Skippy's Footblog (Skippy stars in: FINALLY, SOME PROGRESS)

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Skippy's Footblog (Skippy stars in: FINALLY, SOME PROGRESS)

Post by Skippy! » 12 Aug 2005 10:04

Well, this is my first entry, but won't be the last if I remember to keep this up to date. I guess to start, I should give a brief synopsis of my experience with footbagging or hacky sack up until now, and a description of myself as a person. I guess I'll start with me. My name is Dan Cyr, and I'm 19 years old. I'm from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. Most of the stuff I do revolves around music, or technology. I've been in several bands, as well as having a solo electronic project, and I'm taking Television Broadcasting at Mohawk College in Hamilton. Anyway, I got into the kick circle in grade 9. All my friends were into hackysack, and it seemed like a lot of fun. Over the next 5 years I'd casually play hackysack and would become the prominent kicker at my school (I was known by nicknames such as 'Lightningman' and 'Fast Dan'). Anyway, I spent a lot of time in a lot of different kick circles and learned a bunch of different simple kick moves. Then, this year (2005), I started talking to Tom Mosher, and he basically said "Hey dude, check out this video I made." Ever since then I've been hooked. I'm still at the basic level of toe stalls and 'jesters', but I'm slowly making my way up. Lately I've been drilling around the worlds (can currently only do right foot in to out) and inside delays. I'm just starting off, but I think you will be hearing a lot more from me in the near future!

Peace!
Last edited by Skippy! on 06 Jun 2007 06:56, edited 5 times in total.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip Hard 2: Skip Harder
Skip Hard With A Vengeance
Coming soon. Yippee-kieaye-eh?
Skip-blog

Just call me hagesy
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Just call me hagesy » 12 Aug 2005 14:47

Welcome Skippy if i may call you that.

Keep shredding and you will improve so quickly it will blow your mind.

What genre of music does your band play

peace.
Anthony Hagen

Buy O'wheel Bags, he is the man, trust me.

"It is none of my business what other people think.

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 13 Aug 2005 08:49

My band's into kinda dancey rocky sorta stuff. Along the lines of New Order, etc. We listen to a lot of Pet Shop Boys too and all sortsa stuff. We have a myspace account with a song up. http://www.myspace.com/anotherseason
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 13 Aug 2005 09:03

Wicked that you started a blog Dan!

You've got so much potential, keep at it man!

See you at KICKASS! 8)
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 14 Aug 2005 13:09

Yeah as I start learning more stuff I'm sure I'll have more posts....however right now I'm trying to master inside stalls. So much work to do!
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Just call me hagesy
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Just call me hagesy » 14 Aug 2005 16:56

Cool.

I love joy division, new order are pretty good but.

Have you seen the movie "24 Hour Party people"

It is all about that sorta music, excellent movie.

Joy division, New Order, Happy Mondays, lots of drugs sex and rock and roll.

Check it out.

Keep shredding hard man.

Peace.
Anthony Hagen

Buy O'wheel Bags, he is the man, trust me.

"It is none of my business what other people think.

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 15 Aug 2005 18:52

Today I landed a mirage. It's not the hardest trick to nail, I guess, but it's a huge step away from where I was less than a month ago. Also, it's my first 2-add trick (other than Around The World) so I kinda feel that it's really like my initiation into the world of freestyle footbagging.

That and I figured I'd write this down, cause it's kinda funny, kinda shitty. I was at a party on Saturday night, just hanging out, having good times, when outta nowhere this kid starts hurling. I didn't see it, I just heard it, so I was like, "Ahh, that sucks." But then I heard someone say, "Did it get on my shoes??" And then it hit me...I had totally worn my lavers to the party, and put them in the hall with everyone elses shoes. Racked with fear and foreboding, I slowly made my way to the hall, annnnnnd:

There were my lavers....in the center of a puddle of chunder.... nobody elses shoes were touched by the horrid onslaught of beer and grass (!?) except for my poor lavers. Needless to say, I was an unhappy guy. Not only because I had to spend the rest of the night in my socks, but also because they're my lavers! Anyway, I ended up just tossing them straight into the wash and cleaning em up. They don't smell, fortunately, and they didn't get stained or anything, so they're back in use, but for a few minutes there, I was livid. The kid apologized and all, so I let it go. I just couldn't understand why he couldn't make it to the bathroom and so decided to puke on the SHOES, not just like, the center of the floor or a corner somewhere or something.

Grrr.

EDIT: PS> I totally got stung by a bee for the first time today. SUCH a bad buzz!
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 20 Aug 2005 06:32

This is me:

I think that explains my dilemma. I basically was carrying a TV at my work (my job is fixing tvs) and I bailed trying to go over a step into a room (a really BIG step). Anyway, I smoked my knees and they were bloody all over the place. The hardcore bandaging is just because my job happens to be as the TV repairman at the hospital, so I basically just hopped over to the emergency room and they took care of it really quick.

But honestly, no footbag for a few days. I'm soo unhappy about it.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 24 Aug 2005 10:14

I think I hit pixie. It totally came out of nowhere. I was trying to string together a bunch of mirages in a row, and busted a pixie out of nowhere...I think...I'm proud. I can now get a half decent string going without relying on toestalls to beef it out. I still haven't gotten my left insides or clippers at all. Phew! I'm working on it!
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 24 Aug 2005 16:04

Oh yeah! I almost forgot about this. I had my first..."out of the blue" shred yesterday. My band was playing a show in Toronto, and we got there extra early to set up. Even after setting up, we had a good hour and a half to kill. So, I figured, why not give a little shred out front on the street. I was just throwing toestalls and assorted other baseline tricks when some guy with biiiiiiig baggy pants and basketball shoes comes up to me and is like, "Hey man, mind if I join?" I was a little skeptical at first, seeing how he had...really baggy pants and basketball shoes. However, not being one to pass up a friendly game, I said "Sure". I pass the bag over and he kicks it a bit. He wasn't too bad, he had pretty good control. He passed it over, and I threw down some delays and passed it back. Out of nowhere he started busting clippers everywhere with all sorts of other tricks mingled in. I was shocked. It was funny because afterwards I had said, "I haven't gotten into clippers yet, I'm impressed." He responded with, "What's a clipper? You mean lazy jesters?" He was actually pretty impressed by my mirages and legovers. Anyway, his bus came and he left, but I felt really good about having an unplanned, out of the blue shred session with some guy I've never seen ever before.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

SandWraith
Egyptian Footgod

Post by SandWraith » 24 Aug 2005 19:10

That's cool to hear about your session with Mr. Baggy Pants and Basketball Shoes. I hope your knees get better. :(
Zach Marine - Member of the Tendonitis Club!
blog

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 25 Aug 2005 08:31

Yeah, my knees are well on the way to healing up. As soon as they weren't fresh anymore I started shredding again and actually made my first video. As soon as I can figure out a way to post it that doesn't involve geocities, I shall do so.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Bander87
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Bander87 » 25 Aug 2005 09:37

Yeeeaaahhh Skippy!

Can't wait for the video. I like watching newbie videos (because I can relate). It was pretty cool with the out of the blue shred. That would be funny if he hit like a double dex and was like "whats a dex?"

Glad you knees are getting better. How big is the video? I might have some ideas (even with geocities). PM me for more info if you want.

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

AUKYSGFKAGSKFUA*&SF^(*A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Post by Skippy! » 25 Aug 2005 14:03

WHOAH. Okay, so today, I was at work, just schooling some tricks, and out of nowhere I busted a clipper. I had toyed around with them before, but never actually nailed a solid clipper yet. And just today I was nailing them primo in my work library. I'm SOOOOO psyched. I can see doors opening in my style. I'm getting more and more psyched about Kickass to really shred awesome with some awesome shredders and shreditas. ERGHAFKJHSEFOAW*F)(*WA&) CLIPPER. STOKED

EDIT: I LOVE FOOTBAG
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 25 Aug 2005 17:21

go Dan!

you are seriously doing FUCKING AMAZING! your first hack video shocked me to be honest!

I figured you were going to be hardcore, but like... way to fucking go!

keep at it man.

Maybe it's because your shoes hung out in my room with me for a few months marinating in my over the top footbag obsession has something to do with the way it''s gripping you so tightly.

FUCKING FOOTBAG!!!!!!!!!!!

PS thanks SOOOOO much for helping me so much with KICKASS stuff.
Tom Mosher

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 26 Aug 2005 11:49

I decided today just for fun I'd stitch together a 4 panel t-shirt material + dental floss footbag. I'm not sure what to fill it with yet, but I've got some potential filler material lined up. Anyway, I'll post pictures when I have a somewhat finished product.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 26 Aug 2005 13:13

Here's my first bag!!! Well on it's way to becoming a tool in my footbag education!!!

EDIT: I'm kinda stuck now. I'm trying to figure out where to stitch it next, but I can't quite understand yet. Feel free to PM me anyone.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 26 Aug 2005 13:41

4 more panels.
Tom Mosher

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 26 Aug 2005 15:39

My first four-panel. White t-shirt. I botched it in the end. It went pretty smoothly up till that point, but then I couldn't really quite figure out the blind stitch, or how to finish the bag off without having a stupid hole at the top. Anyway, the mostly finished product:

dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Camilleon
Fearless

Post by Camilleon » 26 Aug 2005 16:09

Hey Dan!

I just sent you a PM, but I thought I'd post it here. You should DEFINITELY come out to the Toronto Buskerfest this weekend! We are throwing Ontario's annual jam, "Summer's End Shred", there on Sunday. F.A.T. will be there, as well as a bunch of other Ontario shredders, hopefully. I was going to post about it on Modified but I never had the time and it's a really small event anyway. I sent an email out to everyone in the area though. I hope you can make it!

And props on the progress! We should shred together a few times before you head out to Mohawk! :)
Camille Surovy
The Footbag Association of Toronto (F.A.T.)