Panel Number

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Vraidave
Shredaholic

Panel Number

Post by Vraidave » 27 Jan 2014 12:16

Now, I'm no footbag pro, but my freestyle game has been improving. I'm always looking to improve more. I like my metal filled bags, and I've heard that for good freestyle one should buy an 8 panel or a 32 panel. However right now, I'm using a 6 panel, and it seems to be treating me just fine. A friend of mine has a 14 panel, and it's wonderful. Anyways, like I said I'm no pro, but my 6 panel seems to work well enough. Is there really an important difference with the number of panels? If so, what is the difference?

Thanks a lot.

David.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Panel Number

Post by brianbear » 27 Jan 2014 23:02

I have stitched and sold very many bags, and I do believe 32 panels is an unnecessary number for such a small bag. 14 panels are my new favorite. It is important that the stitcher knows how to use gather and bite (tightness and deepness of stitching) to create a round yet stally bag... Choosing proper fabrics for the stitching style is also pretty important... thicker hexes (fabric thickness) with thinner squares (or pents) will make a rounder bag while thinner hexes with thicker squares (or pents) will make a floppier bag. Other than that, the filler is pretty important like you mentioned. I also suppose the more panels, the longer the bag will last because of tension and surface area.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 28 Jan 2014 07:42

Alright, so you think I'd be fine buying something other than a boring ol' 32 panel? Thanks a million.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 28 Jan 2014 09:44

yeah, you would be fine without a 32. I would recommend getting a 14 panel from hania, marco h, nick p., ivan i, or myself ;)
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 28 Jan 2014 11:01

I don't stitch anymore, but back when I did, I also switched to 14 panel bags after a while. They rock.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 28 Jan 2014 12:14

Alright. So how much would it cost to comission a metal filled 14 panel from you brian? I didnt see any on freedom footbags. Uh ot may be awhile before i get around to buying one anyway, seeing as i just had to replace the transmission of my automobile.

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 28 Jan 2014 12:36

yeah nathan, i remember a 14 panel connor or dave had from you years ago. it was nice!
i have not yet marketed my 14's, they are underground :)
i do em for $15 shipped within the US. PM me when/if you decide to grab one and i'll hook you up.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 28 Jan 2014 12:56

Thats a good price. What material do you use? Ive never had a facile bag so ive been looking for that. See what the buzz is about haha

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 28 Jan 2014 20:09

i use all sorts of material, and yes facile (ultrasuede light) is my main one.
also use amaretta and microsuede on request. stainless steel filler!
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 28 Jan 2014 22:35

Wonderful! I appreciate it a bunch. Next time i come by some money (or decide that a car can wait) you can probably expect a pm from me :)

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 09 Jun 2014 08:21

Between 14 and 32 panels is ideal. Anything under 14 usually isn't round enough, and anything over 32 panels usually is too rolly. Just my opinion, but I recommend staying in the 14-32 range.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 09 Jun 2014 08:31

I thoroughly dislike shredding 14 panels. That's just me.

32's for the win.