Michelle Ellen Francis goes on a Footbag Eurotour - Blog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
EllenFrancis
Circle Kicker

Michelle Ellen Francis goes on a Footbag Eurotour - Blog

Post by EllenFrancis » 27 Feb 2014 00:55

I get to officially say hello to modified today! Hello! I am told this is a big deal, so I am very excited right now.

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Michelle, and I happen to be married to Jay "the Creator" Boychuk. If you have been reading his blog, you may already know that since June, we have been doing this crazy thing where we run around Europe, working, learning, and exploring without (very many) cares. However, after a Christmas-break visit back to Canada, we have returned to Europe once more, but this time with a project-focus. Jay and I are coordinating, planning, and creating content for the Sport/Life Footbag Eurotour.

http://sportslashlife.com/sportlife-pre ... tbag-tour/
(I don't want to spam this link or anything, but the poster image is my first "professional" graphic, and took me a long time to make, so I am kind of really proud of it.)

My first trip to Europe (June - December) was filled with new experiences, and had opened my eyes to so much more of the world than I ever thought I would see. As well, I met and made friends with a bunch of footbaggers, and gained a remarkable insight as to how incredible the community is. This "round two" has been a learning experience for me on a different level, and I figured that I could make a blog about it. I get to write about my travels, and you guys can learn about/keep up with what is going on behind the scenes of this tour. Hopefully my reason for a non-footbagger making a blog here is valid, and I don't start some kind of uprising.

Anyways, we are currently hanging out in a ski cabin in Salla, which is within the Arctic Circle in Finland, 30km from the Russian border. Already, Jay and I have been to Prague, Gdansk, and Turku to work on this project. I have blog entries planned for what we did in those places, and hopefully I can do it so that my entries eventually catch up with me so that I can end up writing about our "current" events.

So, I will end here, for now. See you soon!

Oh, 14-year-old Michelle. I wonder what you would have thought if someone showed you this...

boyle
Post Master General

Re: Michelle Ellen Francis goes on a Footbag Eurotour - Blog

Post by boyle » 27 Feb 2014 03:10

I think it's going to be great to read about the tour from a "non footbag" point of view....maybe you won't be so non-footbagger after months of hanging about with these characters!

I think it will be great, and hopefully help to create even bigger and better projects down the line.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 27 Feb 2014 03:41

Neat! I look forward to reading about your adventures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 27 Feb 2014 07:34

More photos of Jay with stuffed animals please.

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 27 Feb 2014 10:50

That's actually Ellen in the hoodie with Mr. Badger on her head.

Ellen is the narrator voice in the newest tutorial videos I made last summer. Go, Ellen, go!

EllenFrancis
Circle Kicker

Post by EllenFrancis » 01 Mar 2014 15:42

Our trip began with a long train ride from Venice to Prague. This was the first of many long train rides across Europe I would be making, but I didn't think about that at the time. The train connected in Munich, where we had about 30 minutes to buy a SIM card before our second train departed.

Reflecting on it now, it was interesting having a familiarity with the Munich HBF I had been to several times back in July. After spending time at home in Canada, it was kind of a reminder that the whole trip was real. That I didn't just dream up this "Europe" and that I actually have mental maps of places that are nowhere near each other.

On the way, I began to try out some effects on the Fearless 25 poster, and generally tried to make the trip as productive as possible. Jay and I were really excited about actually putting everything we talked about into reality, but we had the feeling that we had more questions than actual plans at this point. As soon as Honza picked us up from the station, I knew that coming here first was a good idea. He and Jay ended up staying up until all hours of the morning chatting about our ideas and plans for the tour, and our vague idea was given more form.

During this week, we obtained an incredible insight into Honza's life. Accompanying him in his daily activites for a while was extremely eye-opening. During his "not too busy" week, he created a routine with electroswing dancers, performed at two or three high-end hotel events, did a TV shoot for a show on the BBC, and somehow managed to fit in a footbag/football training session with Lucaso, Jindra and Jay. In-between these outings, he was on and off the phone with various contacts, and constantly responding to emails. We couldn't accompany him to all of his demos, so we spent a bunch of time at his place, working on images or videos. But, for the most part, we tagged along with him, trying to learn all we could from him.

