TMNT Have Nothing On This Shredder

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Derek
Fearless

TMNT Have Nothing On This Shredder

Post by Derek » 22 Apr 2012 22:41

I am a low level tiltless player who has been playing for 4 years now. Got a bit more serious about freestyle after 2 years of kicking. I lost my job recently, so I have been shredding a lot more than I ever have. I had the oppurtunity to have a solo session with Brian Sherrill last weekend, which was the best sesh I have had to date. And the things I witnessed were mind blowing. The only other time I have played with higher leveled peeps was when I was still somewhat new to freestyle footbag. Now it is all I want to do.

EDIT: High Tiltless/ Low Guiltless

Hit List:

2 Adds
-ATW(Both)
-Orbit(Both)
-Pixie(Both)
-Legover(Both)
-Pick-up(Both)
-Clipper(Both)
-Mirage(Both)
-SS Mirage(Both)
-Illusion(Both)
-SS Illusion(Both)
-Pincher(One)
-Pendulum(Both-ish)

3 Adds
-Pixie Legover(Both)
-Pixie Mirage(Both)
-Pixie SS Switch(Both)
-Pixie SS Pick-up(Both)
-Mixer(Both)
-SS Mixer(Both)
-Pixie SS Mirage(Both)
-DATW(One)
-Double Switch(One)
-Pixie Pick-Up(Both)
-Ducking Mirage(Both-ish)
-Symposium Mirage(Both)
-Ducking Switch(Both-ish)
-Paradox Mirage(Both)
-Paradox Illusion(Both)
-Pixie Illusion(Both)
-Pixie Clipper(Both)
-Butterfly(Both-ish)
-Symposium Illusion(One)
-Eggbeater(Both)
-Pixie ss Illusion(One)

4 Adds(Rarer)
-Pixie DLO(Both)
-Pixie Eggbeater(One)
-Pixie Ducking SS Mirage(One)
-Pixie Ducking Mirage(Both-ish)
-Pixie Ducking Switch(Both-ish)
-Pixie Butterfly(Both-ish)
-Symposium Mixer(One)
-Ducking Paradox Mirage(One)
-Ducking Symposium Mirage(One)
-Ducking Paradox Illusion(One)
-Paradox Miraging Switch(One)

5 Adds(I shouldn't do them)
-Pixie Ducking Butterfly
Last edited by Derek on 08 Mar 2013 09:52, edited 11 times in total.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 22 Apr 2012 23:10

Nice repertoire.
I'm sure Brian probably told you this, but you'll want to get all of those one-sided tricks both sides before trying to progress onto other things. The sooner the better. Eliminate any "bad side". Also try to shred with him as often as possible -- he'll make a great hack role model.
I look forward to seeing how you progress :)
Welcome!

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 23 Apr 2012 00:05

I'll be reading your blog for sure. I have been playing steadily for almost a year now, and we seem to be at about the same level. Looking at your trick selection I imagine your toe game is going to get really good really fast!

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 24 Apr 2012 13:32

Why thank you Erik. Yeah, my toe game started progressing a bit quicker than I would have liked, so I have been trying to get it so I just hit everything back-to-back when drilling. But my Clippers were very sketch to say the least for the longest time(Been hitting Clippers for only about 6 months now, and before it was always caught on the heel), except now I think I am getting the proper form. So that has been my focus for the time being. It's ridiculous that I have cleanly hit Pixie Ducking SS Mirage> Pixie Legover> Pixie DLO(Once), but can't even Clipper twice in a row or hit it back-to-back. My goal by the end of the summer is to have shred with the Stanford crew about 4 or 5 times. Also might be going to Canada sometime over the summer :wink: , not too sure though(Money may be an issue).

Reilley: You think we are about the same level?? I'm flattered, but looking at your blog you seem to be a decent amount of paces ahead of me. My toe game can only carry me so far. I'll definitely be keeping up with yours as well, it's nice to know what lies around the corner. Plus yours is done quite well. If you are ever in Cali, I'd love a session. And you'll be the first to know if I ever head out to Washington.

-April 24th

ALL I WANT TO DO IS PRACTICE THESE CLIPPERS!!!!!!! Tuesdays and Thursdays I get down with a group of buddies at the CC I attend after class. Just circle kicking with some freestyle here and there whenever the bag comes my way or my friend Allen's. I love and hate these sessions. Last night I finally discovered my Clipper, and that is all I can think about. When I got home after the sesh, I went straight into my room where I drilled 'em for 20 minutes. I know this is a good Clipper cause I have never felt this burn! Inside stalls kinda just prep you for what you are in store for. Tapping my legs out so soon in the day is a bit of a drag, but just gotta wait till tomorrow....
Time machines need to be invented already, or at least time forward machines. I really think I can be hitting them back-to-back cleanly by the end of May, but don't quote me on that(School may slow me down).
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 24 Apr 2012 13:41

Sounds like good progress. I second Erik's recommendation to develop your flipside immediately.

If my work travel ever gets approved, I'll let you know when I make it out to your neck of the woods. I'll be in Redding and Sacramento in the same week, so whichever is closer, you should come shred with me.

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 24 Apr 2012 16:53

Ken: Grazi! Once I start drilling like normal, I'm gonna make flipside a priority on all my moves. Sacramento is much closer, but if shizz goes down, I'd be down for either or both. I would LOVE to shred with you man. I cannot thank you enough for your Fearless Kids video. I have been drooling over it since you posted it, just makes me wanna shred. Much props on a very inspirational film.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 26 Apr 2012 14:30

Clippers, Clippers, Clippers

So I lied about to myself about giving my legs a break, the need to practice my Clippers was too dire. Yesterday, I got down for about 30 minutes(2 seperate times), started off with kicking for 10-15 minutes and then dove into the Clips right after that. I realized that I was starting to put too much strain on my support leg(Left), and decided I would work my flipside ATW's and Orbit's to try and equal things out while still taking it easy. My support leg was just utterly destroyed after I showered and cooled down from the second session. The rest of the day I had to constantly keep stretching, plus I ate 2 banana's and a crap load of protein.

When I woke up this morning, I was releaved that my legs were just sore. Not deathly or overly sore, and not just a little sore. Sore. After my class, we normally do a circle thing, but I wasn't really feeling it and other dudes didn't show. So luckily I didn't have to force myself through that. Plus, got more time to work on my Clippers! Now I know I didn't explain how well I did yesterday, but that's cause today was such a big jump from it. I did the same as yesterday, with the two sessions starting with kicking then moving to Clipper and flipeside ATW/Orbit. Before today, I could only hit Clips with a sandbag, but like I said that was before today. Hit it twice with the metal filled, once cleanly and once not so cleanly. That was just at the end of the shred though. WITH the sandbag I was able to hit the Clips pretty consistantly for me. I would catch about 80% of the attempts, and of those 80% I would catch an additional one(2 Clippers after one another on the same foot) 70% of the time. The most I was able to hit consecutively was 3, but I did that twice in a row(3 in a row. Drop. 3 in a row) on two occasions. I know I shouldn't have tried, but I also hit a near DLO/Mixer(Right? Set from Clipper then catch with DLO/Mixer)! Flipside shizz was pretty decent as well. And luckily my legs don't feel that horrible at all anymore, just some soreness in the support(Left) of course.

I promise my updates will become less confusing. Won't be shredding till Saturday though.
Side note: Platinum OG Kush is officially gonzo :cry: Gonna be taking some tolerance breaks here and there.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 30 Apr 2012 16:48

FUCK SCHOOL SESSION.

So I did end up playing on Saturday, but just a little circle kicking with cousins of mine. Did hit a Pixie Illusion though, first time I tried it too. But today was actually really awesome. Instead of going to class today, I said fuck it and had a sesh at one of my favorite spots, Crawford Park. Now I know I should have went, but finals are right around the corner so all we ever do is review(Literally, not the best school but it's something). So I set up my beats and got to business.

I was really trying to take it easy and just have a super long shred, so I focused on Clippers and kicking with some sporadic freestyle runs. My Clippers were looking pretty alright, hit 5 in a row(Personal best)! I did a lot of consecutive Clippers as well as Inside Stall> Clipper repeat. And to mix things up I also did Clipper> Inside Stall repeat(Makes a big difference for me). Towards the end I also tried to do Clipper> far Legover(Right?), but I thought I was getting a bit too far ahead of myself. I also worked my flipside ATW's and Orbit's which was pretty successful. Felt like my flip was getting better than my strong side. I got down for about 3.5 hours, with a couple breaks. Overall, it was a dope session. Not the most impressive, but dope.

I feel like I should have included this in the first post.
My record for most consecutive kicks is 622(At the moment), and I average at least 50 kicks every time.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 30 Apr 2012 17:15

just saw this blog :)
sounds great about the clippers, soreness is very expected when using new muscles for new tricks. And it will likely continue as you build clipper strength, just try to make sure you don't get *too* sore.

green cup is getting closer and closer, so keep on your practice regiment.
there will be many high level players at the event, including justin dale, chris dean, and david clavens. of course us stanford guys too.

sad about the POG kush, but great dank is always around ;)
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 30 Apr 2012 19:32

Thanks Brian. Yeah, I hate over doing it. Instead of being tapped for the day, it ends up being multiple. I'm getting better at gauging the tole footbag has on my body, so hopefully that doesn't happen for a while.

I know dude, I'M SO PUMPED! I probably won't be much better than the last time we got down, but I'm beyond stoked to meet more beastly ass players like yourself. I'll have some bomb for the Cup for sure :wink:

I would come and shred with you Stanford guys, but I've had shizz to do when you guys get down(Tue-Thur-Sat, yeah?). After Green Cup, I'll be sure to make a few appearances.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 02 May 2012 16:28

Bear Bag Session

So yesterday I had the regular circle kicking with the dudes from the CC. Shizz went pretty well, hit everything I wanted to besides a double DATW. My buddy Allen hit Butterfly> opp Butterfly which was pretty impressive. Today though, I finally got the Bear Bag that I ordered. Greatest fucking bag that I have used so far, my strings were constantly longer than I average. Celebrations took place many times today, it was freakin' shred-tastic. There are a couple of strings that I think I should post, but they are like 50+ contacts. Maybe next time.

BSOS
-Pick-up> Mirage*
-Switch> Mirage*(Of course)
-ATW> Orbit> SS Mirage*
-Mixer> Switch(Yes that means I hit flipside Mixer!)
-Pixie Switch
-Pixie Switch> Pixie Mirage
(*Went on to hit both sides an addition 5-10 times)

Newly Hit
-Flipside Mixer
-Symp Mirage
-Flipside Pixie ATW
-Pixie Pick-Up

PLUS!
-Pixie Ducking SS Mirage(Hit it 4 seperate times! And it was the first time I hit it in Lavers!)
-Smog(Hit it twice)

My Clippers got a hell of a lot better as well. I was able to hit Inside Stall> Clipper repeat 5 times in a row! And I could only match my consecutive Clipper record of 5. This bag has completely changed my game for the better, Brian is one hell of a stitcher! Just from the session today, I feel like I have progressed quite a lot. I am beginning to get very comfortable with my level of play, but once my Clippers are down for both sides I'll be feeling BALLER.
I know my updates aren't really in-depth, but I don't like sitting at the computer for too long if I don't have to.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 07 May 2012 09:39

I’m having difficulty figuring this thing out, I get that I am suppose to post on progress. But how exactly does one go about it? I have read through quite a few footblogs, and I get it but then I don’t. Like yesterday, I got down with Brian Sherrill and Dustin Rhodes. If you thought The Avengers was awesome, watching these two get down was even better. I feel like the session was amazing, didn’t hit anything new besides some more in-depth runs. My flipside stuff was being really weird, at least for my Pixie sets, but I worked with it. I feel like all-in-all my skill as a bagger went up a notch, as far as control and all that jazz. Which happens every time I have gotten down with someone far superior than me. It kind of blows knowing that I could have been hitting these guys up for the past 2 years, but I am so happy to be shredding with them now. So it all worked out. I need to hit up Stanford on a Saturday sometime, being able to see two different styles of shreddage at once was mind-blowing. From Brian’s constant 50-80 contact super flowy strings, or Dustin hitting 30+ Ripwalks back-to-back. Even got to see a Ripped Warrior for the first time in person, hit by Dustin. So seeing an additional few sets of shred styles would be epic.

All it made me want to do was shred until my legs implode, then try and continue. I know that with time and substantial practices, I will eventually get to the level I want. I am not impatient at all, my first couple more dedicated years were strictly for 1 and 2 adds, didn’t even attempt a 3 add till I felt like I was ready(Which was in the last 8 months). But now the pace is moving a bit quicker. Which is why I never want to stop playing! In the last 6 months, my game has exploded, 3 adds were just a thing of my imagination. Now I’m starting to get a little Guiltless thing going. I can’t wait till these next 6 months have gone by, but I would not want to skip ahead till then. This summer is going to be one I remember for the rest of my life and it needs to get here now! Everything about footbag, I LOVE. The sport itself, how it’s the simplest thing in the world, a bag, but the things you can do with that bag are so complex it’s unfathomable by anyone who isn’t into it. Stitching, which I am in the process of learning, because who doesn’t want to be able to make their own bags? And the people of the sport are some of the nicest, most welcoming people I have ever met.

Side note: If you read this Mark(Jazzkid), I will have your money soon enough. Just gotta wait till mine comes through the mail.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 09 May 2012 17:44

What??

Today, after my final, I decided to have a little session in the parking lot. It was like 92 degrees, and I was in a partly shady spot so as you could imagine, things didn't last too long. Especially cause the heat was swelling up my already beat up legs, but I hit some big things for me.

Pixie Ducking Mirage(Not SS). On BOTH SIDES!
Clipper > Ducking Mirage
Flip Mixer > Flip Mixer
Plus I hit 6 Clippers in one string(Not consecutively)

I REALLY wanted to keep going, but shin splints were bringing me down. Plus I'm trying to save myself for this weekend, cause it's Whole Earth Festival time! Used to be the only time I got to shred with decent players. This is going to be my prepper to see if I can shred my balls off for two days straight, like I plan for Green Cup!

Speaking of Green Cup, I will make a topic about this at a later time... But I am going to be rolling to Green Cup with possibly a couple dudes with cameras, legit ass cameras, and they know how to use them. Talked to one of the teachers at the CC and he is hella down to record some footage on Sunday the 26th, but this is still not 100%("90%"). Either way my buddy who is taking his class will be out there with me, with one of the teacher's cameras.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 14 May 2012 08:03

Whole Earth Festival

It was a bit ridiculous this year, spent a total of like 9 hours of shredding just this weekend. Friday was my best day, got down for like 5 hours. I didn't get to shred with all the people I would have liked to, but one dude from Placerville, who is tiltless, found me and we got down. It was crazy, cause exactly a year ago I was thinking(when shredding with him) how crazy good he was. Very consistent and very controlling with his shizz, very quick movements to his style, which makes the things he hits look that much better. But this year he was asking tips from ME! It's weird coming to terms with your ability, which is why I like Whole Earth. People will often tell you how well you are doing, which is a good ego boost to hit some new stuff. It's never as much fun though, if you are pretty much the elite guy getting down, and you are casting a shadow few want to step in. I don't do that purposely, but that's how it was described to me from a bystander who tried to get down with me. I don't really get that, you have to start somewhere, so stop being a weenie and hop in the circle!

Saturday wasn't much, only went for like an hour, it was like 95 that day. I was sweating like crazy in a matter of minutes. Sunday was mainly a day of circle kicking, which was cool for me, get to meet new peeps. Found a pretty dope circle of 2 couples. The females were just as good, if not, better than the dudes. And one was pregnant! It was funny to see her get into it, but she handled it, even hit some flying Clippers. Didn't really hit anything new, though I tried, but here are some dope strings I had.

Pixie ATW > Pixie Leg-over > Illusion > Illusion > Pixie Leg-over > Mixer
Clipper > Ducking Mirage > Pick-up > DATW (Lucky and a little sketch)
Pixie Mixer > DATW (Probably can't do that again)
Pixie Leg-over > Pixie Leg-over > Pixie Leg-over > Pixie Leg-over > Pixie Mirage > SS Mirage > Pixie Mirage > Pixie SS Mirage

Those were the ones that really stuck with me, as you could imagine, there were a lot. Hit just one Assassin, but that was alright for me. Craziest thing is how little my legs are destroyed, they are a wee bit sore, but no where near dead.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 14 May 2012 18:55

Derek wrote:People will often tell you how well you are doing, which is a good ego boost to hit some new stuff. It's never as much fun though, if you are pretty much the elite guy getting down, and you are casting a shadow few want to step in. I don't do that purposely, but that's how it was described to me from a bystander who tried to get down with me. I don't really get that, you have to start somewhere, so stop being a weenie and hop in the circle!
We have a festival here in Seattle that sounds a lot like that one coming up in a couple weeks (held annually on Memorial Day weekend) called Northwest Folklife. It's the best event each year to find hack circles. I have never been good enough to really dominate circles with really footbag stuff until now, but I plan to really tone it down as to not intimidate people. I am kind of viewing the festival through a recruitment lens, and if I'm playing with casual players I'll probably just kick it like normal with a single trick here and there. Hopefully our club will have a couple brand new players come June.

Do you think you could hit something like open ss mirage > double around the world, rpt?

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 14 May 2012 23:23

Really, is it for the entire weekend? I love events like that, hopefully you can get some people into freestyle.
My flip Open SS Mirage still hasn't come to me, I flail about and feel funky. But I will definitely practice that, as for my flip DATW... that might take me a couple weeks to get down. I will try to hit that by the end of the month, but I can't make any promises. Clippers are still my focus as of now, and I MUST HAVE THEM.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 17 May 2012 10:44

SUMMER!

So I got down on Tuesday after my final, which was pretty awesome. I wasn't really feeling the session as I normally do, but I still played and drilled consistantly for myself. Hit Clipper > Legover repeat 6 times, which I was pretty stoked about. And I was consistently getting a set I can duck from out of Clipper. Tried Reilley's challenge of Open SS Mirage > DATW repeat, damn is this a fucking challenge! I finally sacked up and got my flip Open SS Mirage(Which I really owe to Reilley) down, and was trying to hit it at least one side. But my sets after hitting Open SS Mirage weren't the greatest.

Today, I also got down after my LAST final, which I KILLED! The sesh today was pretty badass. I was able to hit Open SS Mirage > DATW, which I freaked out and celebrated about. Now I just need to work on my Flip DATW. I am getting pretty confident with my Clippers now, not overly so, but just enough to try and bust them mid-string now. Pixie ATW > Clipper > Mixer > Leg-over > Illusion was a sweet one for me. Couldn't hit past 4 consecutive Clippers, and I couldn't hit a Ducking Mirage, but my sets were very nice. Worked my Flip Pixie ATW more as well, I am starting to get obsessed with that shit. Love the way it looks and flows. Did some more drilling of Pick-ups too, which went very well, starting to hit them a lot more mid-string. All in all a very good start to my day. I am beyond excited to go to Green Cup, I wish it was this weekend! I want to meet and witness some master shredders, and get down with all my peeps. But then I don't cause I want to get better :P
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 19 May 2012 12:38

nice blog - playing with other guys (particularly players that are way better than you) is both inspiring and humbling. It is a great chance to improve your game and get some tips from them.

Good luck with the shred. Hopefully you get some people to play with nearby soon too!

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 22 May 2012 11:49

Thanks Daniel, I just love how everyone feeds off of each other in a group sesh. Grazi, right back at ya!

Sweaty, Sweaty Shredding

I haven't posted in a while, even though I have been getting down like crazy. Played Friday, Saturday(A wee bit), Monday, and today. It's been at least 80 everytime I shred, highest being at 95! Just wanna be prepared to get down with the get down at Green Cup. Don't really have much to say, kinda getting drained, but after Wednesday I'll be resting up.

New
Ducking Switch
HELLA Clipper set stuff(Mirage, SS Mixer, Switch, Pick-Ups)

Otherwise, all I have been doing is drilling the shit out of EVERYTHING. It's been pretty intense, but my legs are holding up quite well, and I know I have been making some decent progress.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 23 May 2012 00:04

It's awesome to see you are making such visible progress. I'm jealous because I feel like I'm stagnating a little bit. Congrats on getting open ss mirage > double around the world the other day! I bet you will be hitting that on both sides easily in no time. Hopefully some of those clipper-set tricks feel equally easy (or easier) than their toe-set versions. I wouldn't say I'm better at one or the other, but I really like the way clipper-set mixers feel over toe-set mixers.

Remember to practice lots of flip clippers too!

I wish I could make it to Green Cup. Hopefully you can make it to the U.S. Open in August.