Jay's Blog.

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
EoghanMcDowell
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by EoghanMcDowell » 27 Aug 2011 19:43

Hey Jay. Just stopping by to say hi and congrats on making BAP. Quite an estimable achievement I must say! I was thinking about the past and such, and I think the only time I really hung out with you was when you, me, and Cale went to that mexican resteraunt during...Green Cup I think it was, like, a year or two ago. Talk about goggles to the past my friend, goggles of regret and soft contemplation...

Anyway, I'd say do whatever the **** you want in regards to footbag. You've been a giant in the public eye of footbag for so long, I think you deserve a "do whatever the f*** I want" interim period.

Take care man,

Make sure your showers not bleeding moose entrails.

Eoghan.
Eoghan Patrick Morgan McDowell

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 04 Sep 2011 17:53

So.

Today I write to you, sitting in my new apartment, rain outside the windows, dim lighting all around, stomach full and eyes nearly teary. I returned from Finland on August 8th, and now almost a month later on September 4th I have finished my Finland trip. Some of you probably would consider it over upon return home to Canada, but I had 60+ gigabytes of footage from my trip, which when sorted was about 28 gigabytes of useful, footbag. My trip to Finland was a life experience, traveling to Turku, Tampere, Helsinki, Espoo area Kuopio, Nilsiä, Jyväskylä, whatever the town where Toni's parents lived was, and all the travel inbetween. I was fortunate enough to spend time, with people who I would consider my best friends on this earth. Over the trip, Anssi was basically like the best friend / big brother I never had, and to be able to make that promo vid for him didn't scratch the surface on how appreciative I am of that. I'm sure many of you know that Anssi is both an idol and a friend, but considering that I'm likely to move to a nation where I don't have family, non-footbag friends or a grasp of the language, because of a friendship that started in 2008... Mindblowing. Anssi looked after me from the beginning of my journey, through his trick tips videos, visiting me in my own city as his first trip to North America, to me visiting his house, in the corner of Finland three times. So many inside jokes, and memories..

I never knew going into the trip, that Samu Ahola would be such a big part of it, but after spending a week with him before worlds... Shredding all over, eating all over, partying all over, talking bullshit or serious conversation all inbetween, it is quite sad to see that fade into what was.. Last year with Kevin Regamey in Oakland, I recall us discussing how powerful some footbag relationships are, even though you see each other for pieces of the year. I recall with Kevin, talking about how you can literally place your life in another footbagger's hand with complete trust, and sometimes in footbag trips you have to. With Samu, I did just that and have zero regrets. All the way from partying on a Tuesday to running Request at worlds, we went through a lot and I can't explain how that makes me feel. So many Midget Koala's. Thanks "David Clavens" from Hamilton Ontario , your legacy will live on.

Aleksi was a person who I spent time with, but didn't feel like I really understood before this trip. I must say, if I ever was to choose a person to run a country, it would be Aleksi. Imagine combining Bill Nye, Samuel Jackson, and William Shatner, bake them at 300 degrees for a few years, and you might get someone as monstrous as he. I feel like I could summarize how awesome Aleksi is, in an understandable manner only by writing full stories here, many of which are not suitable for the public eye. I can't even think of which story to tell without laughing, out loud alone on a rainy night. Fucking Gentleman.

Dr. Antikainen also holds a special place in my heart, from this trip. We went out for lunch, during his work day, shredded, had a "finnish" dinner accompanied by his absurdly awesome wife, and just.. If there was ever a guy I would want to leave everything in my Will to unconditionally, it would be him. It doesn't get much better than Tuukka. He pushes your Sauna tolerance, gives a great day of shred, drinks like a world class champion, discusses life with the utmost respect for it, and just... I need to move to Finland so I can give him 10% of the awesome memories that he has given me. When I think of a reason to forget my entire life in Canada for another country, he is a prime example as to why. He literally leads the life I would want to live. Fucking Gentleman.

And who knew, but Jupe the fucking Yksisarvinen Marjo. I spent a few days up where Juho lives, among the angels, and I don't think I've respected life more than when I was there. I knew that, when I left for Finland, my life wouldn't be the same when I got back. I'm at a time when, upon graduation my life *will* change drastically, and I intended to use this Finland trip in order to figure out what I prioritized in life. After spending a few days with Juho, it is unquestionable. Many of you probably know Juho to be a bit shy and mysteriously fucking gorgeous, and he is those things, but on top of that he is just a ridiculous human being. I've changed a lot about how I eat simply because of him, and the three days spent living the dream. Once I am non-injured, I will also begin to train as he does, and hopefully one day obtain half the power he has. A superb host, friend and pimp... The next time any of you fellow readers see him, grovel at his feet for he is Jupe. You are in the presence of a god.

Now imagine a 100+ year old house. This house is dark, no electricity, warped windows and cracks in the walls. You have ventured hours into a land you have never been to, dirt roads mosquitoes are abundant, and you couldn't call for help if you wanted to. You then notice, you are also in 90 degrees [/celcius] of the gentlest heat you've ever been exposed to. You look at your side, you have the Vasta of all Vihtas, some birch branches all tangled up in a bouquet, which you are whipping yourself with simply to feel your blood flow. You look around you, in the dimness of the Finnish evening, and Toni Pääkönen is across the room. You are in a savu-sauna which has been heating for 6 hours for you to enter. The room is silent, all you hear is the sound of the löyly steaming off of the Kiuas. Everything you have done in life, has led up to this, very personal, very important moment. Ville Laakso, on your other side, pouring water over anything and everything that exists, to undergo a sensation that one only knows if he has been in a true sauna. Long drinks and beers ingested and just outside the door, but apart from that the world couldn't matter. The smell of smoke has baked into your skin, which eases after multiple showers and days of shred, only to remind you later that you have been in a savusauna.. With Toni and Ville, just beside the house where the Beast played footbag as just a boy.. Something about that leg of my trip.. I try to relive it in my head when I can, but you just had to be there.

I can't begin to describe how much Finland means to me, and how having a family there. It is lost to me, how I seem to be the only person who realizes this. It is comparable to how, you watch footbag among your friends on youtube for the first time, and you seem to be the only person in the room who sees how magnificent it is. You play in your basement day in and day out, and they simply think "yeah, it is nice". Finland, is my "footbag" inside of "footbag". Just the coolest fucking thing ever, that the more you learn about the better it gets.

Now, when I think about that trip.. With those people, those memories, experiences and life lessons... To be "bap'ed" there, is just unbelievable. I don't think you are supposed to feel as strongly about BAP when you get in as I do, but like, it means so much more to me than footbag. I live my life in Canada very alone, seeing my family only occasionally and never connecting with them. My friends are indeed friendly, but only but a few have connected in my brain as strongly as footbaggers... Just, it means the world to me.

And now I'm done my little tribute to that, having made all the christmas calendar videos I could. I know many people wont watch every one, but, when you do, I ask that you try to realize that this isn't just a footbag video, but a piece from my life that I will never forget. I guess it is kind of selfish of me, but I really would love for the world to see what I see, and hopefully this helps that.

Time to play some footbag.
Last edited by jay7 on 04 Sep 2011 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Boychuk

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 04 Sep 2011 18:20

Amazing.
Thank you Jay.

dasreen
Shredaholic

Post by dasreen » 04 Sep 2011 22:31

Muffinman wrote:Amazing.
Thank you Jay.
rene

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 05 Sep 2011 17:39

Thanks for sharing Jay. I wonder if you ever would have discovered Finland if you hadn't found footbag.

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 05 Sep 2011 18:14

Wow, Jay.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 05 Sep 2011 18:29

I always enjoy reading you text Jay.
You have an awsome way to write things. You could write poetry or books man!
If you move in Finland, remain a part of Team Canada please hahaha! What would we do without you :)?

Mat

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 13 Sep 2011 17:48

To whom it may concern,

I had a weird day today. I felt off most of the day, and then I took a few hours and did some things with a friend and just felt absent most of the time. I got home, did a bit of this and that..Still felt "absent".. Tried to nap it off, but I realized my pulse was through the roof... Something was weird. So, I did some exercises, as today was my "day off" from footbag, and I felt pretty good... But still not all there. Then, as I was thinking about toking a shower, it just hit me like a ton of bricks.

I needed to play some fucking footbag.

This wasn't a conscious decision, it was like someone finger puppet-ed me into putting on my lavers, and all the sudden I felt like Vasek. My back was all but some crickets chirping, and I just didn't miss a beat. I did all my recent warmup with zero doubt, and all brute confidence. Keep in mind, this is in Lavers, and I'm still proud of this. After my warmup, my body just felt so ready that I just wanted to crush some whirls. My back hadn't felt this good since 1999, and my legs just felt like Vasek's.

Needless to say, those whirls were obliterated like I've never done before. Suddenly I felt like my clipper foot was from Felix, and that it would just stay under the bag for the entire arc of the bag, and I just had aeons to complete the whirl.

Now, I felt exceptionally weird about this for another reason. Jorden has told me how to whirl for about 30 years now, and I never really felt like I got it. I know that with many, many tricks of his, the advice made zero sense until I one day was pretty good at the trick...And suddenly it was like "Holy shit, I'm doing exactly what Jorden told me to do a year ago", and, it made zero sense how I didn't see it before. Well, whirl, has always been like that, until this lovely evening my friends. For some reason I just extended my leg more sideways before the whirl, brought my leg up, and then made a huge circle with my foot, in comparison to a jagged rat's tooth of a dex...And, it just seemed like Jorden had been saying that all along. Felix, also, told me earlier this year about how his whirl just has a huge circle, and, pushed his thigh more out to the side, and, who can argue with that man.

So, with this in mind, I got my new whirl record. A record that, I hit 3 times.

blurry whirl->spinning whirl->stepping whirl->blurry whirl->spinning whirl->stepping whirl->ps whirl->ps whirl->tomahawk->tomahawk.

Oh Finland, you slay me.

I actually don't think I did a single trick other than spinning clipper, and whirls, outside of my warmup. What the midgethedgehog.
Jay Boychuk

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 13 Sep 2011 20:18

great post, buddy. Keep it coming.

Come to NYC again soon?
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 14 Sep 2011 08:11

Can you write more about how you came to that realization about whirl? I read Jorden's whirl posture thread and I didn't really understand, and feel I need something more, especially since I'm over a decade ingrained in my bad form.

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 27 Sep 2011 11:58

So, life right? Due to my back still not being great, seeing a doctor with no benefit, and playing 3/4 times a week, I need to do something so that I can get back to playing at least 5-6 times a week with no injury. So, I've started out trying Hot Yoga once a week, and doing the ab/core section of P90x three times a week. Footbag is kind of addictive, and I'd like to do it more.

My game is startlingly weird. I'd be ashamed to play in front of anyone, I have no idea which shoes I should be using, and I'm completely torn about the whole not going to tournaments for a while. Reading all this east coast stuff is depressing, since I could have went and had a grand time, I'm sure. However, I'm glad I didn't, since I am so unconfident with my game right now that it would have been embarrassing to play. I still could have went, judged, gave tips or whatever, but I don't know...

Now, some of you fine folk might be saying "But little boy Jay, you must be diseased in the head! When your last highlights were Flurricane->dimwalk*rpt, Spinning whirl->double blender*rpt, symp airing whirling mirage / dlo, how could you possibly be playing so poorly to be embarrassed?"

My answer to you would be "Why yes strong bull, those were my highlights, as well as a lot of other stuff I didn't list, but when I was watching 100 bars and wasn't sure if I could hit ripwalk->ripwalk->barfly->pdx whirl->scorpion's tail" just like Vasek did in the intro, that is pathetic." Turns out I bsosed it first try, but, I had very little confidence that I could do so. My clipper is still really fucked up. I just have zero confidence that I'll be able to set from it. My butterfly has also went entirely in the shitter since switching to lavers. For example, yesterday, I tried doing some ripwalk b2b's. I dropped a lot of them. Then, first try, I did blurry whirl->stepping whirl->blurry whirl->stepping whirl->blurriest->blurriest->Hand. Like, I don't understand, how, I can't fucking do butterfly anymore. Someone without an embarrassing game doesn't forget how to do fucking butterfly. I tested myself, doing really bad sets, and trying to recover with a butterfly. I just fucking sucked. I did 50 infinities first try, and it felt great, but, I did pdx mirage->butterfly*rpt and my butterfly literally felt like the worst trick in my game. Triple over down on my flipside feels more comfortable than the butterfly off a ripwalk right now. I just don't, fucking, get it. The other day when I hit furious near whirl->furious near whirl both sides.. Like, I clearly can furious, and whirl now. I am dropping janiwalker->janiwalker. However, I can still hit nemesis->nemesis.

Like, fuck. God damn butterfly. Where did you go? I am actually more confident doing butterfly swirls now than fucking butterfly. I would have more comfort doing far swirl->spinning swirl*rpt than infinity spinning butterfly*rpt. This isn't normal. When I cut butterfly from my sessions, I have a gay old time, but like, as soon as I say "Alright, basics, I can't be good without basics"... I don't know, I'm tempted to just never do a butterfly again. But like, what if in request there is a combo ripwalk->sidewalk? Do I cry myself to sleep? This is just total horse hockey. Or squirrel scrabble. Or flamingo football. Or sloth soccer.

I notice many pdx tricks, some far tricks, I am just getting really inconsistent setting for them. Like, paradox whirl, is brutal. My leg is just flopping in the wind, I think the other day I got like 6 of them that felt confident, and then I got 10 blurry whirls first try. I just have no idea what is going on. And I don't like it.

In, other, less foolish news, I had my first "hardcore" string that was completely unprepared and David Clavenssque. You know what you just see him start a combo with a link, and then it is like muscle memory just powers through the mighty tundra and then all the sudden your mind is blown? I didn't quite do that, but, for the first time ever I did a combo. Not a link, not a drill, just, a combo. This made me happy.

Whirling butterfly->stepping whirl->whirling butterfly->stepping whirl->(Combo starts here)->blurriest->blurrier->superfly->superfly->ps whirl->tomahawk->spinning whirl->stepping eggbeater->(Back to shit I was drilling earlier in session) pixie near whirl->flurry->hand.

I don't know where the fuck it came from. All the sudden I was wrist deep into the second superfly, wondering "Wait, what?" and then just was catching the bag.

I believe that, the above explanation, should give a good indication why I think I shouldn't play in front of other people for a while. If I went to a tournament, even.. Like, would I enter circle contest, and blow up, or, forget ripwalk? I'm simply not mentally stable in the slightest.

In other news, I hit a really cool drill. Tapping whirl->airing mirage*rpt. I was also close to another four dex, where, all the dexes are the same direction, with the same foot. Starts on toe. George Clooney can suck it.
Jay Boychuk

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 30 Sep 2011 02:11

The reason for your butterfly problem is:
You have gotten HARDCORE! And butterfly is a soft bitch name.
If you start calling it down like you used to you will own it again!
GET DOWN ON IT!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qchPLaiKocI[/youtube]

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 08 Oct 2011 09:57

Oh Mr. Moose.

So, played with Jorden yesterday, outside, on concrete, in the sun for 3 hours. Felt really good to do that again, since I've been in my carpeted basement with little airflow for so long. My toe game still works, and I've improved my whirls a lot, and my legs just feel stronger than ever. It is great. However, the unconfidence still runs strong in my loins.

I don't think I did any runs. Like, my longest run was probably blurry whirl->stepping whirl->blurry whirl->stepping whirl->Ripwalk->Blur->open near symp double down. Lavers are just so gosh darn slippery, it is hilarious.

The coolest highlight of our session, was me hitting Fairy everything first try, and Jorden hitting it within a minute of me hitting mine. I feel like it is sort of safe to assume that there haven't been many circles to have done that.

I'm really close to hitting a completely badass 4 dex invention on both sides. When it is on video, I might coo softly alone in a dark room for a few days. Jorden mentioned that I might combust upon actually sealing it instead of smacking it into the ground. We'll see.

The only real highlight for me was learning gyro symp double down. I tried torch->gyro symp double down, and cleared the last dexes first try. I think I could get it back to back next session if I wanted.

I guess I also hit another milestone with Jorden, I got whirligig b2b for the first time. I could easily see hitting 5+ beastly if I learned it like Dave in Autumn, because gig-gig-torch-torch would be really easy. Maybe add a mullet/spender/backside bed or something afterward. *shrugs*. Soon.

Yay footbag. Curse you clipper stalls. Yay dexes. Curse you clipper stalls.
Jay Boychuk

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 09 Oct 2011 22:10

I'd just like to point out that my signature is your response to me suggesting that you could make BAP at Worlds 2010.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 16 Oct 2011 05:09

Ha, Zac, what a flashback. I completely forgot that, that was what it was about. Curious.

So, I played with Mathieu Giard last night. I knew going into it I'd play horrible, since, I've played horribly ever since I switched to Lavers. I just assumed that I'd be able to pull something out of my ass if need be. *shrugs*. I really don't think I had anything over 10 contacts, not that I was really trying, but I just couldn't get in the game. This is bad. The player I have become is the "Try something over and over and that is it"..Which works when you want to set a record for a trick, invent a trick, or do things you've never done... But the way I have been playing simply isn't conducive to being able to play well when someone new comes to town.

I also deduce that lavers just suck. I'm switching to Quantums. I had a pair re-soled before I fully switched to gunits, which I never really used. They should have decent grip, so, we'll see. That switch happens today. After playing in a month they are stilll just super slippery, horrid toe walls, horrible insole.... And, the actual mesh on the shoe is slippery. I feel like I somehow got a bad model or something, because I switched to another pair of lavers mid session last night, and I could actually sort of play. I had never used this model, in the last month's training. However, they are almost a size too big, and I don't want to get used to that.

I feel like when Vasek took me aside after I made BAP, and had a serious discussion with me about footbag.. That I am now beginning to understand the gravity of what he was saying. I'm gad I remember it so well and that his lessons are not lost on me. This goes along with a rather life changing emotional overhaul I've been going through. I've been changing from the boy I was after Germany, rather drastically since about June, but the last month, and the last week of that month have just blown my mind in life lessons. Friends are weird, kids. I don't know how to do this game, but I know I've spent too much of my life neglecting friendship, let alone love/relationships, and I'm picking up all the pieces before I graduate. This doesn't lessen motivation for footbag, but it is changing my perspective on it, and gives me more tools to use what Vasek said. I really need to figure out my goal in footbag now, so I can grow to achieve that, and not just sit in my basement doing weird tricks. I think if I put less pressure on trying to get an ambiguous goal, I might begin to advance in the game again.

Maybe this is just a coincidence, and my floundering for the last month is purely due to the fact that lavers are the worst shoe known to man. We'll see. Doubtful.

Thought of the day: Receiving the first hug of your life that you actually feel connected to is remarkable. I can't believe I've never "hugged" anyone in my life before. Getting close enough to someone to do that, is, magnificent. Don't start forest fires kids.
Jay Boychuk

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 05 Nov 2011 06:37

Figure I'll try something new, and just write pure highlights.

Symp whirr.

Sidewalk->blurry drifter->sidewalk->fog->tapping whirl*rpt.
Barraging whirl->hand->whirring swirl->hand->stepping whirling swirl->hand->otherside->*rpt

Nemesis first try both sides, early in the session. This is noteworthy simply because I don't do nemesis anymore.

Blurry drifter->triage bs. Harder than you'd think.

Flurricane->open clipper->flurricane->open drifter->run->huge shuffle section.

open whirl->stepping ss switch*rpt*4->open double down->stepping ss switch*4. Not hard, but it felt really easy and I had the "wait, I just hit that?" feeling afterward.

Also, at least 3 runs that felt godlike in control. As you all may have known, I've lost a lot of my confidence, but after warming up with clippers for 10/20 minutes, I felt a lot better. Btw, drilling infinities still scares me. Tempted to lose this move all together. Hard. As. Fuck.

Don't think I invented anything. Balls. Should have tried a few things. Next time.
Jay Boychuk

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 05 Nov 2011 08:30

Crazy highlights man.

How many people already hit symp whirr? Vasek... You... Felix (not sure)??? and... yah.

Props man :O!! Canadaaaaa

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 08 Nov 2011 13:14

Mathieu: Vasek and I believe Johnny Murphy in New Zealand have hit symp whirr.

So, I tried filming midway through a session. Sadly, I didn't get what I hoped.

I "hit", and I say this in quotations because there is a decent chance one of the dexes in the following tricks weren't clean...

Blurriest symp rev up,
Janiwalker symp revup.

The issue is the butterfly before the symp rev up. I filmed it, and, it is "clean" depending on where you count the dex as happening. Either way, with time, and strength, I'll get 'em clean.

And, I footed, on film, about 5 times, my "dream" trick. I hope to get this sometime in the near future, since, footing a trick so many times is just infuriating.

I also worked on my "sick 10", and got many new links and drills ready for the 30+ 3 dexes. Most notably, I got delusional ss mirage bsos in one of the attmepts. I don't think Jorden has ever done that, and if he has, probably not inbetween triple dexes.

I'm liking this footbag game.
Jay Boychuk

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 08 Nov 2011 13:39

I don't think you're playing the same "footbag game" that the rest of us are.

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 08 Nov 2011 14:01

*spits pumpkin egg nog on computer screen*
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag