Janis's blog - (un)retired from footbag

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
janis
Post Master General

Re: Janis's blog - (un)retired from footbag

Post by janis » 16 Mar 2016 06:27

Did some practice today. Horrifically out of shape. Need to find some professional to discuss my knee with, doesn't hurt a lot but it's fairly weak.

The website is getting to that stage where fairly substantial improvements in usability start to happen, exciting times ahead.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 03 Apr 2016 22:13

Short practice today, managed to get 42 flipside ATW and 45 on strong.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 03 Oct 2017 02:54

Thinking of playing some more but don't have a suitable pair of shoes or a bag for that matter, not sure what the current state of affairs is with footbag shoes, any advice would be appreciated.

Also I've abandoned that footbag project, just seems like there's not enough people that would be involved. Perhaps I'm just not seeing the community anymore since I'm not on Facebook or have things really died?

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 03 Oct 2017 04:41

Most activity is on Facebook, but there's not a ton of it, not like back when Modified was active.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 07 Oct 2017 22:36

Shoes are still a bit of a debacle. There are regularly Lavers on ebay, though I guess the size could be an issue. There are a few other shoes around that have some reasonable clipper surfaces as well.

There are some good stitchers pumping out bags as well, you can get a lot of them from Freedom Footbags, or direct from the stitchers.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 26 Oct 2018 22:31

Been playing fairly regularly this year. Not really doing anything particularly interesting in regards to playing and not especially trying to get better but taking it more as a hobby type of deal. My shoes are almost entirely gone though, might have to get a new pair sometime soon.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 09 Jan 2019 05:48

Been playing with the new lavers lately, they are so heavy!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 10 Jan 2019 02:26

I imagine if you trained in these and then switched to a regular Laver, tricks might seem easier to hit. Not sure if that's how it would work, but that's the whole idea of resistance training. I've got a pair of the medium heaviness ones (I think these are the made in Vietnam) and I think the very heavy ones are Indonesia? Can't even remember, but it's definitely a different feeling on the feet.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 13 Jun 2020 16:22

I have the very heavy ones and there's certain multi-dex tricks I just can't hit that I think I could do with lighter shoes. It took me many months to be able to do all the DATWs in a string, something that I found fairly easy back in the day. That said I'm older so it might just be that too!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Age is just a number

Post by C-Fan » 13 Jun 2020 17:42

How old are you? I've found the biggest impact age has had on me is the length of time it takes me to recover, as well as my ability to warm up. I used to be able to warm up and cool down multiple times in a day, especially with competition to motivate me. I can no longer do that. When I am actually playing though I find my legs are about as fast as they were in my 20s still. I just turned 40 two months ago.

Curious to see if you have similar effects.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 14 Jun 2020 14:14

Early 30s. Definitely understand where you are coming from with the whole warmup/cooldown thing. I have 1 good session in me a day and need a rather long warmup if I don't want to risk injury. When I'm playing I can play a while but I just can't play more than 1 session in a day anymore and that includes a workout or playing any other sport. As for speed I feel substantially slower than at my peak, but back then I played *a lot* and not so much now. I get the impression you play/train more consistently I do so that could be a factor too.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 17 Jun 2020 20:18

Going to take the camera out today, wanted to play earlier in the week but hurt my ankle a little and haven't wanted to push it. Was going to try some of the intermediate LOTD from 2019 but I don't think I'm quite up for that today as I'll probably push a but too hard, I don't think I could do any of the open combos anymore.

Also I don't know what some of these names actually are lol:
1: magellan -> DLO
4: symposium butterfly -> far refraction

Magellan? Refraction?

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 Jun 2020 17:35

Magellan is "around the world and back again" - pixie same legover.
Here's Ianek doing refraction - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boiBSd5-480 - it's a butterfly bailed to osis (like a motion with only one dex)

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 23 Jun 2020 13:33

LOTD or even the badges stuff could be good to do. I would like to do them myself.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 07 Jul 2020 04:41

Badges are super fun!!