Clipper Rail ?

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
marc
Multidex Master

Clipper Rail ?

Post by marc » 26 Jul 2004 18:35

I've seen people speak of a clipper rail modification on shoes using shoe glue, but could someone explain exactly what it is ? Pictures ? Thanks.
Marc Reinecker

BrianW
BSOS Beast

Post by BrianW » 26 Jul 2004 19:08

most people do it to the new balance shoes (both the 300 and 540s or whatever the numbers are). ive never done it, but you pretty much make a better stalling surface using whatever materials. shoe goo or what-not. sorry im no expert. im sure someone else can give great details.
Every man has their technique, and they are all different......when you know mine.....youll be dead.

Brian Warner

King Monkey
Post Master General

Post by King Monkey » 26 Jul 2004 20:59

yeh i think the New Balance shoes need it cos the inside surface is not particularly good for clippers.. so it needs to be built up a little.. with the lavers its not really necessary.. u should be careful doing it with Lavers because it could become a sort of 'crutch' that allows u to do better clippers but causes ur technique to get worse... i am so tempted to do it to mine because my ankles are crappy, but i think its more respectable not to use any added extras on ur shoes to make it easier
Ian Pritchard - http://www.ausfootbag.org

'People, just play Footbag and stop being dickheads!' - Michał Biarda

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 26 Jul 2004 22:07

I agree with king monkey, i mean we need a little help not all shoes are great but makeing The Pefect Shoe would kinda ruin the fun. Im sure if you wanted to design a Footbag Perfect shoe you could, but why? If someone would make a shoe with all the right Cruves an nice deep dips in the shoes then you could stall to easy :? in a way i gess thats good i mean being for real id probly buy a pair but i dont think this is nessarey to do to lavers...

Dont licen to me... im a nub

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 27 Jul 2004 03:54

zachatree wrote:I agree with king monkey, i mean we need a little help not all shoes are great but makeing The Pefect Shoe would kinda ruin the fun. Im sure if you wanted to design a Footbag Perfect shoe you could, but why?
To allow the sport to progress...

Clipper Rail: Add shoe goo to the instep of a shoe to make the stalling surface flat. It's not cheating the game, it's working with better equipment because there still is not a shoe specifically designed for footbag. Why wouldn't you want to design a perfect footbag shoe?
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

marc
Multidex Master

Post by marc » 27 Jul 2004 19:35

Does anyone have pictures of their shoe with a clipper rail ? I'd like to see what it looks like...
Marc Reinecker

sPinko-Mania
Multidex Master

Post by sPinko-Mania » 28 Jul 2004 01:05

Why wouldn't you want to design a perfect footbag shoe?
Yeah, no-one is going to pick big puffy vans over lavers, or some crappy crochet bag over a sandbag or 32 panel, because what's the point of making an already testing sport even harder. Especially when we haven't even touched the boundaries of where we can go with it yet.

I mean, by the same reasoning we should go play footbag in the dark with a pair of clogs and some parachute pants y'know?

I used to have terrible clippers. When I first started out in my old cons I was closer to hitting xbody ankle than I was to clipper when I tried for clipper, it was that bad. Eventually I schooled it enough and it's ok, although a couple of months ago I did try a really small clipper rail of shoe goo on my lavers. It was probably 1/2 a cm in height and about 5 cm long. I couldn't notice the difference and ripped it off.
If I went hard with the shoe goo and made quite a big rail I think it would help, but I'm at the stage where it would probably lead to bad form, and I don't really need/want it.
Ben Spink McCarthy
They say God lives inside us. If this is true, I hope he likes salmonella. Because that's what he's getting.

ericksonj
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ericksonj » 28 Jul 2004 08:27

I would not use the clipper rail for lavers, as they already have a nice flat surface and it does not seem to be necessary.

As far as a clipper rail somehow being cheating or making the game too easy, try playing in a pair of unmodified lavers and see how much you like them. The whole goal of modifications is to attempt to create a perfect footbag shoe out of less than perfect running/tennis shoes.

If you are looking at switching to a high performance shoe, then I would recommend going with the New Balance CT 300s or the CT 520s. The 520s are better in my opinion, because the toe rails are shorter and they have MUCH better traction on the sole. Bottom line if you want your legs to be less sore and have more spring in your step, then switch over to the new technology. Lavers are very old technology, wear out extremely quickly if you shred hard, and provided very little in the way of support.

The only problem with the new balance shoes is that the clipper area is fairly round near the sole. The canvas part is perfectly flat, but the rubber/plastic part of the shoe isn't. The way I apply my clipper rail is to run a thick bead of shoe goo along the inside of the shoe at the bottom near the sole. Let it dry somewhat so it is plyable but doesn't stick to your hands, and then you can mold it to be exactly how you want it. You can always add more layers if necessary even before the shoe goo has totally dried. Don't make the rails too high, as they have a tendency to hook the bag on a clipper set if they are too high. The ultimate goal is to make that bottom edge flat so the bag won't roll off if it hits that area. 9 times out of ten you will catch it on the canvas part, but if it even touches the bottom area without the clipper rail the bag will roll... try it :wink:

The new balance shoes also perform much better if you cut the foam padding out of the tounge near the toe and take off a layer under the toe. Make sure not to cut the canvas... you know the drill, same as lavers. This makes the toe area much flatter and it is then mostly canvas. A thin layer of padding can be cut out from inside the shoe of the clipper area too. Its not necessary, but may help with feel of the bag... Again it is not a very thick layer of foam there.

All of these modifications come from either Richie, my own experiments, or with talking to other BAP/non BAP freestylers that love the New Balance shoes. I think everyone should try this shoe if they have the means. It can really step up your game.
Last edited by ericksonj on 28 Jul 2004 11:47, edited 1 time in total.
Always Shreddin
James Erickson
Eugene Footbag Association (Orton, Nasty, Me)
w/ new additions (Casey, Alex, Eddie, and Shawnell)

marc
Multidex Master

Post by marc » 28 Jul 2004 10:29

Thanks ! I think I'm pretty set on getting the 520's as my next shoe, although I do have some time left with my lavers.
Marc Reinecker

richardabshire
Fearless

Post by richardabshire » 29 Jul 2004 11:58

There are two things to remember about clipper rails. One they can help with the stalling and setting. Two they can limit the area you can stall on. If the bag lands right on the rail, the bag is gone. If you build the wrong rail, if could hurt your game alot. Test and keep testing your stall spots before putting clipper rails on your shoes. Hope this helps,Richie