Boston Shred Crew, manly baby steps

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.

On a scale of 1-53 how much cooler is pete than kevin:

Very
No votes
You Dont Got The Stones
11%
You Dont Got The Stones
11%
I don't know either but suspect at least 74
No votes
quit your shuckin n jivin and stick to jimmin and jammin
17%
Im the best mang, I Deeed It
11%
48 1/3
22%
I dont know how to read
28%

Total votes: 18

slapdash21
Futureless

Re: Boston Shred Crew, The Sunday Sessions

Post by slapdash21 » 12 Sep 2012 13:02

surge-pixie butterfly symple rev swirling crossbody rake (i think i love that move as much for the stupid long name as i do the way it feels, which is grrreat)
spinning whirl-68 bops (one of my longest strings ever, def my longest guiltless string ever, decent form too...)

so check this. in the past year or 2 ive housed like half the east coast footbaggers. and nate linscott, kevin crowley hung out, and rob creel is staying this weekend. its funny because i was just starting to pull back a little bit from the sport as a whole and now i feel more like a beacon of footbag than i ever have. its funny how the sport kinda just doesnt let you go sometimes. talkin to kevin (while on acid for the first time EVER) he sounds more like hes moving into the footbag mindset i have (and that we both agreed is probably the best for never totally quitting), which is like a "play when i feel like, dont force myself to if i dont want to, focus on having fun, much less emphasis on bothsideness and form and drilling like a soldier, dont need to be the best in the world someday, keeping health in mind..." which is funny because im still getting a little better, hes definitely still getting noticably better... i do want him to be the best someday and it makes me proud to see him advancing in the sport and winning tournaments and representing the BSC and whatnot, but i think since weve become such good friends, his overall well being and success in life has definitely become more important. but footbag is still footbag is still footbag is still footbag...

pools a whole diff story. dont be surprised if you see me on ESPN 2 someday :twisted:
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 12 Sep 2012 13:36

Very bromantic post. :P

On the APA front, what are you ranked now? A 5?

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 13 Sep 2012 09:05

haha i think its cuz we tripped together and had some really heavy conversations and also other times where he looked like a chipmunk that did coke and was about to explode on the subway so i was pissin myself laughing.

yeah ive been a 5 for about 3-4 sessions now...beat a few 6s last season, usually played the best (or most "dangerous" based on their handicap and ability,..) player on the other team so i lost a couple matches i feel like i should have won. couple people on my team dropped out and screwed the rest of us, but its ok cuz we retooled everything this season and picked up 2 decent 3's and a 7 (most 7s dont deserve to be 7s, but its warrented in this case, definitely one of the absolute best shooters/strategists in the league of about 150 ppl, JUST got back from playing in the vegas tournament), so we have a full 8 person roster so we shouldnt have any issues with forfeits, or hopefully losing :twisted: monday was the first night of a 15 week season...we won 3-2 without playing one of our 5s or our 7 (put up 3, 4, 4, 3, then me as a 5) and the two guys that lost on our team shoulda definitely won also. so definitely not a bad start. i played a 5 and beat him on the hill-hill match but wasnt happy overall with how i played. got another break and run last friday night...i actually did it in 6 shots inlcuding the break and the 8 :twisted: been playing like everyday again lately....certainly everyday since last....wednesday? workin on shooting over balls/rails, 8 shots, defense mostly.
ken we should try to get a game in at east coasts! lookin forward to seein ya (and anyone else reading thatll be there too...) there!
i think ill kick after work today. should work on: long strings, bops, flip pixie, flip atomic, flip gyro.
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 18 Sep 2012 07:42

slapdash21 wrote: footbag is still footbag is still footbag is still footbag...
truer words were never typed. but like i was (trying) to explain to ya, be careful what you put on the internetz, its all out there....

i feel bad i missed the rob creel sesh but had to cover for a friend at work and I cant argue with 15 bones an hour on sundays..

also played like 7 times in 8 days but haven't even picked up the bag this week. school/work/a lady are suckin' up all my time but its all good. hopefully get in some sessions before east coasts, if i even go.

pete hit like sureal>100 bops or something. phat!
BSC!
Kevin Hogan

BSC

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 21 Sep 2012 09:56

yo i dont give a fuck im a locksmith not a....belly itcher...?

hit some new creative stuff:
zoid set torquescrew
gyro schmoeberger-run
merkon-pixie rev swirling xbody rake
pixie butterfly toe-stepping far legover-zoid butter-string (soopah smooth, no hesitation)

i played AWFUL with rob. then we played 2 square and he dove ankle first into a picnic table on the only game i had a lead in at any point. i smell a conspiracy.

so this beautiful girl i thought was jamaican (based on her looks and accent...) started working at the 7-11 down the block from my shop so i flirted with her everytime i went in there even tho the language barrier made it interesting...welp guess i did or said something right because i took her out to chinatown tuesday night and im taking her out to the red sox game tomorrow. turns out shes actually ethiopian, and only been in america a couple months 8O but shes wicked classy and quiet and nice, so everything my last 2 gfs were not (anyone thats met nina or jenn can vouch for that...).

now compliment her for my egos sake:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb ... =3&theater
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 21 Sep 2012 13:55

Your post wasn't offensive enough for a Bowler post. I had to change that

edit: looking back, it's probably too offensive
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 24 Sep 2012 09:11

:lol: not too offensive for me, definitely for some people tho :lol:

i really gotta watch what i say around this chick, she learns a little bit of english everyday

spinning pdx dlo-porque-33 bops
dimwalk rev swirl
some other stuff
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 24 Sep 2012 14:17

yea pete!

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 25 Sep 2012 07:54

the real highlight of the session was some drunk couple coming by in salem and the chick giving hogan a hilarious nickname....

i hit a nice string and passed him the bag and she goes "whadyuh gonna do now, curly sue?" :lol:
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

C8H10N4O2
Circle Kicker

Post by C8H10N4O2 » 26 Sep 2012 23:22

Sup BSC! First time on modified today since being in China. This place is nuts! I'm feelin like it's a bit unfortunate that I got my first introduction to an awesome community of footbaggers before having to peace out for a half year. Besides Larson and Oli, the vast majority of my haggie carreer has just been a personal relationship between me and the hack :D , just something I've done because I genuinely really enjoy playing. It was really sweet to meet some other folks who share my enthusiasm, and I'm blown away by what a cool crew it is.
As an honorary BSC member I should let you guys know that I'm representing the crew over here, pioneering shred in some of the coolest places in the world. This includes a brief shesh on the great wall and drawing a crowd of about 20 spectators around me in Beijing (the fact that i'm the only white guy out of every million chinese dudes seems to help the impact factor). Anyway, lookin forward to kickin with you guys again upon my return. Peace!

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 27 Sep 2012 13:27

awesome :twisted:

great to hear from ya, we'll def play some keepy uppy when you get back.

be safe, have fun!
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 01 Oct 2012 11:51

got back from east coasts pretty early last night, surpisingly. early like 10:45 at my house. so tired at work today but it was def worth it. might do another quiz game write up (cuz i did SUCH a good job last time!) but for now just free form:

-Fung Wah Bus is GARBAGE. its bad enough they rollover every few trips out there, this time 2 buses in a row simply didnt show. so me and hogan waited in south station from about 545-730 for no particular reason friday night, getting drunker than i meant to be before leaving boston....as usual
-bumped into Ollie and Larson at south station while we waited....there was about 40+ppl ahead of us in line and 100+ ppl behind us in line. with much patience and ignoring glares and shoulders/elbows we managed to pretend we were supposed to meet them all along and got them into the line behind us.
-730 a bus finally shows up. finally entrusted hogan with his ticket to hold onto...for the last couple steps towards the bus. ppl, grumbling about "they better not get on before ME," shove their way past ollie and larson as the bus loads up...
-hogan and i were 2 of the last 4 people to get on, ollie and larson get left behind, but at the front of the line, so we still did a good deed, tho they didnt make it on with us. glad for that, they coulda been there for a couple more hours otherwise...
-since we were the last few people on, no seats together so we cant watch boondocks on his laptop on the way there. i grabbed the seat next to a skinny, timid, nerdy white kid on a tablet, leaving hogan with the gigantic black woman whos loudly talking on the phone while drinking a mysterious purple liquid. cant blame her...
-took a couple benadryl, drank, listened to my ipod, twisted spliffs to pass the time...hogan passed the time by getting too fucked up, passing out, and losing his wallet before we even got off the bus. cant really blame him either. buses suck.
-20 blocks away from the bus station he realized he lost it. says he should go back. i say that makes no sense cuz its the damn fung wah and that bus is prob halfway back to boston already loaded with people. he called the "lost and found" a bunch of times, but it turns out they only pick up the phone once a day, and they only speak muffled chinese.

more later....
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 01 Oct 2012 12:51

also while in NY-

-didnt compete because they were asking for $50. im short on $ right now so thats a convenient excuse, but i dont think its right to ask for that much of footbaggers, even when theres prize money up for grabs. its just too damn much, especially for only circle and routines (i wouldnt do a routine at this point unless you PAID ME 50 bucks), and isnt in the youthful, broke ass spirit of the sport as i see it)
-didnt play any pool against ken, unfortunatly. he was being nice and acting like im godly compared to him, which i gurantee isnt true, and anything can happen in any given game, so his chances of winning would have been much better than he gave himself credit for. woulda been wicked fun tho regardless :twisted:
-also ken (and a couple other people, chris dean, pipebomb, etc) complimented my shred. that was really nice of them....getting respect from baggers of their caliber (and ken asking if i had hit some ridiculous huge move, eliciting a laugh and thank you from me) makes me feel good even if it isnt necessarily true. im not as good as i "should" be, i dont put in as much effort as any of them, but ive put in a good amount of time, effort, money, and knee cartilage into this sport so its nice to get feedback.
-stayed in harlem with ben little and elysia (sry if i misspelled it, i know thats close as least...)
-didnt hang out with bruce dole enough. :|
-saw the apollo theater
-played kikbo (shuttlecock) with the guy (damn cant remember his name....he was cool tho, and deserves the following plug:) whos taking that sport in a good direction, and makes a very good product (best ive ever used as far as control and fun), and is crazy sick with it, along with doug and a couple other guys for about an hour. SO much fun.
-smoked out on the front stoop (again, only cool cuz its harlem and ben little)
-slept on a futon thats prob more comfortable than my own at home
-saw some sights for once!
-paid tribute at "Ground Zero"...neither i nor hogan had EVER been, so it was important to me. were both really glad we did.
(quote of the night, me: "yeah...this is def a good tribute to my dead homies that i didnt know...amerukuh fuck yeah"
-drank in a playground in crooklyn at like 11 pm while hogan tried to get the timing down for whirring swirl, while waiting for boats to make it to big snow so we could hopefully get in for free instead of paying 7 bucks to sit in the corner of a basement
-did just that
-hahah hogan....well lets just say hogan was in rare form saturday night at the party and never QUITE made it back to ben littles
-GOT RECOGNIZED BY PIPENBERG. best feeling all weekend. good talking with him especially sat night at big snow. hes def got his footbag head screwed on his shoulders right, if nothing else, and is mad cool
-took the train home from brooklyn to harlem at like 3 AM with ben little. i zonked out, he graded papers 8O :lol: ...got in at like 4 am.
-yo toolans the man. im really starting to dig his non-competitive footbag ways. i suck at competing at footbag. might as well have fun since i paid to get there and competition always messes up my timing as far as warming up and cooling down for the day.
-rain shred sunday for a bit, then it stopped. watched circle finals, said our peace outs, and headed out.
-smoked a spliff STANDING IN LINE with like 150 other people around us on a sidewalk in chinatown, with 2 NYPD cruisers parked directly across the street, waiting for the fung wah
-on the bus at about 6 pm, got a seat next to m'boy, had some EXCELLENT footbag (gurl) talk, got into boston around 10:15 amazingly.
-thanks to everyone that showed up. running an event can be tough, but honestly even just showing up can often be a big sacrifice as i learned this weekend (and this week, in which i'll have about 20 bucks for food and could get my cell phone turned off...) especially the newbs/yung bloodz. im a hypocrite cuz im more guilty of this than anyone, tho its partially because im not good at approaching people i dont know in a typical friendly way, but people STILL dont show newbs enough love, or mix circles evenly, etc. not pointing fingers, it isnt easy, but we were all there once.
-thanks to ppl running it, boats is my dude, love loose bruce the goose, good job matt cross, schneiders a legend (and is STILL making finals circle), etc to whoever i forgot, and most importantly the people supporting them in the "background" doing all the thankless tasks. mikey, the emcees, etc.

and im spent.
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 02 Oct 2012 12:33

oh and i hit gyro legoverberger, merkonberger, my first midstring whirlwind ever (first out of osis too, tho it was easier than from clipper has ever been) and a few other random shits
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 18 Oct 2012 12:38

so friends of mine that dont even play footy are asking for me to tell them next time i go to NYC for a jam so they can come with because of the crazy stories ive told of our misdeeds. :lol: :twisted:

dont remember any footbag highlights from the past 2 weeks really....some ok strings, solid links, 1 really good session with kevin "curly-sue" hogan by the TD garden that nothing really sticks out from.

pretty solid pool overall....beat another 6 handicap 4-2 games.

trying really hard to cut back on smoking...so hard.... anyone with any creative different ideas for cutting back or quitting reefuh lemme know...
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 18 Oct 2012 13:04

slapdash21 wrote:trying really hard to cut back on smoking...so hard.... anyone with any creative different ideas for cutting back or quitting reefuh lemme know...
The self-help section of your local library probably has some books/DVDs which might have some good info. Unless your library is super old, in which case their materials might be outdated.

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 19 Oct 2012 06:56

haha i had a feeling i knew what that was before i clicked it. i have that on dvd on my shelf at home :mrgreen:
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 24 Nov 2012 11:52

whirling ss torque

i cant really play at all right now aside from like 20 minutes at a time because of a hilariously embaressingly affliction im having surgically removed asap....prob mid december. wont be able to shred for 2-4 weeks after, but once im healed ill be like a new man....
its been affecting me for awhile. starting to really piss me off, not just because of footbag, but especially that in ways.

bsc
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 26 Dec 2012 16:53

FINALLY got that thing taken care of! it was a giant fluid filled sac in my sack that was baseball sized and still slowly growing... now i have a nice 4-5 inch scar that goes horizontally halfway around my scrotum, but its a lot better than trying to shred, sleep, and etc with a gigantic (just on one side....) sack. got it done 2 weeks ago, should be able to shred full on by this weekend. tons and tons going on right now, dont have time for all of it so heres a quick rundown:

both my apa and usapl pool teams are in playoffs. if we do well and make it a few more rounds (which will take a month or more...) then we'll be getting sponsored to CT and Vegas to play in big money tournaments.

did a lockout for a family members friend in which i drilled a half inch hole in my left index finger hitting an artery, bright red blood practically squirting out of me...while were still locked out and im the one thats supposed to be getting us in....wrapped it up in my t shirt and finished the job 1 handed, didnt go to the hospital, think itll be fine

did a lock out at work that the cops (as in it was myself and a cop in the hallway, me picking the knob and deadbolt) requested we do because some lady didnt show up for work for a week after thanksgiving...turns out she was dead, face down on the floor 5 feet inside the door, with pill bottles all over the room around her and a plastic bag over her head. i had to stay and change the locks while the medical examiners did inventory and put her body in the bag...pretty rough.

wanted to get that out cuz its a helluva story. but anyway.

good christmas with the family....everything is good overall. hope the best for you and yours in the new year

-pb
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 28 Dec 2012 11:14

HEY BRU!

There's something quite fantastic about coming back to the modifieds after a looooooong holiday and finding Pete Bowler's blog right near the top and Ken Somolinos as a recent respondent.

So, that's balls about your balls, and messed up about the dead lady! In a counter intuitive sense though, almost makes me happy to hear you talk about newbs being ignored and $50 entrance fees (as absurd as both those facts are) in USA land. Obviously I'm pretty disconnected from the footbag world these days; my only recent connection has been Aus Champs, which was woefully small :( It's nice to log in and find that the scene is actually kicking along somewhere haha (mind the pun).

So I've been kicking a little bit lately, returning to my old drill-serving ways. This is making me very happy but its early days; the last X number of times I restarted my blog it barely lasted more than a week :roll: so I'm not going that far yet.

Nice to read your words and touch base again mate... will check in again soon. Peace!!

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge