Nick "Houdini" Polini

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Re: Nick Polini: Operation: DSNY (Don't Suck Next Year)

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 15 Jan 2014 21:14

January 15th marks the day that I finally brushed my "Post-drilling rust" off. Shit was just flowing. Really nice to feel that once again. Can't make this a long post, but! I do have a video of some of the stuff I hit!

Highlights:

:arrow: Spinning Blink EZBSOS (pretty sure this is my first time on flipside)
:arrow: Gyro Reverse Swirl x3 (world record?) (video)
:arrow: Vortex> Whale Tail bs (video)
:arrow: Spikehammer> Far Blink bs (video)
:arrow: Blur> ss Revup BSOS in a pretty sweet run (video)
:arrow: Toe Far Revup BSOS (new on flip) (video)
:arrow: Diving Blink (new..only strongside)
:arrow: Airing Swirl (new trick) (video)
:arrow: Symposium Airing Mirage (new trick) (video)
:arrow: I'm going to call that Cloud kick stepping set "Popping" set... got some new stuff with that... Popping ss Osis bs, Popping Far Osis bs, and Popping ss Legover bs (I'm also going to ask Matt Cross if he likes the name since it can't be called "Whipping" anymore.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L5A2SPU-Js[/youtube]
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 15 Jan 2014 22:40

Just talked to Matt. We almost immediately came up with a new name for Cloud Stepping set... "Dicking set".

That is all.
Nick Polini

Funblog

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 16 Jan 2014 08:15

I liked "popping" better, but I don't have a vote in the matter. Anyway, cool set.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 16 Jan 2014 10:48

Ken, I thought about the name when I was falling asleep last night. And then realized it wouldn't be respected by a lot of the serious players. So I'm going to go with "Popping". Thanks for putting the cherry on top of my decision.

But I have had that set on my mind all day and I can't wait to do some more tonight. Maybe film some.
Nick Polini

Funblog

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 16 Jan 2014 11:31

Popping blink please.

Kljopa
Post Master General

Post by Kljopa » 16 Jan 2014 15:24

Symp Airing is such a sick set!! hahah it's crazy

Aweomse gyro rev swirls. Big props on your late videos man!

Film some popping! Do you do a same leg dex as the cloud it sets from or opposite? I used to drill a muted pixie ss cloud> cloud pixie mirage, now I'm wondering if it is actually popping mirage.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 17 Jan 2014 22:23

Nice stuff lately!

What exactly is cloud stepping?

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 18 Jan 2014 09:11

Thanks a lot everyone :) I'm really stoked on my game recently. Feels great be hitting stuff I always wanted to hit!

Janis: The video I'm about to post had some Popping (Cloud Stepping) tricks in it and I filmed all the basics with Popping set into them. Will upload that video soon too.

But for now:

Highlights (all in the video):

:arrow: 10 Unique Spinning (I can definitely get more than 10.. will be trying for it)
:arrow: Alpine Popping Osis
:arrow: Toe ss Blink> Far Blink *rpt
:arrow: Drifter PR: 23
:arrow: Fairy Muted Far Blink bs (New on both)
:arrow: Vortex> Void bs
:arrow: 100% Gatesman-inspired links: Fairy ss Reverse Swirl> Swirling op Legover (strongside) and Fairy ss Reverse Swirl> Swirling Pickup (flipside) I tried to get the Swirling legover on flip, but my Swirl set was fucking up. I'll get it eventually. I also wanna repeat that so badly, like Evan did.
:arrow: Gyro Butterfly PR: 14
:arrow: Jacknife> Ripped Warrior bs (Was totally feeling a rpt on this! In the future. Not going to stress about it now. When it comes, it comes.)
:arrow: Spikehammer> Alpine Legobeater (strong) and Spikehammer> Alpine Tapdown (flip) My body doesn't let me hit flip Alpine Legbeater for some stupid asinine reason. Oh well, still happy I got the atomic set over my head on flip. That's the first time I've done that. It'll straighten itself out over time.
:arrow: Spinning Twirl bs (not new on either side, but the first time I've hit each side when I wasn't in Nikes :P) That trick feels crazy easy. No idea why, but I'm going to take advantage of that. Not that ADDs matter, but I think that's a 6? I know Ken told me Far Reverse Swirling stuff should get an extra ADD. I dont care though. It's a fun trick, so i will do it. Just thinking that this could make an easy ender for a Beast.
:arrow: Popping Far Dyno (Cloud G.Y.B.A.S.)... If this is an invention, then I want to call it ThighB.A.S. :P Even though it's the calf and not the thigh :D Either way, awesome trick.
:arrow: Void> Vortex bs! (Didn't think I could do it at first because Anssi told me it would be hard to do that drill, but he said I might be able to pull it off due to my crank. I think I'll get the drill once I train my Drifters more and hopefully training my drifters will lead to better Pdx Drifters.
:arrow: Some pretty sweet runs. Surprised with the one 32 contact run I had. Ran out of stamina though. Balls'ed. Whatever.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpeYjJMA9y0[/youtube]

This video was mainly inspired by Gatesman (all the Alpine Stepping and Fairy Blinks), Matt Cross (Popping tricks), Jay (Blinks), and Pipenberg/Landes (Obviously the Drifter stuff).

I did those runs with minimal 5 ADDs because I think I should be able to get consistent at hitting denser 20 to 30ish contact runs before I start tossing in 5's willy nilly. When I lived with Nathan Poopsinbongs, I remember that he would try to get runs around 60 contacts and not really have many 5's in them, just to get his consistency and run length up. So I wanted to start trying that too.

Can't wait to tackle Drifters. Whirls are still giving me trouble on flipside, hopefully Nate can help me figure those out when I go to PSU next weekend.

I'm gonna edit my Popping set video now and upload that sometime today. Also, going geocaching with Leon later on. Should be fun.

~Shred good, do cool stuff.

Edit: Here's the Popping video.. I included slow mo and tips for it in the end. It used to confuse the hell out of me when I first tried them. I understand them now, so I figured I'd spread the knowledge a bit.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK-jmpQmWhQ[/youtube]
Nick Polini

Funblog

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 18 Jan 2014 20:08

I saw Anssi, Dan, and Ken were posting their past videos in 3 year increments. I started filming stuff around 3 years ago, so I figured I'd do a video or 2 for every year, plus I'm bored and I'd like to see a video timeline. I don't expect anyone to watch any of these.. If you want to, go ahead.. but they're here because I wanted to make a timeline for myself to see my progress over the years.

December 2010
-This was really my first time making a real video. Pretty awful. But everyone starts from somewhere.

April 2010
-Local player, Corey Gerges and I made this video. We hit both of our first 5 ADDs in it! We were so stoked from that! I also was convinced that the Miraging Refractions I was doing were "Torques". I was such a dumb little fecal pellet.

July 2010

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rkFhs1eZiE[/youtube]

-This was a really sick session that my best non-footbag friend, Leon, filmed for us. Tyler is a doucher who doesn't kick anymore, unfortunately. Zach and I are friends again though! He was supposed to hit me up to shred around xmas break, but never did :/ But this session was great. Lots of fun. First time meeting Zach, then he later became my room mate and shred partner for a year.

September 2010: Funtastiks

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsMUWvjdHmk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZk8TGJOBdM[/youtube]

-I was so amped at this tourney. I took 1st place in intermediate routines AND circle comp! This pushed me crazy hard and I remember I actually started training at this point.

February 2011

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsafWtu3aYI[/youtube]

-My first 6 :/ Big time ADD-hunter at this point. Was more interested in hitting big tricks that nice runs, until Bob, Kevin and others talked some sense into me.

April 2011

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5xvb7kMQtQ[/youtube]

-This is the first time I actually started to practice BOPs, basically the end of my ADD-hunting days.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhQfJ7cfZ4Q[/youtube]

-This is a video I did with Stephan. He had a hell of a lot of potential, but bailed on the sport. Bummer.

November 2011
-Cranberry Jam! This was a fun one. My girlfriend sat in on this one and you can hear he laugh during the intro. First time she actually saw me play.

December 2011

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbIoynZhme8[/youtube]

-This is the video that cost me most of 2012.. I wanted to get in this video so badly, and Mark Monistere kept encouraging me, but I pushed myself too hard and developed awful shin splints that lasted and lasted and lasted. It was a bad year. My "end of the world"..

February 2012

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqWvNchqNAg[/youtube]

-As you can tell, I was trying to play through the shin splints here. Bad idea. Ended up costing me another 3 weeks recovery. My shin splints were due to bad form, fyi. So if you have pain in your legs that is bugging you on a daily basis, ask someone experienced to analyze your form. Matheiu GM pointed it out, and told me how to change it, which is the thing that saved my game. So thanks Mat. I feel bad that no one could have pointed his bad form out to save him from his knee problems that ended up making him quit the sport :/

March 2012

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR0-YUjp7oc[/youtube]

-This was stupid, but I was an idiot. Still had shin splints here, but hit this anyway :/ I'm smarter now.

December 2012

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZutVMTUJqM[/youtube]

-Shin splints were still active during this, but not as bad as before. I love how Ivan edited this video. Played in G-Units for most of this, which was mainly to heal my shins. It was alright, but I hated G-Units. I think my above-average crank level didn't agree with them. I lost everything in those. You can probably tell from this video, that they killed my game and let me cheat on a lot.

September 2013

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY4gmUJ07og[/youtube]

-Shin splints were more than gone by this point. Video to celebrate "World Footbag Day", the holiday which I created, that is accepted and celebrated by... some? :P

July 2013

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elauCkwELxk[/youtube]

-Another Ivan edit. I liked how he did it. He didn't :P Regardless, this is the result of my training for my first World Championships.

December 2013

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm_P8vWwrZ0[/youtube]

-This was my split video with Kemmer. Had a lot of fun doing this one. I can tell I improved a lot since this point even. I think It's a pretty significant amount even from before to after Worlds.

This was fun. It may annoy some people that I posted so many, but... it's my blog :P I didn't want to copy off of Anssi 100% either.

2014 has been outstanding for me so far. I'm antsy to see what else it holds for me :) Here's to a continuation of an awesome year.
Nick Polini

Funblog

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 20 Jan 2014 16:54

Don't you mean...
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote: This was fun. It may annoy some people that I posted so many, but... it's my blog :P I didn't want to copy off of Anssi 100% either.

2014 has been outstanding for me so far. I'm Anssi to see what else it holds for me :) Here's to a continuation of an awesome year.
Anywho, that's cool! That seems like something I'd eventually want to do with footage of me (meaning I guess that I should film more somehow).

Keep up the great work Nick! :D I'm excited to kick with you this now-coming weekend! And we're gonna have to kick in a circle together for sure!... Since it hasn't happened for the past ages.
April Tou
kicker, stitcher, footbag enthusiast, baker of PSUFC

"Drill until it's ingrained." -old Indian proverb according to a book I read

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 21 Jan 2014 07:20

Hey hey hey, I can not wait for to keek with you.
More to the point, thanks for all the inspiration blah blah blerggg and all that jazz for posting "The Chronicles of Nick: The Blender, the Whirl, and the Mobius." It makes me want to drill more, fuel for getting better blah blah blah, you've heard it before. So, without any sentimental gnome outfits,

Thanks.
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 21 Jan 2014 13:25

April: Thanks a lot :) I'm really excited for PSU shreds this weekend! Nice Anssi pun :P We will definitely ACTUALLY kick in the same circle this time lol

Ben: I laughed pretty hard at your "Chronicles of Nick: The Blender, The Whirl, and The Mobius" :D Excited to shred with you too! Cant wait to see everyone's improvements in person!

So, I kicked with Corey last night and my legs were still achey from the last session, Jan 17. I went hard during that. So I tried to just practice links of stuff that didn't feel awful. Got some pretty cool stuff. Didn't film though.. No biggie, hopefully I can get some stuff on tape this weekend at PSU. Hit a new set on bs and some tricks out of it... Surging set. So sick-looking and feels even cooler when I do it non-slurry.. I want this to be a big part of my game. It puts 2 of my strongest sets together, spins and stepping, so I think I can manage to work this in as I go.

Highlights:

:arrow: Bigwalk (Surging Butterfly) bs & bsos (New on both sides.. hit it strongside last year, but I'm pretty sure it was slurred.)
:arrow: Surge (Surging Mirage) bs (new on both)
:arrow: Surging Osis bs (new on both)
:arrow: Ducking Pickup> Pixie Clipper bs (I'm not great at Ducking single leg dexterity, dexing leg delays the bag tricks, like Pickup and Legover.. And if I do hit them, I almost always a BOP afterward. I want to get better at them, so I'll be doing more junk like this.
:arrow: Clipper Far Blink> Smear bs (I want to stop the BOPs after Blinks. Density city, homeboy.)
:arrow: Session ender (really happy about this): Pdx Drifter> Blur bs (As I've said, I haven't ever been great at Drifters. They are finally starting to click though. Mathieu G and I have been setting a bar for Drifters for the other to beat. He hit 16 a while ago, then I hit 23, and he recently hit 27, so I'm going to try to push that to a little over 30 next time I try them. This has been helping both of us get better at Drifters.

What's new in Nick's life...

Well, I went to the doctor's for my ADD follow-up and I was cleared :) Some things led the doctor to think that I do have it, but other's negated the possibility. She prescribed me "mindfulness", to get rid of some of my mental instabilities, which was cool. So I'll be practicing more mindfulness, since I already meditate and rake in a zen garden on a daily basis and play a singing bowl.

Also..... This Friday! Pixies concert with Nadiah! I'm so excited, I could pee-I just peed. So stoked for that. Then sleeping at Nadiah's that night and we'll be heading for PSU in the morning! So stoked to see my crew again. Still keeping it real, as I can tell from the videos they've been posting. And Mike Toolan is heading up too! Haven't kicked with him in a while either.

Off for now. Don't think I'm going to shred today. I want my legs to be fresh for this weekend.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 21 Jan 2014 13:49

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:I could pee-I just peed.
I'm glad I read the full text to catch gems like this.
Matt Kemmer

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 27 Jan 2014 15:09

Damn. It's been like a week since I posted. It's also been like a week since I played, so that checks out.

I went to PSU, as promised on Saturday. But first.. Nadiah and I went to the Pixies on Friday. Nothing short of incredible. And on top of an amazing show, I caught Paz's (new bass player.. also, original bass player from A Perfect Circle) bass pick at the end of the show.

So that was an amazing trophy. Funny story about how I got it though… So at the end of the show, this kinda pudgy, stocky kid with short stubby arms budged past me and a lost knocked me off my feet. He was trying to get to the front barrier to catch band stuff. I got right next to him in the front row. The stagehand went to throw a pick and it was coming right toward my hand, but I fucking missed it because I can't catch with my hands :P So, it felt like it went in slow motion, dropping on the step on the opposite side of the barrier. Slow mo fall.. slow mo bounce… and another slow mo bounce… then silence. A few people, including myself, started to reach for it but it was too far down. My hand was sort of close to it, but my arms weren't long enough. The stubby arm kid who budged into me was nowhere near it but it was funny to watch him try to reach. Then the stagehand came over to the pick and picked it up, ready to give it to someone.. As soon as he stood up from getting the pick, I loudly and quickly blurted out the only thing I could think to say at that moment… "THATWILLMAKEMYDREAMSCOMETRUE!" Pretty much all in one single word. The guy looks at me, smiles, and places it in my hand. I clenched it so tightly for about 3 minutes after I received it. It felt like I had just caught an extremely rare insect and I was in disbelief and I didn't want to lose it or anyone else to see it. I squeezed so tightly that I almost cut my hand open on it. When I finally opened my hand to show Nadiah, there was just short of a small gash on my palm :P

Anyway, so that was great. Then PSU the next morning. Even though it was a small jam, it was one of the most fun jams I've ever been to. We created a new drinking game, called SQIRT (Squeeze Quickly Into Round Tunnel). It was an absolute scream. We laughed almost non-stop that whole night. There are a bunch of pics on the Penn State Footbag Facebook.. Everyone just straight up had a blast. We will be sure to bring SQIRT to future jams. Ivan is engraving the rules into a plaque, so we have them forever. You'll see it eventually, I'm sure :P

I didn't shred amazingly, but I had a lot of fun. The squash court floors were so slippery for me. I had no traction. Everyone else seemed to be fine. I guess I just suck or something. Whatever.

Highlights from the weekend:

:arrow: Strongside Symposium Blink (new)
:arrow: Airing Toe (new)
:arrow: Nate taught me his trick for Drifters and Pdx Drifters, now they're so much easier for me..
:arrow: Gold badge in Spinning: 15 Uniques (video below)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzi_SnsR8pY[/youtube]

Just an amazing weekend. I love the PSU Crew. They're all improving like crazy.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Today, I had a session with Corey Gerges. I got him to push his game a bit. His highlight that was my favorite was PLO> Pixie Clipper. He also hit Flux and Quantum Osis. We mainly drilled.

Highlights:

:arrow: Alpine Magellan bs (new on both)
:arrow: Alpine PLO bs (new on both)
:arrow: flipside Symposium Blink (new) got a few on strongside too. Timing is weird for these.
:arrow: Super controlled Swivel on strongside, flipside Swivels are getting easier to hit though. I hit about 3.
:arrow: Practiced Pdx Whirl> Stepping Mirage bs a handful of times
:arrow: Fear x6 bs (did some other Fairy work too)
:arrow: Fairy far Reverse Swirl (new) only strongside
:arrow: Pdx DLOs and Pdx Drifters were getting easier today.

Getting a drug test for my new job tomorrow. That's all for now.
Nick Polini

Funblog

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 28 Jan 2014 15:56

I had my drug test this morning. Forgot to study and got a C- on it. Just kidding. I haven't.. ya know.. done drugs, so I think I passed.

After the test I went home and got a splinter in my toe that took around an hour to get out. Oh my god that sucked. Then I had cereal and pet my kitty, then had more cereal, then watched some Gordon Bevier videos. That mofo is still a huge idol of mine. I decided to write down some Bev-esque links and drill them. Really only tackled one of them, and drilled some single concepts afterward.. But it was a dope session and I added a new element to my game that I'm happy about.

Highlights:

:arrow: Bev Link: Diving Butterfly> Spinning Osis> Pdx Drifter.. 5x on each side.
:arrow: This lead to drilling Spinning Osis> Pdx Whirl bs a bunch of times. Slowly starting to figure out that blasted trick.
:arrow: Then I drilled Pdx Whirl from Clipper.. that went fairly well.
:arrow: Played around with some strings and was pleased. I don't know why I try to throw in Blurry Whirls right now and other junk that doesn't click well yet when I have a pretty solid and stylish game. I had a whole run that just consisted of Swirl tricks, Rev Swirl tricks, spins, some Blenders and a little bit of shuffle. But it was mostly stuff like Revup> Far Blink> ss Blink> Far Swirl> Stepping ss Mirage> ss muted Blender> Blink etc… I really love that stuff and have to just continue to fall into it.
:arrow: My new concept I added to my game was Gyro Rev Swirls and gyro Swirls from Zoom sets. Rather than just bailing to Zooming ss Clipper, the Zooming ss Rev Swirls and Swirls and Blinks felt like it added a dense area when one would expect to see me bail to Zooming ss Clip or something. I really like these and will use them more often..
:arrow: New trick: Gyro Symposium Blink (strongside only) Felt pretty great and not very tough, now that I understand Symposium Blinks. Maybe I'll try flipside soon. I don't know if I'm ready for that yet though. Maybe once I hit a few more Symposium Blinks on flipside.
:arrow: Concluded the session with PROPER Fairy sets. I am starting to get those now. They feel pretty good and I feel like I look similar to Evan when he does them. So.. that probably means I'm doing something right question mark. Ended on Pdx Mirage> Fear> Fudge BSOS.

My game is starting to take shape. It's really nice to be able to experience something like this. I played so different at PSU this weekend due to the floors. Even Clavens commented on Nate's Fairy Gold badge video and said he was amazed since the floors were always dusty :/ Anyway, I'm gonna go make a kaysodilla.
Nick Polini

Funblog

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 29 Jan 2014 18:53

Short post, BUT! A video to back it. Had a session this morning. Hit some ok runs. Not a lot of variety in this video because I spent some time just trying to do some cool Fairy links mid run and whatnot. Also, Wanted to practice some mid run Gyro Rev Swirls and Torques. My god, my Torques got terrible. I need to work on them next. Didn't do any Drifters in this.. no idea why. I also promised myself I wouldn't really do any more step ducking stuff until I can hit 50 Ripwalks.

Really starting to like Axle. Did one combo that I think looks really cool, Spinning Rake> Axle. You'll see that in the video. Anywho, there's some okay density in this video.. Wish I would have done some Drifters and other variety stuff. Next time. Enjoy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg-ZjeUUBHk[/youtube]

Oh and I'm starting my new job on Tuesday. Not stoked. But at least I have a few days of vacation so I can go to some Jams. Specifically, NOLA and USO.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 30 Jan 2014 08:57

good shit homie. i feel like i didn't get to see any of this kind of stuff in person last weekend, which was too bad. but it looks good.

I think 50 rips is a good idea. My best is in the 50's I think.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 30 Jan 2014 14:40

Yo Nate, thanks for the comment. Yeah, I was retarded off of my game last weekend due to the slippery surfaces in the court. Thanks again for the Pdx Drifter tips. I found that they apply to a lot of stuff in footbag, and some stuff has really gotten loads easier because of it. I hope you have a good time in CA and also hope you're able to shred every now and again! I'd like to see you fucking shit up hardcore, footbag-wise. I'll miss ya for the time you're gone, but it was great to see you and hang out and shred last weekend. Godspeed.

So today, I had a hankering to get better at Osis> Inspinning. I saw that Lon and Pete and Bevier all use it as a big bail from Osis and I realized I need more stuff to bail out of Osis with, instead of Zooms, because I'm sure they get boring to watch in my game. Anyway, so I practiced those for a little while, then moved on to some other stuff that I mentioned above, that uses Nate's tip.

Highlights:

:arrow: Had a cool run with Pdx Drifter> Blender> Pdx Whirl> stuff> Ripstein> Blender> confusion that I was still in control> hand catch..
:arrow: Spinning Osis> Inspinning Clipper bs several times
:arrow: Spinning Osis> Inspinning Osis bs several times
:arrow: Messed with some other stuff using Nate's tip for Pdx Drifter… (Tip: Dex as far over your other knee (side) as possible)
:arrow: Starting to learn to bail using Drifters
:arrow: Pdx Whirl> Pdx Blender> Pdx Whirl (Going to hit that drill soon)
:arrow: Pdx Whirl x5 and they were all not THE! :D :D :D

Tricks that got so much easier today using Nate's tip:

-Pdx Drifter
-Pdx Torque
-Toe Torque (crazy easy butter pancakes now with Nate's tip)
-Pdx DLO
-Toe DLO
-Bubba Beater
-Pdx Eggbeater
-Toe Eggbeater

Well, that's all for now… I… um… really like this sport and stuff.
Nick Polini

Funblog

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 01 Feb 2014 22:40

HEY!

