Khoa Nguyen's footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Khoa Nguyen's footblog - Drilling Osis

Post by Cass » 09 Apr 2014 03:49

Hey sorry if I didn't stay in circle with you long! I would rather be able to play with everyone for a short time than miss out on playing with people :)

Try not to think so much in competition! It can only hurt you. Don't worry about what the other people you are competing against are hitting because it can only psych you out. I let that happen to me at worlds. I started out real strong and then choked because I let my competitors get in my head. The best thing you can do is just relax, be confident and do your thing.

Competition doesn't matter too much anyways ;)

You're cool!

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 09 Apr 2014 17:02

:D :D :D Thanks a lot Cassy for the kind words. I'm sorry I couldn't kick a lot with you this last weekend.
And the advices were spot on! Thank you so much for them!

So let's continue the write up!

Day 2 - 04/05/2014 - continued

Before we go any further, let me make a correction on a mistake in the previous post!

The first circle was not at all Ben, Marc, and April! It was Ben, Marc, and George! Sorry everyone!

It was actually a very tight circle when I started thinking back at it again. Ben started out a bit slow, Marc did great with his long strings, and George was unlucky throughout this Circle. He kept dropping on tricks that I know he was 100% capable of doing. The highlight of his round was when he almost hit Tap, and I swear I was sooo ready to express myself when that happened. Unfortunately, he could not finish the near Mirage after the Atomic set and dropped the bag.

So first circle: Ben and Marc, 2nd circle: Nathan and Kat!

Either the third or fourth circle was Aidan, Ryan and April I believe (I think I got it right this time!). Aidan was my freestyle football friend as well as a fellow footbagger, so I was also secretly cheering him on. He hit some great toe strings that I knew for sure he would try and hit, and it looked like he was on a role as well! Good for him!
April, as I have expressed before in my previous post, tried her best. It was very impressive, but unfortunately for her Aidan was just on fire, and Ryan... that guy didn't earn the nickname "Machine Gun" for nothing... Heck I would simplify it. Nowadays he wasn't "Machine Gun" any more. He was just "Machine"! A shred machine, if you will. Insane consistency and stability on very long strings. No doubt in my mind he was going in the next round!

Third circle: Ryan and Aidan

The fourth circle consisted of Chrissy, Derek, and one other I wasn't sure his name. In fact, thinking about it made me feel guilty. The first thing when I came to competitions, if I had not done so already by looking up people's videos, was to find out who was who, and thus helped make the atmosphere "among friends" like. The fact that I couldn't recall his name was a big failure, one I do not intend to repeat. However, for the intention of this post, I'd call him "my unknown friend" for short!

In any case, however, that was a very tight circle! Besides Chrissy who were very consistent at her strings, both Derek and my unknown friend were a bit shaky. I knew Derek could do better but he had been out of commission for such a long time before this. It was a miracle that he chose to compete that day! As a result, he was a little rusty. My unknown friend managed to hit a couple of very good tricks. If I recalled correctly he hit a Ripwalk(!). However, he could not keep his strings going for long, and it was a little bit of a pity.

So the last circle ended and I couldn't chose 2 out of 3 for this one, because it was much too close! My 1st guess was actually Chrissy and my unknown friend, because of the ripwalk he hit. However, when the results were announced, it was Derek who actually got through. Good for him, but a little too bad for my unknown friend... well... there had to always be people who were dismissed too early from Circle comps I guess... like me, or him. My unknown friend, wherever you are, you have my sympathies! Respect for trying! Same goes for George and April! You guys are the best!

