hogan

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: Hogan

Post by C-Fan » 26 Nov 2014 13:15

7evinkogan wrote:
-whirling same revup
-flurry>toe flurry....wanted this for years!
Dug these the most.

How are the legs feeling? Do you need the winter to heal up still?

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 26 Nov 2014 20:25

I didn't think it could be done, but that post does a pretty good job of recreating what it was like to be at that jam.

Sorry about your friend. I don't know if you guys were close, but losing anyone you know is always rough.
Matt Kemmer

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 27 Nov 2014 17:20

Solid links, man. Also sorry to hear about your friend. 25 is too young. My condolences.

Glad your hip seems to be feeling better. Your game is going to progress drastically, just wait til you're able to hit Rev Swirl x10 on both sides. So much new balance that you never had before. You'll love it. I'm stoked for our next shred. Sounds like your drilling is going to be gnarly enough to boost your level a good chunk before NYJ. Keep it bo'ing, gro.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 28 Jan 2015 16:50

~ less of a priority then design but im also making steps to improve drastically this year. heres a brief list on how i want to expand my game

-going to start a yoga class in the next few weeks. cass very nicely told me i take shitty care of myself at NYJ and she is right. my body is pretty beat the fuck up from footbag so i think this would be a great way to not only build flexibility but repair some of that ps whirl-related damage. The next one has to do with yoga as well.

-master (read be mindful) of breathing. breathing is something i definitely tend to go into autopilot on, especially while under the influence of coach. i notice i'm much denser/style feels cleaner when i focus on breath. this is largely inspired by nick landes, the dream of the 90's <3.

- monthlyish 2 mans with Matt K. if anyone knows how to throw a whirl dex, holla at mah nigga right here. no one throws down a line of 12 contacts that are so dense yet so sexy like Kem Trailzzz. He's helped immensely with mental game already. I definitely see us hitting some crazy shit together. gonna try to get some BSC-Kem sessions in as well once we're less focused on training/bro-mancing.

If i can stay on track with these simple things and stay injury free, i will see some of you crackers in a final circle again this year 8) :lol:

-made a training program with nick. making specific goals honing in on exact tricks and concepts. I do have some general goals for 2015 that i may post l8ter.

so random highlight reel of stuff:

-gyro toe peace treaty (its not a war because that trick is so chill), hit almost every session since it turned 2015.

-pdx revup for the first time into a run, flip footed. dedicated to ken who asked about this trick at ecfc!

-symp dlos have been a thing for me lately....hit toe, clip same and pdx all bsos in seperate runs. backside fog & backside smog have been hit by me recently aswell.

-frantic butterfly>ducking pdx dlo

-pdx egg>dimwalk>symp whirl rpt. fun fun fun.

-alpine legbeater>pdx torque>dankness.

-baroque>swifter. bob said it looked good! probably one of the top links ive ever done. got it to blurry whirl too with a nice genuinish seal but swifter is def harder.

-spinning ducking gyro toe bs

see ya's in another 3 months :D
Last edited by h0ag3yb3atZ on 11 Mar 2018 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 28 Jan 2015 19:37

Great read. This page glows with positivity. Talk to you soon, Pizzafatha.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 29 Jan 2015 00:37

BAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLIIIIINNNNN!!!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 29 Jan 2015 04:13

barroque into swifter is madness. What a massive link. I was playing around with stepping ducking gyro toe this week, seems fun. I think on the concept of (over?)thinking on your actions at work, that happens to many of us, me included, there's so many times where some kind of mistake happens (which happens to everyone), and then you spend all the time agonising until the next time you work that you screwed up reallll bad and that you should definitely be sacked, and that if you were the boss, you would definitely give that guy the flick, but then you go to work and they say - hey, you fucked something up, please don't do it again, and you think, maybe I can do this after all.

So to cull that down, you're not the only one that happens to!

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 18 Feb 2015 22:05

Wordup Dan Boyle. Thanks for the perspective, it definitely makes me feel better that other people feel the same way. I read r/graphicdesign a lot and it seems most of my problems are pretty common which feels comforting for sure.

