Set Phasers To Love Me! [April's Footblog (PSU)]

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Set Phasers To Love Me! [April's Footblog (PSU)]

Post by bluevampire101 » 26 Jul 2013 13:24

Hi there! My name is April Tou and I'm a super beginner to footbag. I'm from San Diego, CA, but go to PSU now and sort of kind of got into footbag back in about April (so like... 3 months ago, more or less), although I haven't really done much until pretty recently. I went to the PSU Jam and got to meet a lot of cool people (not sure if anyone remembers me), but at the time, I was juggling, since I was still learning toe stalls (with Converse). Hmm.. not sure what else to put now besides that I've been practicing with Nadiah (well... we've met up twice now) and she let me borrow a pair of her old lavers (which is real nice), and here are some things that I think I hit (although of course, I'm not that good at them still):

-Toe Stalls
-Inside Stalls
-Outside Stalls
-Clippers
-Walkovers

:D My next set of tricks/goals that I have: ATW, Mirage, Legover

And some more little details about myself or what-have-you: I'm a sophomore majoring in Psychology/Philosophy. I learned to juggle this past September-ish and can juggle 3 balls/clubs/rings, 4 ball, and am working on 5 ball (hopefully by the end of the year). There's probably more that I'd like to say (especially about the people that I've met), but we'll see how that goes, I guess (meaning I might add more later).
Last edited by bluevampire101 on 16 Oct 2013 07:52, edited 3 times in total.
April Tou
kicker, stitcher, footbag enthusiast, baker of PSUFC

"Drill until it's ingrained." -old Indian proverb according to a book I read

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Re: April's Footblog - [insert witticisms here]

Post by Cass » 27 Jul 2013 06:16

Hey April!

Its super awesome to hear about another woman playing footbag! It can be tough at first but I encourage you to keep at it because footbag is a super rewarding hobby and you will meet tonnes of amazing people if you stick with it and make it to more events. Make sure you practice everything both sides and get those basic stalls super consistent before you start working on harder tricks. Having a good foundation is really important for building your style and having nice long strings. It will also allow you to learn more advanced tricks will less difficulty.

Hopefully we shall meet in the not-too-distant future.

Have fun and keep shredding!

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 27 Jul 2013 07:18

Awesome! you have a footblog!

Seriously, these things are really fun when you take the time to update them and they can help you get through slumps in progress when the going gets tough. The PSU club now has 4 active and slightly 2 less active footblogs - looks like we'll be killin it in the next few years. Lets all get good this year.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 28 Jul 2013 15:21

Cassy: Hi there! Thanks for the tips! :D I also hope we meet soon!

Ivan: Yeah! I actually like blogging, but I've been in a slump for my personal one... *sigh* But that's awesome! And of course we're all going to get good this year. I'm sure of it :D

In other news, today I practiced a bit with Nadiah again. Today was more of a slow day, but I hit ATW twice (but I don't think I've actually quite got it... still a work in progress - as is everything though), and also practiced toe stalls, inside stalls, and clippers.
April Tou

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 29 Jul 2013 07:12

Props on your first ATW. Important milestone.

The thing that finally made them click for me was realizing that I didn't have to hurry at all.

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 31 Jul 2013 11:23

Welcome, welcome! Looks who made a new footblog!
I hope that you'll have the chance to go to a lot of sessions during the school year. I'll be looking forward to that!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 07 Aug 2013 08:09

Hey April!

It was great kicking with you the other day during my stop-over at PSU! Your basics are really looking great, keep at them! I'm going to be trying to visit PSU maybe once a month if I can, so I'm sure we'll be kicking again sooner than later. Shit, actually, I'm coming up this weekend to see Nadiah graduate! Maybe we can all get together for another session. Cool! Awesome! Yeah! Neat! Cya soon and keep practicing!
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 07 Aug 2013 10:32

Asmus - Thanks! I'm actually not sure if they quite click for me yet... but it's getting there!

Khoa - Thanks! I hope I'll be able to go to a lot of sessions during the school year too! I should be able to! I'm excited! :)

Nick - It definitely was great! It was super fun and thanks for all the tips :D And yeah! That'd be cool if we have another session this weekend (which would be perfect timing because I leave Monday morning, barely missing Nate's farewell gathering thing (that sucks!)). And I'll be sure to keep practicing :D Practice makes perfect!

So yeah, recently (this past... Sunday? I believe) I kicked with Nadiah, Nick, Derek, and Khoa and that was really fun. I don't think I hit anything new, but practiced on ATWs mostly and basic stalls. Then we all went to get food at Penn Kebab, which was good and cool. We got free tea!
April Tou

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 13 Aug 2013 14:05

Let's see... First off. I just recently finished summer school! (on Friday - good riddance). I had three classes (Psychology, Criminology, and Astronomy). Then I had to move out on Saturday from the dorms and stayed at a friend's house for the weekend. On Sunday, I met up with Khoa, Nick, Nate, Derek, and Greg to kick as part of Nate's farewell session (or so I've been told/heard). That was pretty fun, but it was in a different area than usual and I wasn't doing well at all really. I was practicing ATW, but only hit it a couple times. Everyone else seemed to be doing well though, so that was cool. After the session, Derek, Khoa, Nick, and I went to go eat at a pho (Vietnamese) restaurant, which was pretty good. Khoa was nice enough to pay for everyone's meal (Thanks again, Khoa!). Then we headed to Nate's place and Nick went to pick up Nate and Greg also eventually came and we mostly watched footbag videos (from Worlds). It was a jolly good time. At the end of the night, Nick was nice enough to drop Derek and me at our respective places (Thanks Nick!).

Monday, I caught a bus to Syracuse, where Doug picked me up and we headed back to Rochester. Today, we kicked near this cool reservoir. I was mostly practicing ATWs, kicks, and trying to learn the "magic hop." I also had a (short) string of toe stall to inside stall to toe stall, and attempted ATW bsos (with not much luck), but I think today was good for me for venturing from my comfort zone (of not trying difficult/new things - like strings and b2b stuff).
Anywho, I'm (still) excited to practice and get better. :)
April Tou

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 14 Aug 2013 13:27

Today, Doug and I kicked again, but this time at some tennis courts. Today, I hit ATW > op toe repeat (I guess that's what it's called, so says Doug), and Mirage bs, which calls for a sushi day (Groupon Deal: $50 worth for $25!). And then I also got toe stall to clipper both sides, which is something, right?
Yay for accomplishments!

Next: I suppose I'll be trying to hit Legover and Pickup. And probably also aim for the 1-add/2-add tricks listed on footbag.org! (Mind as well/I'm getting there).
April Tou

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 16 Aug 2013 14:02

Awesome that you and Doug kicked together! I was confused when Nate said "Say hi to Doug for us!" after you got out of my car lol Then he told me what he meant :P Anyway, good stuff, awesome you hit Mirage bs! and props on the clippers bs! I'm sure we'll be kicking sooner than later! Keep it up! Great improvements so far!
Nick Polini

Funblog

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 19 Aug 2013 20:33

clippers and mirages and atw whaaaa!!! Can't wait to kick at psu!
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 22 Aug 2013 15:23

Nick: Haha yeah, when Nate said that, it threw me off a bit. And thanks!

Ben: Yeah! Soon enough! Aka a couple days!

Kicked today again! Finally! It's been a while, or at least it feels like it (like almost a week, eh?). So, today I hit Orbit both sides, toe stall > far clipper on one side, and got 6 toe stalls b2b with the magic hop. I also footed legover a couples times (a lot of times but didn't fully get it *frustrated*). But I feel like I'll get it soon enough! Meaning next session! And shout-out to Doug because he's helpful ... I guess.
April Tou

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Re: April's Footblog

Post by bluevampire101 » 23 Aug 2013 19:14

Kicked for a short bit today outside an armory! It was somewhat late and the tennis courts were busy-ish. Anywho, today I hit 12 toe stalls b2b with the magic hop. It was a no-go on successfully hitting legover today, but I almost hit ATW > Orbit and vice versa (although almost doesn't quite cut it, does it?). I'm hoping to kick with the PSU Footbag Club tomorrow after I get back into State College and maybe hitting some things. That'd be cool. If anything, I'll try Sunday! And then sometime shortly after that! And so on!
April Tou

DTank126
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by DTank126 » 24 Aug 2013 15:58

I noticed you failed to mention how you got all excited when you saw this....

which you thought was this....

but was actually just this....

:P
Doug Tank

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 25 Aug 2013 11:03

Shut up Doug! That first blurry picture totally looks like it could be a mushroom. Still... It was night time and I don't remember if I had my glasses on! GOSH.

Anyway, yesterday/last night, after I got back to State College from Rochester through the Greyhound bus system (which actually turned out to be NY Trailways buses and a Fullington bus), I went straight to kick with the PSU Footbag Club, only to get there to hear them talking about moving to around the place I came from. But I did get to kick for a bit with Ivan, Ryan, Ben, George, Khoa, and Derek (kind of). It was split into two groups, so I was mainly kicking with Ryan, Ben, and Derek actually. But I didn't really do much... I was wearing pants (silly me), but got ATW a couple times and maybe Orbit. There was an alum next to the group (us) who apparently was head of the juggling club for a while (if I heard correctly he graduated 14 years ago?). A lot of people stopped by because there was the convocation for class of 2017 and sounded like a lot of people thought we were cool (or mainly everyone else because I can't do much). Then, we went to eat at Jersey Mike's! Which was cool. Saw high school football and some other stuff and talked and stuff and stuff. Anywho, waiting for the school year to start (Monday -- tomorrow) and getting to kick more and have a bunch of fun and learn more and get better and all that good stuff. :)
April Tou

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 27 Aug 2013 18:43

Yayyayayyyayayay! .... That's too many ya/yay's. Anyway, earlier today I kicked a bit with Ivan and Jeff before one of my classes except that didn't go too well for me considering I was wearing converse and a dress. Buuuuut whatever. Long day. Went to an officer (secretary) training for juggling club, then headed to change and kick with Ben and Marc, which was fun. At the end, I FINALLY hit legover... once, randomly, well. I think. I believe so. Other than that, I did some toe stalls, inside stalls, wrap, ATW, and orbit, or at least attempted all of those. I wasn't doing too well.... But I'm proud of that legover that no one saw! Except myself. Which doesn't necessarily mean it's true then. I might have imagined it. But yeah. I'm excited to kick more. And get better, still.

Also, random bit of my life --- aka school. First day of school was long. Filled. Classes, involvement fair for juggling, classes, involvement fair for juggling, talking to friends, walking with friends making my trip a bit longer, bookstore to get books, dorm to drop stuff off, ordering books/lavers/etc., dropping a class because I decided in the first five minutes being in it that I didn't like it (Intro to Well-Being and Positive Psychology), food to wait to eat, juggling more, waiting to eat still, then finally eating. Second day of school: bit of breakfast (tater tots, eggs, sausage patty, ketchup, OJ), classes, juggling club booth again, kicking (first part), classes, (second part with training and more kicking). Buying a lot of junk food to eat at my dorm. Waiting to eat food because I'm writing here.
I KNOW. What a story.
April Tou

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 31 Aug 2013 16:38

There was a pretty pretty awesome session today with the PSU footbag club! There was Ben, Ryan, Khoa, Derek, and Marc. Then people I just met today: Aidan, Kat, and Lauren. It was fun, fun, fun. Three girls total! Whoo! :D
Anywho, there was first me and Ben, then Aidan came by (who apparently is/was a freestyle soccer/football player first, and he's kicked a couple times before if I remember correctly). That was good and cool. Then Kat stopped by, left to go back to her dorm first. Then I think Khoa came next, then Marc and Ryan, then Kat, then Lauren, then Derek. Something like that. At some point, we split into two groups, where it was Marc, Kat, Lauren, and me. The other group was Derek, Ben, and Ryan, and Khoa (for a short bit, because at that point, Aidan started practicing freestyle football). I was mainly practicing toe stalls b2b with the magic hop, as well with some attempts at ATW/Orbit, and a couple times legover (which I got once or twice successfully, then tried the other side and almost had it). I also tried some wraps/inside stalls/toe>far clipper/mirage/pickup (I actually might have gotten Pickup once). Being the good sport I was, I didn't really pay attention to the others, but I'm sure they could tell you what they did themselves at some point.
After a while, we did a circle kick, which was fun. Then we went to go get pizza as a group. Funfunfun.
April Tou

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 31 Aug 2013 18:27

This group afterpartyfoodgetting stuff is BULLSHIT :P

We did that like once last year lol That's awesome, you guys have the club at the highest number of members we've ever had. Totally awesome! I really hope you guys keep it up! And 3 girls in the club now?! Awesome! That's so cool that you got another girl. You are the only club in North America with 3 female footbag players in it. That is way cool and totally speaks for itself. Props on the improvements, April! You're really owning it!

See ya soon!
Nick Polini

Funblog

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 31 Aug 2013 22:51

Hey, Dilly. Today was so fun. You were killing it with flow today. Thanks to you and all of the PSU Footbag club for a great session and (foor most, hopefully not last, shred video after party, AND pizza party downtown! Total props for today.
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?