Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
boyle
Post Master General

Re: Canberra, Australia via SCL - Daniel Boyle

Post by boyle » 30 Jan 2023 00:09

I've just done an interview with Brian Johnson from Canada, he's doing a movie project. https://sportslashlife.com/footbag-inte ... i-kick-it/

I did a bunch of vlogs from our trip away, this one probably has the better footbag sections.

We are back to school tomorrow, been doing some preparations up to this point, so we'll see how it all goes.

I also did an interview with Matt Kemmer a while back, can't remember if I posted that. https://sportslashlife.com/footbag-inte ... k-footbag/

I have in mind to do some more, but we'll see how busy things get with the starting back of school.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 03 Feb 2023 15:59

I'm excited to have someone to kick with regularly. Khoa has just moved from Vietnam to Canberra. He got in a couple of days ago, we'll have a kick this afternoon. He came out some time ago for something or other, we had a cool kick back then.

I haven't worn my new Quantums much yet. I'm a bit scared of damaging them, so I really only want to play on carpet or the wooden style floor. I might take them next time I go to the gym.

Worlds dates have been announced.

July 26-30 in Medellin, Colombia. I had a great time going to Colombia about 10 years ago, but the dates are not going to work for me as we are heading to Chile in September. Travel is certainly not cheap in these days.

I had a great time on that trip. Long while back now.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Feb 2023 23:08

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoOyKTJgvcl/

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 22 Feb 2023 02:50

I'm kicking with Khoa generally once a week these days. He'll be here for a couple of years, so it's great to have someone to kick with regularly. I've been doing some more freestyle football as well. I haven't done so much of that in recent years, so it's fun to get some cool runs. I also met up with an English freestyle football guy who is living in Sydney a while. We had a fun kick on Monday when I was there to see Alexisonfire.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Co4R-7BAwEh/

Here's a cool little combo from today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Co9R0xhgM3A/

I'm quite sore now as I did about a 30km ride before getting there, was nice to get to some of the Nature Reserves that I haven't been do in a while.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 22 May 2023 17:05

It's been a long while since I have posted here. A few months. After all these years, Covid has finally caught up with me. So not feeling great at the moment, but I should get through it just fine.

Looks like Khoa is going to go back to Vietnam, hopefully he will come back maybe next year. It was good to have a few kicks with him, I'll try and get some clips together into something.

I made a few vlogs over the last few months. Little bits of pieces of footbag in there. Mainly going to see bands.

We had a good weekend this one just gone by, we had a lot of my cousins together in a small town called Culburra. It would have been my Mum's 60th birthday, so we had a bit of a thing for her. It was all quite good. Up until this point afterwards, where I have Covid, but I guess that's just something in the life these days.

Very sad news to hear that Jindra Smola passed away. Apparently he had some kind of heart condition, but he was posting a lot of videos lately with really big tricks.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 23 May 2023 00:09

boyle wrote:
22 May 2023 17:05
It's been a long while since I have posted here. A few months. After all these years, Covid has finally caught up with me. So not feeling great at the moment, but I should get through it just fine.
Yeah the few of us who post semi-regularly have been a bit quiet recently. Anyway, good to see you posted again. Shitty about Covid. I think I had it before it was a thing, December 2019. We came to Japan to visit and I came down with something. I was in bed with a fever for like 3 or 4 days. It was rough. Then we went back to NZ and a few weeks later news started appearing about what would become Covid. Haven't had it since then.
boyle wrote:
Looks like Khoa is going to go back to Vietnam, hopefully he will come back maybe next year. It was good to have a few kicks with him, I'll try and get some clips together into something.
Oh? I thought he was moving there for good, no? Was this a sudden decision? Did he get sick of Australia?

Great vids. Documenting your family's life together is such a good idea. Your kids will be glad they have all the videos of youse together. Also, they are getting so big! I feel like your son's growth has exploded. He is so tall! Time moves so fast eh?
boyle wrote:
Very sad news to hear that Jindra Smola passed away. Apparently he had some kind of heart condition, but he was posting a lot of videos lately with really big tricks.
Holy shit! I had no idea. That is crazy. He was young right? Like 20s or low 30s? This life is insane.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 May 2023 00:44

I think Jindra was just under 30.

I put a post up just to have some of his videos etc together - https://sportslashlife.com/footbag-comm ... dra-smola/

Yeah the aunties were really commenting how much the eldest has shot up recently, he's getting really tall now.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 May 2023 05:49

You're so prolific with the vlog! I kind of wish I vlogged, but so that nobody saw it because I have nothing interesting to say lol. But it looks so fun the way you edit together your highlights! And not just the hacky.

Sorry to hear you caught Covid. Hopefully nothing lingers when you're able to shake it off. I think my wife and I are the only people we know who haven't caught it. I've heard it's really miserable D:

So sad about Jindra, but the fact that he decided to refuse the surgery that would've prevented him from playing footbag speaks to his incredible passion for the sport. What a legend <3

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 May 2023 14:31

Yeah, that seems extra hardcore - he looked to be playing hard lately from things that I had seen on social media. He leaves a lot of legacy in the sport at such a young age.

Funny what you mention in the vlogs, because I kind of make it and will upload it to Youtube, maybe post it here for the few people to have a look at, but I don't really tell anyone about it. But I do like going back and watching the memories.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 23 May 2023 17:08

Muffinman wrote:
23 May 2023 05:49
You're so prolific with the vlog! I kind of wish I vlogged, but so that nobody saw it because I have nothing interesting to say lol. But it looks so fun the way you edit together your highlights! And not just the hacky.
I agree about the vlogging. It never caught on with me. I enjoy seeing scenes from Australia. I'd like to go there one day. Maybe I can find a conference there and spend like a week or so there...
Muffinman wrote:
Sorry to hear you caught Covid. Hopefully nothing lingers when you're able to shake it off. I think my wife and I are the only people we know who haven't caught it. I've heard it's really miserable D:
I've heard it can be miserable, but also know people who said they didn't even know they had it. Weird.
Muffinman wrote:
So sad about Jindra, but the fact that he decided to refuse the surgery that would've prevented him from playing footbag speaks to his incredible passion for the sport. What a legend <3
Wow I didn't know he refused surgery. That is dedication to the sport.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 May 2023 19:03

Yeah, not too bad on the Covid front.

It wouldn't surprise me if I already had it at some point (schools are renowned for breeding various ailments). The rest of my family all had it about a year ago, but I didn't get it at that time.

The main issues I'm getting are a lot of coughing, and some pains here and there. Particularly in the back at the moment. I haven't really tried for much exercise, but I really noticed I was out of breath coming up a set of stairs the other day.

Though I associated that with overdoing it the day before (2 x bodyboard session, playing with the young cousins on the beach, 2 x skatepark sessions, numerous games of table tennis). I actually wonder where it would have got me. I imagine that big day opened me up to illnesses, but I wonder if I got it from the school - I went to the footy and a concert the previous week but that seems to long to build up. Potentially at the shops or skatepark or even in the surf, but who knows.

https://sportslashlife.com/dominik-simk ... pionships/

I just did an article about Dominik Simku fundraising for Worlds. That would be good if he went. I know Christopher Schillem is already booked in, not sure if there'll be any big US names, hard to predict really.

Doesn't really work out for me, though since I'm at home in bed, I did start looking at flights today. I was thinking I found a decent deal at just under $2000, but that's only a one way ticket! Since we've got the trip to Chile in September, I don't think it's going to work out for any other trips this year. Maybe just some short within Aus ones to see a band or go to the footy.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 May 2023 19:04

Tjuggles wrote:
23 May 2023 17:08

I agree about the vlogging. It never caught on with me. I enjoy seeing scenes from Australia. I'd like to go there one day. Maybe I can find a conference there and spend like a week or so there...
Do this. Would be fun to lineup a kick around something like that.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 24 May 2023 22:27

https://www.instagram.com/p/Csp-UmqAWgZ/

I played a short while today. Like 15 mins. I feel my health is improving, though in reaching to the cupboard to get my Quantums out, I hit my head on the wall...

I have barely played in the Quantums at all. I feel it's always a risk to damage them and I've been playing in some just regular shoes that have been going just fine. But once I get back to good health, I might start playing with them regularly at the gym on the smooth surface.

I've been going through some of the video clips that I got with Khoa, I'll make a little video put together of them. He heads back to Vietnam on the weekend, I was hoping to go to Sydney and meet him, but don't want to give him Covid just before he goes.

Anyway, it's quite cold outside. I wanted to hit ripped warrior with jumper and pants on. Didn't quite get it, but I did hit stepping ducking clipper.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 25 May 2023 16:10

boyle wrote:
23 May 2023 19:04
Tjuggles wrote:
23 May 2023 17:08

Do this. Would be fun to lineup a kick around something like that.
I had a quick look at couldn't find any linguistics/language conferences in Australia for the next year...
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 May 2023 16:23

That's not too surprising. Australia has been taking a lot of funding out of language and linguistics programs over recent years. It was supposedly going to be the "Asian Century" or something like that but those plans went by the wayside somewhere along the way.

Here's me doing my bit for cultural collaboration.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 26 May 2023 02:08

boyle wrote:
25 May 2023 16:23
That's not too surprising. Australia has been taking a lot of funding out of language and linguistics programs over recent years. It was supposedly going to be the "Asian Century" or something like that but those plans went by the wayside somewhere along the way.
That sounds like NZ too. Victoria University of Wellington's language and linguistics programs have been shrinking due to lack of funding. Things are going wayside there too; they are in fact forecasting a 30 mil NZD deficit at the uni and are going to be cutting upwards of 250 jobs, almost 10% of staff. They are running the uni like a business, and as a result will likely be focusing on those areas raking in the most money, i.e., science and technology (and maybe law too). It's sad.

I love how enthusiastic Khoa is, especially with that random guy. Reminds me of the 90s and early 2000s when everyone was so loud and excited for tricks.
TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 26 May 2023 17:39

You could make a motivational video of him just saying "you got this man, you can do it".

Speaking of random guy, this dude came the last time that we played and I was just like oh yeah he'll join for a while, but he just never ever left. It was a bit disappointing.

This second video is more just random clips from the times, the first video is probably better but there's some fun moments from that one.

I think that "businessman" model for the uni systems is pretty much a worldwide thing now, which is a bit sad to see.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 01 Jun 2023 23:58

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cs5g_LKgaT7/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cs279Ksgjd5/

https://twitter.com/capitaleyes/status/ ... 4167590912

I've had a few decent sessions lately. In that top video I started a decent Shred 30 run, though lost things towards the end.

A few little combos I've been working on.

fairy diving butterfly>BS Blur
vortex> blender
pdx whirl>blender>torque

tapdown>ducking pdx mirage (bs)
gyro mirage>pixie clipper rpt
gyro mirage>pixie ducking clipper>gyro mirage
tripwalk>ducking legover (bs)
phoenix>ripped warrior

I got a couple of 4-5 fearless combos, mainly some variation of darkwalk>spinning ducking butterfly>spinning ducking osis>motion>paradox blender

I just took some students from my school to the zone cross country running today. I've suggested recently to do a schools competition for freestyle football and footbag. I think that could be a bit of fun. We'll see if we can get it off the ground.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 02 Jun 2023 14:48

Just made a little edit of the session that I had in the squash court the other day. It was the first time in a long while I've had a decent length of session (1 hour +)

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 05 Jun 2023 15:56

Your shred is looking really good. Is that one of the benefits of COVID? :)

A 1-hour session is indeed a proper session. I remember talking with Honza years ago and he said when he kicks solo he goes hard for like 40 minutes, then stops.
TJ Boutorwick