Reid Resurrected

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.

Will Reid hit food> blurrywhirl repeat by the end of the week?

Poll ended at 11 Apr 2010 20:09

yes
100%

Total votes: 7

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Reid Resurrected

Post by Reid » 04 Apr 2010 20:09

I believe it's acceptable for me to start my own blog considering the active FtB at this moment is only yours truly. I'll leave the other blog for collective accomplishments, events and reunion jams of the FtB.

Footbag for me right now is a yearning to play. Two weeks ago I played in Washington with the very friendly and awesome Seattle crew of Justin, Sam, and Scott. Despite my ankle being injured, not having played in three months, and my consistency lacking, I realized that I had not lost that much of my game. All my concepts still seemed solid enough. I played almost every day this past week, bought myself a new pair of lounging lavers (so as to keep the footbag feel even during the day), and today I celebrated my six year anniversary with my beautiful girl who encourages me to play footbag because she knows I get down on myself if I don't. The weather is nice and the opportunity for footbag seems wonderful. I hope that it is. When life is eating at me and I need the reassurance that I am truly alive and not just some computer program running code from a user, footbag wakes me up. I enjoy the frustration and the sense of accomplishment that comes with increasing my level of play. My goal is to be at a level competitive at the US open and hopefully worlds this year. So I basically have three months I believe. Get to work! End blog entry 1
Last edited by Reid on 01 Jun 2011 10:34, edited 2 times in total.
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 05 Apr 2010 11:32

1st reply!

See you in 2 weekends.

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 07 Apr 2010 04:34

Super excited! Gogogo!
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 27 Apr 2010 20:20

I would first like to say thank you to the seven people that read my blog and voted in my poll (one of them being myself). Despite my efforts and my belief that I would be able to hit the combo of food> blurry whirl repeat by the end of... well, whenever the poll ended, I was unable to do so. All was not lost though. I spent that entire week schooling blenders and stepping out of them, and have made great progress towards my goal as well as realized areas I need to work on. My left foot "crank" is very poor and in all my attempts stepping out of my left blender posed the greatest problem. I can almost certainly attribute this to the many injuries incurred to my ankle over the years (See the FtB blog or my facebook for pictures). All this means is that I will need to work my left side that much more. We are only as strong as our weakness.

My sessions have been frequent, but inconsistent. I've picked up ultimate frisbee in addition to swimming for the past four weeks which has been leaving me very drained for footbag. I will have my last game tomorrow! Hopefully this will allow me to play more and be more energized for my sessions. I also feel like my power, speed, and vertical leap has improved greatly because of the ultimate and I look forward to seeing how this transfers over to footbag. I was a fish out of water and now I'm simply evolving for land and have short stubby feet that are really pretty much still just fins, but hey it feels good and new.

Other than that I have been looking for morel mushrooms and spending most of my time searching the humus of the forest floor. I haven't had very much luck. So far I have only found four yellows and one "gray," but it did just rain and warm weather is expected for the next few days so hopefully they will be a popping. :D

Anyways,
This is Reid, sleep tight.

End blog entry (EBE) 2
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 29 Apr 2010 19:35

I vote no. Are you staying down by school/work or do you take the summer off still? Are you gonna be around the burbs of Chicago?

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 11 May 2010 19:00

Sorry Jon, the polls are closed. The democrats won. And yes, I am still down state for this summer, but moving up to Chicago sometime in August or September.

Why

To kick a bag until it drops
why I practice every chance I get
To kick a bag until it plops
Why I play through rain of sweat

above my head
behind me knee
legs of lead
adds of three

Some people say there is nothing to it
to kick a bag until it drops
I ask them "can you do it"
to kick a bag until it plops?

spinning ducking diving too
my body gone I've lost control
the bag again falls from my shoe
from the ground the bag I pull

to kick a bag until it drops
I lay panting on the floor
to kick a bag until it plops
I get up and say I want more

EBE3

edit: and link to my youtube page ( yes I am zee biofreek)

http://www.youtube.com/user/BioFreek68

Reid Strellner

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 11 May 2010 21:23

I challenge you to invent a new footbag move youve never seen or heard of hit.

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 17 May 2010 20:16

I'll work on that Jon.

I had a decent session today. Strings were good. Practice was good. Highlight was 20 contacts of pswhirl>clipper repeat. My barrages are starting to feel like they used to. Paradox mirage and left infiniti still needs work.

Good night

EBE 4

Reid Strellner

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 18 May 2010 01:16

PegLegHolly wrote:Super excited! Gogogo!
Isn't Gogo, like, stepping inspinning?? You should hit something out of it and call it gogogo :D

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 19 Jun 2010 12:24

Erik, my stepping inspinning needs a lot of work. :)

Lately, I've been working on my routine/s for Worlds. I have two songs partially choreographed currently and another I'm thinking about. I haven't decided which I'm going to use for the first round, and If I do make it through who knows if I'll just do the same routine or mix it up for the following round. One is a revised routine from the one I did at US open last year, the other two are a bit more intense and faster paced.

My shred is coming along real nicely. I've been getting the kinks out of my ankle and my left clipper game is almost back to where it was last year.

Concept I've been working on are:

Whirling swirl (inspired by Matt K)
Double down family (always needs work, but more solid than ever currently)
whirr (worked on this a bit last year, but never really fine tuned it)
torque (used to be one of my go to moves, but for whatever reason I stopped using it. Trying to get it back)
blender family (this trick was the one that messed my ankle up bigtime. I'm going to conquer the beast)

Work has been consuming much of my time lately outside of footbag, but in the cracks I've been story boarding a Comic Book. It's a zombie comic.

Ianek, I've read it. I've annotated it. I will respond soon.

EBE 5

Reid Strellner

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 01 Jul 2010 19:10

Great session today. Legs felt limber. Played for two hours.

Weak side jani walker> blurry whirl> blurry whirl
Strong side jani walker> blurry whirl> blurrywhirl> spinning whirl> scorpion tail

Pheonix> blur> repeat

EBE 6

Reid Strellner

Swizzle
BSOS Beast

Post by Swizzle » 01 Jul 2010 19:44

Nice posting Reid. Did Matt K's PS Whirl< Whirling Swirl RPT video inspire you? That video completely inspired my whirling swirls too lmao.

Nice job on the Fearless's. I would like to hear some fearless drills. Blurry whirl < spinning whirl RPT /// Blurry whirl < tomahawk < Tomahawk < Blurry whirl and i would encourage another blurry whirl out of that because you didnt step after the sided tomahawk.

Anyways, Its likely my camera i ordered will arrive tomorrow. yep, i got one. So my challenge thread will be back open? Possibly after worlds. i gotta build a routine.
Cory Allen
My Footblog

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 06 Jul 2010 19:48

yes it was Matts video that inspired that.

I bought a new mac!!!! I know I don't yet have a job lined up. Rent is doubling next month and worlds is right around the corner. Money is tight, but the deal was too good to pass up so I made the investment.

Footbagged this weekend with the CIC. It was lame. Haha just kidding it was fantastic (I think James is rubbing off on me). I'm really excited to be living in such close proximity to them and becoming one of them... If the chicago footbag authorities so wish it. All fantastic people.

Shred highlights. I don't know. A bunch. Fireworks. Via request by Nathan I hit Smear to Noff. I had a run with spinning pwhirl bsos and mullet which is probably what stands out in my mind the most.

Played tonight, missed last night because the back wheel to my bicycle was stolen and I just mopped around. Oh well, I suppose that is why we have a spare bike. This might also inspire me to fix my bike up if I'm going to be buying new parts for it. All depends on the job situation I suppose. Highlights from tonight. I got a new computer and was able to listen to different music for a change!! spinning far guay to whirl repeat. HAHA that so guay. I get it Finally.

EBE 7

Reid Strellner

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 08 Jul 2010 06:45

This is the greatest blog ever
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 08 Jul 2010 08:51

Zac Miley wrote:This is the greatest blog ever
Yep

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 15 Jul 2010 21:40

Thanks guys. I'm glad you enjoy it... Even though I did sense some sarcasm on Nathans post, and maybe even yours Zac. Hmm.

I played a game of scrabble a few hours ago. I won. Bingo on "cowpies." Even though a quick google search is telling me it's not a word. That's total griptits if you ask me.

Played footbag for about an hour today. Blurry whirl> spinning whirl> spinning butterfly>blurry whirl> spinning whirl> spinning blender. Went through my routine with only one drop. The drop wasn't even in one of the hard parts either so... I was pretty pumped. Dropped on a cross body rake.

Out of toilet paper.

EBE 8

Reid Strellner

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 15 Jul 2010 22:50

Fun blog Reid
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 16 Jul 2010 07:07

No sarcasm in my last post, honest.

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 16 Jul 2010 16:50

None in mine either.

I laughed like 4 times (one of which was your typo on 'moped', which is probably mean) reading through one post, and you probably weren't even trying to be funny, and you're good at footbag.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 20 Jul 2010 12:01

For checking if Scrabble words are legit, use morewords.com. This site includes all words which are playable in tournaments, including the offensive words which are removed from the mis-named "Official Scrabble Players' Dictionary." This site also tells you all the anagrams associated with that set of letters. Very fun.

You should bring your zombie comic to Worlds. Have you read "The Walking Dead?" It's probably my all-time favorite comic, and it happens to deal with zombies.

Props on the recent fearless combos. I look forward to shredding with you at Worlds.