After the results were announced, I wandered around aimlessly like a zombie. I didn't know what kind of facial expression I had, probably the kind you made when you just realized the harsh truth about losing, or probably none. Either way, I didn't notice when or why but I picked a random bag up and tried a combo, starting with again mirage - legover. After the sixth contact a rage swelled up within me, and I did Pixie legover - Pixie legover - Magellan - Smear - Dimwalk, a near bronze pixie level string to end a Tiltless combo. However, I did not feel any satisfaction, and instead this question kept replaying in my head: "You can do this tring ey? Good for you! May I ask you some questions though: WHERE WAS THIS STRING EARLIER? WHERE WAS IT WHEN YOU ACTUALLY NEEDED IT?" After this, I couldn't take it anymore. Regardless of the fact that I was surrounded by people and my friend Derek was there waiting for his turn, I slam the bag on the ground hard, came up to near a wall and punch it with all my might. As the Third Law of Newton stated: "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction", the reaction force from the wall made my hand feel like I just received my own punch. "Good!" I thought "May be you deserved to be punched like this! I just wished there was some way that made the force from that punch went directly to your face rather than your hand!"... Thinking and feeling miserable, I lie down on the floor, trying to shut out everyone from the outside world.

(to be continued tomorrow)
Last edited by anhkhoashevakt on 09 Apr 2014 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 09 Apr 2014 18:35

anhkhoashevakt wrote:
The fact that I couldn't recall his name was a big failure, one I do not intend to repeat. However, for the intention of this post, I'd call him "my unknown friend" for short!
That was me. :?

Dick. :x

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 09 Apr 2014 18:43

Sorry Ken that I did not recognize you :(

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 10 Apr 2014 17:04

( continued from previous post).

After a while, out of nowhere, I heard a voice from my left side:

"Hey man I know you're mad."

I looked over. It was Ryan. I told him: "No man, I'm not mad. I'm just dissapointed. Disspointed at myself."

"I understand!" He replied, and I knew he meant it too. More than anyone this guy understood me better than anyone else in the PSU club. We had very similar personalities. He continued: "I know you're dissapointed. But you can't cope with problems by being mad at them man! Being mad had never solved any problem for anyone!"

I knew he was right, of course. Or at least, the left side of my brain knew. But the right side was still stubborn in its crusade to make me feel sh!tty about myself. However, after 10 minutes, I was able to sit up again. Afterwards, I told Ryan that I was going to do some freestyle soccer, because I thought it might cheer me up. So I grab my ball and went to the other side of the court, where I knew I would not kick the ball away by accident and have someone trip over it when they're doing their combos.

During the process of doing stuff with the ball, I also sat down a couple times and thought about the reasons why I lost the circle. Essentially, I asked myself: "What would Anssi tell me if he were here right now?" After brainstorming for a while, I listed the reasons why:

1. I let my opponent intimidated me, even though the threat was not at all what I made it out to be
2. I think too much, being too rational and messed up the normal flow of tricks in combos
3. I still need a lot more practice at Butterflies, Infinities, and Eclipse. May be my Eclipse was not as strong as I thought it was.

So, after doing this, as well as gotten some good stuff with the ball, I calmed down much more and was ready to return to the competition site. I returned right at the moment when Ivan announced the winners of Intermediate Circles:

- At third place, we got Marc. No surprise here! He had been doing some pretty impressive long strings in the circles. But that also meant there were 2 others who placed higher... hmm... who could those be?

- At second, we got... Kat: "Wow! That was unexpected!" I told myself. But I was glad that she won 2nd... made my defeat seemed less embarrassing than it was... lol. Also, Kat had been improving a lot too, so I was happy to tell her good job and awaited the winner.

- "The winner of the Intermediate Circles was... drumroll please" I was about to ask people who drumroll was when Ivan announced: "BEN!!!!" BEN? Wow! He won? That's amazing... Well, I guess all of his training from the start finally paid off... It was great too see the most enthusiastic, craziest, and one of the most dedicated members of the club winning the title. I ran over and congratulated him, and that was the end of Intermediate Circles.

Next, there was Open Circles. This was one of the events I knew I must watch at all costs, because supposedly both Jim Penske and Johnny Suderman was going to compete. However, after asking Ivan I was told that Johnny wasn't going to compete, which was a shame. Ivan also asked me to be the camera man for the event, which I happily obliged.

So I manned the tripod with the camera, and do my best to keep everything centered and make sure that nobody's going to fall out of the frame while doing their combos. After the help of Aaron P. in adjusting the different parameters of the tripod, things seemed simple enough. Let's do this!

