beginner stitching

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
lastchance
Circle Kicker

beginner stitching

Post by lastchance » 25 Apr 2014 06:51

greetings...
i’m a 34 yr. old guy that lives in PA.....i used to play in circles back in the 90’s...i can do some stalls but thats about it...i’ve been snooping around here for a week or so.....so i stitched up a 4 panel, 2 panel and 6 panel out of an old jacket i found in my attic...it was some kinda thick suede and really hard to stich together....
so then i figured i’d try some more complex patterns....32 panels is a big step from 6...got a pair of my sons old corduroy pants that he’d grown out of and some swimming trunks that kinda felt like they would work....i stitched this up for my daughter for easter...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

i’ve made a couple of more out of another jacket i found up in the attic and it really seems to be a material that would work...i did them all by hand....then i got out my daughters sewing machine and made a couple of mesh bags with elastic closers fashioned from the jacket liner to hold a couple of footbags....these have been super fun projects.

having problems with sand filler....i stitched one up that i thought would be tight enough to hold it...sand leaked out of the corners i think..or in between stitches...tried making a liner....didn’t seem much better....sand is like water.

i stitched these up with material from an old jacket and spider wire which is my all time favorite string....don’t even try to break it with your hands...fillers are airsoft pellets, BB’s, plastic beads from a crocheted bag....and sometimes i try sand....

on tv i saw a lady in china playing with a footbag with a ribbon/tail...i thought that was pretty cool so i did one up like that....

latest idea was to make a glow in the dark bag...i got an old piece of hotwheels track that glows in the dark, scavanged from my kids toy box....i used my metal punch to pop out some small disks and then punched a hole in the middle of each....i’m stitching one on to each pent as i go...

Crit and Comment welcome.....

lastchance
Circle Kicker

Re: beginner stitching

Post by lastchance » 28 Apr 2014 03:58

if anyone cares...here's some things....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 28 Apr 2014 04:17

The bottom right one stands out. I'd take an example from that one and practice that pattern. But overall, they all look playable. 8)
I hate bad form and I'm a hypocrite.

Vojta

lastchance
Circle Kicker

Post by lastchance » 28 Apr 2014 07:58

thanks for the reply man

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 01 May 2014 22:08

Interesting bags - I am curious what pattern/ gather templates you are using to get those results. Comparing to the "standard" (and I say that very loosely because everyone has their preferences) 32 panels, you have much smaller pentagons than hexes. Not sure if it is the fabric you are using or the stitch consistency, but they seem to be bunching up significantly, leading me to believe that you might be gathering them too much for their size. Granted, all of these observations are comparing your bags to the usual 32 panels that freestylers stitch and play with - there is no correct way of making bags, only a generally accepted method that evolves through the years. If you are serious about stitching (well, selling the bags you make) and wish to get bags that look closer to what other stitchers are producing, look at some of the templates posted online and on my youtube stitching tutorial - if you are content with the bags you are making and you like how they play, keep doing your thing! This is just my constructive criticism that I am typing at 2:00 am on a Friday - If I come off as offensive, please know that I don't mean to :D

If you want more tips or criticism, post some inside-out pics or ask for it, having learned how to stitch only two years ago, I have a lot of advice still fresh in my mind from when I was learning (and still am). It has turned into a small side hobby for me that helps pay for my footbag addiction.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!