mc

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Darkshredder
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Darkshredder » 09 Aug 2007 13:09

dang, matt! Ripstein > superfly !? 8O That's a pretty smooth link. Think you could repeat that? Have fun at worlds! :footbag:
Pat Thomsen
Syracuse, New York - The connecting point to footbaggers in the NE and Canada. We make pancakes and air conditioners.

Will Digges
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Will Digges » 10 Aug 2007 06:42

YEAHHH FOOTBAGGGG

YEAHHH WORLDSS!!

STOKED!!!

Incoming in 1 day Matt cross, better bring out the paper towels I'ma spray beverages everywhere!
Will Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 10 Aug 2007 07:06

i have been waiting for this day for so long.

soon, everyone will know the will digges dance.

I'm sitting at sam's house watching an unreleased Chad D dvd, which is really good, and makes me wonder why he didn't release it. ashley and sam are gone. I think ashley has gone to the store to pick up some nectarines to replace the ones that her cats chewed on last night. I'm going to be reparing a bag for sam soon, for which he'll pay me 1,000,000 dollars. he has a million dollar bill right here for me. printed on real computer paper!

I was about to write about yesterday's session, which was super fun, but I already did.

psyched for worlds. today, ashley is going to pick up aaron orton and tina aeberli and mike hansen, all of whom are staying here tonight!!! fuck ya!!! I can't wait to meet aaron, and see mike and tina again, and play with them! gawsh it's gonna be fun... gawsh!!!
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 10 Aug 2007 12:27

just had a freestyle then two-square then freestyle session with ashley. now she's left to go pick up tina and aaron, after which she'll return, hang out for a while, then go pick up mike hansen. it's not an hour to orlando, more like 40 minutes. no big.

session was fun. hit a few okay things. worked on form with torque.

hit blurry whirl > blurry torque bs first try, blurry whirl > mobius both sides. vortexes came easy. I'm feeling good. I had beer and weed for breakfast, then hung out for a while, then went out and had a proper breakfast, then came back and finished stitching (but not filling) a bag (94 or 95, i forget), then we had a session, then ashley left and I soloed for a bit, then I took a swim and stretched, and now I'm having another beer. what a good day.

posting pictures later. I'm going to post pictures as much as possible.
BRICK!

nyfa

Will Digges
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Will Digges » 10 Aug 2007 13:23

Sounds completely blissful 8)
Will Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 10 Aug 2007 13:46

I've enjoyed kicking bag #48 (an orange number you sold to Waylon) this summer. I will likely use it in my routine. Just wanted to slide some sporp your way. Looking forward to seeing you soon bro.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 10 Aug 2007 14:58

awesome, ken :) it's great having a big name player say they liked one of my bags. my biggest claim to fame thus far was that daryl genz used a day old bag of mine (early 30s) in his shred 30 at US open 06, and that we used it in the first round of circle comp at that same event.

I hope I get to see some of my older bags at worlds. I like knowing how they turned out. a lot of them have been really pleasing.

I'll also have some for sale. I'll post that picture soon too.
BRICK!

nyfa

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 10 Aug 2007 19:57

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTBAAAAAAAAAAAG!!!!

I hope to see you tomorrow night and have a good beer with you. :)
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Jdigges
Flower Child

Post by Jdigges » 13 Aug 2007 00:42

Hey man! i hope your having a BADASS time at worlds! im sorry i couldn't be there with all you guys. Ill be living in Syracuse in the future so we'll have to get together more often.

Can you look out for willie if he gets too wasted? (which will probably happen). Have a good time man and give my regards to everyone!
Josiah Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew

BenRea
modiphile

Post by BenRea » 13 Aug 2007 07:05

Jdigges wrote: Ill be living in Syracuse in the future

...is that for real?
Ben Rea

Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 25 Aug 2007 05:12

So... what's been going on in the crazy kick ass life of Mr. Matt cross eh? 8)
Alan Underhill

http://www.myspace.com/pyroman924

"The more you drop, the better you get." -Ben Rinowski

The Rhino
Fearless

Post by The Rhino » 02 Nov 2007 10:09

Matt

I want to thank you for being so cool to me at worlds. you knew who I was without ever meeting me, and you gave me props for stuff I was hitting. Since I've never REALLY shredded with anyone before, that was super cool of you. made a good impression upon me. Peace.

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 02 Nov 2007 19:58

Hey Paul,

Matt really made me feel welcome at my first world's (montreal 2004) and since then he's been a really good friend and supporter.

Matt, it was really good seeing you at Cornell, sorry I forgot the clips, maybe it wasn't meant to be?

Let's shred again soon.

Tom
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 03 Nov 2007 09:30

I was on such a roll with posting. I'm the same way with this blog as I am with stitching. I have huge gaps in my activity. I have bag #101 half completed in front of me. This one is for Erik Chan. I have a lot of sales I could make, I wish I stitched more.

Paul, it was good to meet you as well. The spirit of footbag, to me, is to be kind and welcoming. This is because that's how footbag players have been to me since I started playing. I'm glad you came to a big event and had as great a time as I did.

Worlds was totally idyllic. Terra Verde was footbag heaven on earth. Tom Mosher and I rode our skateboards from our house to Jon Nagela's, and on the way, we got picked up by a carload from the freedom house, and we held onto the sides as they drove us to Jon's. Jim Penske, Darryl, Sunny, and a whole bunch of others were in the car, and there was someone holding on to the back seats, lying face down on the trunk of the convertible as we drove.

it wasn't until I let go at jon's that I realized that the face-down person was lon smith.

that was a really cool worlds moment for me.

What else can I say about worlds?

it was hot. Uncomfortably hot. The houses were decent. Good enough AC. it was cool rooming with Peter Irish. He and Tom did some racketbag demos, and peter took right to it. I wasn't that great at it, but it was fun.

My game at worlds had some shining moments, especially before worlds started (see a few posts up), which was unfortunate. I was injured a lot at worlds :/ but I hit barefoot montage on both sides (aaron orton caught at least one of the two on film) and sold all my bags and met a lot of great people, including Jay Boychuck, who was much, much taller than I thought he would be.

After Worlds came Funtastik. It was nice to see Vasek hanging on the east coast scene, too bad about his injuries. I forgot to bring my guitar because I am a dumbass. It was Jeff Hastings' first tournament. I have a sweet picture of him and chris and myself with vasek posted on my facebook.

I don't believe that I played well at funtastik at all. It was my first taste of Laphroaig. Thanks, Jon Schneider. I love the drink now. I had a good time talking to Ian Brill about what's going on in his game. I played some good two-square.

Then came Camp Wakahakee. Hacky Sack Jack came to my place, and we carpooled up for a day of footbag, a night of camping, and another day of footbag. it was only a 2 hour drive up! no problem! I shared a tent with Anne Mosher and played a ton of guitar with chad landry. I hit flip torch-r-rack, stepping diving DLO, and spinning swivel. On Sunday, i drove home and bought 8 litres of whiskey, half of which was for my landlord.

Between Camp and Cornell, I started a band. We have our second gig coming up in a week, and we are about to add a keyboardist that I'm really excited about. I guess more will come on that when I have recordings uploaded. That should be soon. Oh yeah, we're called The Creatures of Habit, and we are available to play for a reasonable fee at any footbag tournament this summer.

So then came cornell. This time, Hacky Sack Jack drove. We made it down in about 3 hours with Dan Greer. Even though we arrived late friday, I was able to score a couch to sleep on, and even defended said couch against the encroaching forces of Tom and Peng the following night to make for two nights at a footbag tournament with something to sleep on! a real accomplishment.

Tom said I would have to beat both him and Peng at rockpaperscissors to keep my bed, and I said, how about if I beat you at RPS, Peng stays with me. Peng laughed, Tom grumbled something, and they both left me alone to sleep in peace. That was one of my favorite Cornell moments.

After Tom and Peng gave up on me, they went to where Ken David was sleeping, and together, they pushed him on to the floor and made him go sleep in the other room.

I hit some fun stuff at cornell. I hit spinning motor and atomic diving whirl. Had a few fun strings. I think I'll watch the Marc Giard video now (I had forgotten about it).

So, now I'm mainly focused on the band, with some light stitching on the side. band practice is later. bag is on the backburner.

hope everyone's having fun out there in hackyland.

edit: oh ya tom!

Worlds 04 was great. I knew you'd be my friend the second I looked at you and I could see what a weirdo you were. I was thinking last night about how we had just met and we were already driving around with your sister on a mission.

I'm glad about the clippers, because I was wearing my hair down at Cornell a lot, and I got more positive reactions from the ladies than I'm used to, so I think I'll just start wearing it down more. not sure about the cut situation yet...
BRICK!

nyfa

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 04 Nov 2007 10:49

cool write-up

im amped to kick with you next weekend, son!

-bowler
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 04 Nov 2007 12:15

Sounds like you had a good couple o' months.
Wakahakee is such a good idea. I wanna go one day. :D
I can't wait to meet you in Prague!

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 04 Nov 2007 15:20

Good luck with the band! Be healthy brother!

"Street?

no... totally gay.."

:)

edit: -sam

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 05 Nov 2007 11:13

Zeb, I only understand the part of your post where you're wishing me well. The rest, including the signature, I do not understand. but I want to! so lay it on me.

Bowler, looking forward to it as well! You've posted some cool shit since we played last, so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Asmus, see you in prague :) or maybe the next camp wakahakee??

I had forgotten the joy of posting in this thing, because I get a great ratio of replies to posts.

Haven't bagged since last weekend. I have stitched bag 101, and 102 is 33.34% done, waiting in my pocket. I will finish that tonight. I should have time after my second test today to mail 101 to Erik Chan, who's been waiting since after worlds because I suck :( But I guess if everyone moves forward with the understanding that Matt Cross sucks, we will all be that much wiser.

The next gig with the band is thursday. We've been practicing and making progress on new stuff every time. Our current goal is to have a few new songs for this next gig, and to have more control over our tempo. at our last gig, all our songs would go through an immediate jump in tempo upon their start. We all felt kinda shitty about it, so we've been working on that. We may or may not have a new keyboard player for the gig. It is looking less and less likely all the time. The good news is, we have 2 gigs a month at my favorite bar in town for all next semester, and hopefully, we'll pick up some more. Music rocks.

My policy of doing nothing academic at all this semester is working out for me. Not with amazing grades, but with passing grades, and plenty of time for doing whatever I want all the time, which, honestly, is my highest priority. Is that a character flaw? I think it is.

Two weeks ago, this incredibly hot girl for whom I've been nursing a nice healthy lust for the past year called me to hang out with her. Turns out she's been stripping. So, I pick her up from the strip club at 2 in the morning after a gig and go to hang at her house. We have a beer and watch TV, and a little of this and that start happening, but nothing came to full fruition. The more naked she got (which took no time or effort), the more distant she became, and we both kind of called "the moment" off at the last possible second. It pissed me off for about a week straight, because the opportunity with this hottie was there, but it just didn't feel right, and I started to hate myself for being the kind of person that would pass up on fucking the shit out of a hot little stripper because she didn't seem that emotionally into it. But what can I say, I've had plenty of meaningless sex over the past 5 years, and it's just that; meaningless.

Anyway, she called me last night at 11:30 to make her dinner ("hey, what are you doing? I'm hungry") and at first I told her I was too wasted and too tired, but after hanging up, I called back 3 minutes later to tell her I was into it.

So, I went over, and cooked. She sat and watched TV while I cleaned up the necessary stuff to make the dinner. Talked a little from the other room while I cooked. I made angel hair pasta with shrimp and broccoli and nice parmesan cheez. nothing special, but tasty... better than McD's for a midnight snack.

I prepped everything and brought it out, and we ate it without much talking. I didn't go near her. She ate lots of it, and kept going back after putting it down, so I know at least she liked the food. We sat and talked about her eating disorder (anorexic, doing well with recovering, but still unhealthily skinny) and about her her her, all sorts of fucked up stuff. I started talking about myself with a few little anecdotes about what she'd said, but she got pretty bored with that pretty quickly, and said she was tired. So I left.

It was a weird experience for me. I feel a lot better about it than the last little visit we had. It's been years since I've let myself be anything remotely close to being used by a girl. It felt good to go into that situation knowing that I wasn't going to get anything out of it, that she probably wasn't going to be polite or congenial at all, that I'd spend my money, feed her, and leave. Normally, I'm the one doing the using, and I feel guilty about it, so there's some kind of karmic resolution that's reached by me putting myself in a situation where I'm going to be used... right?

Who knows? not I said the fly (not me said the flea). All I know is, that when I was in that situation, I think that I'd be expected to be more forward, to expect something in return, to act like I expect something in return, to supplicate myself further to the goal of sexual conquest. So, I guess, to go and let myself be used, but not doing it with any sort of condition or expect for a return on my "investment", I felt like I had put myself above the situation. Maybe that's why I feel better about it.

all I know is that I felt fine when I got home, not raging with lust and self-loathing like last time. Which is cool.

NYC this weekend. If I want to have a single bag for sale, I better start stitching instead of blogging. Peace, mofuckaz.
BRICK!

nyfa

TayChaint
Multidex Master

Post by TayChaint » 05 Nov 2007 11:30

Matt Cross does NOT suck!!!
Taylor Chaintreuil

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 07 Nov 2007 13:57

thanks taylor :) it's nice to hear that from the person with the highest world ranking of anyone to ever be associated with the Rochester Footbag Association. What are you, 3rd in routines in the world? jeezus...

seriously, though, your game looked great at worlds. have I read recently that you've started to hit stuff like PLO > pixie set (something)? that's super cool. I hope your game has grown since worlds (I remember mine did after my first major tournies).

bag 102 (NYFA prize) is almost half done... :/ looks like I might have to finish it at the event, I'm so busy for the next few days! band practice tonight, classes tomorrow til the evening, gig tomorrow evening, leave for NYFA friday morning FUCK!!!!!!!!

busy busy! I guess I'll stitch for a few minutes right now.

I got a sweet pair of black stan smiths with an embossed tongue (covered w/ adidas logo) and velcro straps, and a vintage denver nuggets hat today! psyched!
BRICK!

nyfa