The first circle was Zach H., Nick P. and Alex from Toronto. I have shreded with all 3 before (with Alex being the most recent) so I knew their level, and I had to say, it was really hard to tell who would advance. All 3 of them had the potential to be amazing, so I would be willing to bet that anything could happen.

It seemed like fate, again, was unkind to Nick when midway through the circle, he succumbed to what looked like a very bad cramp. It looked like he did not have enough time to warm up after judging intermediates, and now his left hamstring was killing him. Ianek and Zach offered him a banana, I also did my part in offering him some water.

After a while, the circle continued and I was manning the camera again. Even though he just got the cramp, Nick came back doing quite well. Even so, I still couldn't distinguish who was going to go in after this round.

(to be continued)

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 10 Apr 2014 23:26

Just a correction - Nick only judged the first rounds of intermediate comps, and I let him go early so he would have time to be ready for his circle. I actually made it a point to have all of the people judging intermediate to compete in the later open circles so they would have at least 20 minutes to warm up.

Great write up so far, keep it up man!
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 11 Apr 2014 07:20

C-Fan wrote:
anhkhoashevakt wrote:
The fact that I couldn't recall his name was a big failure, one I do not intend to repeat. However, for the intention of this post, I'd call him "my unknown friend" for short!
That was me. :?

Dick. :x
Wow! Ken was at Jamps?! Who would've thought.

(But really. He should come to PSU.)
April Tou
kicker, stitcher, footbag enthusiast, baker of PSUFC

"Drill until it's ingrained." -old Indian proverb according to a book I read

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 12 Apr 2014 17:48

(continued from previous)

So, circles after circles past and I stayed focused on my camera work. The second circle was (if I remember correctly) Anton, Mikie, Dante and Mathieu. I've seen Mathieu in action only once, and it was in one of the preliminary World's Circles (I watched all those videos in my free time) so I kind of knew his level, but I gotta admit he did much better in this competition than at Worlds for some reason. He easily did the best out of everyone in that circle, with Dante coming close at second place. Anton and Mikie pulled off some impressive stuff (Anton improved A LOT since the last time I saw him!), but were a bit unlucky. So in this circle, Mathieu and Dante advanced for me, no question.

Third circle was Boatz, Drew, and Jim P. Boatz was really unlucky to get placed in with these 2 heavyweights, I thought. He managed to do really well though, and I thought he was the one pulling all the most creative stuff in the circle. Drew... man I don't understand how this guy does it! He has such a bulky body, and yet he pulls out double downs and DLOs easy, sometimes even 3 dexes... seriously if he can do that then I have reason to be hopeful for the future!

Need I say more about Jim? Well, he was Pimpske for a reason. Pulling off Barflies, PS Whirling tricks like nobody's business, he was easily the first one to advance from this circle in my mind. There was one time in the Density round when he dropped a Nemesis attempt, got a pass back and immediately did Whirlygig - PS Whirl - Ducking PS Whirl, which I mistakenly called a Beast the first time I saw it (because I thought it was Whirlygig - Whirlygig - Ducking PS Whirl!). Still, a 6-5-6 was very impressive, and by the end of the cirlce I knew he would advance, but it was close between Drew and Boatz.

Last circle was Cassy T., Adam G., Tristan , and the Ryan Thomas. Ryan, of course, was EXTREMELY consistent. I think in terms of consistency he must be one of the best out there. Adam was ripping sh!t up with his crazy 3 dexes and catwalks. Cassy did extremely well as well, with a good string even from the start. Tristan also hit some really cool dragon variations, even a Doof! I think in term of dragon tricks he was the bomb! However, the pity is that most of his runs tend to terminate way too early, which was a disadvantage for him. I would really like to witness more of him in the future though. With that style and trick selection, when he upgrade his string length it would be the best thing ever.

