Israel Footblog - Training program

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Israel Footblog - Training program

Post by PoisonTaffy » 29 Dec 2012 06:34

Here's what's been going on lately:

Olaf Piwowar was here for a short visit. He hasn't played in a year, broke his fast with me and blew my mind. I'm still boggled by how some people are simply more gifted in some things than other. It's almost as if we did two different sports. But my runs were solid and long and I felt much better about my game than when Rene was here.

Regarding my training program, I'm switching from osis->ss clipper rpt back to separate osii drills. I'm thinking short runs of osis->butterfly rpt (short, because long strings of that makes me dizzy). I believe that since my strong osis is much stronger than my weak osis, doing a drill that involves both of them doesn't train my weak osis enough. I want to work on it separately and see if I can speed up the improvement rate. At first I thought I should keep doing my drill until the current round of training ends, but I don't want to waste my time doing something I am pretty sure is not constructive. I hope that the three remaining sessions I have left will be enough to spot a significant improvement in my flip osis, which will indicate that my assumption is correct, and I'll be able to build my next program with that assumption in mind.

I've been thinking that my sucking at worlds, then sucking when Rene came here, it was all for the good because I used those failures constructively to come up with something better than what I did before. Overcoming failure is a powerful platform to move forward.

I read a very interesting article about fitness. It points to further reading material about building athletic training programs. I bought one of them books and it contains a lot of information that is relevant to my training program. It kind of confirms it, really, and gives me new food for thought.

It also talks about training injuries and how to heal them. In a nutshell, I've got a problem that I can't do atomics and quantums because my back can't take them, and the article suggests that such a thing is an indication of a weak supporting muscle and it can be fixed by training that muscle. It will something I will look into as well.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Israel Footblog - Training program

Post by PoisonTaffy » 01 Jan 2013 11:55

I've finished my set today, had a pretty good session. I'll try to map out the results from all the sessions tomorrow and see where I'm standing.

I filmed my clippers and osii to get an idea of where I'm at, and posted the videos on a feedbacks page I created on the site I'm working on
http://footbagfront.com/feedbacks

It's very hard to look objectively at my form. I'm just glad to see that it somehow improved, but I have no idea what else needs to be fixed, other than a choppy left clipper and a hard time setting straight up after the osis. I want to develop my ability to see form mistakes, I think it's crucial to know what to work on in order to get better results.

For the next training round I'm thinking:
:arrow: Clipper->ss clipper-> hand catch. 10 minutes strong side, 15 minutes weak side.
:arrow: Osis->infinity->hand catch. 10 minutes strong side, 15 minutes weak side.
:arrow: 70 contacts tiltless run x 5

Very similar to the previous round of training, with two important differences:
1) Seeing if shorter runs help improve form quicker. Got the idea from Olaf.
2) Seeing if separating working on left and right sides help improve consistency quicker, especially on my flip osis which is still rather pathetic.

I've decided to work on tiltless until I can do 80 contacts, and then move to guiltless.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein