F.A.T.

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Lackey82
Fearless

Post by Lackey82 » 06 Oct 2010 10:23

Yeah Andrew, you were playing SICK.

My only real highlight was

Ducking Symple Twist

I played well after everyone else had gone in... what can I say, I really actually dig playing in the rain.

Oh yeah... for most of the session we were playing in the rain.
Joshua Lackey
"Class is what I do during my Footbag breaks"
Challenge me! Toronto/FAT Footblog

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 06 Oct 2010 20:27

Awesome highlights guys! I really want to come down (or up, depending on where I am!) to Toronto for a session! Too bad it's already getting cold but I'm sure I'll find some time to come down to play :D

Justin Hall
Shredalicious

Post by Justin Hall » 07 Oct 2010 13:41

I am going to toronto saturday to get a slack line lol and I have time to shred for a couple of hours. Is anyone able to come?

Played today and I hit Pdx Drifter for the first time and hit it three times in a row. I also final hit Symp mirage>ss symp mirage>rpt for the first time and hit flip side DLO. Also I am now able to do symple legovers on both sides.

Lackey82
Fearless

Post by Lackey82 » 08 Oct 2010 09:07

Justin that's so awesome! You hit your Symp Mirage drill!

Symple Legovers are so vital to many multidex moves, so props on that for sure. Also, Pdx Drifter is sick. Nice work!

I won't be around on Saturday unfortunately, but I look forward to slacklining with you at the next session and hopefully doing a better job... heheh.
Joshua Lackey

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 08 Oct 2010 09:45

Props on the symp mirage drill, Justin!

Justin Hall
Shredalicious

Post by Justin Hall » 13 Oct 2010 13:31

Thanks guys! Kickass has really got me back into playing, though once or twice a week is all I can fit in due to school but its better then nothing.

Any ideas of some other good drills that are around my skill level?

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 13 Oct 2010 13:56

Yeah, just work on lots of tiltless drills and long tiltless freestyle runs, making sure to get everything bothsidedly. I was surprised, because the symp mirage drill seems a bit beyond the level at which you play. It's super cool, but you should probably work to solidify your basics still before trying stuff on the symp mirage level.

If you're sick of the toe-set 2s, like mirage, legover, and those, you can work on some more fun 2s, like, ducking toe stalls, or spinning toe stalls! Or even work on making your 2 adds uptime, and turning them into sets (pixie, fairy, atomic, stepping, quantum, etc). And just do those sets with nothing after them in your runs. Or do multiple sets in a row with nothing after them.

Be able to do any of the 2 adds 20 times in a row.
If you can do 20 mirages in a row, that drifter you like will become a lot easier.

BuckRuckus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by BuckRuckus » 15 Oct 2010 08:06

I'm gonna play some hacky sack with some old-school kickers in Hamilton tomorrow (Saturday Oct. 16). If anyone would like to come out that would be awesome! At least one of the players is interested in perhaps learning a bit of freestyle.

Time and place are not locked down yet. But probably early afternoon-ish, and very close to the GO Station for your convenience. Weather should be good. We don't have too many nice weekends left!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 15 Oct 2010 16:50

I hit atomic whip > spinning whip both sides yesterday first try. Not much of a session, since it's getting way too cold, but that was neat, considering my sucky atomics :) Also, this was mostly practice for getting used to the Descriptive System. I keep forgetting to try out the new terms.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 16 Oct 2010 20:02

BSOSed that combo today, and also hit atomic whip > spinning mirage [repeat]. Oh, and also paradon swirl > handcatch > other side. I hit a random paradon swirl, like, first or second try at KICKASS, but other than that, this is the second time ever hitting it each side.

Oh, I also got pdx DLO > paradon > DLO > paradon [repeat]. It wasn't too hard, but felt good :) I'm glad my DLOs are finally coming back a bit. Still no energy for runs, but might jam again tomorrow with Manna which would be conducive to that end.

Langstaff
Multidex Master

Post by Langstaff » 18 Oct 2010 13:26

:? Not gonna make it to York session for the second week in a row.. Something subtle but bad happened to my left ankle, and it still hasn't repaired after 2 weeks.

I <3 footbag but I <3 the longevity of my most-used joints more =P
Andrew Langstaff

Lackey82
Fearless

Post by Lackey82 » 19 Oct 2010 16:36

Sooo... after wrestling with my bro on Thanksgiving weekend, my ribs on the right side are in some decent disarray. I've been stretching a lot and trying to work it out but I'm still really sore. On top of that I've also missed the last couple York sessions... Oh well. I'll be back soon!

Erik! We need to get together soon! Are you back?

Oh and Greenwood... I still have your sunglasses.

Peace.
Joshua Lackey

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 19 Oct 2010 18:07

Naw, I'm still in Winnipeg. I'm probably driving back this coming weekend.

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 22 Oct 2010 11:17

Hey everyone.

Sorry I havent been around lately...just been busy with work.

I have still be solo shredding quite frequently though, and here are some motha-f%@#'n highlights.

Eriks Pdx Dlo>Paradon>Dlo>Paradon>Rpt combo

Paradon>Barfly>Barrage>Rpt x2

Rubberman>Stepping Ss Mirage>Dimwalk>Barfly>Rpt

A bunch of unexpected Ps Whirls BS mid-string

Zooming Gyro Whirl Bsos

Pheonix>Blurriest Bsos

Open ss Whirl>Stepping ss Whirl Bsos

Flip Whirlygig :P

Anyway, If anyone wants to session this sunday, I'm willing to travel....Oshawa crew? Hamilton/Oakville peeps?
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 22 Oct 2010 11:19

damn, adam. huge shred!
greg raymond, kingston

FB: Rocker Holliday

"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know." - Jack Handey

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 22 Oct 2010 12:42

Thanks Greg. :D

A couple more things from today's atomic schooling session...

Rubberman with Reactors

Smog>Atom smasher>Rpt
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 22 Oct 2010 13:03

Rubberman with Reactors
Then try dioman ;). Dante was trying that few months ago :
Stepping far illusion - atomic illusion - atomic far whirl - rpt. Like rubberman, but with whirl instead of down and illusion instead of mirage ;).

Have fun!

Lackey82
Fearless

Post by Lackey82 » 24 Oct 2010 03:21

Hey!

Like Adam, I've been super busy, not to mention injured. My ribs are taking a long time to heal. I've been a bit of a dick and blown off the York sessions (not to mention Adam). I don't want to disappear again, but it's hard to get psyched about footbag when you can't play.

So... I really want to bite the bullet and buy some ultrasuede. I want to stitch another few bags at lest, and see if they turn out better than my first one.

Talk soon!
Joshua Lackey

BuckRuckus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by BuckRuckus » 28 Oct 2010 16:12

Hey FAT!
I made a space in my studio for shred! That's right - I'm back in the game! I really just needed to get some frickin exercise. My new focus is mainly on endurance and my health. I don't care about string length or big tricks - I just want to look good naked! :)

I'm so out of practice, but tonight I hit toe stall > legover x 20 (each side) and toe stall > pickup x 20 (each side). Not very exciting I know, but I'm just happy to be kicking again. I'm about to do a similar drill with mirages, then practice pixies.

I want to give you guys all props for the new tricks and combos I'm reading in this blog - but you know me - if I cant hit the trick - I cant remember what its called. So you'll just have to show me next time we play.

Also, does anyone happen to know where I can get a good shred mat for my room? Something that will cushion the sound and not slip too much? I imagine a good fitness store will have that sort of thing.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 28 Oct 2010 17:00

We're in a similar situation, Mike!
I play 80% for exercise these days. It's hard to solo for any other reason.
I also just set up a shred room for myself today in the basement of my girlfriend's family's house. I just drove home from Winnipeg and made it a point to bring my shred mats which are rubber bottomed, and a kind of carpet on top.
-The rubber is thick enough that it cushions the impact making it better than cement on my body
-It also prevents the mats from slipping on the floor

I used to use those foam puzzle piece mats.
They are very cusiony, which you really notice if you have leg pain, but the cons outweigh the pros for me:
-They slip around on smooth surfaces like hardwood floor or linoleum
-They are sometimes TOO cushiony causing extra friction on tricks with pronounced foot pivoting (spinning)
-They don't slip around on cement outdoors, but they are so light that they will blow away or apart with a strong wind.

The rubber/carpet mats I use were $15 per piece at Costco. I use 2 pieces and it's a pretty ideal size. They're probably about 2x3 feet each? They're quite heavy, being mostly rubber. The carpet is a great surface. The mats do tend to slip apart slightly, and that can be fixed wit ha couple strips of duct tape on the underside.

The foam puzzle piece mats I used to use were, like, $50 for 16 (each piece is somewhere between 1.5-2 feet?). I bought them from Walmart. One solution I used for slipping on a smooth floor was duct taping the whole 14-piece mat to the floor. It worked okay.

I'd recommend checking out someplace like Walmart or a home hardware-like place. I saw some rubber bottomed ones similar to mine at Walmart a while back for, like, a couple bucks per mat.

I'm happy you're back into the game!