*erm* hi.

I am sitting. Man, this post is taking me forever to write since I've been helping a bunch of intermediate players on Facebook. I love doing that though.

Anyway, today, session at Kutztown with Nadiah and Mike. Super fun sesh. Mike pushed me into some shit that I always make excuses for, like "I suck at those, so I won't do them." I only sucked at them because I told myself I sucked at them. That's never good. I'm glad Mike pushed me into the stuff. Nadiah was doing well today. She hit some Clippers bsos and some short tiltless links. Her control is getting better though. Work in progress. Mike was hitting some dope stuff too. I love his Pdx Whirls. So jealous.

Highlights:

:arrow: Reverse Swirl> Pdx Eggbeater BS, almost BSOS (I LOVE this link)
:arrow: Ripstein> Pdx Eggbeater (one side, but I'll hit flip real soon. Only tried it twice)
:arrow: Gravedigger BSOS (best BSOS I've hit of Gravedigger)
:arrow: Blurry Torque BSOS! (This trick.. is.. easy now?
:arrow: Pixie ss Illusion> Smudge *rpt! Hit it twice! One of the ones where I always told myself, "It's too hard". Thanks Mike.
:arrow: Blizzard> Omelet bs (again, thanks Mike!)
:arrow: Vortex> Spender second try.. messed up on the Vortex the first time.
:arrow: Double Spinning Clipper bs a few times each. Stoked on that. They are feeling much easier.
:arrow: Ducking Pdx Torque strongside (like BANG, Lon style… Felt like I really attacked it. Footed it on flipside. But I get the trick now, so I'll be working on it.
:arrow: Johnny link (FINALLY!): Fairy Ducking Clipper> Far Blink (one side) Will get the other side soon. I think I got it. Just didn't try today.
:arrow: Long run with Pdx Torque BSOS (attacking the bag on each side and not pulling the Osis at all.. best BSOS I've pulled of Pdx Torque) Pdx Drifter, Spinning Osis> Inspinning Osis
:arrow: BSOS'ed Osis> Inspin a few times. Love that link.

My game is feeling so strong lately. Some surreal shit has been happening, footbag-wise, for me. For instance, Lon Smith said this to me last night: "Your game is astounding, and you might get even better." People are commenting on my videos, saying that I have "Nick Landes stalls". When I read that, my brain went boom for a minute. All this time playing footbag, and it's starting to pay off. My game used to be terrible. One person admitted blatantly to me, that my game was hard to watch. Now people are saying my game is "fun to watch" and "smooth".

Another cool thing that's been happening: Well, first off, when I was a noob (I guess I'm finally not a noob anymore!) I used to ask better players for tips and stuff. And lately, I've had a huge influx of new to intermediate players coming to ME with their problems and asking for tips. I've been able to help all of them and it feels great. I really feel like they're all on their way. My point is, that I seem to have switched roles! So cool! I made a late new years resolution to help out as many new to itermediate players this year as I can. I see big things for footbag and footbag players in 2014.
Nick Polini

Funblog

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 02 Feb 2014 10:08

You are getting better and better at a fairly rapid rate, which is always going to inspire people to get in touch. Also the fact that you're happy to spend some time with "noobs", which not everyone does, either through a lack of time, or simply a lack of desire to play an influential role.

Hope to see your game turn into some strong competitive results. I think that's got to be your next big step, starting strutting your stuff on the "big stages" of footbag...