greg raymond

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 18 Aug 2010 06:54

Worlds 2010: Home of the Metro.

This crepe joint became the freestyler's capital every morning by the end of the week. Dante, Mat & I found this place on the first day walking around, & every day we would successively bring more & more players there every morning. Knocking on doors, picking up players in the hotel lobby as we pass through--the owners of the Metro came to recognize us very well by the end of the week. I think the last day we must have had 20 or so of us there at the same time, enough people at least that we couldn't all fit inside at once, so we filled the patio tables surrounding the area. The crepes were unbelievably tasty, stuffed to overflowing with all manner of things delicious. Eg. The Palo Alto breakfast crepe was stuffed with eggs scrambled & folded, salmon, capers, cream cheese & thick wedges of avocado. MY GOD I WANT ONE RIGHT NOW.

No footbag last night, my legs really needed a rest. Still did rest of workout, just went easy on the legs. Got a fresh bottle of Bone Basics & I'm already feeling stronger this morning. My morning 10k bike ride went smoothly today, much better than yesterday.

Tonight I will check out this really cool place in Kingston called the Musical Lending Library, where you can check out musical instruments just like checking out a book. Hopefully I will have a new ax to grind this evening.

I would also like to busk some more. I am getting a better feeling for when to throw down & when to keep it relaxed. When people are further away, there is no reason to waste energy on busting huge. What draws people into coming closer is just the fact that "whoa, he hasn't dropped it yet". Once the "marks" :P get closer, busting a more complicated string really pays off because they are close enough to have a better idea of what the heck is going on down there.
greg raymond, kingston

FB: Rocker Holliday

"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know." - Jack Handey

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 24 Aug 2010 09:53

i'm so happy i can continue to have daily 1.5 hour sessions @ 29, & also still feel like i'm making tangible progress. i think i'm in the best shape of my life. being able to play for 7 hours a day on multiple occasions in Oakland solidified that for me.

highlights from last night:

symple swirls bsos x 2 first try
swirl > rev swirl bsos a bunch
spinning whirl bsos a bunch
double switch > drifter bsos
blender > stepping near clip bsos
footed gangsta again
spender > spinning clipper
whirl > gyro whirl rpt x 2
lots of ripwalks ( not consecutive, just stepping whenever i possibly can. i should work on consecutives tonight )
lots of drifters ( same as stepping )
40ish contact ducking variant string first try
long whip strings
whip > drifter rpt > whirl > drifter rpt x 5
100 infinities
my shuffle sucks. i think maybe 5 contacts of shuffle was my highest in a string last night. worked on blurs a bit, that will help transition things a bit better, i hope.

crank is a blessing & a curse. i am trying to let my crank go a bit in order to solidify bag positioning. many tricks are too far behind my body b/c my ankle will do frigidosis-like movements at any angle, so i have to be very patient so as to not slur the set.

more to come tonight. tomorrow is a KICKASS organizational day, should hopefully have some new details to share.
greg raymond, kingston

"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know." - Jack Handey

JeffOverbo
Multidex Master

Post by JeffOverbo » 24 Aug 2010 12:43

Good to meet you Greg. Keep up the hard work
Hi.

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 24 Aug 2010 17:45

spender>spinning clipper?! Awesome! Lots of great stuff Greg, you'l get gansta anyday for sure. How are you treating our quantums? :P

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 30 Aug 2010 16:43

thanks jeff, it was good to meet you too. come to KICKASS, you can avenge yourself against dante's blanka! probably with force powers.

dante, these quantums are perfect atm. prime of their life!

i realized after watching the video that i made yesterday, that i was happy with the style but i wasn't pushing my difficulty to what i think i am capable of.

today i tried better links, here is the result--accompanied by the pulp fiction soundtrack.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiw8PAHy-AY[/youtube]
greg raymond, kingston

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 30 Aug 2010 16:56

Holy cow gregs! You are on fire :).
The stepping sets and the drifter are some really good addition to your game! They look much better then at worlds. Props!
You are plyaing really well!
Mat

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 30 Aug 2010 17:16

Way to add in motion to your strings! Also really liked those down swirls! Man we are gonna shred our faces off when I get back to K-town (t-minus.... Friday at 2:30pm!)

