Set Phasers To Love Me! [April's Footblog (PSU)]

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Re: Set Phasers To Love Me! [April's Footblog (PSU)]

Post by bluevampire101 » 28 Mar 2015 16:16

Bob. Yes. Thank you for that. :D

Today I kicked with Ben, Ryan, Aidan, and Khoa. It was a fun time. I hadn't kicked since the last post I believe because of busy school things, so I was glad to get a session in today.
Highlights:
:arrow: Fairy ss Pickup (Nallegam)>Fairy op Pickup
:arrow: Fairy Ducking Toe
:arrow: Fairy Ducking Clipper

I am very excited that I got my first couple little tricks with Fairy Ducking now, and I hope that by Jamps, I'll be able to perhaps show it off a little ;P

Anywho, Jamps is in two weeks! Yay! Hype! Fun!
April Tou
kicker, stitcher, footbag enthusiast, baker of PSUFC

"Drill until it's ingrained." -old Indian proverb according to a book I read

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 28 Mar 2015 17:28

Wow, April. Your progress sounds great. Can't wait to see you at Jamps!
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 02 Apr 2015 16:28

Jamps V is approaching quickly and swiftly.
I am excited but I also have to make sure I finish my school work in time so I can make the most of just kicking it with friends. Pun.

Today there was a session outside with Ivan, Ryan, Khoa, and Ben. Aidan also stopped by.
It rained about halfway through the session but it was okay. There was some covered area that we continued under.

Highlights:
:arrow: Fairy Ducking Clipper
:arrow: Fairy Ducking Butter (Alpine Fairy Beater, eh?)

That was fun. I am liking fairy ducking.

I am thinking of making quiche for the people who stay at our apartment for Jamps for probably Saturday morning. And for the event in general I am thinking of trying to make Mille feuille / Napoleon.
Hope that works out well! :D

Excite! Hype! Kick!
April Tou

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 06 Apr 2015 20:44

Only 4 days away! Pretty stoked! Sounds like you've really taken off with the Fairy sets. Great job. I remember how hard it was to learn Fairy Ducking. It's great that you already hit it into Butterfly.

Challenge: Fairy ss Mirage b2b. Think you can hit it by Jamps?

Also, if you still request it, I can still bring my fondue kit!
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 07 Apr 2015 04:54

Nick: Yeah!!!
And thanks! :D I think it's pretty fun to do. Now I just need my flip to get with the program.

I think I can hit that challenge if there happens to be a session before Jamps (ideally there will be perhaps Wednesday). I'll let you know :)

And yes, please! It would be much appreciated! Fondue!
April Tou

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 13 Apr 2015 21:05

I hope you really drill out that Fairy game, such a wonderful and under utilized set. And I recall yours being extra clean.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 20 Apr 2015 19:10

Derek: Yes! I plan to. Just you wait. Probably the next time we see each other, I'll be like a fairy master. But not really. But... Ideally. Ideally...

Anywho, everyone is posting stuff and stuff. It is still Modified Day, so I will make a real post instead of just me posting that I was in class. :)

Let's see... I will do a short Jamps V write-up.
Friday: Ianek shows up in the evening, shortly after I had just finished making broccoli and cheddar splash potato soup. We eat, and it is good. We head over to Greg's place, where NYFA + Marc (is he a part of NYFA now? who knows.) are already there. We chill a bit before heading out to the evening session at the Rec Hall. We first tried kicking in a bigger portion of the facility, but were asked to temporarily leave because there was a men's volleyball game going on. We just end up kicking at the squash courts in two separate courts. I got to have a circle with Nick Landes and Ivan, which was cool. Got some fairy ducking in. Tried some attempts at neo ducking, was not very successful. I basically over-kicked this day, unfortunately, but I had a fun time. After kick, people headed out in groups to eat food. A good portion of the group went to Pita Pit for discount pitas thanks to Ivan. Very cool. We all eventually headed back to Shredhaus to party party. Sold Kevin Hogan the most recent bag I had made. Hope it treats him well, as he does it. Shredhaus -- I don't quite recall what all happened, but hanging out. Shortly after Cassy and Alex showed up, some people started heading out to respective crash spots (myself included - home), since it was getting late. I get a wee bit cranky when I'm tired. :roll:

Saturday: I woke up early to make some quiche. I ended up making four pies. Boats and Mikie strolled on over for some quiche and coffee. Then they left towards the event site before the rest of the people staying at mine and Ben's place headed out. We waited (not very long) for Chrissy to arrive since she was not far away, then we set out towards Starbuck's for coffee and Mclanahan's Market for snacks for the day. We were notified that the event site was moved (well, we had to move to a different area), luckily we weren't halfway to the original location, and arrived to the new location just about the same time as everyone else. I ended up not kicking much due to various factors, perhaps mostly because of the previous night shred. There was requests, mirage races, and tiltless endurance competitions, which seemed fun (I didn't participate in any). Boo to me, I know. :roll:
There was also renegade and some routines people did, which was pretty cool :) I enjoyed all of them. For renegade, I asked about some tricks/links. Nick Landes hit one, which was cool to see (miraging blender). Another one (link) I asked about seemed a bit too much to ask for at the time (fairy symp egg > phasing ss dyno). I didn't want to push it and was glad enough to see the miraging blender.

People started leaving for food eventually. Others stayed and kicked longer. Others went to shower and prep for the night plus food. I stayed but didn't kick. I was going to head home, but ended up meeting Bob and going to Five Guys where some others were going to eat, though I wasn't particularly hungry. I ended up meeting Ben and the rest of the peeps staying at our place outside of Five Guys and heading to California Tortilla (not too far from Five Guys) and got chips and queso.
Then our group all got together and headed towards the apartment for showers and party prep. Then, we all headed towards Shredhaus. Talked talked talked, fun times. Tequila shot. Birthday celebration smoke. Fun(ny) Ben-Kemmer interaction. Comedy skit. Singing. Footbag videos, four-square-turned-nine-square.

I ended up asking Ben to walk to home, since it was getting late. Ianek, Chrissy, and Bob ended up getting a ride from Jon Schneider to our place, since it was getting late, which was coincidentally fortunate (I think?). Then we all crashed to sleep, basically.

Sunday: A bit more of a late-rising. Though, I believe I was one of the later people to wake up at the apartment. We planned to eat at a restaurant (The Corner Room) for breakfast, but the line was long. We ended up going to the place where practically everyone else went, the place of Ben's work, Irving's. He was able to swing some free coffees for those who wanted it, which was cool. We all headed to the site for the day, outside of the HUB, or rather, across from it, outside of Osmond Lab. Everyone sunscreened up. We got a box of free bananas from a girl whose organization/group perhaps had too many. They were ripe and good. Delicious. There were workshops this day, which was cool. I participated in some (Stepping, semi-participated in the Torque one). I also asked Evan for tips/help with Fairies. And I got help with Pixies from Ianek. (Thanks everyone who did workshops!). Group picture. I want it, though I don't know who has it/them. Lots of good goodbyes (not that the goodbyes were good, but hugs are good).
The rest of us who were still here for the time ended up eating at Big Bowl.

That's it. For Jamps. That I will talk about.

Fortunately, since I didn't really get to hang out with Nick Landes during Jamps, I got to hang out with him a bit afterwards since he wasn't leaving until Wednesday! :D
Monday night, I invited him over for dinner (homemade chicken enchiladas) and the three of us (Nick, Ben, me) did some yoga before-hand. We also had delicious ice cream and then played Cards Against Humanity. Fun times.
Tuesday - - my birthday! I had one class in the morning and then had the rest of the day to hang out. I met up with Nick and we headed to Irving's to visit Ben and grab some food. We hung around until Ben was off of work then went around some places, until eventually stopping at Pickle's in attempt to get some drinks for 21. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a mixed drink that I had wanted because they have a 48 hour rule, and I was only allowed to order beer or wine. I ended up trying a pink wine (not sure of the name), Ben got a drink (not sure what it was still), and Nick got a beer. We also had yummy food - edamame, fried pickles, and burgers/cheesesteak. Waited a long time for the waitress to get the check, but it was a fun time. Tickling ticklish people. Nick and Ben "fighting" for the check. Then we went to the Phyrst and got mixed drinks. We also played pool. Hung out and it was getting later, so we headed out. Got a birthday massage from Nick, which was nice. Then said goodbyes. :( Too soon. But hopefully future times will bring hanging out again.

This type of hanging out with footbaggers is nice. I wish there was more of this. I like footbaggers. They are nice and cool and fun. :mrgreen: Footbag!
Ideally, Ben and I will be able to visit some East Coast spots before we head out West. Canada is a top choice. Boston is another. NYFA is definitely another. Among others. :)

Since then, I had a cheese party, which turned out pretty well. There was a bunch of cheeses brought my others, as well as bought from Ben. One of Ben's friend was nice enough to bring some Chardonnay and a sort of Champagne. We all played Cards Against Humanity (there was 9-10 of us strolling in and playing). Eventually it turned into a footbag gathering, as per usual with footbag video watching and footbag attempts at things.

School-related things:
The semester is almost over. I have an exam this week that I must prepare for. I also have a 15-page (maximum) research proposal paper to write by Sunday night. Then finals the week after next week. It shouldn't be too bad, but I'm a bit nervous. Priorities.

It's a bit sad because people are slowly (going to) start trickling out of State College/Penn State in terms of footbag club... *sigh*

In other news, I haven't kicked since Jamps, but hope to once the school work goes down. I would like to work on basics, for real, as well as solidifying fairy tricks. With warmer weather, it should be easier.
Also, trying to get a job or jobs for the summer. Money is nice. I would like to make money and save up for after graduating. I want a footbag house. Also, trying to build credit once job things hopefully work out. Time will tell.

I am also thinking of a routine for East Coasts, maybe? I have songs in mind. Tricks will follow. We'll see.

Yay for footbag! :footbag:
April Tou

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 25 May 2015 12:14

Modified! It has been a while.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to kick much, and I feel bad for that.

On the flip side, the reason why I haven't been able to kick much is because I got two part time jobs, and possibly a third one on the way. I have been waiting to kick (more) because I don't have regular schedules yet, and I've also been adjusting to the work life with my legs killing me from standing a lot.
For my one job, I work with Ben, which is nice. It's an early morning job that I enjoy, where I make breakfast sandwiches and salads mostly. (Hours look like 5AM-9AM). There is another employee who will be getting priority over shifts up until July and she had been on vacation, so I'm waiting to see if I'll be working once a week or whatnot until July hits.
For my other job, I work as part of the banquet staff for a restaurant/inn. Sometimes it's a banquet server shift and sometimes it is set-up/breakdown/etc. The shifts vary from week to week, but the hours aren't bad (typically something like 10:30AM-3PM or 2PM-6PM).
For the third job that I might get, it would be at a comic book/(card) game store that will be opening up in downtown. I was told that hours would be 10 per week if that, but I suppose I will find out at the meeting that is supposed to be at the end of the week.

I also plan to start yoga sometime soon (around the same time as I start kicking more). There is a yoga studio in downtown that offers some free sessions/classes about twice a week, as well as some pretty cool deals.

I recently started thinking of just staying in town for another year, even though I am graduating in the fall. It may be nice because I already have jobs, and other places may not work out. It might also be good for saving money, but we'll see.
April Tou

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 21 Jul 2015 10:45

Woooo. Finally doing a write up. A write up full of write ups.
I write up because Ivan’s Achilles tendon BLEW UP. So he doesn’t have to do one. If he doesn’t want to.

ARTS FEST!
Arts Fest worked out pretty well. Ben and I had work to do, but we got work done. We went to work early in the morning and hashed things out fairly quick so we could kick and hang out. Luckily, we didn’t have to go in for the Sunday. We missed people coming in on Friday, but we got to hang out Saturday… after pulling a bunch of pork and cutting a bunch of fruit for fruit cups. On Saturday we headed toward Old Main after work and greeted everyone: Marc, Matt K. Dan, Ivan, Ryan, Nick P., Khoa, Kristof and Boatz.
We kicked kicked kicked, and then went out for some grubs. Most of us went to Big Bowl who had stuck around. We ate food and drank dranks and had fun. Boatz thought he might have had scabies. Or flea bites. Or bedbug bites. I gave some people some of the Red Bean Sesame Balls I ordered (dessert like). Matt wouldn't accept it at first, but then I got him to take it. I insisted, really. Then I also gave one to Ryan and one to Nick.
After Big Bowl, Ben and I headed back to our apartment to freshen up for the night, then we headed to Shredhaus. Fun stuff with some drinks and jibbly. It was entertaining to watch Nick explain things to Kristof. Tickled Matt Kemmer. Tickled Boatz. Eventually, we all went out to the Arboretum to see bat cave. Exploring in the dark-ish was pretty fun. There were lots of tactile things to play around with (wind chimes, stone figures – mushrooms, caterpillar, etc.). We got to see some bats and birds.
Sunday, more kick. Watched a bug crawl through Matt’s arm hair? Leg hair?
Ben and I had to head out early, which was sad. But, it was great seeing everyone.

ERIE JAM!
Erie Jam was really fun because I now have a newfound appreciation for Net. This was the first time I really watched Net since there’s usually freestyle somewhere else and Net people wake up earlier.
I rode with Zach Hoffa (thanks for the ride), Ivan, and Ben in Zach’s jeep. Ivan and Zach picked us up in State College Friday afternoon, where we then set off towards Erie! We got to Anthony/Tony’s place around 7PM, where he was preparing dinner. His place is really nice! And he has a kitty named Tidbit.
We eventually headed towards the back of his house to kick and hang out.
Jim Hogan eventually arrived, and soon we had dinner that Tony was preparing. A pleasant surprise for the lot of us. It was delicious! Biscuits and chicken with homemade gravy, and Brussel sprouts with homemade cheese sauce. Herbs and the like were picked from his/his lady’s personal garden.
There was a fireplace where we all hung around for a bit, and Dan Greer showed up (perhaps earlier than the fire). We eventually all went back into the house and some kicked.
Then sleep!
Saturday! We all woke up pretty early around 8:30AM or so, but didn’t actually leave the house until 11ish. We were also told that there was a motorcycle event in the city, so downtown was busy and the like, but it was funny to see all of the cyclists on the road, traveling in packs and stuff.
This event was so well organized! There was free food! Tony’s mom was going to DJ but there wasn’t any electricity outlets (I think that was the issue) available so it didn’t happen, but his parents were very supportive and stuck around for the whole event.

For now, a picture is worth a thousand words, so here are some thousands of words in the form of pictures:

My memories are fuzzy for write-ups and it’s kind of more like: You had to be there. It was awesome. Sorry for the lack of vivid description though.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTHER STUFF!
So, I started working at the game/card store and it’s not as bad as I thought it would be (anxiety-wise), and is actually pretty nice. The only thing is that they recently installed an alarm system which sort of freaks me out because I am a closer and have to turn the alarm on. You have 60 seconds to get out before the alarm is actually armed/set and it goes: Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep…. BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP. So…. Yeah. This week has been pretty busy since I have shifts for all three of my jobs, but it’ll be nice for the money. Yay!

Next up is NYneFA YAM! I’m thinking of making a yam thing? (dessert or something)

Also, I came across this the other day and it reminded me of footbag, and Jay.
April Tou

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 21 Jul 2015 11:49

Whoa! Yeah, that bird totally looks like Jay. Crazy.

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 21 Jul 2015 20:34

bluevampire101 wrote:Woooo. Finally doing a write up. A write up full of write ups.
I write up because Ivan’s Achilles tendon BLEW UP. So he doesn’t have to do one. If he doesn’t want to.
Just to clarify: this was a joke from the weekend. My achilles is fine, never felt better. People just remembered that I got injured at my last net event and were asking what happened, and I would say that "I tore my achilles tendon". Dan Greer insisted I say "my achilles tendon BLEW UP" so it would sound cooler and I could use it as my excuse for everything down the line. I told him to play go with his hard balls and nets. He did.

Thanks for the concern. I'm just a bit sore from the weekend. Net isn't that dangerous of a game. Nice write up April. I knew my decision to skip out on write-up duties was a good one.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 22 Jul 2015 09:39

I realized I had also forgotten some highlights from Erie: (in words)
-Dan Greer and Ivan made motorcycle sounds from their mouths that sounded like animal noises instead (to me)
-Marshmallows at the fireplace
-We kicked outside of the Brew-Erie. Let me repeat: The Brew-ERIE. :D
-Dan and dicks and kicks
^ - Dan said dicks while he kicks
-Everyone touched Ivan's towel Saturday morning
-Zach learned the words phallic and yonic
-Zach mentioned Anton as a man-dude
-Ivan said he had a poop shower (I will give no context to this)

-Dan the Man -- what a character! :) Wocka wocka
-Homeless guy asked to use Zach's vaporizer
-Zach disinfecting his vaporizer
-The Black Bean and Corn Salsa. Addicting.

-Went to a Mediterranean place with Ben called Habiba
-We had Turkish coffee (my first time trying it) -- Delicious!
-Ben's vegetarian platter -- Hummus was very good
-I got a steak burger with fries

-Zach's tire blew out
-Andy's Pub - Free pizza and wings!

-On the way back from Andy's Pub, Ben yelled "Fag" at a motorcyclist (South Park reference)

It was an event well worth the mosquito bites.
April Tou

Lycanthrope
BSOS Beast

Post by Lycanthrope » 06 Aug 2015 01:20

wow, there are so many pictures in your blog! I'm jelly.

It's cool to see that you've done fairy ducking!
Evan 'OP' Gatesman