Champions League Starbag

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Strix
Shredalicious

Champions League Starbag

Post by Strix » 06 Aug 2013 05:54

The star bag design has been around for a long time. But not like the champions ball.

Does anyone have some suggestions for how to create the templates for this design?

Strix
Shredalicious

Re: Champions League Starbag

Post by Strix » 07 Aug 2013 08:32

I found this page Footbag Stencil/Pattern tutorial.

So using this image from that page and sizing it down to 25-30% for printing. Then playing with the page setup function in firefox on the image from my previous post, I set the image to 65% and printed it off. This setting makes the hex tiles match the previous image set at 30%. I believe these settings will result in a bag slightly bigger than a golf ball but its a start.

Ill be back when I have a product to show...

D.
Shredalicious

Post by D. » 07 Aug 2013 15:38

Nice work Ryan. Never seen a star pattern soccer ball before!!

Here are some tips to making a starbag that I posted about 18 months ago:

"Here's a rough mspaint drawing of the template
I printed out the pent template then carefully ruled the extra lines onto it and cut out the shape that was needed.
Using the template generator you want to make the sides on the pentagon 18 or 19mm. (so they are ~10mm long when the star is cut out. And the hex's 9.5 - 10mm. But this depends on how far from the edge you stitch. If you go really close, probably go with 17-18mm pents and hex's ~ 9.

ps. use 2 stitch so the stars can stretch out into their proper shape

This is my first starbag using my template instructions:
ImageImage
And a really simple way to make templates that last for at least a few bags is to print them onto paper, cover both sides of the template with several layers of clear tape to reinforce, then simply cut it out with sharp scissors."

**Edit** You want to make your stars in the way I show. 'Sharp' or 'pointy' stars will only give you excessive wrinkling.
if you use the star shape with the angles I have drawn out, the bag has potential to be perfectly round without any wrinkles in the star panels.

Strix
Shredalicious

Post by Strix » 08 Aug 2013 02:56

D. wrote:Nice work Ryan. Never seen a star pattern soccer ball before!!

Here are some tips to making a starbag that I posted about 18 months ago:

"Here's a rough mspaint drawing of the template
I printed out the pent template then carefully ruled the extra lines onto it and cut out the shape that was needed.
Using the template generator you want to make the sides on the pentagon 18 or 19mm. (so they are ~10mm long when the star is cut out. And the hex's 9.5 - 10mm. But this depends on how far from the edge you stitch. If you go really close, probably go with 17-18mm pents and hex's ~ 9.

ps. use 2 stitch so the stars can stretch out into their proper shape

This is my first starbag using my template instructions:
ImageImage
And a really simple way to make templates that last for at least a few bags is to print them onto paper, cover both sides of the template with several layers of clear tape to reinforce, then simply cut it out with sharp scissors."

**Edit** You want to make your stars in the way I show. 'Sharp' or 'pointy' stars will only give you excessive wrinkling.
if you use the star shape with the angles I have drawn out, the bag has potential to be perfectly round without any wrinkles in the star panels.
Thank you for the feedback. I was starting to wonder if this forum had lost interest. I used to come hear back in 2008.

I will try your method but im gonna give mine a go first.

Strix

D.
Shredalicious

Post by D. » 08 Aug 2013 14:19

Can't wait to see your attempt!

I think most of the stitchers are still visiting the forums, just not posting.
You'll see a few new pics from me this weekend!

When I get home from work I'll upload a pic of a starbag I made with pointy stars earlier this year.
It came out really quite wrinkly, but kinda cool because the star panels bulge out from the bag, adding a bit of traction.
Overall it's still a great bag, just very ugly.

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 08 Aug 2013 16:15

star bags with wrinkles play hella well. don't matter if they are ugly :)
they are a pain to stitch though, not worth doing too often.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

Strix
Shredalicious

Post by Strix » 09 Aug 2013 13:01

brianbear wrote:star bags with wrinkles play hella well. don't matter if they are ugly :)
they are a pain to stitch though, not worth doing too often.
I would think they are a pain for sure. But a fun challenge. I got some ultrasuede soft coming in, its just a touch thicker than light. Hoping that may take a little er.. floppiness out of the stars.
D. wrote:Can't wait to see your attempt!

I think most of the stitchers are still visiting the forums, just not posting.
You'll see a few new pics from me this weekend!

When I get home from work I'll upload a pic of a starbag I made with pointy stars earlier this year.
It came out really quite wrinkly, but kinda cool because the star panels bulge out from the bag, adding a bit of traction.
Overall it's still a great bag, just very ugly.
I would not say ugly just not perfect ey ;) . I cant wait to get going on this project as well.

Hey I found something sick Graffiti Printed Suede. But at $60+ for a 36"x36" piece of microsuede im hesitant. Graffiti is not the only type of print available. There is an abstract section with some nice designs I would love to see on a panel. I could see this Sea Horse used for the pents or stars and light atlantis or soft active green for the hexes.

Out of curiosity I may have to get a piece of this just to check it out.

