Audio, then footbag.

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
qphox
Bullshit Detector

Audio, then footbag.

Post by qphox » 24 Nov 2007 00:09

Things are looking up, and I'm feeling as if my life is poised for some serious amelioration. That's a sweet word, by the way.

---

I'm looking to be moving to Vancouver next fall to take a course in Audio Engineering. It's a fantastic school, and I'm super excited about it...but it's also twenty grand for a one year course. I was working at both Red Robin and Moxie's Classic Grill for about 9 months, and I'd been working a LOT to save up, but unfortunately I was fired at Red Robin for having a drink with a friend while closing bar. It was about 30 minutes to close, with no tables to take care of...I was basically just cleaning up and closing down. It was a huge over-reaction, and there's a ton of hypocrisy involved that I don't really want to get into, but I'm not letting it get me down too much. I'm still making really good money at Moxie's, and I will be looking into getting a second job at the YMCA! I'm certain that a non-service 2nd job will be a good thing for me. :)

I played footbag this week! Due to a very stubborn ankle injury, I haven't played since Worlds. (I don't know if any of you remember...but I could put literally no weight on my right ankle. I crumpled to the ground mid-mirage-demonstration.) It's very frustrating to be missing mirage, and to be starting from scratch with many other previously learned concepts...but really, I'm elated to be playing at all. I'm still not at full health (hip is still weak, ankle is still sore), but I feel like I'm definitely making headway! It's nice to again hit stuff like dbpickup b2b, and dimwalk > dblpickup > rpt, and assassin > pix duck leg > rpt, symp dlo...chainsaw massacre tonight too. :)

Unfortunately I need to stay away from right-leg symp, dlo, egg, flip atomic, flip quantum, flip stepping...but that just means my osis is going to get a WORKOUT. :D WOO.

I've been juggling like crazy lately, putting in at least 30 minutes daily into 5ball cascade. Tonight, I managed to increase my record from 215 catches up to 352 catches. I also linked about 30 catches cascade into 30 catches half cascade, and then back into cascade for at least 50 more. :D Gotta say, after 150+ hours of practice, it feels really good when the balls go where I want them to.

For those of you with Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=6021778395

ALSO, I'm still actively working on my finnish vocabulary. I haven't quite gotten to verbs yet, and my grammar knowledge is non-existant, but I figure I know about 500 words now! I'm hoping to spend some time with the Finnish guys next year before Worlds in Praha, and apparently Anssi's mother's english skills are "ashaming"...so I guess it's all up to me! :D

I've already been making tons of flashcards to help me along, but I think I might make some audio aids too...load them into my iRiver to listen to in transit to and from work...

"North ... pohjoinen"
"Pink ... vaaleanpunainen"
"Calm ... rauhallinen"
"December ... joulukuu"
"Fuck ... vittu" :P

Oh, I just thought right now that I could have them all separate sound files, and then I could listen to them on shuffle! That'd be slick! I've heard it's effective to learn the same material in a number of different ways, visually, orally, etc...so why not? :D

Despite the obscurity of the language itself, I'm *really* enjoying learning it. Also, I figure I'll be in the footbag scene for a long time yet, and so will Finland, so a time will always come around where I'll be able to use it. :)

There's some funny occurences too, if translated directly:

yö = night
keskiyö = midnight
viikko = week
keskiviikko = wednesday (midweek?)

Also, vaaleanpunainen essentially means "light red". I guess it's a pretty literal language.

Alright! Time to capture more footage for the joulukalenteri. :)

I don't remember who requested it, but sorry, I'm not going to be able to throw any toe-godly in any video just yet. :D

Smile!
Last edited by qphox on 05 Nov 2010 19:14, edited 4 times in total.
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 24 Nov 2007 01:23

thats what she said

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 24 Nov 2007 01:24

double post ftw

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 24 Nov 2007 06:37

Great!
I love all of the personal stuff :)
It makes me want to feel more groovy about writing non-footbag stuff in my blog. Did you try the bag I made you? Is it any good? I liked hanging out with you for the, like, hour at the airport that one day. You're really open and direct -- I like it.

Oh yeah, gee. I asked my brother about those sound fonts last night.. umm. Ha, but I forget what he said. Hm. I'll ask again on MSN later.

