mc

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 04 Apr 2006 12:42

hi matt, great blog, i realy liked that long story, i hope i can write one like this too, in 11 years :)

just wanted too say that... uhm and yeah... when you ever have a bag you made lying around there homeless and stuff. think about me and hit me up, i´d love too make you another nice bag. ;)
come get your mÃcrÖ¶ bag today
buy one of my bags and help finance my guitar lessons :)
mäcrö hartig

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 04 Apr 2006 13:26

just had a tired session for an hour or so, it didn't go so great. I haven't eaten well these past few days, so my energy level is low. anyway, I hit gyro illusion BS and worked on spinning a bit and I used my new footbag, #22. It's still a bit rolly. well, I'm not sure what I mean by "still"; that was it's first time being used. I'm going to try the freezing breakin method on it and see if it feels softer tomorrow... oh, also blurry whirl > symp whirl BS. Other than that, it was a pretty low key session, but that's okay. At least I don't feel hurt or too sore. stretching helps...
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

setman
Banned user

Post by setman » 04 Apr 2006 20:50

props on gyro illusion bs. gyro tricks are really stylish.

repeat blurry whirl > symp whirl ~!~
Kamil Hucal

shreddaily
Flower Child

Post by shreddaily » 05 Apr 2006 17:29

:D :D :D

I'm in matt's life story!

2x 8)

Happy that makes me.

I play much more fingerstyle guitar thanks to you my brother. Your skills greatly humble me and keep me striving to get better. And now you stich like a champ???
Keep rockin' dude!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You had some runs at the boiler maker that I stilll remember. Many contacts> sole stall> stair down a crowd of people!

+ camp Irish... yeah :twisted:

and a soaked guitar

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 06 Apr 2006 11:36

bag 24! :D

I'm going to use a little less gather on my next one. footbag 17 had the cleanest edges yet, I believe, and I've gathered more since, so I think I'll take a step back. This is the first footbag I've made this week because I wanted to give my arm a break. I did it between yesterday and today. I think if I made half a bag a day, it would be just the right amount of work for my arm, and I'd crank out a lot of bags.

I believe I'm going to go play now, I hope Sean will join me.
BRICK!

nyfa

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 06 Apr 2006 14:25

had a sweet session. I played with this girl that I didn't know liked to kick, and she did a good job, and she'd asked me to make her a footbag before, so I gave her #24. She liked it. I had thought she asked for it because she thought it was cute or something, it was cool when I found out she could kick pretty well. Anyway, I played for a good 2 hours or so. I hit spanish fly BS, and I hit a totally new combo, bsos! that being food processor > pswhirl. I also hit fairy beater > whirling swirl > ps whirl. I was proud of that. Also a few flip whirling swirls, that was gratifying. muted spinning clippers were feeling pretty good as well, and I had some solid spinning whirls. No whirlwinds or superdupers today. All in all, a good session, though. Also, I hit mobius. Wee!!!!
BRICK!

nyfa

setman
Banned user

Post by setman » 06 Apr 2006 22:44

your bags are getting better. the #24 looks very good. i think that i'll buy one from you at Worlds.

props on fairy butterfly > whirling swirl > ps whirl, that's cool combo, but i think that fairy beater doesn't exist - it's just fairy butterfly.
Kamil Hucal

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 07 Apr 2006 18:12

Great blog! I love reading background stories on people that I feel are very influential! When I first met you at Funtastiks, I knew things would be great in the future, and the Rochester New Year's Jam pretty much solidified my passion for footbag. Meeting other greats like Peter Irish, Tom Mosher, Jack Keller, etc. is something I'll always remember.

It's great to hear that you're in college and I hope you have a blast taking your music courses. I've recently got to stabbing and will be doing 32s with a passion this weekend (I've built up confidence in my stitchwork). I hope when we meet again, we'll be trading bags back and forth, as well as with other footbag stitchers.

As for shred, just the same. I'll be training myself properly BS on a good foundation of tricks to build my freestyle game, and hope to impress people and myself with my dedication to footbag. :)
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

gdawg8_0
Shredaholic

Post by gdawg8_0 » 08 Apr 2006 11:23

ha sweet, the frozen break in... :wink: (so far so good on my abshire) btw i love your blog, its awesome... :D
Wasabi wrote:I thought they were skins of animals hit by a nuclear holocaust that were made into cute little shred bags.
Griffin O'Hara

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 08 Apr 2006 13:52

ah yes, the frozen break-in, such a strange technique... It did seem to loosen up and wear down the material on my footbag. Maybe on future footbags, it will be a standard process before I sell them. That would be cool to offer a really playable product brand new...

I just received another order, and conveniently, it's for the footbag I'm half done with at present. I've slowed down on stitching. I think i want to find a steady pace, like half a bag a day, and make them like that. it doesn't take long to do half a bag, so I think I can handle that, and I want to have a pile of them for sale at GRASS.

psyched!!!

I just had a cool session with chris dean. The soccks I wore for the first half of the session sucked balls. They were the socks I got on the plane on the way to Euros as I was drinking myself silly in first class... They were SLIPPERY!!! I had no balance, and I was doing bad. I didn't stretch enough after my last session (, he wrote, as he neglected to stretch after today's session)... I hit fudge > phoenix > whirling swirl or something cool like that, and legbeater swirl, I'm not sure if I've hit that before. maybe once or twice. Chris hit mobius BSOS first try... that was sweet. I hit whirlwind at the end of the session, I had a real hard time today... So, it wasn't my best session, but I've eaten a good supper with chris, taken some ibuprofen, and I'll do some stretching now, so hopefully I'll be good for the RFA session tomorrow.

Thanks for all the sweet post, guys! Can't wait to hear some sweet fingerstyle, nasty. i've been working on some good stuff, you'll like it. waylon, can't wait to see your footbags. kamil, I'll work on that combo... It will be sweet to have that much control with my symp whirls.

See y'all at GRASS!!!!!!
BRICK!

nyfa

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 09 Apr 2006 20:14

awesome session today in rochester. I had some fun combos. well, I guess it wasn't awesome, performance-wise, but I had a great time in the awesome weather. Some highlights... a bunch of clean superflies, fairy ss blender> flapper> blender first try, spinning osis > inspinning osis first try midstring, swirling blender the first time in a long time, close to flip whirr, that will come soon... eggplant > far symp swirling spinning inside.

Chris played awesome, he hit all kinds of crazy shuffle combos, fume all the time. Lots of mobius. good good good player. Aric was busting too, he's so strong. I saw a few symple reverse mind benders from him, that was nasty.

I've received 2 custom orders! stitching hacks is fun!

Time to shower and wash all this shred off me to start the week fresh... later legballers
BRICK!

nyfa

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 12 Apr 2006 07:09

gee, I wish I could stitch... but I've lost all my needles. I guess I could go out and get a couple crappy ones to tide me over until my order of glover's needles comes in this week. I've got 2 orders to take, plus bags to make for GRASS, plus bags to make for critique that I'm sending to Felix and Ilja, plus a Jake Raye bag to repair (2 out of 3 of my lost footbags have come back, now only the Felix remains!). It's good to have lots of work to do on stitching, though. hopefully I can sell a bunch of bags at GRASS.

I haven't had much to say about GRASS so far, because I was hoping that I wouldn't be able to make it so I could do something much awesomer, but the awesome thing fell through, so I can make it to GRASS! I'm psyched. Plus, me and Johnny and Jorden are doing a big 3 day presentation in Dundas at the Buskerfest, and we're on the official schedule, AND getting paid. I can't wait to tape it and have more resources for my footbag presentation thread. We're going to do a KICKASS show, I can tell. It's going to be awesome. Plus, I get to stay at the destroyer's house for a few days, and hang out and jam with 2 of my favorite east coast buddies! woo!! big things on the horizon!

Now I just need mad cash for worlds. I'm not really planning on going at this point, unfortunately, because I am broke and in college :( But I'm looking ahead to Portland. I am also looking ahead to 20 minutes from now when I'm going to go outside and stretch and shred! I'm going to use footbag #22, my josiah bag, and maybe my toby bag. My toby footbag isn't breaking in so well. I am now going to take out some of the fill and add heavy bbs and see if it does better today with a little more emptiness and a little more weight.

GRASS!
BRICK!

nyfa

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 12 Apr 2006 12:45

bam!!! reserve pair number 3! the cheapest ones yet. Maybe I'll do an all out modification job on them and then charge an exorbitant price to some desirous young freestyler ;) or I'll probably just keep them. I'm going to name this pair Dave, after Dave Clavens, who always mentions that you won't be able to find any more of them and you'll be sad and pissed whenever the topic of climacools comes up. booyah!

I'm so psyched. This color is sweet!!

My session went pretty well. I played lots, for 2.5 hours or so. I hit MANY solid mobiuses on both sides, and I came SO close to BSOS on lots of tries. I will have it soon. For me, it's all about that set, because torque is pretty easy for me. So, this was good. Another good thing was that I was easily bailing to gyro mirage a lot, so it's helping solidify that move. I also hit gyro whirl both sides, I'm not sure if I've done that before. My hip was bothering me quite a bit today, but it's not feeling so bad now, and I did lots of stretches with it.

I'm happy with the mobiuses. I woke up today, and felt like it was finally time to get that move down, after so long. It's such a staple, and it looks so good. i can't wait to have it midstring. I also got lots of good response from passersby, and had some girls watching from their window who cheered for me after I hit mobius after LOTS of drops. It was really perfect weather for freestyle, except a little windiness. It was a very pleasant day to play.

Needles COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
BRICK!

nyfa

brinard
Flower Child

Post by brinard » 13 Apr 2006 10:11

hey matt, just letting you know i got my climas this morning, theyre the right ones, (originals) and theyre snugly fit on my feet. no need to find more, except for backup pairs.

now i gotta mod em.

whats the easiest tools? i know, needlenose pliers, sharp razor. any thing else? how deep to broka? i saw you told... torn i think... to remove the top layer of mesh. is that only for other clima models?

thanks.

brian

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 13 Apr 2006 10:36

Sweet Climas! I'm just pretty skeptical to find a pair in my size and then have a reserve pair just in case something awful happens. Plus, the mods seem pretty stressful in a way - I don't know. I guess I'll safely rely on Lavers and G-units as I found a store near me that sells G-units for cheap! $30 or below, so I'm a bit stoked when I found out about it.
Matt Cross wrote:I also got lots of good response from passersby, and had some girls watching from their window who cheered for me after I hit mobius after LOTS of drops.
And who said that chicks don't dig footbag? :wink:
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 13 Apr 2006 11:22

Brian, the clima mod tutorial that tom mosher put a shitload of time into in the bags and equipment forum is very well written. I don't think it includes the "top layer of the toe" mod, however. I have done this mod on my climas, and I will do it on the next ones. I like this mod. It makes the toe grippier and thinner. By far, the hardest part of modding these shoes is removing the inside stripes. Make sure to follow tom's instructions to the letter, if you don't do this part right, you can tear that mesh all to hell. If you do end up ruining the inside, you might consider taking the whole inside bit off and replacing it with facile or some other thin, grippy material. Good luck, modding climas is hard, but I did the whole mod job (no brocka for me) on my last pair in under a half hour, and I didn't make one mistake, so it is possible to do it just right. Get the sharpest damn razor and the pointiest damn pliers you can find.

Waylon, I can't wait to get those climas. If you're doing well in Gs, and you can find them cheap, stick with those.

Thanks for writing in here, guys. I was just thinking about how much I like it when I come to my blog to find posts made by other people :)
BRICK!

nyfa

brinard
Flower Child

Post by brinard » 13 Apr 2006 16:34

i did all the mods xcept the top mesh one... and the silicone, cause i dont have any yet... and im about broke...

but i think i did well, leaving only 1 tear in the clear inside mesh on right foot. its about the size of... a pencil eraser.. but i dont think thats bad. no rips on left foot. yeah, the stripes are the hardest for sure. i spent over an hour on each shoe, but thats cause i was careful, and used a new xacto blade for the cutting. theyre nice. real f*ing nice. im gonna try to find a reserve pair, but not for a few months. that tutorial helped alot, but since it didnt show the cutting off of stripes, i dont think it was as good as it could have been.

now to shred!

thanks for the help,

brian

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 13 Apr 2006 18:07

Cool blog Matt :!:

It's a little late, but happy birthday :!: My birthday is April 2nd. That is fairly close to yours. I also turned 24 :D

Props on being good at stitching, by the way. I really want to start. Maybe I will... :arrow:

Hopefully we get to shred sometime, like when you come out to Japan :roll:
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 14 Apr 2006 10:59

Bag #25 :) I finally got needles! I need to make so many bags for GRASS, I hope to have 6 or 7. I need money! anyway, I'm ready to rock now... hell yeah...
BRICK!

nyfa

gdawg8_0
Shredaholic

Post by gdawg8_0 » 14 Apr 2006 13:14

yeah! too bad i can't go to grass...considering the fact that i'm in colorado and will be going to washington DC a coupla days after grass....*look of jealousy* your footbags look awesome! btw whats with the wrapped hand in the background?
Wasabi wrote:I thought they were skins of animals hit by a nuclear holocaust that were made into cute little shred bags.
Griffin O'Hara