During this leg of the trip, the main running theme in my mind was thinking about how much effort it really takes to be "professional" at anything. When I was told that a major part of my work for the tour would involve updating social media like Twitter and Foursquare, as well as making images and posters, I figured I had the easiest job out of anyone. That is basically what I do in my spare time, anyway! Plus, how can "social media management" be a full time job? It didn't take me long to learn that the gap between doing something for fun, and doing it "professionally" is very real.

Suddenly I found that I had to think about every single action I made, and try to foresee how the general public would receive it. It is easy to think of Facebook as your own "private" forum just for you and your friends. It is so simple to write whatever you want, and to post anything without even blinking. However, when you are participating in something on a very public level, you start to have to consider how ANYONE will receive your work. Not just friends who know you, but strangers from anywhere with any background, be it someone from the footbag community, or someone who happened to stumble across a page. The internet is all-encompassing that way.

This mindset affected my image designs, as well. I had to look at my work extremely closely, from the perspective of someone who has no background with me or the tour. What I make has to be understood by both footbaggers and non-footbaggers alike. Honza helped out a lot with this, as he has an incredible amount of experience presenting himself and his work to the general public. I learned to review EVERYTHING before publishing, and to show my finished work (read: work that I thought was finished, but always ends up being hours away from complete) to select people to get opinions. Corners could not be cut. Will someone notice this line of text is slightly larger than the others? Should I move this graphic slightly lower so that it lines up with the background the tiniest bit better? The projects I do just for fun definitely didn't require this amount of scrutiny, as I knew that they would be kept safely tucked away inside my computer, away from public eyes.

In all, during my stay in Czech, I gained a more "professional" mindset, as well as much more confidence in what we are doing. This "tour" idea that we chatted about freely back in December was given a tangible form. Plans were laid out, questions were answered, and we were now ready to fully take the reins and get this thing going.

I am really glad we get to do a project like this. If this is how much I've learned in a single week, I can't even imagine how many more life experiences I will get by the time it is over. I don't think I would trade that for a few months of working at McDonalds while anxiously awaiting some big company to think about hiring me to photocopy things for them.

Thanks for reading, people. As a reward, check out this adorable comic I saw this morning.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 03 Mar 2014 11:18

It is definitely a lot of time spent getting the details to organise the demostrations etc, particularly if you are planning on being paid on time, I think it was great you started out in Prague, Honza is definitely the current person in footbag who is really pushing things on a professional level.

Allan

Post by Allan » 05 Mar 2014 18:37

Hey!
Would you be willing to make up a banner for the Sport/Life promotion(s) for the header of modified? I'm looking to gather 300px x 100px (not very big, I know, but there are technical reasons...) graphics that can link to specific footbag project websites, and this certainly fits the bill :)

Edit: Great job on this project and thanks!!

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 05 Mar 2014 23:31

EllenFrancis here, being silly and forgetting to log Jay out before I post...

Allan, I can do that, no problem :D

Before I forget, I should post that I am managing a twitter and foursquare account for the tour. If you want to follow our movements, check out @FootbagTour on twitter, and Footbag Eurotour on foursquare!

As I write this, I am sitting at the footbag booth at the GOExpo in Helsinki. Jay is kicking with jeans on. Anssi is speaking to small children. Footbag videos are playing in the background. It's a regular day in the neighborhood.

Jay Boychuk

EllenFrancis
Circle Kicker

Post by EllenFrancis » 10 Mar 2014 02:43

I write to you now, on a train from Helsinki, leaving the Go Expo after four days of hanging out at the footbag stand in the convention centre, doing footbag-related things. (You already have enough information to figure out which city we are heading to. Guess. Just take a guess.)

I have much experience attending nerdy comic book conventions in the past, but I have never been to something like Go Expo. It was pretty wild. I was surprised at how many sports were being presented, and how impressively cool everyone made them look. Everything from rugby to rollerblading, and floorball to fly fishing. There was even a sailboat set up that kids could learn how to use, a rock climbing wall, a driving range, and a BMX dirt track. I guess everyone from Footbag Finland was used to this, but the booths and demonstrations from other sports companies were so exciting to me. If I were rich, I would have totally picked up some sweet workout/running clothes, and a few bicycles that are custom-measured to fit you. Oh, also oodles of this delicious vanilla soy yogurt that I got more than a few free samples of. Mmmm... (yeah, I know. I thought it would be gross, too.)

Anyway, the footbag stand did get a lot of attention. The guys ran a little game where kids could try to kick a footbag onto a target to try and win a Footbag Finland promo bag. Jay and I learned what it might feel like to be a carnival worker, picking up the bags that missed and handing them back to the kids over and over and over again. It was repetitive, but seeing children get excited never got old. Their reactions whenever they kicked the bag really close to the target was always priceless.

So, we spent the days selling footbags and trying to avoid speaking Finnish. The group (Aleksi, Tuomas, Anssi and Jana) spent slow periods shredding in the booth area, hence the recent influx of Anssi video. As well, the guys did some demos on the main stage once a day for the crowd. Justin Sexton and the net guys also came and did a game or two for the onlookers. When there wasn't footbag-related things to do, there were always presentations to watch, rollerblading to try out, and various protein bar samples to nibble on. It was all really fun and high-energy, there was a whole lot going on all the time.

While at the booth, I was thinking a lot about how footbag exposure would or wouldn't affect the people coming by. Generally, the kids would kick the bag at the target, win a free footbag and run off to the next thing. Sometimes (surprisingly more often that I had thought) a kid would be pretty good at kicking consecutively. Often, they would see the footbag videos that were playing in the background and ask one of the guys to demonstrate a string for them. I wondered how many of them would actually try it out, or were just trying really hard so that they could get free stuff. I remembered being a kid and collecting things at events like these almost like trophies. Pens, stickers, buttons, or whatever. They were free at events, so that made it cool. I kind of still do that, actually...

There was this one boy, he was maybe 11 or 12, who lingered, alone, at the booth to kick our demo bags. There was a small crowd playing the target game, or talking to one of the guys, so no one was really paying attention to him, but he was doing pretty well toe-kicking consecutively. Jay had mentioned to me earlier that the best quality for a potential footbagger to have is persistence. The kids who do really well on their first try are likely to stop caring sooner than the ones who pick the bag up over and over again, because that is basically what you have to do to get better at footbag, at any stage. This one boy was kicking for at least 10 minutes, which is long for a person who has the option of wandering around a huge expo hall.

The announcement came on that the day was coming to a close, and that guests were to leave soon, but it seemed like this kid wanted to get as much practice as he could while he had the bag. He looked anxiously at his watch every two minutes. I guessed that he was reluctant to go meet up with his family or friends to leave because he didn't win a free bag, but he really wanted to play. So, I grabbed one of the Footbag Finland bags, went over and handed it to him, saying "shh", making it out to look like I was doing it secretly. I turned around to go back to the booth and Jay told me that he had never seen a more genuine grin on a child that was not at Disneyland. When I saw him again, he was on his phone, had shoved the footbag into his pocket, and ran towards the exit smiling like crazy.

I hope that kid gets really, really good. That would be sweet.

Anyways, the Go Expo was really fun, and I now have a memory that can make me giddy if I ever feel down.

Also, check out these sick videos of Anssi from the booth. We took much more footage, so I assume there will be another, more comprehensive video of the expo eventually.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-qB0N0H0TQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZMaDmjoZk4[/youtube]

EllenFrancis
Circle Kicker

Gdansk and Zurich

Post by EllenFrancis » 18 Mar 2014 03:24

So! I had an interesting week...