This circle was close for me. I had trouble figuring out who would advance. Choosing just 2 out of 4 of these brilliant footbaggers was just impossible. Even more so was the fact that me and Jim started a conversation during this period of time. We talked about a lot of things. He asked me about some of my freestyle football stuff, and I recited some of his old routines that I really liked (the one from USO 2012 in Portland as an example). We also talked about the fact that we were both similar because we prefered doing routines than Circles or Battles (which is the equivalent of Circles in freestyle football, only with 2 people rather than the typical 3 or 4 like in footbag) because both of us didn't like the fact that he had to warm way up then sit there until we cooled down completely after the circle ended, and then had to warm back up again. In routines you came up there, you do your thing, and then you were finished and come back down, with no interruption in between. I found out that me and Jim actually had a lot of similarities! I had to say that even in my wildest dreams I would never imagine Jim to be such a cool and nice person in real life! Even though you were doing Tiltless combos and he was doing Beast BSOS, he would prop you after a cool combo that was good for your level! That, combining with the fact that he was so good at footbag, further reinforced my notion that this guy must be a god! LOL.

During this period of time I also started a conversation with Nathan B. He turned out to be a cool little guy as well, even though he tend not to talk much. Jim said that Nathan reminded him a lot of himself when he was younger, which I believe was true as well. Nathan had only been doing footbag for 6 months, and he had already improved like crazy! Giving that kid 4 years and he would grow up to be a new Jim Penske, that I had no doubt.

So, after a while, the results were in. Advancing were Nick, Alex, Dante, Mathieu, Jim, Drew, Adam, and Cassy. I knew right then that Semis were going to be crazy!

First semi circle was Dante, Mathieu, Cassy and Adam. Everyone did as expected: Dante continued to pull out some very impressive strings, I think he got Food Processor mid string in one of those. The thing about this guy was that he pulled out those tricks with such a great style, call me crazy but sometimes it reminded me of Honza for some reason. Mathieu continued killing it with his toe shuffles and... 2 bag juggles xD. Adam pulled off 3 dexes and catwalks like nobody's business. Cassy continued to do well also. It was crazy hard to choose 2 out of 4 in this round, but if it was up to me I would have chosen Adam and Dante.

Second semi circle was Nick, Alex, Drew and Jim. Jim continued to pull off crazy stuff that set him apart from every one else in the circle. Nick did very well as well. Drew continued to do his thing, which was, again, very impressive. Alex tried his best and pulled off some quick strings. This guy had got to be one of the guys with the fastest strings there is in the entire Jamps. Again, a VERY hard circle to judge. Jim definitely advanced, but what about the other 3? I had no idea.
A caveat I had in filming this circle was that Drew always blocked Alex's combos! And I had no idea how to get around him! Even as I moved the camera to the side, Drew would (as if he had telephatic powers or something) soon move abit to the side and blocked the combo Alex was doing again! So if you guys watch this battle and can't see any of Alex's combos, you know why now lol.

So, afterwards, the judges announced: it was Dante, Mathieu, Nick, and Jim that made it to the Final circle. As soon as I heard it I ran towards Nick and gave him a bear sized hug! He did it! He finally did it! He got to the final circle of Open Circles! Nick was plenty surprised as well. Even though the cramp was killing him he managed to pull off some really impressive stuff, and was now in the final circle as a result.

The final circle commenced soon after that. Jim, Dante, Mathieu and Nick all pulled out all the stops! Mathieu finally showcased the full extent of his power when he increased his variety of tricks more than ever before: eggbeaters, barrages... and much more. Dante pulled off some really impressive stuff as well, including a Flurry - Pixie Butterfly Swirl - combo - Janiwalker - almost Eggbeater. Nick pulled off some cool looking long strings, one of which almost ending with a Singularity, which in my mind is one of the coolest looking thing ever, although I still had no idea why it was named after the center of a black hole. Jim finally satisfied his wish and pulled off a Nemesis combo in Density. After this round I knew for a fact that Jim would win Open circle, and Nick unfortunately would place 4th due to him being unlucky with the cramp and the untimely drops. However, the 2nd and 3rd places were too hard for me to choose.

Finally, the result of Open circle were in: at 4th place: Nick - expected. 3rd: Dante! Hmm, I thought this guy would place second actually because of his smooth style, but I guess Matt's variety increase and consistency won the day! 2nd: Mathieu, and undisputably 1st: Jim Penske!

After I congratulated all the finalists, Ivan told me there would be a 5 minute period in which I would be able to perform a short freestyle football demo for the crowd before Requests started. Cool! So I invited Aidan and Boatz to help me, and all 3 of us made a circle, and performed a bit of freestyle soccer for the crowd. Everyone of us did well and I was happy with some of the stuff I got up there, even though my legs were a bit sore due to a lot of freestyling throughout the day. However, I told them to hold on, as Intermediate Request was up next.

(Next: what else? Request contest!)

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 12 Apr 2014 19:51

Your write-up is so detailed! Did you take notes or something??
It was super nice to meet you, Khoa. Too bad I didn't get to see you play much or shred with you.
Also Dante's opening combo in that one circle was flurry > pixie whirling swirl. Nuts

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 Apr 2014 06:00

I like routines much better too. Seems they are losing a bit of popularity in the footbag world though.

Awesome combo from Dante!

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 mediante Tapatalk

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 15 Apr 2014 19:06

@ Muffinman: Thanks, Erik. It was a priviledge to meet you as well! Everyone from Canada was so nice! :D :D :D
And yes, it should have been Pixie Whirling Swirl... I think I got it wrong because the angle where I watched it from was a bit hard-ish lol. Thanks a ton for the correction! :D
And all these are from memory ;) It was vivid because I don't want to let any of it go! :wink:

@Boyle: I'm so glad I found another similar mind in this.
I think Circles nowadays are much more appealing to people, but for some reason I still like Routines a bit more, may be because I'm better at them than circles xD xD xD

Sorry guys for not being able to update new chapters quickly. These weeks have been killer for me, but as soon as I finish the work load, I'll give even more info to come! :D :D :D :D

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 16 Apr 2014 21:49

Great write-ups, Khoa. Really fun read. Thanks again for the extra water you had. That helped a bunch.

Just so you know, Ken was kidding in his above post. He was not at Jamps and he was kidding when he called you a "dick". Might have been tough to distinguish. Ken is really nice. I just hung out with him at NOLA! Hope you get to meet him someday!

I think you pin-pointed exactly what you need to work on.. Infinities, Osis, Eclipse, Pdx Mirage, and basic Tiltless. Your game will improve greatly if you spend a lot of time on just these few concepts.

I know I didn't play well at PSU, but I think you'll enjoy the footage of mine from NOLA. There is a noticeable difference.

Can't wait to kick with you again! Hopefully soon!
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 17 Apr 2014 18:15

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:Great write-ups, Khoa. Really fun read. Thanks again for the extra water you had. That helped a bunch.

Just so you know, Ken was kidding in his above post. He was not at Jamps and he was kidding when he called you a "dick". Might have been tough to distinguish. Ken is really nice. I just hung out with him at NOLA! Hope you get to meet him someday!

I think you pin-pointed exactly what you need to work on.. Infinities, Osis, Eclipse, Pdx Mirage, and basic Tiltless. Your game will improve greatly if you spend a lot of time on just these few concepts.

I know I didn't play well at PSU, but I think you'll enjoy the footage of mine from NOLA. There is a noticeable difference.

HEHE I know Nick. That was my way to throw the sarcasm back at him lol.
I met him last summer at USO. One of the coolest guys I've ever met.
Btw where are the NOLA footages? I yearn to see them! :D :D :D
Btw thanks for the advice. I will definitely need to improve my basics. I think I have been doing Pixies for so long, it's time to spread out a little bit and cement the basics.

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 17 Apr 2014 18:18

anhkhoashevakt wrote:
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:Great write-ups, Khoa. Really fun read. Thanks again for the extra water you had. That helped a bunch.

HEHE I know Nick. That was my way to throw the sarcasm back at him lol.
I met him last summer at USO. One of the coolest guys I've ever met.
Btw where are the NOLA footages? I yearn to see them! :D :D :D
Btw thanks for the advice. I will definitely need to improve my basics. I think I have been doing Pixies for so long, it's time to spread out a little bit and cement the basics.
And btw I thought you did great at Jamps, just that I know you could have done way better if not for that unfortunate cramp! Still man, you got to the Final circle. I'd call that an awesome achievement! :D :D :D

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 12 May 2014 18:42

After a looooong time of absence from modified due to all the gradings, exams, and committee meeting, I am finally back!

So, I left of at the Request Contest. Let's pick it up from there!

After the freestyle soccer demo of me, Aidan, and Boatz, which made me happy, I was prepared to man the camera again. However, Ivan told me that Intermediate Request is coming up next, and thus I decided to participate, even though, to be completely honest, I was still reeling from the lost in Circles, and didn't know if I wanted to participate. "Screw it! Let's do it for fun!" I thought.

Somehow, thinking about it like that actually made my game 100x better. There was no pressure. I was prepared to go out in every round, but instead I found myself advancing. Derek caught an injury and had to get out early (what's up with that guy and injuries? I felt really bad for him, as every single injury seemed to just target the poor guy). April again got out in the 1st round, which really saddened me, because I know she had tried her best, it was just not her time (come to think about it, if this competition happened just 4 weeks later, she would have gotten far, because she's now stringing like there's no tomorrow!). Ben unfortunately got out early. Aidan, Ryan, Kat, Marc, Chrissy, and of course Nathan were killing it. Only in the later rounds did they eventually had to give, due to them not being able to do one trick usually: Marc got out because he could not to Pixie Legover, Kat as well (I think). Aidan choked on a clipper trick which I couldn't remember. Ryan was really close in getting Whirl - Pixie legover, but he feel once during that time, and might have hurt himself because of it. That might be why he got out a bit early. The last couple of strings in the Intermediate Categories were quite challenging, and each of the contestants actually took some tries before landing the string. I remember failing Whirl - far legover twice before getting it in the third try. Nathan took some tries in his string as well. For Chrissy, I couldn't remember very well, but she got her string. "Wait!", I thought, "I was one of the 3 remaining contestants! Wow!". I was astonished of how far I came. "Well, bring on the next string then!" However, before the next string was announced, Ianek came up and told us that we had passed Intermediate Request, and could now move on to Pro Requests. To be honest I was a bit dissapointed, because I would not know the final standing of us 3 in requests that way. But looking at Nathan and Chrissy, I suddenly realized that they did deserve to be in Pro Requests as much as anyone, and it would be unfair to deny them that. So I happilly congratulated them, and us 3 moved onto the real deal!

I passed my first combo of Pro Request in my 1st try, which seriously suprised me. Looking to the other circle, I suddenly saw Chrissy and Nathan failed their combos, and left the game. "Wow! Did that make me winner of Intermediate Requests?" I thought. Immediately, I felt embarrassed: "How could you think of such things, Khoa? After all they have been through up til this stage! You should have secretly wished for them to do well, not being selfish like that!". As on cue, heaven decided to punish me by giving me the next combos, one of them being Ducking clipper - pdx mirage. I know that if I got ducking clipper, I would have a chance, but I missed all my 3 tries. "Well! That was actually great fun!" I thought and left the game happily and awaited further results.

The combos became crazier and crazier and crazier and yet crazier. Pretty soon there were only a handful of players left: Erik, Nick, Johnny, Dante, and Adam (even Jim got out early!). The competition between them was insane! It was hard to keep from making sounds when they landed tricks that was only possible in my dreams. Johnny ended up taking the trophy with insane execution of the combo: Double Switch - Paradon Swirl. It looked sooooo cool when he did it.

So the mirage races were left afterwards, and it was a joy for me to watch since I didn't really feel like competing anymore with my legs being tired. It was such a fun time watching everyone do these races. It was just a silly competition, but it definitely was a good one! Ryan ended up sharing 3rd place with Anton, and was only demoted to 4th after a contest of... rock, paper, scissors! Overall, it was a fun time, for the contestants and the observers both.

Next time: Saturday party and Sunday.

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 16 May 2014 18:44

The end: Saturday party, Sunday shred and Tuesday farewell to Jim.

After leaving the shred place, I took the time to get to the gym's changing room and took a quick shower. Then, I took the bus to the movie theatre in order to finally see "Captain America - the Winter Soldier", a film that I anticipated for such a long time. However, when I got there, I realized that the theatre was full of people! The ticket seller told me that they had run out of tickets for the 7 P.M showing, and if I wanted to see it that day I had to wait until 9 P.M. Having set my mind to go to Ben's place to meet everybody, I told myself: "To hell with that!" and caught another bus home, really frustrated because I had made the trip for nothing.
After getting to school, I took another bus (N) to go to Ben's place. When I got there, it was about 7:40 P.M, one hour earlier than everyone. I was approaching the door to Ben's apartment and about to knock when the door automatically opened! :lol: It turned out that a guest in the house was trying to get to some air and opened the door at the same time I arrived! Talk about coincidences.

As I expected, almost nobody was there yet except the Canadians, who were chilling in the main lobby. I came in, said hi to everyone, and then went to meet Ben and April in Ben's room. I congratulated him again on the victory, and he told me: "Should have been you man!"

At this moment, I felt a mixture of many things, but one stood out the most: shame, sharp and searing, like a blade that cut all the way from my abdomen to my throat. I spent so much time angry about the world and didn't give a dang about anyone else, and there Ben was, telling me that I should have took it instead of him! Fortunately, in that moment, I did the only thing that was right to do: I reassured him that he won deservingly, that he showcased a level that was just amazing in every aspect. I meant every word at that moment, and I still mean every word of it now.

After that, we joined the Canadians discussing the competition. In the middle of the discussion about the Request contest, I blurted out a hypothesis that I had been having about the add system, and some aspect might benefit from some tweaking in order to make it even better. I was glad to see that everyone listened to me about the subject, and took it seriously. How cool was that? These guys were 100x better footbag players than I was, and there they were, listening to an unamed person like me! "This is why the footbag community is among the best in the world!" I remember thinking.

Afterwards, April suggested that we participated in "Cards against Humanity". It was a humorous game, resulting in plenty of laughs from everyone. Unfortunately, I began to experience cramps in both of my Vasti Laterali in my legs and had to drop out from playing to drink some water and ate a banana.

Everybody began to come into Ben's place, and it became very crouded really quickly. Soon, everyone were participating in conversations with one another. It really felt like a great family. I had meaningful conversation with Jon "Outsider" Schneider about the special kind of "hacky sack" (cau) that were usually played in Vietnam, and was discovered by none other than the Peter Irish. Jon is such an amazing person, and a knowledgable one as well. The guy practically knows everything there is to know about the history of footbag, it's just amazing listening to him and ponder on how long the footbag scene has existed.

After that, I had conversations with Boatz, Mikie, and Eric Chan about various things, including schools and degrees, as well as freestyle football. I explained freestyle soccer names to everyone, including the Magellan conservation from footbag, the ""Insert person name here" ATW" naming system in freestyle soccer, and of course the Dragonstall - Flapper mix up. It was a super fun time and we all learned some new things in the end. After that, I said goodbye to everyone to come home and sleep for the night.

Sunday:

I woke up a bit tired, and my leg muscles felt like they had just suddenly been turned into jelly by a spell from an evil witch. Still, I had it in my mind to go shred some more and say goodbye to everyone. So, I packed my things and took the bus to school. I spent a brief 1 hour in the Graduate Exhibition, where some of my Physiology friends were presenting their work, and then headed to Old Main. When I got there, everybody were already shredding, although not very hard, given the fact that everyone were still tired from the previous day. I joined the same circle with Mac and Pimpske and was again mind blown by the insanity of Jim's combos. Mac did some good stuff as well. I couldn't do a lot of things due to my legs already tired from the day before, but still managed to pull off some Pixie combos. I ended the session with some freestyle soccer with Aidan.

