Colouring Lavers

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Ph33rh4x
Hack Fiend

Colouring Lavers

Post by Ph33rh4x » 12 Sep 2004 13:19

Has anyone coloured their lavers before and what would be the best way to go about doing it? I have a pair of white lavers that I want to colour black. I was thinking black perminant markers, but would that fade alot and/or come off on to the footbag since the two surfaces are being rubbed together so much? If anyone has any other ideas or what worked best for you pls post :)
Thanks in advance, Aaron

quadgun
can't dex

Post by quadgun » 12 Sep 2004 13:28

its times like these i wish we didnt have the summer clean up

some people use permanent marker ... and i guess once it rubs off u can just color them again .... or just get ur lavers really really dirty ... like jump in some mud, that'll do it

FreeStylist
Multidex Master

Post by FreeStylist » 12 Sep 2004 13:50

heres a link to colering yours shoes on flipsider http://www.flipsider.com/forum/phpBB2/v ... ing+lavers
John Fitzmorris~(15)~
~Footbag, Sport Of Champions~

brian relly
fan-tas-tic

Post by brian relly » 12 Sep 2004 13:56

Just use one of the thicker sharpies, and reapply it about twice a week or so. Works great.
esteban barnez
myspace.com/rawcakes
david wrote:I was just sitting here surfing and my mom looks over my shoulder. I had to jab down the down key real quick so she wouldn't see that topic title and question me about what kind of site I was going on.

Ph33rh4x
Hack Fiend

Post by Ph33rh4x » 12 Sep 2004 14:06

i think i might try that watered down acrylic paint

JFootbagger
Fearless

Post by JFootbagger » 12 Sep 2004 18:00

RitDye kids, RitDye.

How to Apply:
all right how I applied the dye on to my shoe was take an old rag and pour the dye into a dish/bowl/container etc. and basically dipped it in and stained the mesh. WEAR GLOVES! You WILL get dye ON your hands so make sure you wear gloves. Another thing is tape up where you don't want to get dye on. I used painters tape...but I think scotch tape or duck tape or electrical (friend recomends this) tape would do a good job. After you're done dying...take a blow dryer and blow the hell out of your lavers.

Pro's about Ritdye:
-won't make you're lavers stiff
-not to hard to apply

Cons about Ritdye:
-messy
-although easy, does take SOME time

IMPORTANT: Extra dye will rub off and make anything it touches black. After you're done staining, I would try applying water proof sealent on your shoe. The best thing I've found is rubbing off all the extra dye on the shoe AFTER it is dry with a paper towl or an old rag. Once you wear your shoes in, and get all excess dye off...they should be good. Color might fade a little, but not TOO much. And I wouldn't wear these shoes in the DOWN POURING rain. As far as that. I'll get you guys a pic. of how my shoes are doing.
Jordan Wong
basics=tricks=strings=people dropping their jaw in amazement
-Footblog! Check it out!
Enter My Mind

Ph33rh4x
Hack Fiend

Post by Ph33rh4x » 12 Sep 2004 18:05

where could i find this RitDye?

edit: nevermind, i asked my mom about it and she says she's seen it before and knows where to get it, so ill be dying my lavers tomorrow most likely :) but one other question, will the dye work on the hard rubbery part at the bottom of the shoe that goes all the way around? if not no big deal ill just use a sharpie on that part.

lightningbolt
Nothing Vulgar

Post by lightningbolt » 12 Sep 2004 18:31

I don't belive so.

Make sure you post pictures when your done!
I think I going to take over Canada. You should help.
Get Firefox!

Ph33rh4x
Hack Fiend

Post by Ph33rh4x » 13 Sep 2004 11:44

ok just finished dying them, theyre drying now. They looked kind of dark blue, but i think theyll turn out black when theyre finished drying. If not ill try dying them again maybe that will get them darker. Ill be posting pics when theyre all dry.

