Cass shreds - USO 2023

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Feminine Freestyle --- Movement Electronic Music Festiva

Post by Cass » 02 Jun 2015 09:45

Yeah!! That river was freakin amazing. So cool.

Thanks Dan! The combo at 0:57 was Atomsmasher (atomic far mirage) b2b. Not new for me but a fun combo nonetheless.

April!! You are such a sweetheart! Thank you for the kind offer, it is really appreciated! I really like your bags so I was pretty crushed to lose two of them. Maybe I will see you at artsfest or something :)

---

This appeared in my feed this morning:
It’s just too perfect considering I was going to do my Movement writeup today. Thankfully not all of these things were true about the festival. Enough were, however, that it is doubtful that I will return.

---

Movement!!

So I got home super late Tuesday evening from California. Spent the next three days recovering, doing hot yoga (how I missed that!), laundry etc. The week flew by and in no time it was Friday! Anton invited me to stay Friday evening at his place in Pontiac MI. At the last minute I decided to take him up on that offer so that I wouldn’t have to do super lots of driving before partying hard on Saturday.

The drive to Michigan is the easiest of the local footbag scenes, it’s so nice! A straight shot for about 3.5 hours on really nice Canadian highways. A border crossing that’s never busy. Detroit area has speed limits of 70mph so you can just rip the whole way.

I arrived at Antons late Friday evening. Jordan was already sleeping. It was great to see Anton! We spent time catching up and met with the coach before crashing.

Saturday morning was pretty chill. I got up fairly early, had a light breakfast, did some yoga. Time wasn’t moving fast enough! Jordan and I were just itching for it to be time to go do the fun things!

In the early afternoon we took separate cars to Detroit for the festival. Jordan joined me for the ride. It was nice to have company. I parked my car in a garage super near Hart Plaza to be left there for the weekend. There is so much parking in Detroit! I thought it would be more of a challenge due to the festival.

Waiting in the ‘will call’ line to get our wristbands was torture. The sun was hot and the lines were crowded. People were smoking butts within 2 feet in every direction. It’s not the worst line I’ve been in but it definitely wasn’t pleasant. About 45 minutes later we had our wristbands. I made the mistake of tightening mine too much and had to live with it for the whole weekend.

In order to enter the festival we had to go through a separate line [that was much faster thankfully] to get searched. No food or liquids allowed. Kinda ridiculous. The searches were really inconsistent. I managed to get an orange in one time. Drew lost his sunscreen at one point which was absolutely stupid.

This was my first music festival. I guess it was pretty much what I expected. So many people! If I have a type of people that isn’t footbaggers or yogi’s it’s definitely ravers. They are so unique and interesting and cool. The people watching was great.

Hart Plaza is this really neat old place in Detroit that is basically an old abandoned transportation hub. The festival had six different stages. There was so much going on all the time! There was a central spot with a fountain. Tons of interesting vendors that I avoided for financial reasons. The food situation was somewhat unfortunate - greasy greasy food trucks. I did manage to find a smoothie place that sold bananas which I lived on for most of the event. The first day bananas were $1. On subsequent days they were $2. Go figure.

Once inside the event we met up with Mikie, Alyssa, and Drew!! Yayyyy. We met at the Beatport stage which seemed to be one of the better places to be in general. There was a cool pyramid thing with different levels that people could hang out and dance on. Behind there was this cement area kind of underground that was great for chilling and hacking and stuff. There was also a washroom that not that many people were aware of. I was most stoked about this because the lineups to go pee were actually quite reasonable and the facilities weren’t absolutely disgusting.

We geared up for some kickybag! Drew didn’t have his gear so he only kicked casually. I kicked a bit with Anton and Mikie but we were chilling in a spot with way too much traffic. I kind of just wanted to bust but too many people were joining the circle trying to circle kick. I had four or five really decent runs that I was happy with and then called it quits for the day.

The music was so perfect for footbag! When I wasn’t distracted by people walking through the circle and stuff I got into a really good groove a few times. Love those house beats.

View from the side of the Beatport stage. Canada in the background.

I made the mistake of not eating enough before the festival on Saturday and ate greasy pizza and festival shawarma for lunch. That did not agree with me and I resolved to make better choices for the remainder of the weekend.

At some point in the afternoon I headed to the hotel where I would be staying with Mikie, Alyssa, and Drew. It was a 10 minute walk which wasn’t to bad at all. The hotel was actually really nice! We scored an accessible room somehow which meant we had lots of extra space. We showered, geared up to party and headed back to the festival.

Aside from the Beatport stage, the Redbull stage seemed like the place to be a lot of the time. Surprisingly, my favourite act all weekend turned out to be Method Man! He’s not even a DJ but he totally killed it! He did some old school Wu Tang shit that was just unreal.

I didn’t spend time worrying about who was playing on which stage. I just went with the flow all weekend which was cool. I had never heard of the vast majority of DJ’s anyways.

I was lucky that Drew brought that scarf. It totally kept me warm that day!

Never in my life have I seen so many hack circles in one place as I did at Movement! They appeared organically. What a beautiful thing! I had a lot of fun joining some of them and just kicking the bag around. I know some freestylers that like to join circles and show off. That’s not really my style. I much prefer to join and play their game. It’s fun to fly under the radar and try and impress people with my kicks and flyers rather than stalls and dexes.

Massive hack circle with Mikie in the middle

Festival people are so chill. I didn’t get sexually assaulted a single time all weekend. This pleases me greatly. I can’t even spent 2 hours at a bar without getting touched inappropriately.

The vibes definitely change as the sun goes down. I’m not sure how to explain it but things seem to get a little freakier. There was so much dancing to be done!

The festival closed at midnight. I said goodbye to Anton and Jordan and headed back to the room with Mikie, Alyssa, and Drew. We were pretty beat already but we had purchased tickets to an afterparty and were determined to go. After some chill time in the room we walked to the establishment nearby to keep partyin.

The after party didn’t end up being that great. The venue was kinda lame, it was packed and the music was sub-par. I ate a hot dog and a bag of chips for dinner while we were there. I apologised to my body and promised to treat it better tomorrow.

We lost Drew for a while. When we found him he seemed rather disconcerted. “Girls keep asking me if I’m okay and I’m just like ‘where are my people?’” Soon after that we headed back to crash.

Sunday was the day!

I went for a nice walk with Drew first thing in the morning. I wanted to buy some grocery-type things but unfortunately the store we went to was not open. We did stop by a nice little shop to grab a coffee. We sat for a while on the steps of the building and enjoyed a peaceful moment

I thought this was a nice view of the city.

The four of us hit up the all you can eat hotel breakfast. I resolved to eat as much as possible with the knowledge that this would be my only meal today. Bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, and soo much fruit! Om nom nom.

Back at the room I put on some chill music for yoga and it put Mikie and Alyssa to sleep. When I was done stretching I joined Drew for a bit of a nap as well, cause why not. Those hotel beds are hella cushy. Drew got a message from his friend Julie that she was already there. I was pretty much ready to go so I geared up and we headed to the festival to meet her.

Julie is super cool and the three of us chilled until we met up with the others, including Anton and his posse.

We chose a better shred location on Saturday next to a different stage that had some nice flat cement with a huge circular statue. There wasn’t any foot traffic here which was really nice. There were some other people doing cool hobby things including hooping, poi and roller skating. It was also a neat spot because people waiting in line to get into the festival could watch us shred [without getting in the way].

Sunday shred! Note the roller blading kid in the purple morph suit. He had some skillz.

This was definitely the best shred of the weekend. It was Anton, Mikie, Drew, and myself. So fun! Drew played really well which I was super stoked to see! I haven’t seen him kick like that in quite a while. Everyone had some great runs and encouragement from spectators totally got us pumped. I got applause and cheers for a few of my runs which felt awesome. My game was really feeling on point. Good vibes and great music.

I didn’t freestyle for too long in order to save some energy for the partying! We walked back to the hotel with Julie to shower, rest, and pregame for the evening. I really enjoyed talking with Julie about various things. She’s cool.

I hadn’t talked with the coach all day. At one point Drew and I were chilling in the middle part near the fountain waiting to meet up with people and this Jamaican guy near us was rolling up a fatty. I think he saw me eying it and was nice enough to smoke me out. What a sweetheart! That got me so amped! I was ready to dance now.

The sculpture above the fountain in the middle part

I had the most fun partying Saturday evening! Some of Anton and Jordan’s friends had a hammock that they set up in a dope location above the right side of the main stage. It was such a good spot because it wasn’t too crowded and there was grass to dance on! Grass is so wonderfully forgiving on the body after so much shredding/dancing on pavement. Being able to take time to rest in the hammock was so nice. One of my favourite moments of the weekend was just chillin in that hammock with Mikie with so many amazing people around.

View at the back of the main stage

I love dancing!

Thank heavens for $2 bananas. Watching Anton demolish food is so great.

I made sure to say goodbye to Julie since she was only around for one day. She told me that I was her favourite person that she met at the festival. This is one of the nicest compliments I’ve ever gotten. I hope to hang out with her again some day. It’s great to make cool new lady friends.

I ended up at Anton’s place again Sunday night. It was a rough night after such a good day. I ended up getting kind of ill (probably should have eaten more) and then my allergies prevented me from sleeping. I got maybe two hours.

Anton made an awesome breakfast of bacon, eggs, and pancakes. So yummy.

I decided not to freestyle on Monday. I didn’t have the energy to carry my gear around or the patience to deal with festival people in my way. Instead I brought only my party necessities and did some circle kicking.

I was kinda hurtin’ on Monday and made a super clutch investment in ibuprofen and earplugs. Should have got earplugs sooner. It made the world so much less offensive.

I obtained some chalk and made up a foursquare court. Drew and I had a pretty fun game of squares with a barefoot guy and a guy with some solid kicks bs. The guy wearing shoes almost won. He had game point but Drew faked him out like 9 times in a row and beat him. The guy just didn’t learn.

The guy who almost won was determined to start a new religion that would allow use of the Freedom of Religion Act to skirt drug laws. He was totally serious about it. I wished him luck. Interesting individual.

There was a lot of good circle kicking action on Monday. Anton shredded it up most of the day. I couldn’t believe how much he kicked. It was nutty.

Hack circles in the cement pit!

Griz and Snoop dogg closed out the main stage on Monday. I wasn’t really feeling Griz and then Snoop dogg ended up being absolutely brutal. Drew wanted to check out Squarepusher instead so I went with him to that for a while. It’s some really crazy intense IDM (intelligent dance music). The visual graphics were insane. My brain just couldn’t handle that.

At the end of the final evening I said one last goodbye to Anton and Jordan and trecked back to the hotel. Mikie and Alyssa crashed pretty soon. I stayed up until around 4 with Drew just chilling and talking about random things. I don’t even know what. I was really grateful Drew made it to this event. Otherwise I would’ve been third/fifth wheeling couples all weekend. Don’t get me wrong, they are freakin awesome couples, but it’s definitely not ideal.

Tuesday morning I got up early enough to get some yoga practice in. I managed to do a lot of yoga throughout this weekend which made a big difference in my overall wellbeing. Gotta take care of yourself in order to party to the max.

We were all pretty dead. What a nutty weekend. There was one last adventure I was hoping to embark on before returning to Canadia.

I said my goodbyes to Drew, Mikie and Alyssa and hung around the hotel lobby for a while. I didn’t have any phone service [as usual] and I needed wifi cause I was waiting to hear back from Zach Jahner.

I had a really nice chat with this 70 year old lady who was super awesome! She asked me about why all the young people were around and I told her about the festival. I learned she is a photographer and was invited to check out and photograph the festival but she ended up getting a paid job instead. We talked about lots of different things including hooping, footbag and travel. I want to be as cool as her when I’m that age. She has two master’s degrees and has travelled all over the place. For the past six months she’s been living out of her car staying at hotels and couch surfing and stuff. It’s amazing the people you can meet if you are open to engaging with them. I wish I had bothered to get her contact information.

