Israel Footblog - Training program

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Muffinman
the gimp

Re: Israel Footblog - A new hope

Post by Muffinman » 03 Nov 2012 14:21

This is really great. I'd love to do this, and it's totally something I can see myself doing, but I don't play regularly enough for it to be accurate for me in any way. I'm curious to see more of your results.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 04 Nov 2012 07:28

Thanks, Erik! I'm glad to get your endorsement :) I don't have the ego nor the experience to ask other people to help refine this, but if anyone else picks this up I'd be glad to discuss what we learn and see if it's personal, universal, etc. and perhaps build a training method that can be used to improve other people's training as well.

Reilley, I totally agree that there's a lot of extrapolation. The amount of variables is huge and the data sample is small. And even if I repeat the same patterns to prove/disprove hypotheses, the fact that it's not a blind experiment, i.e. I already have a prediction/opinion on a given hypothesis, will affect the outcome (for example, if I believe that two sessions in a row lead to suboptimal performance, I'll probably play suboptimally and be more self forgiving on a second session). For now I'm planning on adopting a change when I have an idea of its positive effect on my training, and rethink it if turns out that it doesn't improve like I thought it should. Not scientific but I'll take my chances.

Regarding the not being able to play at an optimal level on a second day, it's not to say that it's a bad idea to still do it. Perhaps it's good to practice under physical strain, I don't have any indication on that yet. But if I had to compete at worlds, it's important to know how much I can play and how much rest I need in order to reach an event at peak performance.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 05 Nov 2012 13:24

Grinding through the program.

Osis improves slightly. I'm aware of all the ways that I drop it, which of them is the most common for each side, and beginning to get a clue of why I drop it that way. I'm hitting significantly less contacts of osis compared to infinities in this program. On the other hand, each contact gets a lot more attention, and getting through the osis drill takes longer than the x to 50 drills. I think (hope) that a weak trick benefits more from attention than contact mass until it's dialed in. I'm looking forward to seeing how much I can improve my osis by the time I finish this batch of the program. I really hope it'll be good enough for the b2b drill. I'll need it if I am to graduate from tiltless->50 to guiltless runs.

Infinities are really starting to gel; some runs feel on a whole new level. It's nice that the stamina portion of the difficulty is nearly gone, and what's left is control and focus. An interesting skill that I'm improving with this drill is hitting the infinity from real bad situations. I have no idea how far I am from hitting a straight 50, but it's definitely taking much longer than anticipated. I'm surprised by how hard of a challenge it turned out to be.

Roy Klein

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 05 Nov 2012 15:29

these sound like great drills for upping your stamina and also consistency! Are the drills your focusing on infinity>infinity, pdx mirage > butterfly, and osis>osis? If so I also find osis>osis to be the hardest of these. Keep working at them! They do get easier. If your looking for other basic guiltless drills but want to add some variety I also enjoy ducking clipper rpt. and the harder but oh so fancy looking gyro clipper rpt. or spinning clipper>gyro clipper rpt. Sounds like soon you'll be a routine machine!
Dustin Rhodes

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 06 Nov 2012 00:38

The drills are:
infy to 50 (50 contacts of infinities, in case of drop, pick up and keep going) x 5 (total 250 contacts)
tiltless to 50 x 5
And the new one is single osis x 50 per side (clipper set->osis->hand catch or some trick of choice, 50 times per side, total 100 contacts). As you said, osis b2b is hard, too hard for me at the moment to be an efficient drill. So doing osis to hand catch or osis to trick and then hand catch is my way of focusing on each contact to try to build a working and consistent form.

That's it, since I can't do more than 3 of these in a session I had to shelf the pdx mirage one.

Roy Klein

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Israel Footblog - Training program

Post by crazydwarf » 06 Nov 2012 11:11

I've done something very similar to that infinity drill a ton before :). I didn't do enough of the tiltless drill, which made my toes really bad (because 3's were not easy for me on toes, but I wanted to play guiltless, so they just got completely neglected). I do the same thing with trick > hand catch when I'm just learning a trick. And yeah 600 contacts in this way is a good amount for a session :)

This makes me want to do some more drills like this, I need to come up with some tricks I want to get better at and try this out with them.
Dustin Rhodes

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 06 Nov 2012 12:36

I'm stealing this. Granted, I'll need to adapt it to my level, but ya. Thanks.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 07 Nov 2012 05:54

I've done something very similar to that infinity drill a ton before
Yeah, I totally haven't, and I now in retrospect I feel like a fool for not 'getting it' that this is how you improve. Well, now I know!
I'm stealing this
Out of curiosity, which part of 'this' are you stealing :)

Roy Klein

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 07 Nov 2012 19:19

This
PoisonTaffy wrote:
The current program consists of:
1) Infy to 50: 5 runs of consecutive infinities, each string ends when reaching 50 contacts, not when dropping the bag.
2) Osis b2b: 10 minutes of Osis b2b, where string ends when dropping the bag.
3) Tiltless to 50: 5 runs of tiltless, also ending strings when reaching 50 rather than when dropping.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 10 Nov 2012 11:44

If you're planning to keep records from your sessions, I'd be very curious to know how much time you take for resting between "to 50" runs.

Today was my 6th session of the current set, and it went great.
In the tiltless to 50, I got dropless twice. Granted, they were mostly 'safe' runs, but just to think that 2 months ago I was not mentally and physically capable of achieving this, is very encouraging.

Osis is showing improvement from session to session. Still not ready for b2b, though. I think I may need another intermediary drill before I'd feel ready for b2b, but nothing comes to my mind at the moment.

Infinities, however, are stagnating. I changed today's drill from infy to 50 to infy b2b to see how I fare compared to my previous set, due to the fact that I often had my first drop in infy to 50 before the 10th contact. Turns out that infy to 50 improved my stamina (and subjectively, I think it really improved my form), but didn't improve my consistency at all. I don't want to completely give up on it, so from now on I'll alternate between infy to 50 and infy b2b until the end of the set. I hope that the combination will bring the best of both - less drops, better form and improved stamina.

Winter started here this week, and it got me thinking that I'm going to be playing indoors for most of the season. I'm wondering what kind of a player do I want to be when summer comes back, and what kind of drills will bring me there.

Do I want to work on reaching 100 tiltless, Or should I be working on 50 guiltless? Should I focus all my energies on tight, consistent bop runs, or work on other basic 3 adds? When is the right time to start thinking about creativity enhancing drills? Well, to be honest, I'm super ecstatic just to realize that I have this luxurious problem, of being able to direct my training to achieve a goal, and needing to figure out what it ought to be.

Roy Klein

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 15 Nov 2012 13:27

I think both 100 tiltless are both good goals, which need to be worked on in different ways. Both are great for the stamina as well.

How long do you take for a break between runs in your "to 50" sessions?

Something I have been trying to work on, in addition to numbers is making sure I have some harder tricks right in the middle of the run, rather than just starting or finishing with them.

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 16 Nov 2012 16:35

As far as making osis b2b easier what I usually do for harder tricks for me is stick a clipper in between so...
osis>osis rpt. becomes osis > same side clipper rpt.

I've done this with pdx whirls and flip spins recently and lots of tricks in the past.

Also for infinites I always find infinity > same side butterfly rpt. is helpful
Dustin Rhodes

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 19 Nov 2012 04:38

All this work on the site made it hard for me to record the stats from my last session and reply to you guys here. I haven't seen the numbers yet but I think osis progress is kind of stagnating. Also, another busy week got me training every 2 other days instead of every other day which I am now pretty sure is bad for progress.

Daniel, I rest 1.5 minutes between runs. I tried 2 minutes and it didn't help at all (it was even boring to wait so long), and less than that seems too intense for me right now.

I've started alternating infy->50 and infy->max, and turns out: It does seem to improve consistency, where just infy->50 didn't improve consistency, and my tiltless->50 goes better when I do the much less intensive infy->max before. I'm going to start alternating both, and changing the order so it's:

single osis x 50
10 minutes something to max (infy or tiltless)
something to 50 (infy or tiltless)

I have only 3 more sessions on the current set, and it's clear to me that I won't hit 50 infy within them. So next set I'm dropping infy and focusing on something else. I'm thinking:

* A more advanced osis drill. Maybe osis->osis->butterfly to max, or as Dustin suggested, osis->clipper rpt to max. I'm also considering osis->butterfly to max and doing two shorter drills for each side. Whatever string is going to result in more consecutive contacts.

* pdx mirage->butterfly to 50 and to max alternating

* tiltless to 70 and to max alternating

So my latest speculations from the training program:
1) Training 1 day, resting 1 day, makes for more optimal sessions in comparison to training consecutive days and training 1 day, resting 2 days.

2) training 1 day, resting 2 days slows progress significantly in comparison to training 1 day, resting 1 day.

3) Doing two x->50 drills in a row is less optimal than x->max and then x->50

Roy Klein

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 Nov 2012 03:12

I think osis>clipper is an excellent drill for measuring, and for improving osis as well. Also like the idea of bumping up the tiltless to 70.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 21 Nov 2012 09:37

OH YEAHHH BEE OUCH 50 infy b2b!!

I am so fucking glad to reach a goal for once!! I can now put infy aside for a while with a clear conscience.

I tried out the osis->clipper thing and it seemed to work out; I can hit it b2b but it's still pretty hard. I think it's the right thing. I'm a little disappointed that my flip osis is coming out of this set still very weak. But at least my right osis is pretty strong. I usually drop only twice in the 50 hits.

Anyways, yeah. I get the 50 infy badge.

Roy Klein

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 21 Nov 2012 17:51

Kol Hakavod, Roi!

All this stuff --- the long hard effort of just mastering basics --- some people seem to skip past this stage, but many of us have put in the same hours of sweating --- I'd done this sort of drilling so many years ago that I'd nearly forgotten what it was like. Reading your blog, especially now that you've hit that goal, has reminded me how hard it was and how worthwhile. The effort involved makes the achievment all the sweeter, thanks for reminding me. Nicely done, and keep it up.

I think you should combine your drills --- try Osis > Infinity > repeat --- I know it doesn't switch sides. That don't matter. Or, Osis > Infinity > Infinity > repeat ---- that WILL switch sides of the osis.
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 22 Nov 2012 01:45

Thanks! I always thought that I was one of those who DIDN'T skip the basics, but I really had no clue how wrong I was until the program.

I wish years ago someone had grabbed me and said "No, no pixies until you finish your bops!", but without a program I doubt I'd have the mental discipline required to have sessions dedicated to hitting huge numbers of very few components.

Roy Klein

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 Nov 2012 12:26

Congrats on the 50 infinities. I'm not sure I have done that before. Maybe once or twice. Excellent work on your training program. I remember you say something at Worlds in Berlin, or maybe on your blog - that you are the type of person that needs structured training (and that was what attracted you to Aikido), this is something perfect for that, and I think overall it will really help your game.

You must have finished your round of 10 - time for a new chart?

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 26 Nov 2012 12:52

Yeah the program is good in many ways. I really like coming to practice knowing exactly what I'm going to do, almost minute by minute. I even warm up the same way each time in order to reduce variables from session to session. My only problem is that I feel guilty neglecting other tricks I worked on. But when I shred, turns out that even though I don't work on them my overall improvement pulls them up as well. I just have to keep that in mind and I'll be fine.

Had my last session of the series today, having slept only 4 hours tonight. I was wondering how it would affect me. I completed only half of the infy to fifty and I didn't pass 30 contacts on tiltless to max, but osis wasn't really affected. In fact I only dropped one on the strong side, which is a record. So less stamina and more stupid drops than usual, but less dramatic than I had expected.

Before starting with the program I remember wondering how bad it is that I set infinities sideways. After all this training, I can clearly see that when I set sideways I drop quicker than when I set straight up. All my longest runs were mostly straight up sets. That and set height seem to be a huge part of being consistent, and I'm not totally there yet on both. These last 20 sessions I've made a lot of visible progress, but there's still work to do. Hopefully once I'm used to hitting longer strings, I'll be able to come back to it and really hit a ton of infinities until the proper form is hard wired in my brain.

I kind of lost some of my pages of my sessions, I didn't input into excel in time, and didn't write dates on them. And having changed the drills in the middle messed up the stuff I did input to excel, so if I'll do any graph it'll probably be nonsense indicative of nothing... I think I'll keep all the pages in a binder and only input them at the end of the series from now on. I made the stupid mistake of trying to prepare my spreadsheet in advance for this series, but since I changed it, all my preparations only helped to make everything more difficult.

I am now nearing 24 hours without sleep. I better get to it.

Roy Klein

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 04 Dec 2012 13:14

Last week I started the new round of training regime, and quickly realized that I bit more than I could chew. Pdx mirage drill didn't go as hot as I wanted, and 70 tiltless was harder than I expected.

I chose 20 more tiltless every round because a) I'm an idiot b) It didn't sound too horrible, c) I'm too ambitious for my own good. But having tried it and as a result nearly got myself expired, I figured that it means it's equivalent to doing two more sets of 50, with 2/5th the break between each one.

Also, I took a video of some of these tiltless runs, and noticed that my clipper is consistently not good enough on flip side.

Finally, I wanted to incorporate the concept of "flow" to help me on the things I'm trying to learn, and not trying to improve.

So I decided to revise my new regime to this:

1) 5x50 contacts of clipper->ss clipper (i.e. left,left->right,right)
2) 15 minutes of osis->clipper rpt
3) 5x60 contacts of tiltless

The idea is that the first drill will improve my clipper form (as the "infy to 50" improved my infy form), and will warm me up nicely for the osis drill, which is where I have the most difficulty simply hitting the damn thing. Then, closing the deal with a marathon of 300 contacts with a minute and a half break every 60, to improve consistency and stamina.

I did it once and felt the exact amount of exhaustion at the end where I know I worked hard but haven't totally wiped myself.

Roy Klein