As for the quantums, that's awesome glad you like 'em. I'm currently modding my mesh lavers for impending use... my quantums are falling apart :(

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 31 Aug 2010 08:53

thanks, fizellas!

i felt really good about that session. but i think i can push harder!

i am liking this daily reflection on the previous day's footage. it helps to direct growth in a much more focused fashion.
greg raymond, kingston

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 01 Sep 2010 14:51

blurry whirl bsos, footed a 3rd

& out of nowhere,

flux bsos ( set from toe )
greg raymond, kingston

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 01 Sep 2010 21:04

abstract wrote:flux bsos ( set from toe )
I expect you to do this at our Friday session Mr. Raymond!

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 10 Sep 2010 04:41

last night at the arc was a really good session.

we started by taking a tour of various rooms to find something proper for KICKASS. we tried the studios but the floors turned out to be mega-slippery. i asked about removing the combatives flooring & she said that wouldn't be very likely, but then she showed us a room that used to be used for spin class.

grippy, tile floors.
room for 4 circles, maybe more.
sound system with projector.

it's gold, jerry. gold!

highlights of session:

late string tomahawk > pdx blender followed shortly by spender
diving whirl & gyro whirl bsos
pheonix > pdx drifter, gyro blender same string

flip stepping still a pain, but it's getting better.
drifters are ON. pdx drifters getting much easier to throw in strings.

long strings all night, 25 - 40 contacts.

notes to self:

release the hardness from behind your eyes
inhale through nose & mouth, teeth in the "shhh" position
be patient
greg raymond, kingston

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 29 Sep 2010 14:32

kickass was killer. it was a phenomenal experience for me, as i hope it was for others in attendance.

throwing this event in the first place required personal growth on my part. i am an excessively shy person, & that might also be an understatement. social awkwardness has always come naturally to me. i could get into the how & why but it doesn't really matter. what matters, is that this has been a good year for growth.

california happened at a critical time & i am very grateful for the opportunity to have experienced what worlds had to offer. something just 'clicked' about the whole footbag scene there, & that convention hall felt more like home than the room i am typing from now.

i left california with a wish to start giving something back to the community that has given me so much. footbag is a central pillar of my life from which exudes confidence, health, strength, willpower & spirit. it gives me a sense of responsibility to help support & nurture the growth of this culture, because there is real value & unique creative expression throughout & it brings all practitioners of the game together.

it's amazing how a footbag jam almost becomes a lifeform straight from its inception. when i made the forum post for K3, the jam was given life. the energy that created it though, was not mine. i only created a vessel for the energy of everybody else who chose to give.

as the weeks passed by, the details seemed almost inconsequential, not in that it was not important to have the event laid out in detail, but rather that the details took care of themselves so fluidly just through the positive energy at work.

one of my roommates, the now illustriously monikered DJ Kla$$, was interested in DJing right when i first told him about it. we also live in a 4 bedroom house & one of my other mates was on tour promoting his new album ( PS I Love You ), so the house was perfect for hosting visitors & partying.

the new Queen's Art & Recreation Centre was a natural choice for venue due to being a brand new facility & also being about 4 blocks from my house. it was pricey, but i'm still confident we can get Queens on the hook for the bill.

Queens Homecoming was a wild card. when preparing for the event, we just knew that was happening saturday night but didn't really know what it meant, as the police had been increasingly diligent in shutting it down year by year. could be cool, could be a bust. shrug, we'll see.

the entire weekend was just a blast. everyone that came was so cool, i really felt comfortable talking with people, drinking & following hostly pursuits. thanks to mtl crew, fat crew, tom & marnie & k-town crew for making K3 what it was.

friday night was hilarious. Kla$$ was spinning records all night, we had BBQ going & blew through nearly three 24s like it was nothing. shenanigans probably went until almost 5am! drunken philosophical debates, slacklining, dancing & general frivolity at its finest.

saturday morning was the first little stumbling block, in that i couldn't get everybody into the same place for breakfast. next time i will make a large reservation. in the case of the wolfe island bakery, i would have booked the entire place. dante ended up taking a crew to the Queens Cafeteria while i had a group at WIB.

we didn't get to the event centre until about 1.30pm. that's when he hit the 2nd little speed bump--the ventilation in the upper gym we had rented was broken. as a result, it was quite warm. once players were all warmed up though, it didn't impact us too much--it just accelerated the natural process of turning shred central into a sweat lodge.

once we had turntables / sound system hooked up, we organized 3 pools for circle competition while casual shred was going on. judging was kind of difficult to organize but we ended up with a consistent panel for all 3 pools.

erik chan dominated! he was hitting huge stuff in casual shred all day as well. reverse montages all over the place, & i think i recall a gyro diving whirl or rev whirl midstring that was super dope.

post-shred, we all went out to a new poutinery that had just opened up in kingston. it was super crazy. their menu was huge! i was shocked. i had the 'bacon cheeseburger', which was bacon, ground beef, onions, philly cheese sauce, curds, gravy & fries. marnie had a chicken curry poutine, which i tried & it was amazing. they had a full vegetarian menu as well. so good.

saturday night was very similar to friday night, except there were more people & it ended earlier, making the experience overall quite intense. BANANAGRAMS! haha, that game is crazy.

a few of us went out for a few minutes to check out the Queens Homecoming. there were so many people outside on saturday night! the air was charged with human energy.

however, the closer we got to the supposed location of the party, the more & more police we encountered. rows of mounted police with police buses they brought in from toronto to block the streets. they pretty much crushed the party this year. i heard today that the police spent $400,000 to put the nail in the coffin.

we all lost track of each other while out in the throngs of people & we ended up trickling back to my house in 1s & 2s to finish off the evening there.

next post--sunday.
greg raymond, kingston

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 29 Sep 2010 16:58

sept 28 blog vid:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92L8k2a2haU[/youtube]

the first clip is just some gyro clippers, but i think i figured something out tonight that will help them get better, which is to keep my arms at my side, inside the path of the footbag.

i didn't like my form in this vid. i didn't do core exercises before that session, or really all weekend, which may be playing into losing form this week.
greg raymond, kingston

Lackey82
Fearless

Post by Lackey82 » 02 Oct 2010 15:34

Greg, I really enjoyed the video, and hanging with you at KICKASS3.

You are a gracious host and everyone at FAT was stoked and really enjoyed themselves, so thank you.

I like your style. It's pleasingly smooth, and the Blender tricks are sweet.

Let's make plans for a FAT/KFM winter shred in one of our two cities?
Joshua Lackey
"Class is what I do during my Footbag breaks"
Challenge me! Toronto/FAT Footblog

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 03 Oct 2010 00:05

Thanks so much for the weekend greg!!! A sweet jam, some good partying, and a couch for me to sleep on,,,,what more could i ask for?

KICKASS 3 was a resounding success. :D
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 18 Oct 2010 12:51

thx fellas ) we will shred again soon!

today begins the asea test. i will play 8 sessions over the next 14 days, with a consistent diet & schedule.

i have slacked off a bit since kickass. :oops:

weight: 177

daily:

diet: fibre cereal, eggs, broccoli
supplement: bone basics, citrus bioflavonoids

train:

3 oz of Asea before training, 1 oz of Asea after training.

training times will be based upon personal endurance.

edit: if wondering what Asea is, www.teamasea.com
greg raymond, kingston

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 19 Oct 2010 04:39

interesting session. too early to say anything definitive.

session inspired by tuomas riisalo ( sp? )

movements made more sense yesterday, in general. noticed more acute awareness during strings & a stronger dedication to attacking a concept for a prolonged period of time.

tightness in shoulders was reduced, noticed other small irregularities in performance ironed out a bit ( form & consistency of push ups, leg lifts, stretches ).

training time: 1.5 hours

post-session weight: 174

weight this morning: 171

my body feels fairly strong today. i played saturday, sunday & monday, with plans for playing both tuesday & wednesday as well. running that footbag gauntlet should be a good test for endurance & recovery.
greg raymond, kingston

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 19 Oct 2010 12:12

pre-session weight: 174.

watching http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.ph ... ght=heroes to get pumped up. one of my all time favourite videos.
greg raymond, kingston

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 19 Oct 2010 14:21

post-session weight: 170.5

training time: 1 hour.

able to attempt challenging moves, links, combos deeper into the session.

illusions felt great today. i hit quantum down bsos like butter. quantum set has never felt as good as it did today. worked legbeater bsos into shuffle. open set feeling stronger. torques feeling waaay stronger. shut set also feeling good.

hit a string that started with shut mirage > open far whirl > spinning whirl that also had pdx drifter & gyro whirl.

stepping felt great today.

on the bike ride home, i felt like i had 100% power, but my knees were definitely sore.
greg raymond, kingston

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 20 Oct 2010 16:14

pre-session: 173

post-session: 170

will experiment with daily schedule to reduce fluctuation.

felt stronger deeper into the session.

worked on far illusion > paradon rpt & lots of stepping. want to hit far illusion > paradon > stepping near clip rpt.

shuffle improving. torques improving.

hit open near osis > weaving switch rpt, which felt cool. open near osis > weaving switch > double over down felt good too.

open set getting much stronger. hit quantum down > blender bs. lots of open / stepping shuffle, not long, 10ish contacts, which is usually very hard for me.
greg raymond, kingston