Dr. Bear, The US champion!

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: Dr. Bear, The US champion!

Post by C-Fan » 09 Jan 2015 17:22

Thanks for the write up, Dr. Bear

Allan

Post by Allan » 09 Jan 2015 18:54

brianbear wrote:Got some xrays when i got back and no broken bones. It is a grade 3 sprain, which is pretty severe, but I haven't felt much if any pain.
That's awesome that you're not feeling a lot of pain. You're very lucky :) Some sprains can actually hurt much more than breaks. I sprained my ankles a lot back when I was skateboarding, and it was some of the worst pain I've ever experienced. In contrast, when I fractured my arms a few years ago, it basically didn't hurt all that much at all.

Get well soon!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 14 Jan 2015 20:28

Just read about the ankle. Glad you're off crutches now. Injuries suck. I've been nursing a minor knee injury. Hope you're back in your Units again soon.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 15 Jan 2015 06:07

Dude grade 3 sprain...My ankle has not been the same since (or it could be because of the 6 times I've sprained it before). If I recall correctly, the ligament tears some bone with it in a grade 3. I never went to physical therapy though which was my mistake. Though I had no money for it. Good luck dude and speedy recovery!

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 15 Jan 2015 09:54

ken, nice top post pic very appropriate for my situation. Oooh, another highlight from NYJ:
Mirage race sprint style. You made me think of it with your advanced mirage race skills. It was only a half of a basketball court and if you dropped you had to go back to the start, making for some interesting strategy! Zac asked me to do demo and i did it in like 5 mirages it was pretty funny. We did two heats of qualifiers to get down to 6 competitors, I ended up winning with Evan just a hair behind me.

allan, my tolerance for pain is really quite high, so maybe that has something to do with it... or the weed is really doing wonders ;) thanks, i'll try to heal up soon!

@nick, yeah the crutches may have been slightly early, as I had to use them a bit yesterday and plan on using them whenever pain flares up too much. I miss my units, but not nearly as much as i suspected. I mainly miss riding my bike and rollerblading considering I don't have a car it has been a pain to get anywhere.

@chris
yeah, exactly! a tiny little piece of bone got ripped off and is just floating around in there, and will just stay in there and be absorbed. i am still unsure if there were full tears or just partial tears.
same thing happened to my hip (little bone ripped off) in high school and that took a couple months of intense physical therapy to recover. but after physical therapy i felt stronger than ever.
I am broke as well and have no health insurance (i am 28 so my parents insurance stopped a couple years go for me)(also in the process of getting obamacare), but so far everything (dr appt and xrays) has been free thanks to this awesome service called rotacare in mountain view. no mri yet, and I am working out a deal with a good friend who is a physical therapist, hoping for the best!

Extra NYJ highlights:
- The Grand Slamwich (this may have been the hardest I laughed all weekend as I was in tears but I can't elaborate on it too much as it was a secret)
- New Year's Eve: Anton, Jordan, Cass, Derek, Nick... legendary night, we rocked that venue harrrd it was an amazing show with amazing people, will be remembered for a long while :)
- Whirlyball: Pipenberg and I were recruited to team Canada because we had the longest arms and cause we are cool ;) we ended up beating everyone except once against a Zac (whirlyball master) team where we only lost 8-6. Whirlyball rocks. And the venue for it was outta control, with super comfortable sofas, an open bar, and space to shred!
- Dabs dabs dabs dabs, it had been too long and i am back on the dab hype now :)
- Staying with Anton for a week was way too much fun! He and Jordan really know how to host and having Cass there for almost the whole week too was a nice bonus :)
- Footbag highlights:
gangster party -> hand catch -> gangster party -> handcatch
spinning miraging pickup
a super good mobius sickness (gyro miraging symple motion)
double spinning osis -> gyro grifter (combo i hit from 2012 worlds)
a single good dropped step duck, gonna remember this when i get back
a juicy belly button high jani walker
marius->spender->marius
and a nice longer combo i have been working on: whirl -> grifter rpt -> rev whirl -> drifter rpt (i would like to add swirl and rev swirl in there.
- more highlights to come :)
Last edited by brianbear on 16 Jan 2015 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 15 Jan 2015 12:08

I witnessed the Whirl grifter whip drifter double drill and must say that it was one of the nicest combos / strings I saw all weekend. Get well soon dude.

This post is dedicated to starving children in Africa
Nick Polini

Funblog

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 09 Feb 2015 17:42

It's been 5 weeks since I played footbag. It's been a 3 weeks since I smoked ganja. Those were pretty much the only things I did for the past 5+ years. Let's just say the change has been vast and pretty awesome. I will be starting physical therapy soon and really hope my passion for footbag remains without blazing.... I only played high my whole footbag career! Planning on going to Vegas jam to see good friends though I likely won't be shredding much and definitely not hard yet.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 09 Feb 2015 18:14

Good job on giving up marijuana. I used to smoke every day after highschool, then often in college, but quit around senior year. I noticed that I was able to think so much more clearly without it. When I was smoking, there was always a Foggy Haze in my head, which made it hard/frustrating to communicate with deep thoughts to others. Now that I haven't smoked in a while, I feel so good about life and everything. I think you'll start to notice that life is just as dope without dope. Wow, I sound like fucking Care Bear... But, seriously, even though it may take a bit, you'll realize just how awesome life can still be without weed.

Hope you have a full recovery and that you can get right back into footbag where you left off. I do hope that footbag passion stays with you, even without weed. But if worst comes to worst, I think it's important to see how far you've come in footbag, and know that you're an incredible person who can master these very difficult movements.. and since you have put your all into footbag, you can choose almost anything in the world and get just as good or better at that. As long as you believe in yourself, like you do in footbag, you can do some pretty incredible things with life.

Also, if you have any problems with your new life change, talk to Allan Haggett. He just recently made the same big life change, after smoking for most of his life, too. Might help to talk to someone who is in the same boat as you.

Best regards, brah.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 09 Feb 2015 19:54

Dabs will do that to ya! Ha. Your burn for footbag better still be there without the fire( :wink: ), I need my footbag sensei. Glad the PT is going to be starting up, and hope the healing/strengthening goes quickly. Been meaning to ask about Vegas Jam, and how you were gettin' there. Definitely down to carpool, will even try and learn stick, again, if need be. Hope ya didn't trash ya pieces, they would go well with my Bear bag collection :twisted:
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 10 Feb 2015 03:23

I miss your energy! Let's Skype soon (tonight?)!!

<3

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 11 Feb 2015 13:10

Thanks Nick. Yeah, I feel that footbag has taught me a lot about how to accomplish tithings in general. And a lot about focus, meditation, mind, and body. Such valuable lessons that I will apply to whatever may come my way. It's pretty crazy to think that I was just a little pendulum dude with wack form and made it to where I did. I have a lot of progression to make still, and I believe a clear mind will make it happen more quickly. I feel ya on expressing deeper thoughts, I have just been a roller coaster of emotions since I stopped blazin just need to focus on meditation and the balance of life a bit more.

Haha Derek, I would never trash my pieces! I have no objection to blazin again once I get settled and focused a bit more, just not that everyday all the time shit just too intense! Yeah I only used the oil rig like 3 Tim's before I stopped so silly. Sorry I missed ya Saturday did a last minute trip to tahoe. At the least footbag is going to be great workout motivation, I just may not have desire to improve as much as before including learning new concepts. But I guess I have just been a form who're the past couple years anyways.

Thanks Cass, I miss your energy too! Sorry this week is insanely busy for me, my nanny mom is out of town til Monday an I am in full time parent mode. Skype will happen soon enough, next Tuesday at the latest I hope <3
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags