Nick "Houdini" Polini

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Nick Polini: Operation: DSNY (Don't Suck Next Year)

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 03 Feb 2014 16:39

dankness. yer a superstar.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 04 Feb 2014 22:07

Thanks Brogan. No idea what happened on the phone earlier.. All of the sudden I couldn't hear you due to the phone cracking up. We'll chat later though. Maybe a Skype sesh soon..

Today was my first day at the new job.. It's physically exhausting. On my feet, running around pulling orders all day. 8 am to 7 pm today. Craziness. No idea how I still played tonight. I figured I'll just start drilling again since I don't really see me having great sessions after work. Here's a video I filmed after today's brutal day…

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR3GMjBcAOQ[/youtube]

Highlights:

:arrow: Kinda neat Butterfly trick themed run
:arrow: Twirl x5! D: I was so close to 6! (Which is a challenge from Jay)

Sleep. Now.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 05 Feb 2014 10:12

This video is private :(
Mathieu Gauthier

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 05 Feb 2014 19:01

Fixed it. Sorry about that. Again, nothing spectacular or even that great in my opinion. I liked the feel of the first run though.

So second day of work today. Much better. People told me yesterday was the busiest day they've ever had and it's normally not that intense. Today proved them right. This one courier kid who was picking up packages at our place drove into our loading dock gate and the back of his van got latched to our gate somehow and they couldn't get it off for like an hour. It was ridiculous.

Anywho… foot.

So, I want to start off by saying that I thought I was getting better recently (and maybe I was a bit), but I realized tonight that I was getting lucky more than I was improving. So I made up a new drill list, dumbed down a lot, but it's all stuff I can't do first try, or do well first try.

I won't bother anyone with the boring details of the drills, but if you're curious, just pm me and I'll fill you in. It's kind of joke-worthy stuff, sadly. But I'm just not good at it yet. Doing trick attempts too. My tricks are Inspin Clip from Osis, Spinning Swirl, Reaper, and Swirling Mirage. Nothing crazy, just need to get better at them. Frustrated at the beginning of the session, because I couldn't do anything at all. That's when I realized I need to shoot lower. Oh and my repeat trick is Twirl. I plan on setting the world record on this one in the future. But I'm sure Jay has hit like 100 :P

But yeah, I plan on doing these drills every day after work, even if it royally tires me out.

I don't think I have any highlights from tonight, per say. However, I made some great progress on a stylish bail that I want to use from now on. Symp Axle.

Good night. I bed work morning BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP snooze.
Nick Polini

Funblog

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 05 Feb 2014 19:03

Hi nick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 08 Feb 2014 17:36

Hey Tony. I like the things you do.

Greetings bitches and gentlebros.

So a lot has been going on since my last post.

1) Definitely have not been able to kick every night now that I'm working full time. Though, I plan to complete my planned monthly drills every other night.

2) Please cross your fingers for me, because my dream job as Wetland Biologist just opened up in my area and I have a personal connection to the company. I've wanted to do something like this (anything that involves wetlands, wildlife, herpetology/ornithology) for a very long time, like since I was able to talk and think… well, I loved that stuff that long ago, but I guess it was an actual dream since high school.

3)My current job… I guess I should explain that since I haven't yet :P Well the short version is that I'm a package puller/picker (which sounds really funny) and I run a cart around a big veterinary supply warehouse and read a scanner and pull packages/items off the shelves that correspond to a certain code. The job itself is really easy and actually not completely boring. The only downside is that I'm constantly on my feet and that messes with my legs. But hopefully #2 (above) will come into play soon and I won't be doing this for much longer.

4) Nadiah just got a job in her field and I'm really happy for her. This wetland biologist job would be in the same town as Nadiah's new job, so that's also a huge plus because we'd be closer then and maybe be able to move into a place there together. But yeah, Nadiah got a job as an assistant grower in a greenhouse place and they also asked her to dress up as a fairy and teach kids how to build fairy gardens and tell them about how she became a fairy. It sounds like a lot of fun and she's really excited about it.

5) Footbag? Well, since I didn't work today, I did get to shred for a little while, which was SO MUCH FUN. I forgot how much fun just shredding is. My game was showing glimpses of "unstoppability" :P Sorta… I had some runs where I would hit like Pdx Blender and I thought I dropped it, but it was stuck to my foot, so I hit Blink out of it, mindlessly. I'm excited about my game, even though I have to play less now. But hey, why don't I write some highlights?

Some Highlights:

:arrow: Controlled run with Spender BSOS, then Gyro Dyno BSOS, then Gyro Blender flip, then drop on Gyro Blender strong. Felt great
:arrow: These next 4 were inspired by Ben Babyak who told me to try Toe Swirling sets… This has been a dream trick since I started playing… Toe Ripstein. Hell yeah.
:arrow: Toe ss Symp Swirling Toe bs (new on both)
:arrow: Toe ss Symp Blink (one side :/ I'll get flip later, I'm not ready for it.)
:arrow: Toe ss Swivel (again, one sided… Get it later.)
:arrow: Because I'm OCD and I hate hitting a new trick only on one side, I hit Toe ss Symp Rev Swirl bs (new on both), so I felt a bit better at sucking on ss Swivel and ss Symp Blink.
:arrow: Pdx Drifter> Ripwalk *rpt first try
:arrow: Whirligig? That was my first time ever hitting it clean. I don't know how I feel about this trick. It was kinda fun and not hard, but I still want to kick my stepping sets' asses on both sides before I do much bigger stepping junk.
:arrow: Pdx Drifter> Reverse Swirl BSOS (Never been controlled enough to BSOS it before)
:arrow: Pdx Whirl> Reverse Swirl> Pdx Blender bs
:arrow: Xbd Rake> Symp Axle> Toe op Blender mid run
:arrow: Some tricks I hit just to get more ADDs on my shoes and get myself used to them.. Pdx DLO bs, Double Spinning Osis bs, Blaze bs, Blazing Butter bs, Barfly bs (getting easier), and some others.

So that's that. I don't plan on posting much in here because I'm not going to be "shredding" much.. aside from tomorrow. Kicking with Nadiah, Lil Nate, Corey, Jackson, Jeremy, and maybe Drew Krause.
Nick Polini

Funblog

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 10 Feb 2014 06:59

Hell yes to the toe swirls! Awesome!!
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 10 Feb 2014 07:14

Props on toe ripstein! Such a funky trick.

Also, hope you get the job in the same town as your girl. That'd be a sweet valentine gift for you both.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 10 Feb 2014 18:49

Ken, funny thing is that that trick was added to my dream list when I was in my first year because I saw that you had posted it somewhere. I loved how it looked. Four years later, finally got it. Thanks to the last 2 people that commented on my bl0rg :P I'll film one after February. I told myself I wouldn't film the rest of this month. And if I do film, nothing will be released until end of February. Because… well, I'm actually starting to surprise myself and I don't want to be bothersome and constantly post videos with one cool highlight in them :/

Anyway, with that said, some of you know me as a very… boisterous… individual. I can't seem to hold my horses when I see some crazy links go down in person. Even if it's someone at a beginner or intermediate level. I still get so stoked. My point is, that I'm hitting links that I would flip shit about if I saw someone else hit them in person. Looking at the name of my bl0rg, I think it's safe to say that everything is looking good. I had a mini session tonight, and hit some pretty realtalk links and strings. Main point of the session was to drill Sidewalks and I hit Sidewalk BSOS in every run. Then I branched out, which I'm glad I did.

Highlights:

:arrow: LON STYLE PDX TORQUES!!!! FUCK YES! I saw one special thing Lon does and that was the icing on the cake, I believe. He catches his Osis really low on them and that just WORKED for me. Maybe it's not something everyone will agree on, but it works for me and seems to work for Lon.
:arrow: Pdx Torque> Blender almost BSOS. Rolled off the second Blender.
:arrow: Nothing insane, but imo, a super stylish link: Far Symp Osis> Spinning Symp Axle bs then BSOS
:arrow: I thought about how Lon is cool. So I tried to figure out why he's cool.. I came to a great conclusion: Reverse Whirls. Yep, that has to be it (along with his incredible style and effortless game).. So I did a Whip (Rev Whirl) and I felt cool (although I knew that feeling was just an illusion :P punnypunpun) But yeah, I hit a whole run with some awesome, not incredibly hardcore, but stylish and effortless stuff.. The run had Whips, Far Whips, Whirls, Pdx Whirls, Pdx Illusions, Gyro Blink, Gyro Illusion> ss Revup, Blender BSOS, Pdx Blender, some stepping stuff, etc… Nothing insane in that run, but just felt like freestyle in the sense that Lon probably thinks about it. Maybe if I keep doing runs like that, my game will turn into that, which I wouldn't mind.
:arrow: Whip War :P Never hit it before and it felt really cool. Who cares if Far Whip doesn't get 4 ADDs? Style is everything.
:arrow: Pdx Torque> Reverse Swirl BS and again… ALMOST BSOS! My strong Pdx Torque is really my STRONG Pdx Torque now. It's crazy.
:arrow: Last thing.. I wanted to see if Lons secret to Double Downs was Whip… I made that hypothesis a while ago. Never found out if I was right… because.. well, I didn't do Whips. Now I think I can confirm this is plausible. I thought about DD's like Illusioning Whip but hit them more like Illusioning Butterfly… Ended up hitting a run with Barfly BSOS and Paradon BSOS… Which is exciting for me. But the best thing about it is that they were the best I've ever done. Can't wait to do more work on Whips. Erik Chan is the man for owning these.
:arrow: Pdx Drifter> Sidewalk BSOS
:arrow: Sidewalk x6 bs Will work on getting this record higher.

I think I need to take a bit of a break from footbag again. Starting to hurt my shins, plus I'm running around on my feet all day at work, so that sucks. Maybe I'll take off this whole week to recover a bit.

That's all for now. See you in a week, bl0rg!
Last edited by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic on 11 Feb 2014 17:26, edited 2 times in total.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 11 Feb 2014 13:47

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote: :arrow: I thought about how is cool. So I tried to figure out why he's cool.
Then who was phone!!??
Matt Kemmer

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 15 Feb 2014 20:44

Matt: Iono what you're talking bout.

So quick post that won't be complete, but almost complete.. First USTREAM session tonight. Had a bunch of people watching and giving me challenges, which was sick. Thanks again to everyone who watched. Love to do it again soon.

Highlights:

:arrow: Stepping ss Clipper> Blink> Fairy op muted Clipper *rpt
:arrow: DSO b2b
:arrow: Reaper> DOD bs
:arrow: Gyro Diving Butter> Far Blink
:arrow: Gyro DLO> op Blink (one side, but I footed the other a few times. got tired, but I wanna get flip soon)
:arrow: Fairy ss Symp Blink (new trick) (@ 48 min 10 sec in the video)
:arrow: Gyro Legover> Pixie ss Swirl bs (first flip Pixie ss Swirl ever)
:arrow: Gyro Legover> Pixie op Swirl bs (this one and the last one are around 1 hour 47 min (before and after that, within like 3 mins))
:arrow: Infinity Swirl> Pdx DLO bs
:arrow: Frankenstein bs (2nd time on flip)
:arrow: Gyro Whirl> Twirl bs
:arrow: Barfly b2b
:arrow: Spinning Osis x35
:arrow: Spinning Osis> Vortex *rpt
:arrow: Drifter> Ripstein bs
:arrow: Mobius> Blurry Refraction
:arrow: ATW with gatorade bottle bs
:arrow: Smoke near the smoke from my incense
:arrow: Double Spinning Osis bs and Double Spinning Clipper bs
:arrow: Zulu Mirage> op Revup! (@ 44 min 50 sec in the video)
:arrow: Phasing ss Blink (new)
:arrow: Gyro Diving Pickup> near Twirl
:arrow: Fury towards the end when I was madd tired
:arrow: Cloud Stall> ss Symp Swirl> Cloud Kick> Far Butterfly *rpt (@ 1 hour 11 min 20 sec in video)
:arrow: Gyro Refraction> Far Swirl bs
:arrow: Phasing ss Symp Mirage (new… one side)
:arrow: Casket (Fairy ss Drifter)> Blink bs
:arrow: Pdx Torque> Torque bs
:arrow: Pixie Blender> Spender Stoked on that. (@1 hour 56 min 36 sec in video)

THE VIDEO

I think that's everything I was happy about. Someone gave me a challenge of Dimwalk> Ripwalk> Blurry Legover *rpt and it took me 3 tries. I was so pissed at myself. I couldn't believe I didn't hit that first try. Stepping and Pixies really need work, I guess. Ugh. Well, I'm glad my Spinning and Rev Swirl/Swirl game is almost as good as it could be, I think. Seems like people were impressed by 35 Spinning Osis some other spin stuff I hit tonight. So that's cool.

I think I might do one USTREAM session every week or every other week, depending on how busy I am. This was CRAZY fun though, and I really hope to see others doing these USTREAM sessions! Also, tune into Erik Chan's session tomorrow!

