Making bags: instructions/tutorials

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 24 Aug 2006 15:17

I use glovers needles, size 3
Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 25 Aug 2006 13:56

Some have argued that using a Glover's needle helps make the stitching process much easier, since you don't have to apply so much pressure when making a hole through two layers of facile or any type of fabric. Glover's needles were originally used to stab through leather.

However, some people have said that the use of Glover's needles can be a bit risky. Instead of going through the fabric like a typical rounded sharp tip needle, Glover's needles slice through. The holes that are produced literally cut a portion of the facile's foundation instead of forcing them apart like a regular needle, therefore weakening the fabric just a bit.

Though that can be the case, if you're confident in your needle placement then this matter is minute. Only if you stab with the Glover's needle at the same region countless times will it drastically weaken the facile/fabric.

I use the Glover's needles from the Kingston Footbag website.
Last edited by Wasabi on 25 Aug 2006 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

BenRea
modiphile

Post by BenRea » 25 Aug 2006 14:29

great tip waylon, that helps and makes me feel a little bit better about not purchasing a glovers needle, instead i got a strong rounded tip needle.
Ben Rea

Twix
Circle Kicker

Post by Twix » 31 Aug 2006 14:01

Anyone with a 2-panel directions or tips?
Paul Garcia

brinard
Flower Child

Post by brinard » 31 Aug 2006 14:31

nvm. stitch it. dont sew it. thats how. line up the pattern right, and just go for it. your first one wont be very good i imagine, so be prepared to make a few.

Twix
Circle Kicker

Post by Twix » 31 Aug 2006 14:49

thats the problem :oops: how do you line up the bag?
Paul Garcia

brinard
Flower Child

Post by brinard » 31 Aug 2006 14:57

like a baseball.

if you dont know what it looks like, surf bags by ne stitch, and cod makes em. dont bother him about them. sometimes you have to figure things out for yourself. esp if its as easy as this.

Twix
Circle Kicker

Post by Twix » 01 Sep 2006 09:31

all right then, ill find out by myself! thanks for your help :roll:
Paul Garcia

johnl583
Shredaholic

Post by johnl583 » 10 Jan 2007 11:16

When you r stitching the second hex in a 32p bag, do you go through the small side hex that is already stitched form the first hex? If you go through the small hex twice, the bag has no bleedhole. If I don't go through the small hex twice, some sides have 7 holes and some have 6. What do I do?

Also is it good to gather the bag completely or make it a little looser than full gather?
John Lee

PM me for a trade.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 15 Jun 2007 15:08

-Where is a good place to order material? ("ultra suede light", right?)
-What is a good price for ultra suede?
-What quantity and colour selection is suggested for someone who has done very, very little to no stitching?
-Same questions for filler

I want to start stitching as soon as possible.
Please advise if there are other factors to be taken into consideration. I read this whole thread and others, but surely have missed things, I feel.

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 15 Jun 2007 16:52

fieldsfabrics.com

That's about the best price you'll find. You can get samples from ultrasuede.com. Maybe that's the best place to start. The samples are big enough for a bag or two.

The smallest amount you can get (until you find out if you like it)

I don't know very much about filler though, sorry. :(

I would suggest starting stitching using floss as a thread. Glover's needles are not necessary. If you use floss, you can burn the knots instead of actually making knots.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 15 Jun 2007 18:51

Don't get Aqua or Tan Paisely on fieldsfabric. Those are the two colors that can easily break apart in a bag's break-in process.

You can get steel shot here: http://precisionreloading.com/steel_shot.htm. I use size 7. 5- 10 lbs from that site can easily get you started. As for lead, you can get that locally around your area, I believe. I don't know the usual pricing for that.

Man, Erik Chan stitching bags! Super cool. :)
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 04 Jul 2007 07:54

Some more newb questions:
1) Are the big sides of the hexagons and the sides of the pentagons supposed to be different lengths? (If so, why?)
2) It's one thread all the way around one pentagon, attaching 5 hexagons, right?

That's all for now. I think the answer is yes to both, but I'm not sure, and I haven't started yet, so I figure I may as well ask rather than screw up later.

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 04 Jul 2007 08:52

1. Yes and no. Maybe. The reason I say this is because this is what makes every one bag that every stitcher makes unique. :) Though, in my general observation, having a larger sized hex (long side) will make and prevent and loose filler from escaping the bag, and allows a bit more freedom for the feel of your 32s in terms of stitching the bleed holes.

2. Yep. One thread all around.

I'll give you tips and a small tutorial at Worlds, Erik! :P
NYFA represent.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 06 Jul 2007 06:34

!
I'm a minute away from finishing my very first 32!
I've completely stitched it, and loosened the last two sides to flip it inside out (to avoid blind stitching...), but I have a couple more questions before I'm done:

1) How do you gather the last panel??
2) How do you knot the last stitch?

Thank you so much (if someone answers)! My bag is a teeny bit uneven -- cutting and stitching wasn't spot on, I guess -- but I'm very excited and I will post pictures later. I'm totally getting paid to stitch at work right now.

sanuke okumatzu
Fearless

Post by sanuke okumatzu » 06 Jul 2007 06:44

You gather the last panel by pulling the loose stitches in, and then for each side you need to stitch LIGHTLY tug on them until the panel starts to gather.

As for how to tie the last knot, there are many different views on this. If you start/stop on hex/hex panels then you just tie the knots, be careful not to wrinkle the panel. Then cut the excess string so that you have about 1/4-1/2in of string, after that just stuff the bit of string you have thru the bleed-hole and voila :D
As the universe is curved, there cannot be a straight answer...

-Robert Baker-

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 06 Jul 2007 08:16

Thanks guys :)

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 06 Jul 2007 10:37

sanuke okumatzu wrote:As for how to tie the last knot, there are many different views on this. If you start/stop on hex/hex panels then you just tie the knots, be careful not to wrinkle the panel. Then cut the excess string so that you have about 1/4-1/2in of string, after that just stuff the bit of string you have thru the bleed-hole and voila :D
And if you double-threaded (meaning you slipped your thread into the needle then tied a knot - floss and other types of thread utilize the double-threaded method), then you may have anchored your first hole from when attaching the pentagon and hexagon when you started stitching that panel. For that, you just simply connect and knot with the anchor and tie it off. Burning a bulb is optional, dependent on the thread used.
NYFA represent.

sanuke okumatzu
Fearless

Post by sanuke okumatzu » 06 Jul 2007 11:49

I always start on hex/hex , for some reason that's much easier than staring on pent/hex joints...Just me though :D
As the universe is curved, there cannot be a straight answer...

-Robert Baker-

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 07 Jul 2007 23:06

Filler buying question (for Canada)
Does anyone know where I can get tungsten in Canada?
Preferrably locally, 'cause I imagine that would be costly to ship. Plus, what is it, and what size, etc.? I mean when you go to the store, what are you asking for? Tungsten BBs? I dunno.

Also, and if not, or if it is super expensive, does anyone know where, in Canada, I can get the appropriate size of steel shot? What size does everyone use?
Andrew used size 7, and it seemed like a good size, but the place that he got it from moved and the new location says that they never carried it and never will. I went to anotehr store and they said that they don't have it and won't, because "it is too small to kill anything". Any suggestions there? The steel shot that I did find was at least 4 times bigger than what is in bags that I have purchased...