F.A.T.

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 17 Feb 2012 16:25

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHZ17leFeYs[/youtube]

Camera test for a big video I want to film this spring. Not the best stuff I have, but pretty good. :)
Last edited by Allan on 05 Oct 2014 20:48, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixing youtube embed
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

BuckRuckus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by BuckRuckus » 24 Feb 2012 15:44

FUKYEA!

Greenwood: Single-handedly keeping Toronto alive and relevant on the big world-map of footbag.

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 16 Mar 2012 19:57

Still at it as usual, never really take more than a day or two off between session, always thinking of the next chance I'll get to shred.

Alpine Food.

Just thought I would throw that in there.....

Third or Fourth 7.

Have played outside a few time recently as well, it really has a different pacing somehow. More long strings seem to materialize. Also, I find that pavement its super grippy, and my shuffle is better. Its like I have a better footing at all times.

I'm going tree planting again this summer. Last time ever. I promise. No. Really this time. Really. It makes me not feel as motivated to shred, as I lose a bit of progress anyway, but somehow, I find myself out there playing just as often. Its like a natural process. It just needs to happen.

One more highlight which isn't too amazing, but for a guy who was never much of a spinner or osis'er it marks my increasing mastery of things from the more stylish low-dex areas of footbag.

Spinning Whirl>Pdx Torque Bsos

Sweet dreams modified.
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 12 Apr 2012 07:10

Lots of good stuff going on!

Firstly, Video in the works! :D

Secondly, I have been playing with Erik a bunch. Its great to have someone at my level to shred with, instead of constant solo shredding, and our sessions are always great.

Lastly, on April 26th Dante will be swinging through Toronto for the afternoon, and we'll be have a session downtown (near union somewhere). I encourage everyone and anyone who would like to come out for a shred to put in an appearance, as soon after I'll be headed out west for planting. Oshawa? Jay? Sam? Josh? Camille?

I would also throw in some highlights, but I'm keeping them secret because a lot of them are going in the video. :D
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 16 Apr 2012 12:58

Filming finished. Time to start editing! :D
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 16 Apr 2012 18:44

Awesome.
I'm looking forward to it!
How many sessions did you use total? It's gonna be epic.

SnowBlindSloth
Fearless

Post by SnowBlindSloth » 04 Jun 2012 07:12

Anyone in town who still shreds? I'm back for two months and would love to shred some. Anyone down?
Alex Venis

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Re: F.A.T.

Post by Slowsis » 18 Aug 2012 09:18

So I'm back in Toronto after treeplanting again.....the usual. :D

Anyway, I've been training hard again, and am getting back in shape. Anyone still play footbag in Toronto? In the GTA? In Canada? In North America?

Feeling like I'm getting back up to speed faster than I have in previous years. Then again I'm training harder, and smarter hopefully.

Footed Mobius>Mobius, felt awesome considering spinning and flip Osis have been two of the last components to give me any trouble.

Its really to bad that Erik left Toronto, I found our session were really productive, mainly because we had slightly different strengths, and it always made me think to do combos and tricks I might normally ignore/forget about.

I went to MTL a couple weekends ago, and got in a quick session with Mat MG. Lots of fun, but hes a bit injured and I was really rusty from not playing for 3 months, so no big highlights.

Footbag is good shit, don`t ever forget it.
:footbag:
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 19 Aug 2012 16:54

Yeah, those sessions were really fun. Especially those last few at that school yard.
Tom posted in my blog saying that he wanted to start things up with Toronto shred -- you should contact him about that. It'd be great to see him play again. Also make more videos. I love that one you made before you left. Great music too.

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 21 Sep 2012 22:36

Hello FAT blog.....still the longest blog on Modified is see.

Anywho,

Since returning from planting I've been playing a minimum of 4 times a week. Solid sessions, I feel physically great, and am pretty much back to where I was before the summer. Its nice to see a little dedication pay off. :D

A quicky highlight

Gyro Mirage, Gyro Osis, Spinning Osis and Spinning Mirage, all BS in one string.

A year ago I was a poor~mediocre in the realm of spinning tricks. Just saying. This kind of progress on one of my worse concepts makes me :mrgreen: .

Chao
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 08 Dec 2012 08:23

Christmas is coming! Anyone going to be back in town for a session?
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 30 Dec 2012 09:44

So I'm going to make the effort to get out an visit some other shredders/cities over the next couple months.

Anyone care to have me?

Who still plays out there/
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 04 Jan 2013 12:30

I don't know how far you can go, but there are several areas on the west coast of the United States that I'm sure would love to have you visit. Our Seattle club is quite active, as is Portland and the Stanford crew in California.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 06 Jan 2013 21:43

Longest blog, also started on my 24th birthday ;)

Hope to see you cats at Worlds.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 08 Jan 2013 19:31

Ha! If I had know I would have mentioned you in the first post.....and yes, you will definitely be seeing at least me at worlds.
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 19 Jan 2013 07:35

Finally have a camera charger.

Video.

Coming to a footblog near you.

Febuary/2013.
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 19 Jan 2013 14:31

Looking forward to it!

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 07 Mar 2013 11:12

So no video yet, partially due to some minor injury issue, which havent stopped me from playing, but would have made my play look a little flat and wouldnt have represented my true range of ability. Anyway, thats all done with, now back to full on training!

These recent minor issues (knee tendons on hard whirling tricks on one side) and some other minor tweaks in other places have really made me consider my training and come up with novel solutions to keep improving without putting myself at risk for injury.

The problem with training is that to really dial in a trick, or learn a totally new concept, you need to try it over and over. This obviously opens the door to repetetive strain injuries, and I am sure is the root cause of a lot of tendon damage suffered by players. That said, drilling a trick over and over is the only way to really get better at it (other than advice on form and technique, which can only get you so far). This led me to the idea of more focused sessions.

(Example)
Session 1: 1 - 1.5
Warm-up
Runs (5-10 longer runs at your full ability)
(3)7-10 minute sections devoted to a specific concept/trick
Runs (same as before)
Warm-down/ Additional Spinning/Dexless practice

Explination: Some parts of this seem obvious of course, warm-ups are neccessary, as are warm downs. Freestyle runs are important to do every session, as they keep the game fun, and are what you will be doing when you play with others. The part that really matters is the chunks of focused attention to a single trick or concept. One of the important things to note is that you should pick concepts, then work on them multiple days in a row. Im having trouble finding the words to explain it, but this little diagram should do the trick.

Day 1
Whirls
Pixie Shuffle
Eggbeaters

Day 2
Whirls
Pixie shuffle
Dlos

Day 3
Whirls
Toe shuffle
DLOs

Day 4
Drifters
Stepping
DLOs

Day 5
Drifters
Stepping
Ducking

Day 6
Drifters
Toe Shuffle
Ducking

Etc......

Anyway, the point is that to get the benefits of schooling a trick over and over without the danger of overuse of a joint or tendon, all you need to do is devote a portion of time EVERY SINGLE SESSION to that trick, until you see improvement. My knee tweek came after spending a full 25-ish minutes working on stepping ss whirl>stepping/blenders/whirl, and if i had spent 10 minutes a session over 3-4 sessions, I'm sure I wouldnt have run into the same problems.

Anyway, this has been a bit rambling, but I needed to write it down. I hope someone finds it useful.

Time to go to the gym, Aleksi's video from yesterday made me realize I suck at footbag.
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 07 Mar 2013 11:43

Interesting drilling strategy. I may try out something similar.
Slowsis wrote:
Time to go to the gym, Aleksi's video from yesterday made me realize I suck at footbag.
This made me laugh, because I had the exact same reaction. :lol:

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 07 Mar 2013 20:19

Yeah I've been spending 90% of my sessions just drilling stuff lately. I never spend more than a few minutes on any particular concept but I try to work on every trick every session. I usually drill a particular trick/concept about ten times each side and then change it up. I find this to work pretty well. The progress on each concept is a little slower but it's good because there is consistent improvement across the board and its not too hard on the joints.

I hit 80 tiltless today :)