After this, the Canadians, the New Yorkers, as well as Nick and everyone else said their good byes. We all congratulated Ivan for such a job well done organizing this huge competition, and then parted ways. However, Jim, Jon, Ivan, Ryan, Marc, and me decided to go to a Chinese restaurant in downtown State College (Big Bowl) to get some food. We had some meaningful conversations, mostly about Game of Thrones and other related materials. Ryan managed to finish both his food and Jim's leftovers. That guy sure have an appetite! :D

Afterwards, Jon departed on his journey, Ivan and Jim came back to Old Main because Jim forgot something there. Me, Ryan, and Marc walked along College Avenue, talking about Superman and Wonder Woman, as well as how gods viewed the world in a different way than mortals did (I'm not even kidding! :lol:)

I soon separated from everyone else to finally catch the bus to the movie theatre to see "Winter Soldier". The pay off was incredible. I had never watched anything from Marvel that was that good, may be except "the Avengers". The movie returned Captain America to a true superhero instead of being the brooding, loner type that every film nowadays seemed to do, including my beloved "Man of Steel". "Best way to end the day!" I thought.

On Tuesday, we had the last session with Jim. He taught everyone how to do Osis. Afterwards, we all went to the Creamery to get some ice cream and then to East Halls to get some food. Jim told me about the Japanese restaurant that he was running in his hometown, and I promised to come and check out the food if I ever be there. When time to say goodbye came, I couldn't shake the feeling of melancholia inside me. It was like losing a big brother.

The days afterwards were harsh. It wasn't easy going from the amazing footbag life to the normal existence with grading papers and worrying about whiny undergrads. It took me almost 2 weeks to recover from "Post Footbag Meet Disorder".

Easily, this meet was among the best times in my life. Something I would still remember for years to come.

THE END.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 16 May 2014 23:30

Your enthusiasm's so infectious :)

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 17 May 2014 05:26

Great write up!!! I've been to a lot of events and they are collectively the best times in my life. Thankfully the post-event depression only lasts a day or two anymore :P

I hope we get to hang out again this summer!

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 25 May 2014 15:09

Yes we definitely should. You guys should come down to the State College area again sometime this summer. Gonna be a fun time.

So, I haven't actually improving much this last week due to a really bad fever that rendered me incapacitated for almost a week! However, there were some recent things I got recently that I feel footblog worthy:

:arrow: Almost 4 Osii in a combo.
:arrow: Ripwalk BSOS
:arrow: Pixie Legover - Dimwalk - PS Mirage
:arrow: BOPs on both sides

Newest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M05IIq1NCSY

Recently I have ran into a problem: several years ago (2012 I believe) I got this mild injury on my right foot. Basically back then when I was trying to curl my toes up to juggle a soccer ball or (in footbag equivalence) to do a toe stall, a remote part of my foot (on the ridge that leads to the big toe) began to hurt. It was only a sharp pain at a time. Also, throughout the years, from 2012 to 2013 and 2014, it got a bit better. When I started playing footbag, it didn't bother me that much.
However, last week, when I was trying to play footbag again, it started hurting quite a bit, to the point that I had to stop doing footbag. Wierd thing is, if I was doing only toe stall and toe tricks, it didn't hurt; also, if I was only doing clipper to clipper, it hurt, but not that much. However, when I was transfering my foot from a toe stall to a clipper position (curling the toes down into the monkey fist) the pain became sharper and more pronounced. I haven't been playing footbag for a couple days now because of that. One reason might be because I hadn't used my legs for a couple days due to my sickness, so the right leg was weaker than normal.

Also, I have started using the new, heavier Lavers for shred lately, and that might contribute to the problem as well. I can do tricks in them just fine, it just that they drain me out very quickly, and at the end of the session, my ankles were always tired. May be it is the side effects of the fact that they are now almost 2 times as heavy.

So, because of that, I have decided to ease off heavy dexing tricks and jumping tricks for a while and return to the basics, as well as continue training clippers and osis to get better at them. I will also monitor my right leg carefully to see if the problem persists. I will also try to find a day to go to the medical center to check out my problem, which is a bit hard because the buses there are closed on weekends, so I may have to leave work early on a day and take a trip there to see if they have something to say about the problem.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 25 May 2014 16:21

Well I'm gonna be at the PA net champs next weekend so you should probably come to that ;) Otherwise I already have all my events planned for the summer! I doubt another trip to PA will be feasible.

Nice video! Crazy tiltless football shred. The run with all the pixie tricks was sick!