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 24 Nov 2007 08:14

You're Grrreat!

You know there's less sugar added in the same brand cereals in the UK as opposed to the US.

The more you know :: stars and rainbow ::

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 26 Nov 2007 13:45

I just sealed 500 catches 5ball cascade. :D

500! DAMN that feels good!

That's funny. When I told Byrin I upped my record from 215 to 352, he joked, "Well, I guess the next step is 500."

ACCURATE :D
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 02 Dec 2007 23:15

58 catches 3 ball cascade: eyes closed. That was kinda crazy...I've never tried it before, and my record before 58 was ~17. Weird?

I've got too much going on right now.

I'm mid-transcription of some show tunes for my brother...I'm mid-edit of the Hackrifice '07 video...I'm mid-mashup of Modjo vs. Bob Sinclair...I'm mid-acquisition of a 2nd job at the YMCA...I'm mid-recovery from this freaking ankle, for which I am ready to go find a 2nd opinion on...

Man, I want to be able to school something other than spinning, osis and ducking clippers. No offense Erik. :)
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 02 Dec 2007 23:32

whats a half cascade?

ps. i liked talking to you for the minute we talked at worlds. your sarcasm threw me off for a second... but i then figured out you were being silly.
pps. you're a wonderful 4square "bumper guard".
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 03 Dec 2007 00:29

qphox wrote:I'm mid-edit of the Hackrifice '07 video...I'm mid-mashup of Modjo vs. Bob Sinclair
sweet on both counts!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uda38FF9 ... re=related
not much of a mash, but if that's the direction you're taking it i'm down!!!
A.G.

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 03 Dec 2007 01:57

dude kevin youre good at so much stuff that I'm into!! You are an inspiration sir!!

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 03 Dec 2007 06:35

Damn Reggie, 500!!!! That's fucking amazing. You're almost a REAL juggler now :wink: That's lame you got fired. It's no matter though, nothing can hold you down man. I'm stroked to hear you're attending the school you were talking about a while ago. You are pretty good with music.

Speaking of music, I've decided to become serious with my piano/keyboard. Any tips to practicing efficiently, proper form/technique, beginner/intermediate pieces, etc. You said you took lessons for seven years, so I figure you would have some decent advice to give a noob.
James Randall

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 08 Dec 2007 18:36

Well, this past friday, I put a little more time into juggling with my eyes closed.

I managed to bring my record of 58 up to 210.

Bizarre?

Yea.
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 08 Dec 2007 19:47

qphox wrote:Man, I want to be able to school something other than spinning, osis and ducking clippers. No offense Erik. :)
You hurt me.

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 09 Dec 2007 07:24

It's now 8:23am...I just got home...I work in 2 hours.

Last night, I tried shrooms for the first time.

My 2 hour trip was the worst experience of my life thus far.

That won't be happening again soon.
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

ObArA'BaRs
Flower Child

Post by ObArA'BaRs » 09 Dec 2007 10:06

how many did ya eat and what made you feel uncomfortable?
Im 20
JSACK wrote: wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

Keep footbag'n till yo skins saggin.......

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 09 Dec 2007 10:46

Oh Regs... You so crazy!

Congrats on all of the jugglinlg hilights! Eyes Closed? 500 5-ball? Phat Beats?

Regamy is the man!

p.s. never let him look at your credit card. He is really really good with numbers as well as everything else under the sun

Can't wait to see the canadian brotherhood again!
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 10 Dec 2007 12:06

So, 4:15am about 1.75 hours after taking them in the first place, I had to use the washroom. I hadn't felt any effects at all yet, and I was pretty much sobered up too (I'd drank earlier in the night, but had stopped around midnight since I knew I was working the next day. Yes, I know, don't do it if you work the next day. Mistake #1, lesson learned, thank you.). As soon as I got to the door of the washroom, I felt super nauseous, and went from zero to HIGH OFF MY ASS in about 5 seconds. I've heard that you should not be alone on mushrooms, so I guess it was just bad luck that I happened to be when they hit. My friends were in the other room, and didn't even know I was going to be in pretty rough shape soon.

My vision became really distorted at first. I suppose I could describe it as tunnel vision, but with everything around the unaffected circle being darkened, and kind of...crawling? Then I threw up. Pretty violently, actually. I vividly remember throwing up, then dry heaving for a bit, then getting into the exhausted, recovery period stage, and then repeating that process over and over for what seemed like 2, maybe 3 hours. I finally finished that, and sat back against the sink cabinet, sweating and just absolutely drained. I was feeling kind of...more myself again, my vision was back to normal, and I thought, "Okay, they must have noticed I've been gone for awhile." I looked at my watch to find out just how long I'd been in there, to find it was 4:17am. It had only been TWO MINUTES. TWO. My eyes widened in confusion, I became very disoriented, and suddenly very afraid.

Only then did I notice that the fisherman figurine on the back of the toilet was staring at me. He was planning something, and was just waiting for the right moment to make his move. Feeling very small, I looked back at him nervously, and I pushed myself hard into the corner. I didn't know what he was intending to do, and I wasn't sure I'd be able to...survive it?...but I thought, if I'm looking at him I will have a better chance of counteracting his maneouvre. Over time, I only became more terrified, and I stared into the two painted eyes of this fisherman for what was about 12 minutes. (I know this account of time is accurate. After I discovered I'd only been in there 2 minutes, I checked my watch frequently to keep some kind of foothold in reality.) Eventually I was able to gain the courage to turn it around so it was facing the wall...but then I could feel he was angry with me. I could literally *feel* this thing's rage.

After that, my memory is kind of dodgy. I texted my buddy Jared in Ottawa a few times during my stay in the washroom, and they're still in my phone...at one point I intended to tell him "Bro I am freaking terrified." but the T-9 predictive text whatnot on my phone actually chose the word "freakhog" instead. I was really out of it, and in my confusion I pressed the wrong button, sending the message as "Bro I am freakhog".

THEN I was all worried like, "omg, I just told Jared I am a freakhog. wtf is that. I'm not one! What if he thinks I am?!"

So the next text I sent read, "Dude I am not a freakhog. I'm not. I don't even know what the fuck is up right now."

I laugh about it now, but holy crap that text situation was scary to me. But seriously, why the hell is the word "freakhog" in my phone?

This girl Randy found me eventually and sat me down in the corner of the kitchen, opposite the entrance. My friends walked in, obviously worried, and asked how I was doing. I said, "Hey, guys, I know that in reality you're something like 12 feet away from me...but can you just do me a favour and step back a bit? I feel silly even asking that, but I would really appreciate it." They were like, "Sure no problem!" :D It actually felt like they were speaking to me within inches of my face.

I gradually regained my faculties after that, and we watched 300. I seem to recall everything in the movie appearing much more vibrant...or powerful? Idk, pretty soon everyone went to bed, but I decided to go home...otherwise, there's *no chance* I'd make it to work the next day. I got home at about 8:20am, showered, and left for work. I got there almost 2 hours early, and ended up having to work an 11 hour serving shift...having not slept yet. I thought I only worked for the lunch rush but apparently not! Hooray!

I kept hearing loud tapping noises right next to my head all day, and once in awhile I would hear my name being called by people who weren't actually there.

That is not going to be happening again any time soon.

edit: Oh, sorry Chris. Only 2g.
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 10 Dec 2007 12:48

damn those must have been pretty dank 8O

i had fairly similar experiences after chewing a whole slice my first time.
in fact, very similar. boomers are definitely a hit or miss kind of thing. and yeah it all depends on your environment and mentality going into it.

i wont lie, the freakhog part made me laugh a lot :P

the time-lapse differential is definitely the most noticable part for me. i've never felt like i did so much (of course all useless random things) in like 5 minutes.
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 10 Dec 2007 14:07

I laughed out loud while reading that. I'm sorry you had such a bad bad night (and day of work afterwards), but that was an awesome telling of a story.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 10 Dec 2007 17:04

qphox wrote: Yes, I know, don't do it if you work the next day. Mistake #1, lesson learned, thank you.)[/i]... I've heard that you should not be alone on mushrooms, so I guess it was just bad luck that I happened to be when they hit.
That's one thing that's fun about working in the library. lol

It depends on your comfort level. I've done it completely by myself over a dozen times, and as long as you realize that you're gonna be okay, things work out. and also, surround yourself with things you enjoy: electronic music is like my pacifier when I'm fried... and cleaning for some reason
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley