Cass shreds - USO 2023

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: Feminine Freestyle ---

Post by C-Fan » 20 Mar 2015 10:25

Working to be healed in time for your arrival. Either way, looking forward to hanging out!

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 20 Mar 2015 10:56

Yayyyyyyyy!

Life has been so busy lately!

Yesterday I kicked for 10 minutes after my morning yoga class. It was my first shred after a 10 day break. That might have been my longest break in two years. The time off was definitely needed but I've also missed footbag and it felt good to kick.

Busy getting ready for Denver! Leaving early Sunday to spend 4 nights alone in a big city that I've never been to. The conference is going to be massively overwhelming. How exciting.

Tomorrow I think I'm kicking with TJ who is visiting Toronto from Japan. Hopefully that works out!

Three more weeks of insanity before the real fun begins!

<3

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 20 Mar 2015 14:05

Actually, I am visiting Toronto from New Zealand! :p
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 22 Mar 2015 01:31

Shred with TJ yesterday was so fun!!

Erik came to watch and it was nice to have his presence. He also filmed a bit on my camera so hopefully I'll get to edit that eventually.

We played one-on-one a bunch before JJ arrived. It's always fun to play with someone new because you don't know what to expect! TJ has really nice drifter, grifter, and torque game. I'm so jealous!

JJ had some really nice runs! He's always fun to play with.

It's cool to get a perspective on the sport from someone new as well. TJ had some really good suggestions.

He challenged me to Dyno>Swirl rpt. and I got it second try to start a run. That felt fun.

It felt soo good to finally have a real session. I needed to get that out of my system :P

Afterwards we just chilled out at Bahen and talked and stuff. That was cool.

Off to Denver today wooo! :D

<3

Allan

Post by Allan » 22 Mar 2015 09:16

GRAMMAR POLICE!! you are envious of TJ's game, not jealous :D

Dyno > Swirl rpt is awesome. Props. I tried 3 times to hit blender > twist rpt yesterday, but kept having the last blender fly away on me.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 22 Mar 2015 11:02

Thanks Allan. I will remember that now :D

In Denver weoo

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 22 Mar 2015 16:56

Thanks Allan. I will remember that now :D

In Denver weoo

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 29 Mar 2015 11:07

Well Denver was a crazy trip. Work travel is way less fun than footbag travel. My hotel ended up being a 30 minute walk from the convention centre and the transit isn’t the best so I ended up doing a whole lot of walking which was pretty exhausting.

Denver is pretty cool. Overall I like it. The architecture is nice but it is lacking in street art. There are a lot of commissioned murals and stuff that are mostly kinda lame lol.

What is even up with this?

The people are pretty nice there. It actually has really similar vibes to Toronto I would say. That's definitely a good thing. People make eye contact with you. I find this charming but also uncomfortable.

The street lights for pedestrians are whack. Like, really poorly timed. As a result pedestrians never wait for the walk signal and pretty much just walk out in front of traffic as they please. The cars seem to be used to this. It’s kind of bizarre.

There are lots of interesting non-chain businesses and coffee shops around.

The first thing I did when I got to Denver was walk to the nearest dispensary and so I could have a legal chat with the coach. This was a really freaking surreal and awesome experience. The people who worked there were mad chill. It’s just a little disappointing that I had to leave Canada in order for this to happen. Still cool though.

They have funny PSAs around:

The weather was absolutely amazing! Sunny almost the whole time and warm too. Much warmer than home.

Ken and Haley picked me up shortly after I arrived at my hotel on Sunday and we went to a nearby park for shred. It was nice to finally have a real session with Ken. We’ve met a couple times before but never spent more than a few minutes together in a circle.

The three of us hung out all afternoon. They took me to a nice greek place to eat and we also went to a cat cafe (turns out I would be more allergic to my hotel room than the cats) and toured around to some other places.

The rest of my trip was kinda weird. I’m generally pretty independent and don’t have a problem doing things on my own, but this conference was pretty intense and exhausting. My talk was Monday afternoon and I actually broke down and bawled my face off in the bathroom about an hour before. It went pretty well all things considered. I was glad to get that out of the way.

The conference itself was massive and overwhelming. I had trouble meeting people because everyone either seemed to already be involved in conversation about things I didn’t know anything about or were engulfed in technology. There was so much to do while I was there and I did so much walking that the thought of meeting people [and having only chemistry to relate to them about] was just too draining. I was definitely a small fish in an ocean at this conference and it was a pretty big ego check. It affirmed the fact that I do not want to stay in academia. I can’t even relate to these people.

I went to a yin yoga class at a studio near my hotel on Monday evening. The coolest people I met [for the first time] throughout the trip I met at yoga! Yogis are so welcoming and nice! I would go on a chemistry trip and end up bonding with people through footbag and yoga the most. Figures..

Anyways, the yoga was super relaxing and exactly what I needed. I had only been in Denver a day and I was already ready to go home. I’ve been spreading myself thin lately and this trip pushed me right to the edge.

Luckily things got a little easier once I was more used to the area and my talk was finished. The job fair was kind of a bust but there were some really cool booths and stuff. I saw some really good talks and several really terrible ones also.

Tuesday evening I met up with Ken at Union station for another session! We played in a more public place which was nice. He filmed but I didn’t hit anything super noteworthy. Ken seemed to be getting back in the groove and it was a really enjoyable session. My skin felt the effects of sunlight for the first time all winter!

Not too much of note happened on this trip. I rented a bike on Wednesday and cruised around a bunch. My legs are not accustomed to that! It was a nice alternative to walking though for sure.

Wednesday evening was the orgo poster session and mixer. It was okay. There was a pretty terrible cover band and free beer. I don’t normally drink beer but it was free.. I met some fun people and got a little sloppy. Nothing too exciting.

This Monte Carlo though..

Thursday I cruised around downtown a bit more before heading to the airport where my flight would be delayed by 2 hours. Finally made it home by 2am and have been recovering since. I have slept SO MUCH in the past couple days. And of course getting back on the yoga train.

Yesterday I met up with TJ in Toronto for another footbag session! I’m really glad we got to connect again. I really enjoy shredding with him. He is good at footbag and also hugging. I’m a little disappointed that FAT didn’t represent very well for his visit but I also didn’t mind hogging him all to myself :P

I haven't had a proper solo session in ages and it's starting to show. I need more drills in my life!

Back to the grind.

<3

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 29 Mar 2015 17:18

That top picture is one of my favorites! Awesome write up as always - looking forward to kicking in two weeks.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 30 Mar 2015 05:01

Cass wrote: I’m generally pretty independent and don’t have a problem doing things on my own, but this conference was pretty intense and exhausting. My talk was Monday afternoon and I actually broke down and bawled my face off in the bathroom about an hour before. It went pretty well all things considered. I was glad to get that out of the way.
I know that feeling; they can be pretty overwhelming. congrats on getting it done! It's such a nice feeling to finish something like that.
Cass wrote: I was definitely a small fish in an ocean at this conference and it was a pretty big ego check. It affirmed the fact that I do not want to stay in academia. I can’t even relate to these people.
If I were you, I wouldn't make a decision like that based off of one conference (perhaps there are more you are basing it off of though?). The conference I went to out in Canada blew my mind as well, but I enjoyed it because it showed me not only how far I have come, but how far I have to go...
Cass wrote: Yesterday I met up with TJ in Toronto for another footbag session! I’m really glad we got to connect again. I really enjoy shredding with him. He is good at footbag and also hugging. I’m a little disappointed that FAT didn’t represent very well for his visit but I also didn’t mind hogging him all to myself :P
Really glad we could connect again, too. My legs were sore the next day, and playing solo that doesn't really happen. I was so chill after we finished, the person I met up with after also noted that I seemed really relaxed. Thank you for that! Can't wait to see you again and shred/hug/chill/etc...
TJ Boutorwick

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 30 Mar 2015 05:58

Leaving academia is a decision I had already made after a great deal of consideration. This conference served to reinforce what I already knew.

Feeling pretty melancholy today.

Mikie posted this on facebook today and it really resonated with me:

http://yourfriendshouse.com/uncategoris ... r-purpose/

I am so looking forward to getting out of here.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 30 Mar 2015 12:36

I'm glad we were able to get in a couple shreds and hang out some while you were in town. It was neat seeing Denver through your eyes in your blog. It's easy to take your surroundings for granted when you live somewhere.

Hopefully see you at USO in less than 3 months!

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 30 Mar 2015 23:17

I really liked that Denver post as well. I can't wait to see your posts from Copenhagen :)

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 01 Apr 2015 04:53

Thanks to Ivan, TJ, and Asmus for the nice comments! Also thanks Ken for putting that video together :)

Copenhagen is gonna be a heavy writeup. Keeping up with my blog this summer is going to be a challenge. I’ll be unemployed though so it should be pretty doable :P

I bought tickets to California yesterday! Going to be there from May 7-19. Super stoked. I will finally meet Lon and hopefully also Dave. I’m glad I have a cool trip to look forward to pretty much immediately after I finish school. After that I think I will hit up Movement festival in Detroit. In mid June Ohm festival takes place in Ontario followed by USO in Portland! In mid July there is a flow festival in Toronto and then of course Worlds at the end of July!! This summer is stacked!

My car has been acting up and I’m not able to get it checked out until Monday. I’m a little worried since I’m supposed to drive it to State College next week for PSU jam. Hopefully it’s something minor.

I had my first proper solo session in weeks yesterday! I played for a solid hour and it felt soooo good! Did lots of drilling stuff. Hit ducking guay both sides and lots of clean ripsteins.

I'm reading a book for the book club that my yoga studio holds called The Art of Learning. It's a pretty interesting read so far and also very applicable to footbag. In particular, one of the concepts that I'm working on applying is using the energy from your surroundings in a constructive way. You can't always choose the music, venue etc. and I'm realizing that there is no point in letting things outside of your control affect you negatively. If you want to be the best you have to use this stuff to your advantage. I have spoke with Evan about how he uses the pressure of competition constructively and that is how he is able to perform well so consistently. The key is to let the nerves and the outside energy/distractions fuel the fire.

So I guess that's something I'm going to keep working on. Yesterday there was a fitness class with obnoxious music playing. Instead of trying to drown it out with my own music I just rolled with it.

Here's some more weird Denver art just because:

My exit seminar is tomorrow! Then end is in sight. Guess I should practice or something.

<3

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 01 Apr 2015 07:31

Good luck!
TJ Boutorwick

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 07 Apr 2015 06:28

“It’s what we think we know that keeps us from learning”

It’s crazy how the more you learn the more you realise how little you know. I’m feeling humbled.

When I started doing yoga I thought I was pretty good at it. The more I practice the more I realise how far I have to go. Instead of getting easier it gets more challenging because I am putting more of myself into it with each class.

The Art of Learning has been a great source of inspiration for me. I’m so glad I picked that book up. It applies to so many things. It’s exactly what I needed to help push me to the next level in footbag, yoga, and in life.

I’m going to try to apply some high intensity interval training to my solo footbag sessions. I tend to take a break between long runs or just whenever I feel tired. As a result I’m not pushing myself in the same way that I push when I do yoga. To really level up I need to push myself harder for longer and then take intentional breaks for a set amount of time. The ability to relax when you have the opportunity is key to recovering and coming back strong.

I’m also working on my mental game more. The ability to get in the zone regardless of the outside environment is the key to performing at a high level. I have yet to figure out exactly how to make this possible but I have a general idea of what I need to do.

My car will be repaired tomorrow afternoon. It’s going to put me out $500 but at least I will be set for PSU jam! It’s been quite an event break since NYJ so I’m definitely looking forward to this. I’m feeling a little uneasy about seeing Nick. I really hate to be on bad terms with anyone in my life and I don’t want it to put a damper on the event. We’ve had some time to cool off so I’m hoping for the opportunity to work things out. I think that it would really help to communicate face to face. I know I haven’t handled certain situations in the most mature way and I’ve learned from it but knowing that somebody in my life has such negative feelings towards me definitely hurts a little. It would be nice to resolve that. There are no hard feelings on this end.

This event is going to be so rad. Really looking forward to seeing Nick Landes again and doing some more yoga with him! The best.

I’ve played twice in the past week I think. Saturday was a longer session and it felt great to push myself a little. My run length is improving. I hit 69 bops>hand catch and several other easier 40+ contact runs. I’m hoping to play today. It will probably be my last opportunity for a solo shred before jamps.

My masters defense is this friday afternoon and I’m feeling pretty anxious about it. I know that there is only so much I can do at this point so I’m just going to do my best. I think it will be really important to go into it feeling relaxed and confident. I’m hoping to get some yoga in beforehand in order to achieve the right mental state. It’s going to feel SO GOOD to be finished that.

I have a session planned with Dave and others at Steve's place my first Saturday in California! The following weekend I'm going to Lon's place with Derek and hopefully Brian for shreds and hangouts! So damn pumped to finally meet two of my footbag idols.

This blog has been all over the place. Kinda like my life. Busy busy.

<3

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 07 Apr 2015 14:37

This jumped out at me as I was reading:
Cass wrote:I hit 69
...and I got super excited for you thinking "SHE HIT HER DREAM TRICK!!!"

Then I finished reading the rest of the sentence, and felt incredibly let down:
Cass wrote:I hit 69 bops>hand catch
Oh reading, why do I suck at you so bad. :oops: :lol:

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 07 Apr 2015 15:08

Damn. I would have been more emphatic about hitting 69.

Anyways. I tried the HIIT footbag training this evening and it went really well! I started a 4 minute run followed by four 3 minute shreds with 1 minute breaks. Initially I had wanted to do tiltless/bops the entire time but that turned out to be unrealistic. I ended up having to do a lot of basic stalls just to keep going with good form. It’s an interesting challenge to force yourself to pick the bag up and start a new run immediately after 30+ contacts. It definitely forced me to push myself more. By the end of each interval I was exhausted but then I felt renewed after that 1 minute break and found that I would come back strong with some really nice, long runs.

The efficiency of my solo sessions just skyrocketed. I was sweatier after that 20 minutes than I usually am by the end of an hour plus session.

I spent some time drilling a few key concepts after that. The session was about an hour in total.

That was nice.

Three more days!

<3

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 08 Apr 2015 17:23

I haven't commented in a while, but I thought your Denver writeup was really awesome and I loved the photos. Here's to information coming after the fact, but if you are into bookstores and ever in Denver again I'd recommend checking out "Tattered Cover". I've only been there once, but it was really cool (though having spent 3 summers in Portland I have a fondness for Powells that cannot be replaced). I'd be curious to know whether Ken, as a local, also likes Tattered Cover.
Cass wrote:My masters defense is this friday afternoon and I’m feeling pretty anxious about it. I know that there is only so much I can do at this point so I’m just going to do my best. I think it will be really important to go into it feeling relaxed and confident.
Your anxiousness really brings up unpleasant memories of my own anxiousness prior to defending. I think your approach is dead on though....by this point you know what you know for the most part, and you are better off to be as relaxed as possible and well rested ahead of Friday.

The day before I defended I had decided that I'd take the evening off for the same reasons noted above. I went to a local dive bar for dinner with Kristin (my then fiancee) and a couple of other friends. Low and behold, while we were there I bumped into one of the professors from my committee that would 'hold my future in his hands' the very next day. I remember being freaked out and worried that him seeing me out at a bar the night before my defense would give him the impression that I wasn't taking it seriously and that it would reflect poorly on me the next day and cause him to really rake me over the coals. That shit was all in my head....things went fine, and I bet they will for you too.

That was long winded, but the point is that I'll be thinking of you Friday and wishing you luck.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 09 Apr 2015 08:22

Thanks Bob! I don’t think I will be taking this evening off however I will definitely be making sure to sleep well and go in feeling relaxed! I know that I will pass so I’m not too worried but it’s definitely still nerve wracking.

Kicked for a bit this morning between my second last chiro appointment and my last school yoga class for the semester. I sure have come a long way since I started those things. My back is heaps better now. I still have a ways to go before it’s at 100% but I’m certainly much better off than I was six months ago.

I had another 50+ contact bop run today, focused a lot on all different links into and out of ss butterfly. So close to double bsosing ripstein. Soon

At the end of my shred I got into shuffle mode. I had my longest shuffle run ever at 15 contacts! Unfortunately I started filming after that run so here are a few more okay shorter shuffles. Hoping to incorporate more Atomic and Neo stuff into my shuffle soon.
Looks like it might just be Alex and I going to PSU tomorrow. That's okay. He's a magnificent travel companion.

<3