Toolman

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Toolman

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 23 Oct 2012 06:37

yeeeeo guy lemme get a cigarette.

edit: best top post ever.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 01 Nov 2012 11:18

Mike, you're getting really good again. I'm super stoked to see that you're back into action. Been really stoned for your visit at psu this weekend! I'm playing bag again as of today actually, so I'll be ready to kick some bags this weekend. Props on all the new highlights. Cya in a few days boss.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 01 Nov 2012 12:25

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote: Been really stoned for your visit at psu this weekend!
It's kinda weird ending that sentence with an exclamation point. Here, let me take a crack at a rewrite:
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote: Dude! Duuuuuude. I've...I've been really...really stoned for your visit... at psu this weekend? Yeah... really stoned. Peace and hackysacks... 8) <---sunglasses to hide red eyes

Max Power
Fearless

Post by Max Power » 01 Nov 2012 15:13

Ken is gay

Jk I'm not trying to offend anyone.
Drew Martin

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 01 Nov 2012 21:20

Ken is a really nice guy

Nice interpretation of my typo :P I was on my phone in class when I posted that

But regardless, I'm very stoned for your visit, Mike.
Nick Polini

Funblog

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 10 Nov 2012 09:05

A lot goes on when I'm not here.

Still playing at least once a week, usually twice or thrice. It's almost therapy for me at this point. Nothing major has been hit lately, I've just been having fun with the things I've learned so far. I should probably work on spinning some more. Still no new lavers, financial hardships and whatnot. So it goes.

I had a blast at Penn State with my good friends. Got there kind of late Saturday night and pretty much the minute I got out of my car we got back in and drove to a session. Who could ask for more?

They're blowing up over there, in The-Middle-of-Nowhere, Pennsylvania. I think there were about 8 people at one point. Nate "Style for Miles" Pipenberg was killing it per usual. Nick "Back in Action" Polini was surprising the crap out of me with some the stuff he's hitting now; cloud kick combos, crazy gyro tricks, interesting reiterations of combos and tricks you've seen from the likes of the Outsider and other such unusual players, and some really cool swirling tricks. Ivan "Russian American" Iakimenko is chugging along and will no doubt be guiltless in the near future. And all of the other players seem to be working hard and will definitely represent the East Coast well. Nadiah hit her first mirage and needs to play more often.

After that, we got drunk. Played charades "who's line" style, received noise complaints, made more noise, talked shit on Doug Tank, played guitar, made up lyrics on the fly to songs we used to know, and fell asleep late, or early. I didn't sleep very well on the couch, but it was my own fault, and the next morning I woke up still tired. Had some really shitty coffee (Thanks, Nate!) and enjoyed it for what it was, ate some cheesey eggs(Thanks, Nadiah!), toast, and long expired turkey bacon, and sat around listening to Chuggo. We went on a hike a bit later which was cool. I would like to apologize for seeming unenthusiastic, I was very tired and not right in my mind at that point, and we will do it again next time and it will be way better.

When we got back from the hike I hung out with Nick for a few hours while Nate was out eating with his Dad and we talked about a bunch of shit. He made me a bag for visiting. So did everyone else, you guys are the shit. Nate came back and we watched funny videos for a long time after we decided shred wasn't in the cards. Then I decided it was time to leave, because I really needed to sleep in my own bed. Then I said goodbye to everyone.

Many thanks to my good friends at PSU, your incredible hospitality, good conversation, sloppy revelry, uber shred, and expired bacon will never be forgotten. I will return soon.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 21 May 2013 19:47

Been playing...a lot.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 22 May 2013 02:39

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :footbag: :footbag: :footbag: 8) 8) 8)

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 22 May 2013 19:55

I can back that up. Mike hit Double Switch b2b today.
Nick Polini

Funblog

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 23 May 2013 13:38

I didn't know who else to talk to about this, so I came here. I had a life changing bowel movement not more than ten minutes ago. It was like an epiphany. Super smooth, real quick, clean, quiet. This poop was the final realization of two weeks of hard work and I'm pretty sure i lost at least four pounds and clogged the toilet. I'll worry about that later.

In other news, I really want to be good at spinning. I'm practicing really hard, guys. Barflies too, they aren't easy.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

dolercoaster
Shredaholic

Post by dolercoaster » 23 May 2013 13:49

Dude that poop was "the".

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 23 May 2013 14:03

The only "the" poop I ever took was at your apartment, and I guarantee you have not found it yet.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

dolercoaster
Shredaholic

Post by dolercoaster » 23 May 2013 14:15

how does one find a "the" poop?

A question for the philosophers....

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 24 May 2013 06:18

dolercoaster wrote:"the"

dolercoaster
Shredaholic

Post by dolercoaster » 24 May 2013 08:46

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 27 May 2013 16:44

Blogs are for people with things to say. I don't have anything to say.

I've been working on spinning an awful lot, I really really want it. Also, double downs, which reminds me. double orbits are the worst trick. No joke. And seriously, flip pixie, what the fuck? I don't talk to you for a couple months and you disappear? Well now I'm gonna bug the shit out of you everyday. We should hook up.

What are everybody's thoughts on training for worlds?
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 28 May 2013 09:12

Your training should be directly related to your goals. So step 1 would be decide what your goals are, and then work out training to try and meet them. For example, if your goal is to shred a lot in circles, I'd focus on stamina. If your goal is to do well in circle comp, I'd set up a training regimen where I'd track variety and string length in 6 consecutive turns. If your goal is a dropless routine, then I'd work on routine elements and set up a training schedule where you track your progress with drops.

Make sense?

DTank126
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by DTank126 » 28 May 2013 21:14

mtoolan wrote: What are everybody's thoughts on training for worlds?
1. Buy a six pack every night
2. Consume 6 pack
3. Get to worlds and challenge each other to every 3 dex we know the first night and have no energy for rest of worlds.
4. See steps 1 and 2.
Doug Tank

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 04 Jun 2013 11:57

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll keep them in mind. Especially Doug's.

Training continues. Things have been going well, today especially. I played for probably two and a half hours. It was a beautiful day. Finally making some progress on spinning and stepping. Drilled pixie and ducking the last few days and those have both been progressing well. Working out some kinks in my foundation has really allowed things to come together well. Some of the drills I hit today really surprised me considering last week they were all kinds for frustrating. Once I feel ready I think I'll move on to drilling atomic. It would be nice to have a solid toe game.

i'm going to need a regular shred session soon. This drilling constantly isn't as bad as I thought it would be, as it turns out, I kind of like it, but one thing it really does is make my periodic shred sessions way more fun. I'll drill for a week and then play with Nick or Corey and just shred. That's when I really see all of the improvement.

Getting more excited for World's everyday.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 09 Jun 2013 09:16

I bought a shred rug yesterday to help reduce impact when I play on my back porch. 6x8 made of synthetic fibers, it's nice and cushiony, and only around $17. The problem is I can't keep it from bunching up and sliding around since my porch is super smooth concrete. My mom said she read somewhere that you can apply diagonal lines of caulk to the underside and let it dry, then it should grip better. I figure that's worth a shot, unless somebody has any better/proven ideas.

Making progress with spinning and gyro. Pixie also. I want smoke and smog to be relatively easy to hit both sides midstring by worlds. Ducking felt easy today. Mixing a lot of spinning, ducking, and osis together to add some smooth transitions to my strings. I also realized today that I've been completely neglecting swirl so I worked on a bunch of drills that schooled swirl into a bunch of paradox and ducking tricks.

Future sessions should include more swirl work, some eggbeater work, and heavy emphasis on string length and stamina. The majority of my drilling sessions consist solely of drilling so I'm a little worried that i won't be able to string well. I think I'm wrong on that for the most part but stamina will still be a problem.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club