mc

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 16 Apr 2006 08:54

Thanks Griffin, the wrap is from playing guitar, it holds my wrist in place so I have better posture.

My friend Mike got his lavers yesterday. He did toe stall> inside stall> outside stall on his strong side, and toe > inside on this weaker side. he also did clipper stalls both sides, I was psyched. A lot of people stopped and played with us, and they liked freestyle, I'm hoping they'll come back in the future. I hit mobius first try yesterday, and 2nd or 3rd try on my flipside. My hip was feeling really tight :( I'm going to play again today, I'm going to take a bunch of ibuprofen right now to loosen me up before shred. It should be a fun session today. I'm super psyched for grass!! see you there!
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 16 Apr 2006 12:17

that was a fun little session, I just had a bunch of people sign up for fred shred, and I hit mobius second try, and midstring, first try right at the end of the session. My hip is really bothering me, though. I believe I'll take the rest of the week off until GRASS and just stitch like a madman. A MADMAN!!!

This kid borrowed my 8.5 green striped lavers and he hit around the world for the first time, and then hit it a bunch more times. My friend Mike hit toe stall and inside stall bsos, and some clippers, that was rad. and I had a hot girl come up to the session and give me kisses, that was cool too. Now I'm drinking a delicious guinness. Time to stitch, then play guitar. I played 2 shows last night, they were awesome. Life is good.
BRICK!

nyfa

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 16 Apr 2006 12:31

yo Matt,

It's great to hear things are going well for you. (minus the hip)

It looks like most likely I will get to go to GRASS, see you there!

I am stoked to see your new bags too!

... I just started up an MSN message window with you.. uhh.. I guess I will just say the things I want to say to you there..

I guess this means I just shouldn't post this post, but it's nice seeing new posts in ones blog so I will still post it as just me saying HI! yaaaaay footbag! :D
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 19 Apr 2006 12:16

hooooooowaboogwallla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOBIUS BSOS!!! finally!!! I hit it 3 times, you should have heard me shouting like crazy. The second time I did it, it was on command after I told a non-footbag-familiar friend that I had just hit a new combo. How gratifying.

What else... Gyro barrage BS, DLO> ss DLO > DLO > ss DLO midstring on a whim. I had a lot of fun playing in the great weather today. My hip wasn't bothering me, but my groin sure was! I'm icing now, I'll take tomorrow off. I've never had groin problems before. Hopefully it won't bother me this weekend, and I can take Ibuprofin and stretch and stuff. I'll be fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

I love the new Phil Morrison video. He's so good!!!

I can't wait to see all my friends in Rochester.
BRICK!

nyfa

brinard
Flower Child

Post by brinard » 19 Apr 2006 15:09

props! nice, mobius bsos. i just started hitting dlo today. i just never worked it. didnt even try, and i nailed it. now im gonna work it into strings, and get it bs.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 24 Apr 2006 07:13

GRASS... It had it's ups and downs. I hit some fun stuff the first day, like whirlwind BSOS... or, maybe BSOS, not sure if they first one was as clean as it could have been. I also hit another superduperfly, aric said it was clean. That's good enough for me. I couldn't really play on saturday or sunday, though. I burned out on the first day. :(

I saw some amazing stuff at the tournament. I saw clavens hit janiwalker > whirlygig > montage, and all sorts of crazy stuff in competition. Dave really owned this tournament. It was great to see, he busted huge and looked really strong. I'm really glad he could make it up. Tom's game was looking more solid, too. My favorite move that I saw at the tournament was a move Johnny thought up, and then hit within three tries. it was really unreal. I tried it a bunch of times, could NOT do it ;) Imagine a pendulum that never releases the footbag, and once your foot has swung behind you, you fall forward into a pushup, and hold a toe stall behind your back with your toe pointed at the back of your head. I wish we'd taped it. It was really incredible. Johnny named it Skorpion's Tail, although I think Suderman's Tail is a better name ;) If Scorpion's Tail wasn't already taken, though it would be the perfect name. It was so amazing to see. I couldn't believe it. My pectorals hurt from trying it so many times. Thanks for blowing our minds, Johnny.

I had fun hanging out with Gordon Bevier at the party. I've known him since I (we) started going to tournaments in the late 90s, but we never had much camaraderie. That's been different at the past few tournaments, though. He's a great guy, and he brought a cool girl that now knows how to make 4 panel footbags.

So, there were some shining moments, but all in all, I was disappointed with how this tournament went. It's been my worst personal representation in a long time. I need more sessions during the week, I guess I've just got to cut down on intensity until I've got a stronger base. I want to be able to play right this summer.
BRICK!

nyfa

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 28 Apr 2006 05:47

I've been playing very lightly these past few days, a lot of time spent in hacky circles, and some time spent trying to learn Suderman's Tail. I've got these constant injuries really holding me back. My poor body is coming apart at the hips. Gyro mirages and gyro whirls are coming in really solid, though. So, maybe if I hold off a bit longer, and just go easy, my body can heal up and I can get back into the game... I dunno, soon, I hope. Prime shred weather is upon us in Fredonia. At least I'm getting a lot of interest from newer players. They respect and admire footbag. I like it when they refer to crochet bags as hacks and my bags as footbags.

Time for some brunch and then some studying and then a little mycological adventure!!!
BRICK!

nyfa

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 30 Apr 2006 08:34

I had a fun time playing footbag at Fredfest for a little while yesterday. I did a lot of hacky slack with a bunch of barefoot hippies and had fun. I hit mobius first try, and flip symp whirling flapper midstring (and BSOS) first try, that was gratifying. also barefoot ripstein on command.

This hip issue is bullshit. I am not pleased. it's feeling all right today, though. I'm going to do tom's super midsection stretch that he's taught me a few times, and do some shred. I can't help it!! what will I work on... how about blurry whirl > symp whirl repeat, and some good mobius links for once. maybe some 5s into and out of. Wish me luck.
BRICK!

nyfa

Jdigges
Flower Child

Post by Jdigges » 30 Apr 2006 13:09

Hey matt! thats awesome that your representing at Fredonia. i feel you on the injuries. my hip has been bothering me alot the last few weeks. it JUST started feeling better in the last couple days. Willie and i played today, and iw as almost completley pain free which was nice. I had to go light all weekend at GRASS so i didn't aggrovate it more :-/

Im getting amped for Spike n Shred already! do you think you'll make it?
Josiah Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 02 May 2006 12:26

didn't play after I last posted, but I did today, and I ended up having a session that started out kinda frustrating, but then ended being one of the most gratifying sessions I've had in a LONG time. I decided to go for new tricks today, and I hit muted blazing SS cloud delay, and came REALLY close on the flip time and again. Then, I hit swirling gyro mirage, and again the next try. Didn't take me long to hit at all. After those, I felt like I was getting my swirling gyro set nice and high and clean, and started trying swirling mobius. I couldn't hit it after a little while, so I decided to give suderman's tail a try, and I ended up doing it at least 5 times, and 2 or 3 times, I stood up out of it, and ALMOST made it out of it, but I just couldn't stand up out of it cleanly. I will next session. In fact, maybe I'll go tape it right now. Oh wait, I can't, I left my camera at Aric's house.

Then came the crown jewel of the session (and possibly of my footbag career thus far). With 10 minutes left before having to go to a meeting, I got back to trying swirling mobius, and after a few more minutes, I nailed it! it came straight back up for a clean hand catch... SO gratifying. What a sweet move. I'd never even thought of trying it before today. Can't wait to hit it for some people some day.
BRICK!

nyfa

Jdigges
Flower Child

Post by Jdigges » 02 May 2006 13:12

HUUUUGE props on swirling mobius matt!!! thats such a fat trick! i wanna see you hit that in person.

you should try a gyro swirling set! and hit torque or something out of it. that would be intense
Josiah Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew

Will Digges
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Will Digges » 03 May 2006 09:23

Swirling mobius!!! 8O

Crazy shit matt, i really want to see that too!
Will Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 06 May 2006 22:28

Swirling mobius!!! Oh man, I can't wait to see it. The same goes for Suderman's Tail! If Jersey Spike is going to hold some Weird comps this year, I'm sure you'll be able to nail it. That is if the man himself, Johnny, doesn't do his own signature move if he comes to the event.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 07 May 2006 15:13

thanks for the props, guys. It was an awesome move. you should have seen me jumping around like a crazy person when I hit it.

I played today with lots of enthusiastic hackers around here, taught my friend Quinn to do toe stalls on both sides and how to do inside kicks back and forth. My friend Johnny learned flip toe stall and sameside dragonfly. We had a lot of fun rocking out and doing long rallies with big kicks. Quinn's going to be good, I gave her a sandman footbag a few days ago, but she'd mentioned a few times how she can "really tell the difference" between a sandbag and a 32 panel footbag. She really prefers the panel bags, so I gave her the bag that Josiah traded me for one of mine. I hope you don't mind, J!! It was a well placed gift, I promise. She has the fire.

Anyway, time to learn.
BRICK!

nyfa

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 08 May 2006 20:18

wow, 8 PMs in 1 24-hour period. That's gotta be a personal record. No footbag today, except for some brief circle kicking. Hip hurts. I need to take a break before my event in early June. I'm not planning on attending spikenshred at this point, so maybe I can have a significant enough break to heal. This hip has been bothering me on and off since last summer, and more and more so lately. For the first time, it hurt when I wasn't playing. time for rest. I've been writing more music and feeling stronger in that area lately anyway.

I hope Quinn comes up to keep me company tonight... but I really should go to bed, I have my singing exam in the morning. Funnnnnnnnnnnn...
BRICK!

nyfa

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 08 May 2006 21:31

do re mi fa so la ti dooooooooo!!

good luck. it's exam week for me too.

Is your hip problem on the inside of the pelvis, almost like a groin pain that stretches from the front of the leg to down underneath the crotch? That's been my problem lately, and I'm pretty sure mine has to do with the hip flexor muscles. I think that's where Erik Chan said his injury came from too, and it makes perfect sense that a footbag player would have problems there. You probably already know what to do, but icing has helped a lot for me and you can do a search to find stretches that work on these muscles. Quad stretches are important too, apparently, since they're so strong and cause imbalance with the hip flexor ones. That's what I've been told anyway.

To many more years of freestyle. Peace.

Jdigges
Flower Child

Post by Jdigges » 09 May 2006 15:00

I have the same problem chris. I've been taking it really easy the since it happened. i played today almost completley pain free. only a couple minor tightness feelings. Although, i was playing very light.

I don't care at all that you gave that bag to her Matt. I guess its time that it gets some womenly love. Was she the one that is buying the Purple and Animal print bag? Its sitting in an envelope with a stamp on it by the way! just needs address and payment hehe.
Josiah Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 09 May 2006 17:24

yo josiah,

I'm hoping my friend will give me pertinent info and money in the very near future, but finals time is busy. Quinn isn't the one buying the footbag, it's for another friend.

I wish I could even play lightly without pain. I really gotta take a break. Time for my 3rd ice session of the day... and more work on this paper...
BRICK!

nyfa

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 18 May 2006 08:28

played yesterday. looks like I'm staying in fredonia for the summer. My new housemate is into freestyle, and he hit lots of consecutive toe stalls, and a clipper stall yesterday. He might even want to get some proper shoes. I was psyched to see him playing and getting into it and using both feet. I did lots of gyro clippers yesterday before trying any gyro dexing moves, and after I did that, I hit LOTS of mobiuses from both sides. I think I hit more than I dropped. Vortex is still really difficult for me, but the mobiuses were feeling solid. The hip was okay, too. I did some nice new stretches, and it's feeling all right today. I'm confident that spike and shred, and buskerfest are going to go well. And then after buskerfest is east coasts! I've got a big month coming up! fuck...

so who wants to go to ECFC with me? what about spikenshred?
BRICK!

nyfa

Will Digges
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Will Digges » 18 May 2006 09:00

Matt I really want to go to East Coasts, but I don't think I can make it, because im going to spike and shred, then montreal the weekend after that. And I have to take the SAT's on the 10th.. :(
Will Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew