Nick Pasquarello (from PA to OH)

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Pasquar
Fearless

Nick Pasquarello (from PA to OH)

Post by Pasquar » 21 Dec 2010 21:25

Ok, so I've been really putting off starting one of these for a long time. I've been getting pretty deep into freestyle this past year (2010). Nick Polini officially introduced me to freestyle 2 summers ago and from that summer I started to gradually get into basic tricks but didn't start getting serious until around this time last year when I got some lavers.

I started off this year traveling to Ecuador for a study abroad program, and I started kicking more or less every other day or so with a legitimate 32 panel Nick so graciously gave me. Being in south america over winter was SO beneficial in my game because I was able to play outside in gorgeous weather all the time.

Since getting back in the spring, I've been kicking pretty consistently mostly solo but also sessioning with the few players Columbus, OH has to offer (which IS GROWING now :D ) and kicking with PA folk when I'm back for breaks

As for my game, I'm currently a decent tiltless player, have legovers, pickups, mirages, illusions, atws, butterflies and symp mirages consistent on both sides.

other tricks: clippers (NOT strong on flip side, though I can get them fairly consistently), pdx mirages (solid strong, flipside probably 40%), pdx legovers (flipside a bit messy due to weak clippers), pdx illusion (same story), spinning (flipside isn't too bad), whirls, xbd rakes (working on bs), osis (need work)

have decent stepping set both sides, needs work though, pixie set, atomic set, quantum set (all only strong side), can duck and dive strong side only (unless from a toe set, another product of weak flip clippers),

some "bigger" tricks I've hit: PS mirage, pdx flail, gyro mirage, blur, blurrier, stepping clipper (bs), ripwalk, legbeater, atom smasher, atomic tapping mirage, toe blur, tripwalk, pdx whirl, barrage, double spinning toe, spinning xbd rake, pixie rake, magellan, DLO, smear, dimwalk, pixie ss mirage, ducking butterfly (have hit bsos), pdx ducking mirage, ducking osis, and some others

I've hit PS whirl once, it was a glorious day, only 5 add I've hit

So today I've been on modified basically since I got back from NYJ like 5 hours ago, hahaha. Needless to say NYJ 2010 gave me good times, motivation to step up my game, and enough shred to last a while (or at least for a day or so :o Some stuff listed up there I hit first time in Chicago
:arrow: toe blur
:arrow: xbd rake bsos
:arrow: pixie ss mirage
:arrow: atomic tapping mirage

Wasn't trying a whole lot of new stuff @ NYJ though. I'm really trying to get some longer strings because consistency is something I lack and I'm trying to work on. I can hit a decent amount of 4 add tricks and whatnot, but I need to work on getting 15-20 contacts without bailing to toe so often (and mirage for that matter).

Gonna start drilling asap. Gonna start with flip clippers for sure, and I also need to drill osis like mad. Nick and Zach noticed looking over some footage of some strings last night that osis is a very weak component, especially because I TRY to use it as a saver so often.

That's it for now, I need to.. get off modified for a little while lol

comments/advice/suggestions for drills are very much encouraged :)
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 21 Dec 2010 21:29

oh shit! just changed from "hack fiend" to "shredalicious"

word! 8)
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 23 Dec 2010 09:53

Damn. On break from work and forgot to bring my lavers :(

Was totally planning on a small session during lunch, but no dice

Have my shorts on and everything, too lol
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 23 Dec 2010 10:53

When we kicking? Nick you an I should do a Xmas eve session

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 Dec 2010 13:26

did you meet any other players in Ecuador? I'm moving to Chile next year, hopefully I can find some players there. Good to hear your game is improving plenty.

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 24 Dec 2010 06:57

I agree with the xmas eve session

and boyle, I unfortunately never came across anyone who kicked while in Ecuador. Much like here, I got a lot of baffled looks and responses, as no one (I'm guessing) had really heard of/seen the sport before

sorry :? hope you find someone or get someone involved in kicking when ur down in Ecuador. though it was beautiful every day and ideal kicking weather, shredding alone is only fun for so long.. and actually, I don't know if this is the case in chile, but Ecuador is something like 3,000 meters above sea level, so sessions were pretty short generally because your lungs get tired FAST
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 25 Dec 2010 10:04

okay, christmas eve session last night @ nick's: legs still really hurt. worked on just getting longer strings as we did one drops in a pretty confined space. gettin xbd rake bsos kinda often now. really excited about that because I'd like to use a good deal of raking in the long run (of life that is :P )

other than that, not too much. legs were still screaming in pain from NYJ and a small "exhibition" I put on for scotty (a family friend and my favorite person ever) who was blown away, even though my legs hurt even worse that night, haha

had about a 45 minute session about an hour ago. legs still hurt! but I mainly worked on drilling flipside clippers.
did a lot of:
:arrow: right toe>ss clipper rpt
:arrow: clipper>ss clipper rpt (with magic hop, trying to come down with it more, not KICKING it, as is my problem)
:arrow: flip clipper stall
:arrow: flip stepping ss clipper

did a few tiltless drills:
:arrow: mirage>pickup bsos rpt
:arrow: illusion>legover bsos rpt

didn't even try to do sets other than stepping, just mainly drills a lot of flip clippers. ended the session with:
:arrow: pdx illusion bsos (first time I hit a flip pdx illusion, then drilled it the 2nd time :P , took a few tries but I'm happy overall)

thinking about bringing my lavers to christmas dinner at mom-mom's :wink:
Last edited by Pasquar on 01 Jan 2011 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 29 Dec 2010 23:59

Sweet! Glad you have this now! Yeah dude, like I said, I keep seeing crazy improvements in your shred every time you come back to PA. Probably going to be tripled by the next time you come back due to all the new players you're going to be shredding with/teaching. Well, I'll hit you up tomorrow, but I think Zach and I are gonna kick in my attic. If you don't work tomorrow, you should join us. Peace dude.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 30 Dec 2010 18:33

dude! jarae and I are totally down to shred tomorrow! you game?
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 30 Dec 2010 20:10

Just text me and give me a time and all that then I'm down.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 31 Dec 2010 14:49

Okay, so just had a session with Nick, Luis, Jackson, and JARAE. Jarae is a friend I've had for a very long time. We know each other from both doing gymnastics a while ago (side note, I have an extensive history with gymnastics, just fyi). He just got into freestyle last night basically. Hooked him up with Lavers and Nick gave him a bag (if you read Nick's blog, it's all there, lol).

Jarae lives just outside Philadelphia, PA and it down to shred!! He just got a modified account today and has a thread under "getting started". Feel free to hit him up!

So, some important stuff from last night and today:

Jarae's hitting toe stalls easily bs, hits clippers bs, and bsos a few times, mirages, and was setting for spinning VERY easily at the end of the session tonight. He's a natural stepper and spinner :P

Nothing too exciting from me:
:arrow: pdx illusion bsos (like 2nd try!)
:arrow: whirl>pdx whirl (went for a flipside whirl after, but to no avail)
:arrow: gyro legover
:arrow: dimwalk>spinning rake :!: :!:

other than that, working on longer strings and using more stuff involving flip clippers; flip spinning is feeling better. I hardly drop on osis anymore!! I'm so excited about it! Zach and Nick pointed out that I dropped on osis attempt quite a bit, so I've been focussing on them more and hardly drop them! I'm hitting them bsos in a lot of strings now. I'm trying to drill them, but that's another story.
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 01 Jan 2011 10:51

Yo Nick sounds like you've improved even since NYJ that's awesome man! I know what you mean about never dropping osis, I find that I go through phases of hitting osis 49 out of 50 times and maybe like, 30 out of 50. I'm convinced it's a mental thing, just because of the timing and lack of vision. Keep up the drills too man! Can't wait to shred with you again.

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 01 Jan 2011 17:07

props nick

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 01 Jan 2011 19:47

Hey Nick, It was great shredding this break with you. Sick we helped Jarae get into freestyle. I can't wait to shred with you after this semester's over. Every time you come back, you surprise the hell out of me by upping your skill by a shitload. I'm really glad you're sticking with it. Teach Ryan all that you can and keep shredding with your crew. Also keep posting in your blog, I'll keep reading. Safe travels dude. Watch out for those pigs :P
Nick Polini

Funblog

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 02 Jan 2011 05:34

thanks dante! really appreciate it and can't wait to kick with you again!

thanks zach! not just for the props but for being awesome and giving me some good tips

NICK! I honestly think shredding with you is probably my 2nd favorite thing about coming home (just after my family :lol: ) But seriously, I have to kick a lot solo back in OH, which I don't particularly enjoy, and being home, I always know I'm 5 minutes away from potential shred :P . Thanks for teaching me so much of what I know and spreading the sport like wildfire here in PA.