JFootbagger
Fearless

Post by JFootbagger » 13 Sep 2004 12:09

Dying the rubber part is hard. I tried to and it comes out a little faint...so I tried covering it with marker (eh...not as good.) If you want a darker color...just keep putting on coats of dye.

WARNING: Dye MAY come off the rubber if it rains or something.
so I'd go with sharpie or somethin'.
Jordan Wong
-Footblog! Check it out!
Enter My Mind

Ph33rh4x
Hack Fiend

Post by Ph33rh4x » 13 Sep 2004 14:06

bah! my digicam is broken so i cant take any pics, but they turned out black like i had hoped. Jfootbagger you're right, the rubber at the bottom doesnt take the dye very well, mine turned to a light grey colour but it looks decent. Not sure if im going to take the sharpie to it yet.

AIvanyo
BSOS Beast

Post by AIvanyo » 13 Sep 2004 16:39

nice, that pic on flipsider was sweet as hell!!
Andrew Ivanyo

Representing The Ministry of Silly Walks

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 14 Sep 2004 13:52

hey I know people color there lavers and stuff, but has anyone ever tried drawing or writing on there footbags, like really tiny symbols on the pannels or spelling something out one letter per pannel, would this hurt the footbag? Just wondering, because I think it would look very cool.
Dustin Rhodes

JFootbagger
Fearless

Post by JFootbagger » 14 Sep 2004 15:24

actually I have. I have my white/navy lavers and I wrote Chinese characters on the side with a sharpie. It turned out great 8)
Jordan Wong
-Footblog! Check it out!
Enter My Mind

Shaun
Fearless

Post by Shaun » 14 Sep 2004 15:50

He meant on a footbag.

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 14 Sep 2004 19:50

Yeh I have written on my lavers and stuff but I was wondering about footbags themselves. Your lavers sound cool though.
Dustin Rhodes

Seath
Craptacular Spatula

Post by Seath » 15 Sep 2004 08:44

My lavers have a big CC on the outside of the right shoe and FC on the outside of the left shoe and the backs are all black and and and Moshers shoes will get him into swanky clubs now they're so black and shiny
The Goggles do nothing.

Do you like Mazes?!
Read my blog!

Juana
BSOS Beast

Post by Juana » 15 Sep 2004 10:51

You can buy RitDye at most grocery stores and drug stores.
I prefer other brands that offer a cooler array of vibrant colors.

I've always found the nylon mesh and rubber don't absorb the dye as well...the cotton and leather parts look good though. Mel Schneider has some badass embroidered lavers.

other strange thing i did several years ago (for trivia's sake) was put silver confetti/glitter type nail polish on the rubber...looked cool when performing under lights.

Scott davidson has some funky lavers he drilled holes in the rubber and pushed blinking lights (earrings?) in so they flashed when he turned them on. that was kind of cool.
Jane Zerbe
RCS

JFootbagger
Fearless

Post by JFootbagger » 15 Sep 2004 13:33

Actually Jane, RitDye is compatable (mind spelling) with Nylon. Went to their site one day and it says it can dye Nylon. Sure, it might not take it as WELL as cotton or leather, but it can be done. When staining, make sure you get a nice, thick coat of dye on. AND MAKE SURE TO RUB IT OFF (after dried) ONCE IN A WHILE. The Extra dye will come off but it shouldn't affect the color TOO much.

as for doing something on my FOOTBAG...I haven't...good idea though...but I wonder if it'd affect it's playing ability.

Random "WOOT" of the day:
I hit Fairy BSOS and sealed it! WOOT (ha I'm such a newb)
Jordan Wong
-Footblog! Check it out!
Enter My Mind

Juana
BSOS Beast

Post by Juana » 15 Sep 2004 13:37

Oops, that's what I meant...that it didn't take well on the nylon. It did a little something...not much though. It's been years since I've done it, but I've dyed at least 5 different pairs in the past. I usually get a big bucket and just dunk my shoes entirely and leave them there for several hours. even then, the rubber and nylon don't take well...a little better, but not great. maybe i don't have the magic touch. ;-)
Jane Zerbe
RCS