D.
Shredalicious

Post by D. » 09 Aug 2013 22:52

Ultrasuede soft will likely be too thick for your starbag, and take a long while to break in properly.
Just use USL, 2 of your thinnest colours for best results!

D.
Shredalicious

Post by D. » 09 Aug 2013 23:10

I remember this being a lot more wrinkly... but I have aages breaking it in to what you see here.
ImageImage

Strix
Shredalicious

Post by Strix » 10 Aug 2013 04:31

D. wrote:I remember this being a lot more wrinkly... but I have aages breaking it in to what you see here.
Looks sweet. I do see what you mean. From looking at it, if the hexagons were a tad bigger or the stars were a tad smaller it may not have the wrinkling / bunching that it has. Plus the amount of gather you have would seem to play a factor as well. Just judging from an image of course...
Last edited by Strix on 10 Aug 2013 05:18, edited 2 times in total.

D.
Shredalicious

Post by D. » 10 Aug 2013 04:53

Haha.
Both bags have the same size hex's and same low gather!
You can't afford to gather much before the bag looks terrible.

If you went for smaller stars and larger hex's it wouldn't really work because you'd have to gather way too much.

Strix
Shredalicious

Post by Strix » 10 Aug 2013 05:22

D. wrote:Haha.
Both bags have the same size hex's and same low gather!
You can't afford to gather much before the bag looks terrible.

If you went for smaller stars and larger hex's it wouldn't really work because you'd have to gather way too much.
I was thinking either smaller stars or larger hexes, not both. How would 0 gather look?

UPDATE:

After reviewing my template, I realized the optimal star is warped in the opening image. So I dug up a new star, its scale must be set to 35% in the page setup while using firefox. This star works with the adidas hex from the original image.

Just keeping a log of all findings and adjustments...

Strix
Shredalicious

Post by Strix » 16 Aug 2013 21:41

Ok its done. The sizes I projected created a bag that is 2.5" diameter rather than 1.5". I will need to adjust the scale a little more to hone this down to golf ball size.

The bag is made of 12 USS stars ( 6 - Burnt Orange, 6 - Majestic Purple ) and 20 USL hexes ( 6 - White, 7 - Light Blue, 7 - Fuschia? ).

5 color hybrid.

Show Size Star Bag next to Pro Size Standard Bag:

Top view of Orange Stars:

Top view of Purple Stars:

I apologize for the images. Had to use my web cam since the sd card for my Nikon is missing. Drove 45 miles to get a new battery and no memory card grrr.

I slammed this bag together. It is a test bag. I wanted to make sure the templates would create a nice round bag and that the stars would not end up distorted or wrinkled. Im satisfied with the outcome of the bag in that regard. In fact im stoked with the results. Now its a matter of scaling the templates down to get to a 1.5" diameter.

Strix 8)
Last edited by Strix on 17 Aug 2013 17:13, edited 1 time in total.

D.
Shredalicious

Post by D. » 17 Aug 2013 04:45

Nice work man! They look really good.
Keen to see when you have it really refined!

Strix
Shredalicious

Post by Strix » 17 Aug 2013 17:40

I have taken the time to re-size my templates. Lowered the scale to 55% on the Hex and 30% on the star. This new size is an 1/8" smaller on all sides than the original.

Should have a bag shortly...

Strix
Shredalicious

Post by Strix » 18 Aug 2013 19:32

Well this one is rushed as well. Just testing the panel sizes to verify size. No critique on the stitching just yet. This is using the new size changes.

I think the Atomic pattern looks sick on this design.

Im gonna re-size the templates to 45% & 25% I looked at these sizes but went ahead with the 55% & 30%...

Strix
Shredalicious

Post by Strix » 23 Aug 2013 11:36

Still not perfect but I got the size zero'd in. Now it's a matter of perfecting the stitching.

This is a hybrid. Again using USS for the stars and USL for the hex. I did a pretty deep bite and used a 2 stitch method.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 26 Aug 2013 06:17

Those look really sweet.

Strix
Shredalicious

Post by Strix » 26 Aug 2013 11:03

Thanks allot Ken.

The star bag has a ways to go till I feel its good enough. Im seeing the difficulty in the stars. ;)

The spot I circled is a nightmare:

I have some fresh fabric coming, should be here any day now. I need some new color in my life. I have been working with pink, purple, and blue primarily. I have some scraps I ordered recently, but I got the ugly pile sent to me.

Would anyone be interested in reviewing one of these star bags, once I get some of the problem areas in the stitching dialed in?

Strix
Shredalicious

Post by Strix » 29 Aug 2013 17:19

New colors came in today! Woot!!

Image5295 Ultrasuede® Light Extrawide #5295 Sunshine Premium Color
Image8275 Ultrasuede® Soft Premium #8275 Burnt Orange
Image2699 Ultrasuede® Soft #2699 Jazz Blue
Image1292 Ultrasuede® Light Extrawide #1292 Flash Red

I already have a whole bag cut out and ready to go. Its going to be Jazz Blue and Flash Red. Going atomic pattern with the blue.

I also have the image for the templates uploaded, if anyone would like I can post it...