As for updates.. none really. Haven't kicked since last post and I'm just sitting tight here for a bit before I have to make the treacherous drive back to Columbus, OH :( Break is over far too soon, but it was amazing! NYJ was definitely the biggest highlight and I can't wait to shred with my peeps in OHIO!

Mike, Brandon, Ryan (Jiffy), and/or Danny >> I'M COMING BACK TO OHIO TODAY, SO HIT ME UP WHEN YOU WANT TO SHRED :!: :!: :!:
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 02 Jan 2011 11:33

That definitely means a lot man. I always look forward to the very day you come home to shred, like weeks in advance. Like I said, it's so exciting to see how far you come with footbag each time we kick after a long semester or so at college. Kinda sucks that the day you drive back, Leon actually wants to shred lol. You still have to meet some of the new guys/gals too (Stefan, Bailey, Andrew, Eddie, Evan, etc...). And by the time you come back again, there's probably going to be more because Eddie has a handful of friends who are looking to take hacky sack to the next level :twisted: Plus I can't wait to see how sick Jarae gets 8) Keep kicking hard.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 03 Jan 2011 03:36

quick kick when I arrived back in Columbus, just enough to loosen my legs up. did yield some fun stuff though

:arrow: xdb rake>flip xbd rake (getting them bsos like all the time now, but
this is the first I hit back to back)
:arrow: BENT RAKE! (tried bs but wasn't getting it, that trick's a mindfuck)
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 04 Jan 2011 05:04

had a session last night for about an hour and a 1/2. was gonna update this thing after, but didn't have time, so I don't remember everything :?

from what I do remember- pretty decent:
:arrow: drilled clippers a lot
:arrow: drilled osi (could only get about 2 from both sides, but it's progress. for the most part, they're looking 100.. no I'm lying, maybe about 75% better)
:arrow: I remember having a run of 2 and 3 adds that was about 15-20 contacts I think :?:
:arrow: muted atomic ss mirage (not hard, but just fun)
:arrow: ZOOMING SETS! first time I've truly spent any amount of time on them.. took just a bit of thinking after a few shitty ones to get a couple decent ones. Looking at Nick's over break helped. I just caught them or maybe went to toe a few times, and tried bs but only got one decent one caught, but they don't feel that awkward because I've been working my flip osis a lot
:arrow: stepping ss clipper bsos (flipside's still giving me trouble)
:arrow: worked on flip quantum sets. suprisingly not too bad, considering how terrible my flip pixie is
:arrow: also worked on flip atomic. still bad, but looking better. caught a few of them (3 or so) but they need work

I also accidentally broke the house bong when I was resting :oops: so I have to get a new one today. it's such bullshit because that bong was truly already broken for a while: the base was basically saran wrapped and my roommate SOMEHOW broke the 6 percolator chamber in the middle. but I eventually did it in and now have to invest a few hundred $ now, meh.

And class starts today for me around 10:30. Biology>yuck

later blog
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 10 Jan 2011 19:13

good god, haven't updated in a while :oops:

I've been kicking the past couple days. my spot in my house isn't that bad with my small carpet, and it's probably helping my balance/control

worked on a LOT of sets

:arrow: atomic bs (bsos a few times)
:arrow: quantum bs (a bit awkward on flip side, but getting used to it pretty quick)
:arrow: whirling set ss, almost bs
:arrow: stepping bs
:arrow: pixie (trying bs, getting there-ish)
:arrow: pendulous sets! I mess around with them a lot but I began doing way more with them earlier today. ducking [endulous is really natural. working on pendulous ducking osis as a new 5 add to go for (it is 5, right?)

also

:arrow: setting better from flip clipper (flip clipper getting way stronger in general). was able to do ducking clipper from flipside for the first time in a while, and they feel a lot more controlled
:arrow: better bothsidedness :o
:arrow: longer strings

there was a bunch more I did, but I forget most of it :?

go me.

brownies are almost done :D
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 10 Jan 2011 19:26

Damn son! Those both-sided sets are looking sick! And longer strings sounds promising too! Really cool to read this one because it sounds like you bs'ing all of your main sets. And props with the new pendulous stuff. They would look rad in your style and I hope you keep with those.

And yeah, I think Pendulous ducking osis is a 5. Keep it up man! Your blog is always fun to read!
Nick Polini

Funblog