After Helsinki, we spent two nights at the Happy Seven again, to meet Caroline Birch! She definitely lives up to all the hype I have been hearing about her. I can't even begin to describe how incredible of a person she is. She arrived in Gdansk at night, after several days of travelling from Australia, and somehow managed to stay up and treat us to her bar's new "beer cocktails" and chat until all hours of the morning. (By the way, if you ever wish to try a beer cocktail, get a Funky Monkey. By far, the most superior out of all the flavours, as we established that night.)

On our second day, we went out and took some video of her to eventually make a promo with. I had to do some kicking with her to satisfy Jay's vision, to my dismay. But Caroline's energy was great, and I ended up having fun. We also got to see "Caroline's Backyard", which is what will end up being a beer garden/shred spot behind her hostel. It is a bit overgrown at the moment, but the potential for epic-ness is through the roof. We got so excited about it that all three of us ended up sweeping and clearing up the concrete area for footbag. It is going to be so great, your minds will be blown. Believe me.

That night, we had a few more Funky Monkeys, said goodbye to Caroline, and went to bed to be ready for our 4 AM cab ride to the airport. Flew to Cologne, took some pictures, and then took a train all the way to Zurich. I am getting pretty intimately familiar with this routine.

In Zurich, we met with Tina, Mario, and their absolutely adorable baby. We stayed with them during the weekend of the Swiss Jam, which was extremely nice of them, all things considered. They let us use their bikes to get around the city rather than paying for the tram, and generally are a pretty damn awesome couple.

On Saturday, we all met at this skateboard shop to do some sort of demo. I didn't really understand the point of it, as it seemed to be mainly hanging out and eating sandwiches. Also, for the most part, I took a walk with Mario around Zurich's old town, while he got the baby to sleep, so I missed the "event", if there was any. There, we met up with Aleksi, Rene, Flavio, and Milan (who informed us at this point that he is unable to come on the Eurotour :cry: ).

The Jam itself was pretty cool, being held in a really neat art school workshop, with lots of space. I was surprised that a group of young boys competed. I had never been to a tournament with any real intermediate competition, and it was very awesome to see. The kids really seemed to love it, and treated the competition really well. I got some cool video of the open circle finals, and took some pictures (shameless @FootbagTour plug here). We could have hung out more afterwards, but at this point, Jay and I were feeling very drained from footbag and travelling, so we decided to go back to Tina's. We had one week free before the tour officially starts in Prague, and we had nothing to fill the gap with.

After some inner/outer turmoil, 8+ hours on trains, and a strange series of events, we accidentally found ourselves in Florence, Italy. With two trips left on our Eurail pass to be used before the end of March, we made a plan... which involved a few days vacation... Until Friday, we get to relax, know that our luggage is in a safe location, and not have to worry about making a train connection, or catching a flight. The fact that the temperature is 22 C here, and that the sunshine doesn't seem to end is a nice bonus. :D

Next stop: Official Eurotour!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 18 Mar 2014 06:37

Sounds like lots of cool experiences. The videos and photos add a lot of color too, so thanks for those.

EllenFrancis
Circle Kicker

Post by EllenFrancis » 11 Apr 2014 04:44

Phew! Who knew running a Eurotour would involve being so busy? ... heh...

If you haven't been following us at all on Facebook or Twitter or anything, the gang is now in Austria, and we finished our last school demo here just 1.5 hours ago. ... but I should start from the top.

The Czech leg of the tour was last week, beginning when Anssi and Juho met up with us in Prague on Monday night (March 31st), and lasted until the following Monday (April 7th). We spent the week in the studio that Honza's electroswing video was filmed in, as well as the location for the BBC shoot he did that was featured in our "Week with Honza" special, which was pretty neat. It was cool to have the whole space to ourselves, and hang out together with music, haircuts, and foosball competitions after a day full of school demos. Unfortunately, I think I got sick earlier in the week, and ended up passing it around, so we all ended up with some sort of cough, but I think we dealt with it pretty well.

In total, I think Honza and the guys did five school demos that week, each having 50 - 150 kids attend. Honza, unsurprisingly, also was sick this week, but it just served to impress me further as to how skilled he is at speaking. Being our only Czech speaker for the whole week was a pretty big deal, so he had to be the sole presenter for every demo. Before the show, we would be setting everything up, and it would seem that he was too sick to have any enthusiasm in him. As soon as the mic was turned on, he suddenly turned into Honza-I'm-the-man-Weber, and controlled large crowds of energetic children with ease. It was great that we started this trip off seeing him do his thing. We got a vibe for the presentations in general, and it allowed us to learn a hell of a lot for when we had to plan the demos ourselves in Linz.

Evan joined us the day after our last school demo ended, just in time for Todexon on the weekend. I was excited to finally meet him, having heard so many awesome things about him, but I also felt kind of bad for the timing of which he joined us. He was obviously extremely perky and excited to get started on the tour, but the rest of us were tired, sore, and weary from all the demos, as well as a week full of sickness. Nevertheless, his energy did bring up the morale, and I think Todexon was a success for the team. Evan did amazingly, placing 1st in Sick 3, 2nd in Request, 3rd in Circle, and 5th in Routines. Juho placed 4th in Routines, and Anssi placed a sweet 2nd.

I am really enjoying getting to know all of these players, as well as learning what their style is, and matching it up with their personalities. I think it is kind of cool that I could be just filming someones legs, and know instantly which of the tour members are playing. Evan made a great first impression on me. His energy is awesome, and it was immediately obvious to me how good he is at footbag within the first few seconds of seeing him warm up. What I definitely have learned regarding this, though, is that I can never get tired of seeing Juho play. It doesn't matter if he is dexing, or not dexing, doing something really hard, or just spinning around. He has style for miles. I feel like he even often gets the most initial reactions out of the kids during the demos because he can make every movement look both easy and extremely exciting. I love it.(...yeah, and Anssi is okay, too.)

We got some time with Steve Goldberg, as well, which was really nice. We spent our off-time on the weekend sightseeing with him, and taking walks (some planned, and some unplanned ones...) around Prague. I got a history lesson field trip to see the famous 2008 Worlds event site, and took everyone up to the (also famous) Prague castle lookout. In all, it was a really hard week that felt quite long, but it was also nice to get to be so social. We ended the week off with a well-deserved sleep in hotel beds before bussing off to Linz.

Section 1 in the Eurotour = complete!

It is strange to think that we have so much more of this to go. Usually, a footbag tournament or event is an isolated thing, and real life starts up again immediately afterward. Here, we move right on to the next footbag event without stopping.

Side note: I'm realizing how full of pictures my posts are. I am taking them from several different places. My @FootbagTour twitter account, my foursquare account, Anssi's twitter account, and some of them are photos just hiding out on the computer and haven't been shown the light of day yet. I kind of like to include a lot of them because I feel like they do a better job of showing what is going on than I can describe. Plus, I think they are quite awesome.

Next post will be about Austria and all the fun stuff we are making happen here, and will involve Aleksi joining the gang (who is an hour away from us right now, actually!) I am sure that even more pictures will be included. Someone better stop me or this blog is going to turn into a footbag scrapbook or something.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 11 Apr 2014 06:38

Awesome post! I love all the photos.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 11 Apr 2014 09:32

Sport/Life presents "footbag scrapbook workshop for mothers and grandmothers of footbag players"...

EllenFrancis
Circle Kicker

Austria Week

Post by EllenFrancis » 18 Apr 2014 13:53

So, now that the team is settled at Flavio's place in Switzerland (and all happen to be napping at the moment) I have the time to write a bit about Austria.

Happily, our previous experiences were used so that everything only got better from Czech. The guys did five demos at two different schools in/around Linz, as well as attended the Just Move It sports expo in Wels, did a demo at Eybl (a sporting store) in down town Linz, and stayed overnight at a hall in Lichtenberg for an Austrian Jam. It was a pretty full week, but every successful event just made the next one that much better, and an enormous amount people were exposed to footbag because of it.

This week, the team had to split up because we couldn't all be hosted by one person. Klemens did an amazing job organizing this for us, and I should put a big thanks here to our hosts for agreeing to deal with a bunch of crazy footbaggers. As well, thanks to Christoph and Roman for being our German-speakers during our demos. Everyone was really solid and helped us out a ton, making this week a whole lot nicer than we could have expected.

It was interesting for the team to get to do demos in German, a language most of the group is familiar with, as opposed to Czech, which none of us could even begin to try speaking. It definitely lowered the difficulty level, and made it much easier for the guys to interact with the children during the workshops. I think everyone enjoyed this a lot more, and the kids got much better attention because of it. As well, Evan was now with us, and I liked how the perfomances flowed with four performers plus one local speaker.

It was really fun to see the kids' reactions to hearing that Evan was "from Las Vegas". No other explaination was ever needed. The crowd always went "ooooooooooohhhh!". Since they also re-thought the order in which they presented footbag (circle kicking, then stalls, then a demonstration of freestyle), it made it so that the kids understood how physically hard it was just to kick the bag, and then had their minds blown by freestyle. The reactions to ducking, diving, and spinning tricks were more awesome, and Anssi's build up from ATW to Triple ATW was always intense. It was interesting to see what a simple change in presentation order could do to crowd participation and immersion in the show.

We sold LOTS of bags from Planet Footbag at these schools. Three presentations were done at a sports-oriented school on Wednesday, and we came back for two more at the same school on the Friday. On that last day of demos, kids that attended the Wednesday sessions were flooding in during the Friday presentations to buy bags. Before the last demo was even halfway over, we had sold out of the 60-something Planet Footbags that were brought. It was way more than anyone had expected.

Aleksi joined us at the end of the week, after the last school demo, and we finally got to hang out together as a full team. We did a presentation at Eybl, a large sporting goods store right in downtown Linz, where a kick contest was held for any kids that wanted to try to win some prizes. After that, we had a bunch of time to kill before heading off to Austrian Jam. I found that, especially trying to walk around with five footbaggers, any time we lingered in the street for some amount of time, a hack circle would start, which is fun and problematic at the same time. Though, it is making me feel more comfortable with kicking in public, which is nice. Something that is also problematic at this point is having to move six people from place to place with trams, trains, or cars. It is an interesting challenge, but everything has gone well so far, and we haven't lost anyone yet!

The Austria Jam was held in this sort of sporting club building in the middle of the countryside. The place had a restaurant, a gym, a sauna, and rooms to sleep in. It was a great location to hold a jam, and the surrounding area was gorgeous. The Jam itself involved an awesome spaghetti lunch, a BBQ dinner, beers, sauna time, and lots of footbag. I was more than slightly proud of randomly doing ATW on both sides in front of more than one person, and kicking with the guys until all hours of the morning was really fun. The people who organized the jam did a great job, and I hope that more events will be held there in the future.

Our last day in Austria involved moving out of our various hosts' places and hanging around, waiting for our afternoon train. Aleksi and Juho have been having really intense 2-square games lately, which are really fun to watch. In general, it is hard to be bored with this group, especially when these guys are always giving me things to tweet, and to take pictures of. :P

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 18 Apr 2014 14:36

Best blog post..like ever!

Props x1000

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Apr 2014 16:28

Nice work on the atws! Looking forward to seeing the action from Switzerland.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 mediante Tapatalk

EllenFrancis
Circle Kicker

Post by EllenFrancis » 01 May 2014 02:29

Switzerland was pretty magical. A bunch of the tour members had never been there before, so we spent almost every shred of free time going out and seeing something cool (even in the rain).

The train ride from Linz to Fribourg was the longest travel stretch we have had to take so far, and I was a little worried that the guys would get antsy and go crazy before it was over. Thankfully, the ride was pretty pleasant. Evan knocked himself out with some benadryl for half the journey, Aleksi and Juho played some Finnish card games, Jay stitched some footbags, and I completed Hotline Miami 100% while Anssi watched and gave me moral support as well as reprimand me when I did something stupid. Throw in a background of gorgeous mountain passes speeding by, and I would say I was happy with how it went.

However pleasant, the journey was LONG. It took the better part of eight hours to get to Fribourg, where we were picked up by Flavio and taken to his apartment. Everyone was so tired and goofy by this point so the hay was hit pretty quickly.

The next day, we were led on a casual walking tour around Fribourg by Flavio, before splitting up. Evan, Aleksi and Juho were taken to the city of Bern by Flavio to do a photo shoot, while Jay, Anssi and I toured the town some more. That night, we went to a student party that Flavio organized at a club nearby where we were treated to free beer, amazing deep disco house music, and so. much. dancing. I can safely say that it was the best time I have ever had at a party. Flavio rocks for that. Also, the disco ball was a skull. How badass is that?

The next morning, Flavio arranged for us to have (read: I, tiptoeing over a mass of sleeping bodies in the morning, gave to everyone) a sort of "master pass" for transit in Switzerland. It allowed each of us to take any train, bus, tram, boat, cable car, etc. anywhere in the country for one day. Jay and I used this to see the city of Lausanne before everyone woke up, and then met up with Aleksi in Zurich to do a demo for Gorilla. This involved Aleksi, Jay, and Flavio coaching five young boys in footbag. This was really fun to document, and the kids were enthralled with the guys the whole time. They kept asking to see more and more difficult tricks, which made it difficult for Aleksi and Jay to try saving all their impressive stuff for later. They also couldn't get enough of four square, once they learned the rules. They ended up playing on their own at the end of the session, while Jay tried some crazy tricks in front of the Gorilla van (the fact that there is a Gorilla van at all is also really sweet). All the kids scored some awesome Gorilla swag (including me and Jay, actually. I find the Gorilla sweaters to be way too cool for school), and everyone seemed to have a great time.

We completed our last (and Aleksi's first) school demo at a school nearby. This one was much different from the others, as the school had a much different class schedule. So, instead of doing one or two large group demos, the grade was split up into six small groups, and the demos were run with three rounds of two groups simultaneously in different gyms. It felt a little strange to adjust the plan that we had such a good groove with before, but the team got to interact more closely with the children, and they seemed to really appreciate that and eat up everything and anything the guys said.

For some reason, we were treated as "special guests" at this school, instead of just performers. The whole grade sung a song to us before we started, and the guys did their intro performance on a literal red carpet that they specifically brought out. Is this common? I never experienced this in school. As well, we got to eat lunch in the teachers lounge, where we had easter treats offered to us everywhere we looked. All the staff seemed to be really interested in our tour, and everyone was really happy with us being there.

I guess this school out in the country doesn't get special guests a lot, but before we could pack up, the guys started getting stopped in the hallways by groups of children who wanted their autographs. There ended up being a mini signing-session in the gym just before we left. I was surprised that the kids even wanted MY signature, seeing as all I did was take video, play music, and check up on both demos that were going on. I guess I was wearing the tour shirt, still, and the only female there. Regardless, it was pretty fun to sign binders, and see the kids show their friends excitedly. I thought the whole experience was awesome and hilarious, and was excited to tweet about it until I realized that I was about to upload a large amount of photos of the tour members surrounded by elementary school girls, and felt strange to do at the time. Which is also hilarious.

The end of this school demo was kind of bittersweet. This was our last official "work" day, which was exciting, but it was almost a little sad (for me, at least) to not be doing another school again after all the awesome work we did together. I think it was a pretty sweet experience, overall.

On our last day in Switzerland, we spent the day in Zurich with Rene. The guys did some shred in a subway station, hangouts were had, meals were made, and good times were had. The next morning, we were up bright and early to get to the airport, and we were off to the final destination of this grand footbag eurotour...

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 01 May 2014 06:14

The beauty of Europe is that when you travel for 8 hours, that you can easily travel through three or four different countries, rather than still being in the same state!