The rad old lady said something that really struck me as true and awesome about the rave community. She noted that the people visiting town were really polite and cultured. She said something to the effect of “I’m old so people tend to want to help me but they don’t normally look me in the eye. A lot of these young people will actually look at me and smile!” The truth and beauty of this really struck me.

It warms my heart to be a part of such connected communities of people. Be it raving, footbagging, or doing yoga it’s really special to be a part of a community where you can smile at or strike up a conversation with somebody that you don’t know without fear of being shut down or labelled a weirdo.

Eventually Zach got back to me with his home address so I shook the brilliant woman’s hand and wished her well.

Zach couldn’t make it out to movement so I was really pleased that he was available to kick Tuesday afternoon. I drove to his house in Troy and we caught up a bit and chatted with the coach. Soon it was shred time! It was a nice sunny day, so much great weather!

I was stoked to have a serious kick after trying to kick at a festival all weekend. Maybe I got a little too serious haha. At first it was really intense. No talking, no props. Just hardcore shred back and fourth. I was nearly dead within like 20 or 30 minutes and we decided to chill out a bit and have some fun haha. Anton dropped by about halfway through our shred. That was a nice surprise since I wasn’t expecting to see him again. He was looking real dapper having just returned from a lifeguard job interview.

Anton hit us with some fun requests. He asked me to hit Frankenstein which I got third try. Not bad.

When Zach and Anton play they like to try to finish the shred with 30 guiltless sealed with a 5 ADD. Seemed like fun! Zach had a really nice run sealed in a five and I was like "Well, I guess I better step up!" and immediately did over 30 guiltless. I just couldn't quite get set up for that last trick. Nonetheless, it was cool that we both got the 30 back to back.

Zach is so fun to kick with. What a treat! He has such cool style and he also like Swirly tricks which is neat. He does more symple ones whereas I like muted ones. It’s a nice contrast.

That was such a fun session that simply did not last long enough. I don’t even know how I still had energy. We chilled out a bit after the shred and I finally tried my first dab! It wasn’t what I expected at all. I liked it.

Eventually I hit the road back home. I mobbed the whole way making record time. I was home in under four hours.

The few recovery days after movement were rough. May was such a crazy month!! It was really weird trying to settle back into home life not having a job or anything.

Overall, Movement was a killer time! It was also an exhausting, brain-melting money-suck. As a result I probably will not go back.

I went out with some friends this past Friday night to party in Toronto. I had an incredible time! It reminded me how freakin’ amazing Toronto’s rave culture is. There is one after hours club in particular that just has the best music, people etc. I can have such a good time raving there for so much less money. I love that city.

In conclusion, Movement was fun but partying in Toronto is much more economical. In the future my travel resources will continue to be allocated to footbag events [and possibly yoga retreats].

Whoa this blog turned out to be way longer than anticipated. Thanks for reading if you got through it all!

<3

Derek
Fearless

Re: Feminine Freestyle --- California Part 3

Post by Derek » 02 Jun 2015 15:32

That video killed me :lol:
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Max Power
Fearless

Re: Feminine Freestyle --- California Part 3

Post by Max Power » 02 Jun 2015 16:40

Great write up Cassy, I totally forgot about that morning walk. That picture of the city looks almost fake did you put a filter on it or something? I think that picture totally captures the vibe of the city, tall buildings and no people haha. I am also happy that you came so I wouldn't be the third/fifth wheel. That video at the top is so right, I had a moment like that where they took my sunscreen, "Come to our festival, where we have very little shade and tons of sun but you can't bring sunscreen, for no appernet reason". Some rules just don't make any sense... The video leaves out the part where you have the best time of your life and stop caring about getting your things taken from you haha. Hope to see you soon :D
Drew Martin

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Feminine Freestyle --- Movement Electronic Music Festiva

Post by Cass » 04 Jun 2015 15:02

Yeah Drew, I almost forgot the walk as well! That photo reminded me actually. I applied an HDR filter to the photo with Snapseed. I find it really makes cityscapes pop.

Today was my fourth solo shred session and my 6th day of hot yoga in a row. I’m on a roll :D I forced myself to go to a core class after kicking yesterday. It was brutal as anticipated and exactly what I needed.

I added four new songs to my shred playlist today. There’s one in particular that I have really liked for a while. It never fails to make me dance! Turns out it also goes so perfectly with my shred! My first run through with that song I had a massive run! It’s the one. I’m really stoked to finally have found a second routine song. There’s no way I will get sick of it. I played through it about 10 times today. It’s got some great cues that I can use and it just fits so well.

So yeah. Hella stoked on my new routine. Still practicing my primary routine also.

I’ve been doing some serious basement purging this week. It has brought up lots of weird emotions and stuff. Frustration, nostalgia. It’s liberating to get rid of stuff. I’ve also made a little cash at the pawn shop which is helpful considering I’m not working currently.

Found my old scooter from when I was a kid (see video). It’s freakin’ sweet. I think I’m gonna rock it in Copenhagen this summer. Hell yes.

Here’s a couple little runs from today. Nothing crazy but I like the location.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALVkseAM ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

<3

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Feminine Freestyle ---

Post by Cass » 05 Jun 2015 10:14

I got my masters today.

I feel like I’m gonna vomit.

Allan

Post by Allan » 05 Jun 2015 10:45

Congrats!!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 07 Jun 2015 20:02

YES!!! I bet it feels awesome, with a bit of 'shit, now what?' ?

Anyway, I will go shred now to congratulate you, Master T. :)

EDIT:
I just had likely the best session I have had in 2 years or so, maybe more. Recently I have been trying to incorporate my flip fairy as you suggested, and it feels great to try throwing it. Thank you.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 08 Jun 2015 11:16

Thanks Allan and TJ! It's definitely a relief with a whole pile of 'shit, now what?'

Glad to hear the flip fairy is coming along!

Yesterday I drove out to Toronto to meet up with Alex at Christie Pits!!

I’m so stoked he’s back in the city right now. We had so much fun hanging out!

The footbag session was super fun. I wasn’t playing my best because I overexerted myself doing other stuff on the weekend. Alex played really well! His control and consistency is way up! It was a beautiful day for shred.

When we finished kicking I learned that Alex was free for the evening and suggested we check out Cherry Beach. There’s a DJ event that happens there on Sundays during the summer. We grabbed beer and burgers at a nearby pub and then made our way to the lakefront.

Alex downed an entire bottle of wine in a matter of minutes because he was afraid security would take it. Took it like a champ.

The event actually exceeded my expectations! The music was great and it was a lot of fun dancing in the sand. We also had some really good talks on the beach.

After Cherry Beach we wanted to keep the party going so we went back downtown. Grabbed a couple drinks and some edamame at the Red Room and then rolled over to Comfort Zone. CZ is just the best. The DJ’s are just so damn good! It was pretty chill cause it was Sunday night but still lots of cool people around.

Before we knew it 5am rolled around. Time flies when you're with amazing friends. I gave Alex a lift home and slept sooo well.

Gotta get back to my USO training this week. Time is running out!

<3

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 01 Jul 2015 13:11

Whoa.

The dream of the 90’s is alive in Portland.

The only photo I took in Portland.

Prior to USO I spent a week in the forest with a bunch of hippies. It was magical. I was detached from technology for a while and that trend mostly continued with USO.

So yeah.. Portland was pretty fuckin rad. Write up coming soon.

I leave for worlds three weeks from today 8O

<3

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 01 Jul 2015 13:31

Looking forward to reading some words here. You are the write up queen (in my eyes). Best of luck with worlds, and everything in between. I don't suppose we'll see you at Arts Fest this year? (July 11-12th)
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 09 Jul 2015 10:35

Thanks Ivan!! Unfortunately ArtsFest is not in the cards this year. I just can't afford the gas, time or energy to make this event so close to worlds. I hope y'all have a blast!

Life is so busy lately! I have gotten so behind on blogging.

Solstice festival was absolutely incredible. One of the best times ever. I met somebody really special there. He lives in Toronto so we have actually been able to spend time together since the event. Johnny Suderman was there. We got two really fun shreds in together over the course of the week. He is such a great presence to have at any event. I'm so grateful he encouraged me to go.

Portland was a great adventure however I’m just not sure I have the time or energy to make a full writeup happen right now. It was so much fun hanging at Nick’s place all weekend with Derek, Kevin, and Dustin!

I was behind on sleep going into this event which made it a bit rough.

Some highlights:

Chilling and shredding by the water on Friday.
Meeting Justin Dale at the registration party! What an amazing person.
Meeting Cale and his lovely girlfriend Kristal. Super cool people.
Hogan freaking out about coach
Meeting Derek’s sis
Watching Portlandia in Portland
“Rain or shine” coffee shop being closed due to heat

Competition on Saturday was cool. I wasn’t able to get into the zone for my routine and I got around 5 drops. I was pretty unhappy with it. Just barely made it to finals. A walk with Derek made me feel better. Just in time for circle.

Circle comp was so fun! I had Nick, Brian, and Kevin in my circle! Great vibes. I feel that everyone played well.

Lots of sideline shred! I did a pretty good job of kicking with mostly everyone.

The weather in Portland was great all weekend! Pretty hot and humid. Way less rainy than last year.

The naked bike ride was hilariously awesome. So Portland. Made for difficulty navigating. Some of us met up at the bar with the giant jenga. It was pretty busy though. Got some jello shots and eventually headed over to Jake’s place for the party Saturday night. I was pretty dead. Spent a lot of time just laying on the floor and stuff. Chilling on the deck. Jim Penske talking to coach for 3 hours straight. Fireworks at the park with Justin Dale, Justin Blotsky, and Hogan. So funny.

Routine finals were really fun to watch Sunday. I performed a different routine that I’ve only been working on a few weeks. It went pretty well! Only two drops. I was happy with that. Beat my seed for 6th place.

Lots more sideline shredz. Good music.

Flash dancing with me on stage.

Lots of goodbyes as the main event wrapped up. So many cool people.

Went out for food after with Ken, Haley, Bob, Kevin, Derek, Khoa, Chris and Nick. Some good chats and whatnot. Then headed to a different bar. This time it was just Derek, Kevin, Chris, Khao, and Eudora. Alcohol is so cheap in Portland! So many silly shenanigans. Things got a little messy.

“Derek Littlefield!”

Barely sleeping at all Sunday night. Brutal.

Water temple didn’t happen due to construction. Sad. Monday funday was awesome though!! I really wish I’d had more energy. I ended up napping in the grass for a while. A disc hit me in the head and woke me up just in time to say goodbye to flash. Kicked a bit here and there. There were some really solid intermediate level players that showed up for Monday Funday. Joined a random hack circle and met James Chance! He knew who I was. So cool.

Hangouts on the last night with Chris, Kevin, Nick, Alysun, Emma, and Derek.

Went to a grocery store to grab dinner. Instead of food Hogan bought fireworks. Drunken Hogan with fireworks is slightly terrifying. Shenanigans in the field.

Actually got some sleep for once.

Said goodbye to Nick in the morning as he headed for work. What a great host! Chilled with Kevin and Derek for a bit. Kevin left on an excursion to try to fix his phone. Final hangouts with Derek. I’m really grateful to have had the chance to spend a decent amount of time with him on this trip.

The travels back were pleasantly uneventful. Watched a bunch of Portlandia and Modern Family on the plane. It’s weird consuming so much media in one sitting. Definitely helped time go by though.

Got back late enough that transit home to Oshawa wouldn’t really work and I wasn’t about paying the $120 cab ride. Ended up going to the city and partying for Canada day until morning when I could take the train home. Super legit.

Spent Canada day with Ethan. Watching the fireworks was fucking magical.

I’m leaving for Copenhagen in less than two weeks and there’s still so much to be done! It would be really nice to have some kind of employment to look forward to. Haha.

This past Sunday we had a FAT session at Bellwoods in Toronto. Alex, Johnny, JJ, and Zach came out to shred. Ethan came out and kicked a bit and Erik and Laura came to hang out as well. Such a trippy day. We shredded on the stage in the dog bowl. So many dogs lol. Such a fun session. I was surprised so many people made it out! I found my flow a few times and had some runs that just felt incredible. A band was there jamming on stage. It's always nice to have live tunes.

Did some slacklining after with Ethan, Alex, and JJ. Camille came out to chill for a bit as well. She rolled up on the most awesome green and orange bicycle with her pup Otto in the trailer behind her. So fucking badass.

I really need to get back to practising routines. I registered for both women's and open routines at worlds.

I cut my own hair for the first time today. It was liberating as hell. Would do again.

There. I finally blogged. Phew.

<3

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 05 Aug 2015 14:50

So worlds happened.

I'm working on the write up in bits and pieces. It'll probably take some time. This event brought some real challenges. It wasn't quite the fairy tail Montreal 2013 was for me. It's a lot to process. I have a lot of thoughts about footbag and life swimming around my brain right now. Before this event I was questioning whether I still loved footbag.

I'm pretty sure I do.

It feels good to be home. I wasn't even sad today.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 19 Aug 2015 09:27

*2 week bump*

Definitely curious to see your take on Worlds 2015. You're the Queen of Event Blogging...stop holding out on us!

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 19 Aug 2015 15:55

^Ditto
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Feminine Freestyle --- Copenhagen 2015!

Post by Cass » 20 Aug 2015 09:20

Okay, okay. Thank's for the kick in the butt guys. It might be a little fragmented/incomplete but here it is.

Thursday July 23

Spent all night on the plane getting very little sleep if any. Arrived shortly after 10am local time. The first things I notice about Copenhagen are how readily available beer is and how friendly people are. Signs at the airport at bilingual which is comforting.

I make my way to the hostel I will be staying at for my first two and last two nights in Copenhagen. Almost get on the train instead of the metro. Whoops.

Outside Sleep in Heaven Hostel

The hostel seems pretty decent. I crash for a couple hours.

I walked over to the nearby park to meet up with people that just finished shredding. Matt Emmings, Nick Landes and Derek were there as I recall. I also met Troels. We hung out at Verenas place a bit and soon she arrived with Caroline!

My memory from this day is pretty fuzzy but I know I was beat and I was going to call it an early night. I headed back to the Hostel. Before going to bed I had a feeling I should go to the main hostel part and check the smoking section. Sure enough I find Alex talking shit with a bunch of other travellers! He gave me an enthusiastic hug and connecting with him got me stoked enough to stay up. We hung out and had a couple beers at the hostel before venturing to the creepy/sketchy clown bar called Klovnens to meet up with others. Luckily we caught everyone before they left. This is where I met Asmus and his brother Peder. I learned how to pronounce some Danish words. Alex and Derek were pretty sloshed. I walked Alex back to the hostel before making the venture to check out Derek’s hotel.

Friday July 24

Friday morning I reluctantly dragged myself out of bed and met up with Verena to do an interview for a footbag research project she is working on. I was flattered that she asked me to be a part of that. I wish I’d had better answers to some of the questions. There are some issues I’m still pretty confused/undecided about. I also think my perspective about some of the stuff we discussed might have changed since the interview.

After the interview Verena and I had a one on one shred!! This was super fun. Verena is a great player with a strong style. Her blenders rock. She definitely pushed me. Probably the most intense session of worlds for me.

Friday evening Evan and Anna arrived! There were hangouts at Verena’s and some kicking at the park.

Saturday July 25

Saturday morning I had to walk in the rain with all my luggage to the airBnB pad. Alex, Derek, Chrissy, Nazly, Ted F, Jim H, Mathieu G, Matt E and I would be staying there. It was pretty damn swanky. Plenty of space.

We had somewhat of a misadventure downtown when we attempted to rent cheap bicycles. Went too far on the bus and had to turn around. Unfortunately Alex and Derek didn’t get their transfers and decided to split off on foot. Ted, Jim, Chrissy, Nazly and I walked forever trying to find the bike place. When we finally found it they were closed. A lot of places seem to change hours in the summer and it is not reflected in the information online. By this point I was absolutely exhausted, had to pee really bad, and making a sincere effort not to be overly irritable. We eventually found those bikes you use your credit card to rent for a short period of time and make it back to the airBnB site. Still no proper rental bikes.

When Alex and Derek finally returned we found out that they didn’t have a map, had gotten lost a bunch, and walked basically all over Copenhagen.

Way too much time and energy was spent not having bikes and trying to find rental bikes. This is something I wish I’d been more prepared for.

After the whole bike debacle I spent a chillin evening of reading and listening to music with super cool housemates.

The swanky balcony of our apartment

Sunday July 26

Picked up some groceries at the kinda lame store near our place. Denmark has some pretty great dairy products but I find the bread things to be really heavy.

When to the event site and caught the opening ceremonies, checked in, met a bunch of new people and hung out. I must have kicked too. I’m pretty sure I kicked every day of worlds except the first Saturday, but never for really extended periods of time. I remember being really impressed by Taishi and and Jakub. They wear both tearing shit up.

Outside the main venue

Hangouts Sunday night were at Hans Tavsens park. Then when it got unbearably dark we migrated to stand outside some bar somewhere and drink. Cause apparently that’s what you do in Copenhagen.

Alex bought a bottle of wine with a cork but did not have a way to open it. The Danish guys told him to bang the bottle against a tree trunk. Alex thought they were fucking with him. The look of elation on his face when the cork popped out after he spent a couple minutes banging the bottle
on the tree was just priceless.

Monday July 27

FINALLY getting a bicycle.

Circle contest semi finals. I went head to head with Chrissy. It was interesting having a two person circle comp. It made for added intensity which I kinda liked. I performed well, ending the density round with a hand catch. Vasek gave me props.

I got to kick with Taishi. He is so good!

Another chillin evening. All that walking the first few days really wore on me.

Tuesday July 28

The sketchy tiles replaced with dope shred carpet.

Womens routines semi finals, open routine qualifications, shred 30.

My women’s semi routine was an old one I barely practiced. I got five drops or something for second seed in the final. Cool.

Top 5 of 7 went on to semi’s for open routines. I did a pretty decent 3 drop routine but it wasn’t quite good enough to make the cut. Nis had more difficulty that me. I didn’t come last in my pool though so that’s something.

Shred 30 felt pretty good. I started off strong and had some drops and repeated tricks but I knew that I destroyed my score from worlds 2013 (67 lol).

I’m pretty sure this was the day the my favourite circle of the week happened! I got to shred one on one with Mathias. He is soooo good. I remembered meeting him and not realising who he was. Then I saw him shred and was like damn. After a bit the two of us were pretty tired and Brian joined us. Such a good circle. Then Jim joined for a bit at the end. I am not even worthy haha. So fun to watch! Hell yeah.

Party at (outside) cafe funke. Ran into Johnny, Anton and their crew along the way. Blasting Dubstep on the street. So much fun chilling with the Britting brothers.

At some point I walked through the huge fancy cemetary with Derek and Nick.

Wednesday July 29

Women’s circle final. The event was at 6:45pm. Kind of a lame time to compete. I was pretty beat by this point in the day. I was definitely not expecting to win.

I kicked one on one with Paloma for a while prior to competing. She was busting hard. She would definitely beat me.

The final was Paloma, Hania, Verena and I. It was neat being seeded first because I got to choose my spot. I tried not to worry too much about what the others hit. The whole thing was a blur. The most memorable moment for me was hitting Ripstein in competition! It felt so good. I didn’t even care if I got last place. I was content with that.

It seemed pretty close. I honestly had no idea who won. I wasn’t even sure I managed to place second.

When they listed the results I was expecting to hear my name sooner than I did. I wasn’t fourth, phew. I wasn’t 3rd either, cool! Wait, not second? No way! I managed to scrape up a victory. Sweet. I’ve won women’s routines previously so I was much more stoked to take a women’s circle victory home than I would be another routine win. Pressure is off now :P

I actually went back and did some math to convince myself I deserved the gold. I averaged about 14 contacts per turn which I’m pretty happy with. Could be better though.

Video contest at Byens Lys!

Cycled to Christiania with some of the housemates for the video contest. Only got slightly lost. The graffiti around there is unreal. I wish I had more photos.

Smoked the most enormous spliff ever. Whoa. I could barely keep my balance after.

Weird watermelon bong

The video contest venue was dope as fuck!

The videos were really great. Especially the one with the one-sided guy kicking hacks in different rooms. Hah.

Seriously though, all the submissions were awesome! I really enjoyed watching them. Footbag attitude was really interesting and well done. Definitely watch it if you haven’t yet.

After the videos we got to hang out at the venue and party. It took me a bit to get into it but I ended up having a lot of fun. I’d been itching to dance since I arrived in Copenhagen and it finally happened at the video contest after party. The music was mostly bad reggae but it was still really fun. There was some hooping action too.

Thursday July 30

I tweaked my back doing yoga during my morning practice. I just kinda rolled awkwardly by accident and managed to pull something. My shoulders seized all up. It was really painful. Fuck.

Thursday was a really tough day for me as a result. I was looking forward to shredding a bunch and practising my routine because I didn’t have any events that day. So much for that. It bummed me out and I ended up spending much of the day sitting around and smoking cigs. Ew.

It was a beautiful day and we got to hang and shred outside. Watching the 2-square final between Brian and Wiktor was really enjoyable.

Thursday was a chill rest night. I definitely was not up for partying.

Friday July 31

Nazly left me a really nice note of encouragement with a chocolate bar and some fruit. She is such a sweetheart!

Johnny and Anton came by the pad during the day to chill and eat up all our food. Yayy. They always bring the good vibes.

The venue for the freestyle finals was dope!

I got really pumped up before my final routine. So much so that I tired myself out. I was not relaxed enough when I got onstage and messed up right away. Definitely not my best routine but it was still a good experience.

Paloma killed it with her dropless routine! She totally earned the win. I was really stoked for her.

I really enjoyed relaxing after and watching the men's finals. So much skill!

Outside the freestyle final venue

From the finals venue we migrated to the meatpacking district to party. There was a huge lot of probably 50+ footbaggers just chilling outside the first bar we went to. I was pretty out of it but still had fun chilling with people. I got to hang out with Milan for a while and he gave me a beer and complimented my variety. So cool.

Alex and Matt had gone to some Indie concert that evening. Alex is my bro and I wanted to party with him. No sooner did I say “Alex better show up soon!” did he roll up on a bicycle. Perfect.

After some time, those of us still down to party migrated to a dance club with really repetitive music. Again, half the group was just chilling outside. I spend the night cruising around, dancing and chilling outside smoking and whatnot.

As the sun was coming up Derek and I decided to finally head back. There were still a lot of people partying! I couldn’t find Johnny and Anton and was kinda bummed I didn’t get to say goodbye to them. They are always a riot.

Saturday August 1

Saturday was another beautiful day. So glad we got some good weather before the end of the event. Seeing Johnny and Anton at the event site totally made my day. I had a feeling this might happen. They totally partied so hard they missed their flight. Wooo.

Request contest was fun but the combos weren’t the best in my opinion. When you have a choice between two links they shouldn’t contain the same types of components. It should also be a gradual enough increase in difficulty that it is not necessary to go back and create new combos to determine 3rd place since like 7 people got out on the same round. I think I got the first four combos first try which wasn’t bad considering how fast the difficulty increased. The last one I hit was Dimwalk>Barfly. I was happy with that given that I don’t really do double downs much. Got out on Gyro Butter>Blur.

Brian partied so hard Friday night that he didn't sleep until he got to the event site Saturday afternoon. Luckily I was able to borrow his shred shorts because I left mine behind at the apartment.

I went out of my way to make it to the final awards ceremony on time. Apparently the final net match ended early and I missed my opportunity to stand at the top of the podium. Bummer. On the bright side I won women’s shred 30 with a score of 140, doubling my previous score (13th place overall) to take home two women’s golds along with my silver in routines. It’s nice to take home medals but they also feel kinda cheap. Some day I will take home an open medal. I know that will feel so much more real and satisfying.

Party at Rust Nightclub

Saturday evening was the big party!! I got vodka drunk at the apartment before we left for the club. This is one of the only times ever I’ve been more drunk than Alex, and it only lasted about an hour probably. On the bike ride to the club I was totally belligerent. Yelling Alanis Morisette lyrics and almost falling off my bike a couple times. Fun times.

At Rust there were a bunch of footbag people chilling outside as usual. The inside of the club was three levels but the music wasn’t that great as I recall. I was also just beat and not really into dancing at all. Spent most of the evening chilling upstairs with Derek, Nis and his wife and others. I was glad I got to party one more night with Johnny and Anton as well.

It must have been pretty late when we got kicked out of Rust. Spend some time chilling outside. I remember having a really enjoyable conversation with Wiktor but I honestly have no idea what we talked about.

Those of us still partying migrated to another bar. The seediest after hours bar I’ve been to. Definitely an interesting place. Vasek, Felix and some others were super into foosball.

Alex being his charming self

Cycled back to the apartment with Alex and Derek Sunday morning. Alex passed out immediately. Derek stayed up long enough to smoke a spliff with me. I was wired.

I tried to get some stuff organised for the next morning when we had to pack up and get out. I think I slept about two hours.

Sunday August 2

Packing up to leave was brutal. Derek refused to wake up and was still sleeping when the homeowners came back.

Moving all my stuff back to the hostel after partying so hard was rough. After hitting up a bizarre grocery store with Derek we chilled at the airbnb of Red, Nick, Jim etc. Finally had a yoga sesh with Nick! This is obviously a prerequisite for footbag events. I practiced alone all week so it was a nice change.

I ended up passing out for a couple hours while the others were out shredding or whatever. I wanted to have energy but just nope.

I went and hung out at the event site for a bit near the end of the day. The crew was finishing up tearing stuff down and whatnot. I felt bad for not being there to help. Hung out and chatted with Nis for a bit. Kicked with Jakub for maybe 15 minutes or so. Just enough to get sweaty. I didn’t have much juice though.

I got a BAP honourable mention. I’m not sure I really earned it but I’m totally flattered at the same time. It definitely makes me want to push harder so I guess if that was the sneaky plan then it will probably work. Jakub and Taishi kicked so much more ass than me. Like damn.

Monday August 3

Had a good talk with Alex Monday morning at the hostel over coffee. We always have great chats.

Went with Derek to return the rental bicycles. It was kind of annoying to be on foot again but I actually really enjoyed walking back to Jim’s place with Derek.

The last shred happened Monday evening at Hans Tavsens park with Verena, Mathias, Nis, Matt, Derek, Brian, Caroline, and Alex. I played a little but was just so very dead.

Went super mario bros. with Derek.

After the session I walked to Jim’s for the last hangouts with him, Casey, Caroline, Derek, Brian and Red. Spent most of the time on the couch with Derek being slightly antisocial. It was nice being around all these cool people even though I wasn’t really participating. They rolled up a super fat blunt that we all smoked on the balcony. It was intense. It was a good thing there was seven of us.

I only cried for like an hour this time :roll:

We chilled some more and said some goodbyes and soon it was just Derek and I chilling in the living room. It was definitely a tough goodbye. I didn’t want to go but I was very tired and had to walk back to the hostel still. I didn’t want to leave because I knew I would be all alone after that. It was really over.

The walk ended up being quite peaceful actually. I got a little sleep before leaving for the airport the next morning. It’s the first time I’ve really been happy to get home after a footbag event. It was just such an exhausting trip.

Miscellaneous fragments.

Alex getting drunk pretty much every night and expressing his gratitude for our friendship <3

The energy Johnny Breakdown and Anton bring to the table is just unreal.

Falling for a European boy. I knew this would happen :| It’s alright because would be doomed even if we were on the same continent..

Getting called out for wearing a sports bra for the circle final was kinda weird. It didn’t even occur to me that it was an issue. I wasn’t wearing a shirt cause it got sweaty in that humid gym and it was uncomfortable. I should not have to justify it though. Dudes are shirtless all the damn time. I feel so awkward about even changing in public. Guys get to do it without even thinking.

I wasn’t offended by the music. It’s a silly song. Not really appropriate but it was just unfortunate timing. It was kinda more annoying when there was talking through one of my runs in the qualification round.

Way too many spliffs. Too much tobaccy, not enough wacky.

Routines: I know I didn’t do my best in routines. I simply didn’t put in the time or effort to practice enough. I have had other things take priority leading up to worlds. I was kicking regularly but rarely solo shredding.

Alex talking shit to Tuukka after partying one night. This was hilarious. I don’t even know how he got on the topic of beastiality.

I didn’t get enough hugs. I sucked at getting goodbyes from people.

Ted and Nazly made us some pretty killer meals at the apartment during the week. Really grateful that we had some adultier adults to take care of us :P

The Danish crew is so awesome! They did such a kick ass job!!

Phil Morrison is way sexy.

Aleksi is such a boss! He had a super positive attitude all week despite his injury and was so helpful with judging all the things.

Derek. You were my rock at this event. Thanks for being there and staying positive even though I know you were in a lot of pain. It would have been really tough without you. I am so very grateful for what we have.

There were so many cool people at this event that I didn't give shout outs to. Sorry if I didn't mention you or failed to make an effort to hang with you. You all rock.

This was definitely a learning experience for me. I let other things distract me prior to worlds and as a result was not as prepared as I could have been. A lot of things like getting a bicycle were just way more of a hassle than they needed to be. It drained a lot of energy.

I didn’t connect with as many people as I would have liked. The travelling and trying to figure out how to get around and just being overwhelmed all the time took a lot out of me. As a result I didn’t put as much energy as I would have liked into meeting new people. Part of the reason that I’ve taken so long to finish this write up is because it makes me sad that I missed out on a lot of opportunities.

I saw how stoked Derek was to meet everyone and be there despite being injured. It reminded me so much of my own experience at worlds 2013 in Montreal. I shredded and partied non-stop! This worlds was a lot different for me. I didn’t kick nearly as much; I didn’t party as much. I felt tired most of the time. I’ve come to terms with it now. I am a better freestyler and a stronger person coming out of this event. There are things I definitely would have done differently but there’s no point in beating myself up about it. I just have to accept it as a learning experience and move on.

Since worlds I’ve been doing a lot of yoga to try and fix my back. I think I’m pretty much back to where it was before I re-injured it. I’ve kicked four or five times. I’m actually really stoked to start solo shredding more regularly and continue improving my game. Tournaments always bring to light weaknesses.

I’ve started working on my Quantum set and it’s actually starting to click! I’m stoked to have a new concept to work on.

Toe Blur bs

I shredded with Erik, Adam, and Mike two weekends ago. That was a really fun session! It’s been ages since I’ve kicked with Erik and Adam.

<3

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 14 Sep 2015 17:44

I had a really fun impromptu session with Adam today near Union Station!

It was a beautiful day. I was actually in the process of gearing up for my first solo session in over a week when he posted looking for someone to play with!

I’m starting a new job next week and it’s going to keep me busy for a while. I figured I ought to take this opportunity to play with him while the weather is warm and I still have the time. Definitely not regretting that decision.

I managed to develop acute bronchitis at worlds. I thought it was just a cold and let it go three weeks before I saw a doctor. I’ve just finally been starting to feel 100% these past few days. It felt really good to shred with full energy for the first time in over a month. Definitely a solid first session back.

Adam and I got kicked out of our first spot and decided to shred it up on this bridge that ended up being a decent location for busking. We made a whopping $14. It’s something!

We both had tons of really good long runs! Having people watch and occasionally give us change was super motivating and gave us a reason to push harder.

Adam is such a cool guy. It was a really fun shred overall. Apparently he is going to be working one town over from me for a while soon! Hopefully our respective schedules allow us to get together for more kicky bag before the cold weather is here.

Some dudes at Union station were saying "I love you" to random people. I could tell by their response when I said "I love you too man" to one of them (and also the fact that the person in front of me totally ignored them) that not that many people were feelin' the love. It actually somewhat restored my faith that awesome people exist after experiencing some discrimination from maintenance staff immediately prior. As if I can't figure out which washroom is appriopriate for me :roll:

Anywho life is good. I am going to start kicking more regularly now. Still doing lots of yoga. The back is relatively pain free. Looking forward to working and making some cash and meeting some new people even if I have not yet found my dream job.

It was a little bit sad to miss seeing my footbag family at ECFC this weekend. I'm still pretty tired of travelling though so I don't feel that bad. I also got to spend some time with my yoga family and make this awesome mala! I chose stones representing health, prosperity, success, and love because those are the things I am working on manifesting in my life. It was a fun activity. I don't usually prioritise crafty things like this so I'm glad I did it.

I miss my footbag friends. Peace and love to you all.

<3

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 18 Sep 2015 10:56

I lost the couch in my room and now there is plenty of space to kick. Getting ready to settle into winter training mode.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yQUXHur ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 29 Sep 2015 21:50

Today marked day 9 of a “40 days to personal revolution” program I’m doing at my yoga studio. It’s basically 6 days a week hot yoga practice, meditation, and self observation. I decided to do it because I want to establish a meditation practice but also to get more involved with the community. The meetings have been really fun so far. I decided to incorporate footbag because I want to re-establish a training routine. Here is my week one:

Hoping to increase the amount of shred. I commit to posting progress for subsequent weeks.

Writing stuff down is good motivation. We also get stickers. Stickers are fun.

Last week I started full time training for a call centre job answering OnStar navigation calls. The training is really slow but I’m looking forward to doing the actual job. I’m confident I will enjoy it.

Pushing myself to do a lot right now but I’m already starting to get used to it. Feels good to be busy again.

There's nothing like footbag flow.

<3

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 12 Oct 2015 07:29

Yesterday was perhaps the last outdoor FAT shred of the year! Dante was in town! Alex just got back from Europe last week! Mike came out from Hamilton! Ethan also came out to kick a little and near the end we had a surprise appearance by Adam!

The weather was absolutely gorgeous for the time of year. We played at the base of the CN tower which is a pretty neat touristy location.

It was nice to catch up with everyone. The shred was pretty casual but people seemed to be playing decently well. I didn’t stick around super late because I had to get home for thanksgiving dinner.

I'm already over half way through this 40 days business. It’s been an interesting exercise. I had to chill out on practising at the studio every day because it was too much for back. I tend to push my limits a bit too far. I have been really enjoying solo practice lately though. It feels really good to give my body what it needs.

Still not kicking quite as much as I would like. I guess 3 times a week is better than nothing.

Hoping to get some good news tomorrow.

<3

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 07 Nov 2015 15:20

I finished 40 days. It was not perfect but I learned a lot and it was a good experience overall. I completed a three day fruit cleanse where I eliminated everything except fruit from my diet (even coffee!). I was so cold! It was a good exercise in willpower. I don't think I'll be doing that again, but it felt great to succeed.

Footbag training ended up taking a back seat but I’m okay with that at this point. I feel good about where my game is at right now, even if I’m only kicking once a week or whatever.

We had another outdoor FAT session since my last post! I kicked with Alex, JJ, and Johnny at Kensington Market. The weather has been unseasonably warm so far this fall. It was a great day. Grabbed some killer fish tacos with Johnny after shreds.

I landed a job as an MSDS author in London Ontario. I found a beautiful and affordable 2 bedroom apartment which I moved into this week. The move went very smoothly. I’ve been a little under the weather, but I am absolutely loving my new freedom! The pieces are falling together nicely.

Zach Forth lives five minutes away! We had our first London session yesterday. The weather cooperated and it was super fun!

London is really cool. You should come visit me! I have so much space!!! London jam ‘16?!

I start my career on Monday :D

Getting stoked for NYJ

<3