Planning on drilling the rest of this week. I want to start being able to cross one concept off at a time. I'm gonna tackle the shit out of stepping in the upcoming month and a half.
Nick Polini

Funblog

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 16 Feb 2014 05:42

I hope your shin splints go away. I was depressed that my challenge wasn't even attemptable. :cry:

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 16 Feb 2014 22:28

Yo Paul, sorry for turning that down. But I had to or else I would have regretted it, if I made it through. Stepping needs lots of work right now. It's not efficient enough yet.. I will give your challenge a shot once I can hit 50 Ripwalks. Right now my Sidewalk record is only 10 bs. So I still have a ways to go before being able to hit your drill. Eventually ;)

Ok, so nothing footbaggy happened today, but dope life stuff did. I'll make it quick though. Hung out with Nadiah today and we had a grand ole' day. Anyway, I was driving down to meet her and I saw a sign for roses on the side of the highway, at this place that I always drive by. It usually advertises "ponds" or "orchids", which is cool, and I like both, just never felt like stopping. Today, I did. So glad I did. I walk in trying to get some roses. As soon as I enter the doorway, I'm face to face with a small room of insectivorous/carnivorous plants. If you know me well enough, you'll know that collecting carnivorous/insectivorous plants is a big hobby of mine. I almost peed my poop when I saw. I go in and start talking to an old man, Bob. He gave me a tour of the place and it was simply amazing (if you're a science/plant/biology/insectivorous plant nerd). They had everything: hanging air plants, orchids, bamboo, bonsais, fruit trees (lemon, grapefruit, etc…), so many species of insectivores that I had only dreamed of seeing in real life, etc… They even had a Darwin Orchid, which I had only learned about in one of my evolution classes. Basically, a super rare orchid that Darwin discovered that can only be propagated by one rare species of moth. It took us 40 years to find another Darwin orchid after Darwin discovered it. They are extremely rare and extremely expensive. He even had some epiphytes (plants that grow on tree bark) that he had bred 35 years ago! There were plants ranging from $1 to $2000… absolutely incredible. Bob told me that one guy flew from Antarctica just to come see/buy one of the plants there. They're a huge deal, but so unadvertised. It is a diamond in the rough.

Anyway, sorry for that ramble… my main source of excitement is from the fact that on March 2nd, they're holding an insectivorous/carnivorous plants class where you pay $45 to get in and you get to make your own pretty big terrarium of various carnivorous plant species. I'm definitely going. I'm so excited, I had to blog it. They had a giant tank layered with fly traps and pitchers, too. That was a dream come true. I had only seen that on youtube before.

TL;DR: Found cool place, had lots of rare plants, specifically carnivorous/insectivorous (which I'm a big fan of). Class is being offered to make carnivorous plant terrarium. So stoked.

Footbag: Probably will drill tomorrow night.
Nick Polini

Funblog

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 16 Feb 2014 23:13

That place sounds awesome. I have a dream of growing bonsai one day. I tried in the past, but I always killed them. Plus they were never real bonsais.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 17 Feb 2014 21:33

Neat!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 18 Feb 2014 03:46

Maybe you could drill on ustream, and make it clear that you are streaming to let the community in on your drilling techniques, you won't be taking any requests but you could answer questions about your drills. I'd like to see that from both you and Erik "DARK SOLES". =)

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 18 Feb 2014 21:04

Well, I took your advice.. like.. IMMEDIATELY lol You were there, so that's good, at least you got to see your own request.

It went well. I got some tips, gave some tips, and hit one new highlight, which I'm stoked about.

Highlight:

:arrow: Far Muted Reverse Swirl b2b! Crazy how both of those tricks felt SO HARD a few months back, even from toe. Now it feels easy, from toe, as well. I guess that means I should test out my Toe op Blinks and Clipper far Blinks soon.

In other news, Toolan saw my post about the insectivorous plant class and he's going to join me! We're planning on streaming a session before or after the class :) So that should be awesome.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 18 Feb 2014 23:57

That is a fucking sick highlight! Congrats!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 19 Feb 2014 22:03

Thanks, Asmus :) I'm happy about how my more advanced Reverse Swirl tricks are going. I drilled tonight and had 2 highlights from it.

Highlights:

:arrow: During Pdx Torque> Reverse Swirl 5x bs, each side was BSOS'ed, all 5 times… and I have NEVER sauced that before. My Pdx Torques improved so much already with just a few sessions. Amazed, really.
:arrow: Reverse Swirl War! So amped on that highlight. Not a "HUGE" drill but very technical. I haven't seen anyone else hit this, especially muted style.
:arrow: I also hit Far Muted Reverse Swirl b2b again.
Nick Polini

Funblog

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 20 Feb 2014 13:49

That drill is sick. I've never seen it before. Looked great.

Stoked to shred with you in NOLA.