Stepping ducking gyro toe is fun! I had the atomic ducking variant off my foot in front of bob a few weeks ago. I watched a recent vid you were in (with Juho too maybe?) and was distinctly impressed with your game and your efforts to promote the sport. Too bad you live far away because I think I’m a footbagger who dosen’t suck at marketing J

Bowled with Ben Little, Alicia (probably spelled Ben’s wifes name wrong) & Pete and shot a little pool a few weeks ago. I'm super stoked to start playing with ben again regularly in the summer.

Started spending 20-30 minutes each sesh working on fearless links. I realized I haven’t broken my record since like 2011 which was only 4 or 5 and something super generic (in g units L). I see this as a good opportunity to drill my 5’s a bit and as a great mental workout, you really can’t hold your clippers like a bitch when spinning out of ps whirl..well unless you’re the dude in the beginning of pulp fiction I guess.

I think 6 is a pretty reasonable number for now and that will hopefully come soon. I don’t think I’m really at a place in my game where I feel comfortable fucking with fearless unless it’s watching taylor swift music videos on mute.

Working a little double spinning in as well. A few clippers and some good midstring sets. Still haven’t found great rhythm. It is fucking incredible to me how good brianbear is at these suuppppah smooth.

Some fearless combos of our lives from tonight:

-bw>bw>psw>spin whirl

-ripped warrior>spinning ducking osis>ps whirl>spin whirl

-bw>bw>tomahawk>spinning whirl. Boring, but I used to really suck at spinning whirl J Got this 2 or three times. Had a mobius roll off my heel once on the last spinning whirl and I screamed mad loud and probably unnerved a some frumpy Spanish mama working out in the official indoor shred quarters.

-Spinning ducking osis>fog>phoniex

other stuffs lately:

-flip paradon swirl

-flip superfly~~~~~the bane of my existence for like 4ish years. Hit 7 or 8 of them in a single session. it’s true kids, sometimes hard work pays off.

-blurrage>paradon swirl..bob’s request. I think maybe on video?

-gyro diving clip b2b, gyro diving clip>spinning ducking clip>gyro divining clip bs.

-spin ducking osis>swifter

Snow here is fucking record breaking and is making travel for footbag/life circumstances pretty difficult at the moment. had sessions fall threw with both the The book of the NecKemtronicon (twice, fuck!) and bobby G . looking forward to playing with them both once it’s nice out and all the snow is gone….in september.

heres a video of reggie watts playing with lcd soundsystem.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Feb 2015 23:33

I thought you would be able to do more fearless....you have some pretty massive tricks. Thanks for the kind words, would love to meet some day. Have some more Juho footage too, will have to get that out there.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 19 Feb 2015 06:55

Spinning Ducking Osis> Swifter is nasty
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 22 Feb 2015 18:43

thanks kyle.

dan, i think there are a few reasons i've never really pushed fearless much, the biggest being that i would rather hit 40 contacts with good variety then 6 boring tricks i'm only pushing because of their point value.

i didn't have confidence in my bigger pdx whirl tricks on flipside for a long time either which are the essence of many great fearless combos. spinning whirl after 3 other 5 add tricks is something I thought i would never be able to do. also many great players (ken, dave, jim, jorden etc.) who push fearless rely heavily on having a good pdx blender, which is still a trick i barely do/don't drill much.

and finally big double down tricks are another common theme in great fearless runs. i've hit pretty much all of the standard ones on both sides but they are still my worst downtime component. my dimmiest's are the as fuck sometimes.

you will see me break 6 or 7 by spring though, promise :D

went to work both days this weekend to catch up on some filing and work on some personal projects, including the footbag badges. I have the template created (posted in the freestylers group) and am using a different silhouette of a footbagger on each one so once again, send me your still shots that you think would look good and i'll see what i can do. worst comes to worst i just use the same shitty pictures of vasek on google images you've all seen so try to get me a silhouette if you can and want to be a part of this project.

you all should see these 100% complete by mid march. they are at the top of my list. waiting on my taxes so i can fix my macbook and get cracking on all the stuff that's been piling up (boatz & i have a pretty mighty collaboration in the works that you will all see soon as well.) so excited to get back to hustlin' freelance though, cash business is always the sweet spot.

so two or three seshes since last post. good un with the green man as well. i didn't smoke before i played today, wrote a list of tricks i wanted to set a record for, combos i wanted to try and some flipside stuff. trying to get into a serious rhythm with drilling so i can level up nicely before penn state jam.

my session today was pretty horrible but some ok links and runs came from it. heres a crappy highlight real:

-gyro swirl bsos with the flip midrun. probably not new.
-gyro diving clip>shaft
-stepping whirling swirl. this is silly because its still harder for me then blurry whirling swirl which i don't even really consider a highlight anymore. bob had a good observation regarding how i was pivoting which i think helped get the seal. i wanna get good at this one then hit it bsos then step from it :D
-stepping same symp swirl bsos with pdx whirling swirl in the seal.
- good run with bw>bw to open and pdx torque>pdx torque in the seal.

really enjoying life and footbag. thankz for readin' kids.
Last edited by h0ag3yb3atZ on 11 Mar 2018 00:27, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 23 Feb 2015 18:42

Been digging all of the positivity in your posts lately. Fun to watch you leveling up in footbag and in life.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuqR3oZjZa8[/youtube]

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 27 Feb 2015 11:16

7evinkogan wrote:
really enjoying life and footbag. thankz for readin' kids.
Agree with Bob-o. Spring time needs to come, would like to see ya push the Fearless, just don't die. Also, very intrigued by the Boats collabo. Playin' without the greens is rough, seems like ya did well, though. So silly that Steppy Whirly Swirl is tougher than the Blurry, not too sure which I like better. Do you have preferance, if they were even? Most of this still has me all 8O , especially that last run. Hope to be playin' with ya in the near future, homie.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 28 Feb 2015 07:35

>The book of the NecKemtronicon

Shit, I gotta step up my kem name game.
-Daniel C. NY, USA. "Sacrifice a goat to our Lord and Savior Evan Gatesman".

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 02 Mar 2015 14:08

Thanks Bob! I would say your presence definitely helps speed up the leveling up process in both of those things. We have a kick ass time out here in scenic Haverhill.

Yo dr. D! I would rather be good at them on both sides equally but stepping whirling swirl might look a little gnarlier to me. Aleksi hits stepping whirling swirl>bedwetter in a recent vid and it’s just such a badass, flowy athletic looking combo. I don’t think it would stick out as much if it were bws?

Dan:

playing a lot more pool lately. Averaging 2 nights a week at a dive bar near my house

Played with Bob and Indiana Jones and The Kemple of Doom since last post. Neither session was particularly great but it felt good to play and see some good styles. I predict bob will be significantly better by PSU jam then he was the last time most people saw him play. Lots of guiltless lines and smooth pixie sets from haverhill’s favorite beareded son.

Mork Keffler was Macc Kamphler on an off day. Lots of hard trick>tombstone schooling…notables being mullet, scorpions tail, whirly whirl whirlstein etc. Spent some time on pdx egg stuff as well. We both played far from our best but we played through it and still had fun. Who knew matt had such soft hands?

Hoagie stuff from both sessions

-assasin>muted dlo rpt
-good bedwetter bsos. First time in lavers probably.
-blazing infinity b2b
-stepping diving clipper>ducking gyro toe>run
-flipside blade runner..new. Really embarrassing considering I hit bladerunner for the first time probably around a year before I did it in this old vid 1,000% inspired by Derek. Thanks mang.

Writing down a quick regime now and going to have a session. peace homies.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 04 Mar 2015 15:53

Ya-yuh, totally agree. Hoagie, the lord of nicknames. If you are an avid pool player, you should try out Chalk The 8, requires the utmost clutchness. After the break, you put a chalk under the 8-Ball, and CANNOT knock it down until it's your time to go for the win, otherwise it counts as scratching the 8, and you lose. Gonna have to bite on that Assassin >muted DLO drill, like, damn. Glad ya got the flippers 8)
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 19 Mar 2015 12:50

haha i’ve always tried to spearhead the nicknaming game.”hoagie” has been something i’ve answered to since like 99-2000, not my invention though.

wordup derek that sounds like something i would definitely try. re-reading my last post the part about pool was a total thought fragment (don’t burn & blog kids) but i’ve been putting in a few hours a week on da table. I have no scientific proof but i think setting up grids daily at work/doing so much fucking math is helping me “see” angles for shots i would have hail mary’d a few years ago even when i was playing a lot, which is definitely helping progress. If I can stay consistent with playing, a client/friend & I are gonna join a league, which i’m really fucking pumped about.

i could probably just turn this blog into kevins design rambles. Been doing some seriously exciting stuff that I know i’ll want to reflect on in time. Having a hectic, hectic, fucking hectic last few weeks due to a tradeshow and some major projects coming to a head but loving it all. designed this crazy, multi page size, weird fold color coated brochure for my work’s marketing….basically all in one day…which was the day before our tradeshow…production ended at 12:30 pm and I picked them up before the show at 6:00 am. g’damn. It’s one of the best pieces I’ve done (after some tweaking) and definitely pushed me to speed shit up while keeping it quality. making myself really uncomfortable has provided to be a great resource. I’ll post a pic/short vid in here once i have a good un’.

the more i think with it/talk with others, i think footbag is an incredible tool for realizing one’s potential/figuring out that putting in work actually takes you where you need to go but i don’t think footbag (for myself) would ever be a viable “career” option and i think i’d probably fucking hate it if it was but i’m really happy i’m spending my 20’s in this manner. took most of last week off and i was a twitching mess because i haven’t kicked all week haha.

so footbag. lots of schooling because i decided i don’t want to ever drop pdx eggbeater ever again. the goal is to hit 100 perfectly, both sides, split even into 50 into>50 out of the trick on both sides. so far i’m halfway there but already seeing a level up in my egg tricks. Had several session adhering to a stick regime so no shred really, but i’m hoping to get a nice little boost from all this drilling before penn state.

random shit from the past two weeks:

-long run with both pigs, bedwetter, a flurry and a bunch of other stuff.
-flip mantis>run a few times. this is new sadly but feels just like strongside. didn’t have the energy for the bsos but hopefully soon.
-6 gyro dlos in one run (2 flip, 2 strong 1 zooming strong)
-started some runs with clean fusions which i never do lol
-stepping knee bump>clip>stepping op knee bump>clip rpt
-gyro dlo>dimwalk rpt. :/

nothing too crazy but really trying to push my footbag game in the right direction. i am so excited for penn state. it's been so snowy and shitty and dark here the past few months i can't wait to let lose with the shred at state college. also worked on some stuff with Ivan that was really awesome.
nothing world breaking but it was pretty cool doing the entire design process via iPhone and Facebook with such a talented young buck.

plan is to keep pushing the drills/pdx eggs. gotta have a sesh with matt k and as many as i can with bob before PSU.

never give up. peace kids.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 02 Apr 2015 12:59

pdx egg count stands at 75/100. i did get smoke/Phoenix/pdx torque/alpine fairybeater/tombstone/mobius/vortex>pdx egg both sides the last two sessions in not too many tries so those should be feeling nice for penn state jam. I’ll be working on unique tricks out of them during tonights session.

-drifter>vortex rpt

also BADGES. i have had a full design schedule (!) for the first time in my career the past few weeks so they’ve taken a backseat, especially with the penn state marketing materials taking precedence which are now all done (such an honor to work with Ivan, he’s an incredibly bright kid, i hope we can work on more stuff in the future). Nick Polini has given me the remainder of silhouettes (only 4 left) i needed to take care of these so you can expect them to be done sometime within the week, maybe saturday.

I’m totally doing these for free and i know it took six years, but for all you more professional minded footbaggers, it would mean the world to me if you could endorse me on linkedin or something with a short review. i’m pretty open with certain clients about footbag and the fact that people all over the world will be utilizing these is pretty great and i was definitely gonna display them in my portfolio.

It would really add more credibility and depth if other people then me were talking about this online for sure. only thing better then a linkedin review would be some cash business for some web graphics….if anyone has friends that need stuff like that quick i’d also love to help out. at the very least, enjoy the badges homies it’s an honor to help visually shape my favorite sport.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 03 Apr 2015 09:39

#Yoguysmath.
7evinkogan wrote: -6 gyro dlos in one run (2 flip, 2 strong 1 zooming strong)

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 03 Apr 2015 11:19

hahaha such a funny hash tag!