Toolman

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 09 Aug 2010 19:34

After my Calc final this Thursday, we'll definitely kick. Been really busy lately with just that, Calc.. Fucking awful class. Anyway, I'll hit you up when I'm at my apartment next and we'll gather up some kickers and shred it up. Definitely trying to kick with you again, you inspired me to start using more cloud kicks, and I was able to combine them with some cool stuff. Later dude, I'll be in touch.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Re: Toolman

Post by mtoolan » 14 Sep 2012 16:52

Shit man, it's been a long time. Well i quit smoking and i'm trying to be healthier. I've had two footbag sessions since this new development and since i'm not smoking my stamina definitely shot up considerably. Where i normally could play for maybe a half hour by myself before, it magically turned into an hour during the first session, and an hour and fifteen during the second. So yeah, thumbs up.

>13 b2b ripwalks
>multiple 25+ guiltless strings
>10 b2b pdx whirls
>toe drifter>whirl>dlo rpt >some tricks>ripwalk>sidewalk rpt> some bops

mainly working on being consistent at this point. i can hit lots of tricks, just not all the time and not in such a way where they meld well into other tricks. i'll get there modified, i swear it.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

dolercoaster
Shredaholic

Post by dolercoaster » 14 Sep 2012 17:42

Excellent news all around!

Sounds like someone found some motivation! BooYA!!!!!!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 14 Sep 2012 21:15

I'm happy to see this revived :)
I look forward to following your progress, Mike

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 16 Sep 2012 17:10

Come to Penn State and kick with us. I'll give you a 32 and buy you a six pack.

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 16 Sep 2012 18:44

Can I get in on that, Nate? That sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Hell, I'll even pick ToolMan up on my way there...

Seriously, I'm thinking of getting just a little extra time in on a trip to the 8th Annual Invitational PA State Net Championships at Brenda and Joe's...
http://www.footbag.org/events/show/1347468253
Maybe swinging past State College on the way there or the way back...

Mike, wanna come hang-out with Hacky Sack Jack and the other old-timers next month, and get in a shred with Nathan and Nick Polini along the way?

Nathan, will you and Nick be kicking it in State College on Friday or Monday, Oct. 12 or 15?
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 18 Sep 2012 09:48

YES! So glad to see you resurrected your blog, Mike. And hell yes, you and Jon should definitely come crash at the shredhaus and chill and do some kicking soon. Jon, those dates sound pretty good to me. We'll be in touch about it as the date gets closer, I'm sure. Enough crash space for a good handful of people, certainly there is!

Props on the highlights dude. Your bag is almost half-way finished.. Everytime I try to stitch, I pass out half way through then Nate comes home late that night and tries to wake me up and I grumble for a minute and then tell him to turn the music down when there is no music playing, then I don't recall it in the morning... Just ask Ivan and Nate when you come up here :P

See you guys soon!
Nick Polini

Funblog

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 21 Sep 2012 10:02

dooo it :twisted:
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 02 Oct 2012 10:10

Good Lord, this past tournament season was the phucking greatest and now that it's over I'm a mixture of super depressed and giddily motivated. I truly am thankful for all of the people I know through footbag and it kills me every time a tournament ends. You guys are seriously the shit.

General footbag thoughts and feelings after the greatest footbag summer ever:

-I want to live in State College, PA, because those guys are the coolest.
-I want to live in NYC, because those guys are the coolest.
-I want to live in Boston, because those guys are the coolest.
-Where the hell was the DC crew all summer?
-I wish Jon Schneider was my next door neighbor, because he's the coolest.
-Corey Hahahahahahalis probably saved me from quitting footbag.
-I want to play right now.
-The biggest thank you to anyone who did anything at all to organize or help make a jam happen, seriously, you guys are my heroes.
-Drew Krause needs to come back and start playing footbag again.
-I'm going to get better, I promise.
-I'm going to design a flyer and post it all around the 5 or so colleges in my area in efforts to get a crew going. I'm sick of playing by myself all the time.
-If you ever have to drive more than a couple hours to a tournament, it behooves you to bring Nick Polini along for the ride.
-Freestyle Dickcheese
-Splurged on two new bags this past weekend, a Haniabag and a Pipenbag. So pumped to break them in. I haven't bought a new bag in probably a year.
-Sometimes less organization begets more fun.
-Somtimes not.
-Pete Bowler is good at footbag even when he's fucked up. He is also the man.
-I need to make more money so I can visit different footbaggers every weekend.
-Doug Tank and John Goode need to keep playing footbag because they help motivate me.
-If you ever have a chance to buy a Nate Pipenberg bag, do it. He's the only stitcher I've gotten more than two bags from since I started playing and I would play with them exclusively if I was forced to choose one stitcher.
-Any footbagger that's looking to move somewhere should move to eastern Pennsylvania. More specifically Bethlehem area.
-I need to visit Canada and the west coast as soon as possible.
-Can't wait for the next jam. Have I said that yet?
-I miss playing twice a day in Dave's garage.
-There's more but I should really be studying.

Peace
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 02 Oct 2012 10:12

Oh and Dave Beyers should be honorary footbag world champion and Bruce Dole should be given a trophy (made by someone other than himself) for all of the judging he has to do every time and another trophy for making all the trophies, every time.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 03 Oct 2012 05:21

Nice post! Made me hyped on footbag!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 07 Oct 2012 09:59

Well, hott dongs! That sure was a nice thing to say about me, Mike! I can't wait to play again either. I have a little less than a month. My legs feel way better already. I can't wait to break them in, and you're probably going to be the very first person outside of PSU that I kick with, as long as you're still coming to PSU a week after Halloween. Looking forward to it man.

Also, I have your furry lamb-flesh hoodie on my door still.

Alsoalso, I'm really stoked that you're stoked on footbag again. I can't wait to see where you take it!
Nick Polini

Funblog

DTank126
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by DTank126 » 08 Oct 2012 13:32

When the hell have I ever motivated you? I've been doing my damnedest to DEmotivate you my entire footbag career. Guess I'll just have to bring TWO waterguns next time in order to get my point across. :P

But seriously, good to see you gettin back into it.
Doug Tank

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 11 Oct 2012 12:04

Had two really good sessions these last two days. Yesterday's lasted about an hour, and I felt good all around. Didn't need to warm up for too long and everything just felt smooth. I was hitting all of the drills I was working on and everything flowed well.

Today was about two and a half hours, it started slow because I was a little sore from yesterday, but it was super nice out so I took my time. I ended up hitting some pretty good shit.

Highlights:
-New tricks: Whirlwind (finally!)(new 6), ripstein (finally!!!), alpha blurry whirl both sides (new 6?), flip spinning whirl, flip whirlygig, miraging symp mirage(merlin?)
-pixie muted clipper>pogo blizzard bs, working hard on the repeat
-dlo>ss dlo rpt x 2
-i was killing my ducks today
-fixed my strong spinning clipper
-my variety and trick selection midstring is improving

I work the next few days so that will give me time to recuperate. Anyway, today's my 23rd birthday and it feels good to have the day off. I'm going to take a nice long shower, play a game of disc golf, drink some bourbon, and smoke a little smoke.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 12 Oct 2012 00:52

Really nice highlights! You should release a vid soon!

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 12 Oct 2012 10:51

8O i forgot youre actually good at hacky sack when you play 8O

good shite man keep it up
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 12 Oct 2012 11:05

Happy berfday!
mtoolan wrote: -New tricks: Whirlwind (finally!)(new 6), ripstein (finally!!!), alpha blurry whirl both sides (new 6?), flip spinning whirl, flip whirlygig, miraging symp mirage(merlin?)
Saw the whirlwind...really nice. As for alpha blurry whirl, I don't think pogo generally gets an add, but it's stylish no doubt. And yes, the last trick is called merlin.

mtoolan wrote: -i was killing my ducks today

Anton
Shredalicious

Post by Anton » 13 Oct 2012 12:56

Hey bud, sounds like you've been going hard since eastcoast and now visiting psu soon? you're off the chain! throwing down 2 and a half hour sessions isn't easy! Wish I could join you fellas after Halloween but Im doing my last semester as an undergrad and kinda locked down until december :/ happy belated, keep it reeeeeeewr \m/

we gotta play some disc too mate I had the best throw of my life last time zach came to visit. a 320ft hook down a narrow fairway shaped like a question mark
Just gettin it
-A
\m/ichigan shreds

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 18 Oct 2012 18:14

Thanks for all of the kind words, guys!

Two sessions in two days again, and the weather was beautiful. I'm nervous for when it gets too cold because I don't have a very solid indoor spot. Gotta work on that. Today I hit pdx whirling swirl both sides (new five), inspired by Hogan hitting ps whirling swirl (that's some hot shit). I also worked on barflies, which I've never been particularly good at, but they are definitely improving. I bsos-ed it a few times. Worked on bringing atomic back, worked on some double down swirl tricks (hopefully barfly swirl soon), and worked on hitting blurry whirl>stepping whirl rpt again. That might take a little time. Had many good looks at superfly, which I've never been able to hit, but I didn't want to injure myself with too much symposium repetition.

Now that I've started to get my old tricks back, and some new ones, I want to devise some drills to work towards. Preferably some 5>5 rpt drills or some harder 4's so I can boost my consistency. I've also just been working on setting some decent records with tricks like ripwalk, pdx whirl, ducking butterfly, pixie same illusion, ss dlo, and so on to boost stamina. Repetition seems to be the key at the moment.

My lavers have been dead since the NYFA jam earlier this summer, but I spent all of my free cash going to the various jams held by all of the awesome people. Now I finally have some cash and I was excited to get a pair of these new lavers they've come out with that aren't blindingly white. I really wanted the grey/red ones or the black/gum pair but it turns out the only pairs they have in my size are the white with the green sole. But beggars can't be choosers, and if the quarter sized hole in the sole of my right laver doesn't make me a beggar, I'm not sure what would. I'll have to pick up some paint pens before the shoes show up on my door step.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 19 Oct 2012 03:04

C-Fan wrote:As for alpha blurry whirl, I don't think pogo generally gets an add, but it's stylish no doubt.
Why not? The duck picture was funnaaay.
mtoolan wrote: Today I hit pdx whirling swirl both sides (new five), inspired by Hogan hitting ps whirling swirl (that's some hot shit). I also worked on barflies, which I've never been particularly good at, but they are definitely improving. I bsos-ed it a few times. Worked on bringing atomic back, worked on some double down swirl tricks (hopefully barfly swirl soon), and worked on hitting blurry whirl>stepping whirl rpt again.
YES! Good stuff!

And you can steal whatever you want from my footblog and put on facebook :)