Kat's Footblog (PSU)

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
isirc10
Fearless

Re: Kat's Footblog (PSU)

Post by isirc10 » 10 Mar 2014 12:19

Well, it's supposed to be 60 tomorrow so we are kicking outside. Spring? Maybe... I kinda want to go hiking this week.

I should probably stop leaving stuff in your blog and actually let you post about it, but since I have the video on my channel, might as well post it here. You can do the explaining:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n895bJEoa9w[/youtube]

*EDIT* Second page, aw yeah! :P
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

katcryan
Circle Kicker

Post by katcryan » 09 Apr 2014 19:25

Ivan- It's been about a month since you posted me doing pdx drifter and I'm just responding now... sorry! But thanks :) That was still the only time I hit pdx drifter though :(

I would like to say how AWESOME Jamps was!!! I had a blast and it was great meeting everyone - the footbag community is so friendly and open. I love it. I had gotten a pretty shitty night of sleep Friday night so when I woke up Saturday I was not expecting any miracles. I arrived at the Rec gym at noon and I could not believe how many people there were! All playing footbag! Wow. So I started warming up and kicked with some PSU people and some new people in every circle. At that point, I wasn't very nervous to compete, surprisingly. Soon enough, Ivan announced that intermediates circles were starting and as I watched the first competition circle I started freaking out. I told Ryan how nervous I was and he told me to imagine all of my pets and horses, so that gave me a laugh and calmed me down a bit (thanks Ryan!)
I was in the second circle with Khoa and Nathan. As soon as Khoa started his first string, which looked really good, I just told myself to accept that this was my first competition and I was doing it purely for the experience - so that put some pressure off. When Khoa passed me the bag, I just started kicking and doing what I was comfortable with - mirages, butterflies/infinities, clippers, pdx mirages, and so on. Honestly though, I don't remember exactly what I did. My memory is foggy because of the nerves I guess. My string lasted for MUCH longer than I expected, so after I dropped I felt pretty good. Everyone cheered which gave me a nice confidence boost and at that moment I was already happy with how I did for my first competition. I don't think my next three turns were as good as my first string (memory problems lol) but overall I was beyond happy with my performance. Afterwards, it was like a huge weight was lifted off of my shoulders and I could just relax. Then Ivan announced the people moving onto the next round - me and Nathan - and I was overjoyed and surprised. I felt horrible for Khoa because he is obviously much better than me though, I kick with him all the time and he is much more consistent than I am. He got really unlucky and I got lucky. He deserved it a lot more than I did, that's for sure.
Geez this is turning into a longer post than I planned... I will have to sum things up faster.
So, the second round is honestly a complete blur to me, I literally have no memory of what I did or did not do in that round. I think I may have tried drifter with no avail, but I got a passback. It was a circle of Aidan, Chrissy, Ben, and myself. I was honestly just so happy to be there, most of my nerves were gone at that point from low expectations. Then I somehow make it into the FINAL CIRCLE!! I had NO idea how it happened but I was in disbelief. Everyone was doing so well and I just didn't feel like I deserved it totally. Then it was time for the final four: me, Ben, Marc, and Nathan. Ben was owning it and I was super excited for him. Marc got a bit unlucky with a few of his turns, and Nathan just keeps surprising me with how amazing he is after such a short time of playing. I feel like I performed pretty much congruently with my other rounds in the final circle, pretty consistent with the same kinds of tricks.
It was then time to announce the winners: Ben was in 1st (YAYAY Benjamin!!) and I got second!!!!! I could not believe my ears!! I got an awesome plaque that Ivan made and a super cool bag that April made (thanks guys!) I will have to post a picture of them later.
The rest of the day consisted of more footbag (watching the open circles was CRAZYYY) and eating yummy food. Later that night was the party at Ben's which was super fun. Overall it was just an awesome day and I am so thankful to be part of such an awesome community.
Sunday, I kicked for a little with everyone in front of Old Main but couldn't stay for long because I had a math exam review. Also, I had just eaten a quite large breakfast and my stomach wasn't feeling it, so I passed the bag more than I kicked. We had a girls circle going for a little which was really cool, but regretfully I didn't get to spend as much time with Cassy and Chrissy as I would have liked. Actually, there was a lot of people I didn't get to talk to much - and for that I apologize. I talked to Jim Penske quite a bit and he is such a cool guy, besides from his obviously incredible footbag skills. There was a bunch of other people I enjoyed talking to, but I would love to get to know all of you more, especially those I didn't talk to much.
Sorry this is such a long post. All in all, it was an amazing weekend and I wouldn't trade it for anything. So thanks everyone for being awesome! Also, a HUGE thanks to Ivan who made it all possible - this Jamps weekend would have been nothing if it wasn't for him!!!!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 09 Apr 2014 19:54

I dont think I ever got a chance to tell you but congrats on making second place at your first jam ever :) You killed it. I hated judging your first circle since you were all my friends, but in the end, I think all of us judges agreed that you and Nathan deserved to move on to the next round. You really surprised me in circle. Especially that first string. Wow.

Here's to you getting better and better. Keep pushing, you're going to do some amazing things in this sport, mark my words.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

katcryan
Circle Kicker

Post by katcryan » 10 Apr 2014 10:43

Thanks Nick :) Also, great job getting to the final circle in Open :D

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 10 Apr 2014 16:13

It's soo tough to hang out with everyone at a big event like that!

I'm glad we finally got to meet! you remind me of myself back in 07. I love how we both got second in intermediate at our first competition :D

Hopefully we can play more next time! I think you're going to have really nice style. You have great consistency which is awesome to see. I like that you're not worried about hitting big tricks all the time. In my opinion long smooth runs are way better and that's why you did so well in competition.

Let's hang out soon!

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 11 Apr 2014 07:24

katcryan wrote: Geez this is turning into a longer post than I planned... I will have to sum things up faster.
The longer the better! Also, just have like a TL;DR at the end if anything. I like long write-ups! More description!

Also, congrats (again), Kat! You definitely deserved it and I'm excited to see you develop even more! :)
April Tou
kicker, stitcher, footbag enthusiast, baker of PSUFC

"Drill until it's ingrained." -old Indian proverb according to a book I read

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 12 Apr 2014 07:17

hey props on doing so well at the jam and for hitting my favorite trick, pdx drifter. it looks good! wish i was still around to kick with you guys.

katcryan
Circle Kicker

Post by katcryan » 12 Apr 2014 11:37

Thanks April! And thanks Nathan! It's nice to hear from you, hope you are enjoying the mountains of Cali. We miss kicking with you too!

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 12 Apr 2014 16:17

I see all these PSU blogs and it makes me jealous that I wasn't at Jamps. Hope to meet you guys next year. Latelatelate, but congrats on Pdx Drifter and your success at Jamps. looked nice. I'm struggling with regular drifter, so nice job hitting pdx. Hope to see more good stuff from you and the PSU crew. Geez, I love this community.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

katcryan
Circle Kicker

Post by katcryan » 19 Apr 2014 15:44

Thanks David, it would be great to meet you hopefully next year!
This is a bit late, but here is what I got for getting second at Jamps:

Thank you April for the beautiful bag and Ivan for the amazing trophy!
Today, there was a session at Old Main in the nice and warm weather. I showed up late, but when I got there, only Ivan was kicking. After a few minutes of warming up, April, Ben, and Khoa arrived. Ever since yesterday after a session at the HUB, my left knee has been bothering me and it actually hurts quite a bit whenever I walk. I was a bit concerned that kicking would hurt it more, but it actually feels better to kick than it does to walk. Maybe I should just kick instead of walk.

Anyway, the session was a lot of fun and I finally hit drifter bsos!!! It was funny how it happened, because I kept trying to hit drifter and just kept dropping and Ivan was helping me with my technique but nothing was working. He then told me that for my next turn, I should just stop thinking about it and hit drifter. Turns out, my next turn I did what he said and hit it bsos. I was soooo excited because I have been trying to hit it bsos for over a month now. So yay!
Also, I had a session with Ivan earlier this week and I hit osis>osis x 7 (or maybe it was 6, not totally sure) so I was really happy about that. I just happened to be doing osis pretty well that day though - today I could barely hit one. So it's definitely not consistent yet.

On a side note, my horse Sunset has been doing really well and I have been riding her outside a lot since the weather is warming up. My friend Brittany (the girl that brings me to the barn and we ride together since she has a horse too) have been talking about having a race at the end of the semester, Me and Sunset vs. her and Smokey (her horse.) We did a mock race yesterday and it was SO FUN. I was going so fast at a full gallop that the wind made my eyes water. Also, I recently found out that I will be bringing Sunset home with me this summer, so I could not be more excited! I plan on working with her a lot and hopefully doing a show here or there.

Peace!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 19 Apr 2014 21:34

Awesome job on Osis x7 and seriously big props on Drifter BSOS. Both big milestones. I actually didn't hit Drifter BSOS until about 3 years of shred. Sucks about the knee problem. Wearing a knee brace for a week takes my knee problems away when I tweak it. You should analyze your game and figure out what motion is bugging it. Whenever you feel pain in footbag, stop, drop, and analyze your form. Footbag shouldn't hurt, and if it does, you're doing something incorrectly. Look at how you clipper and make sure your knee bends how it's supposed to bend. Most of the time it's just your clipper that will cause you some knee pain in the beginning.

Good luck with the race! Just don't get hurt. Footbag doesn't work well when you're hurt :P
Nick Polini

Funblog

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 19 Apr 2014 21:35

You have been killin it lately, glad you posted about it. I expect to see a video of this race. Also, about the knee, just be careful how you land on your newer tricks like drifter and pdx illusion. I also had some issues with my knee when we transitioned to concrete as it has less give then the hardwood courts, and I was trying tricks I hadn't ironed out yet. Try to remove whatever motion hurts you from your execution and you should stay injury free. Props on going for BOPs today, I think that will be a good goal for the next few months as your game catches up to the new tricks you are hitting.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 02 May 2014 07:00

I am Kat's footblog. I am lonely. Kat has neglected me, I don't know if I quite trust her anymore. There's so much to be said..
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

katcryan
Circle Kicker

Post by katcryan » 27 Jul 2014 20:34

Wow I can't believe how quickly the time has gone since I last posted.

Ben is right, I have neglected my footblog... however, I don't have much to say. Unfortunately, I haven't improved in footbag this summer so far (I probably got worse) because I haven't been kicking much at all. At the start of summer, I tried kicking everyday. The sessions were always short because I would get frustrated or very tired very quickly, probably because I wasn't used to kicking alone. Then, I suddenly became swamped with work and horses and more horses and more work until I rarely had time to kick. I will admit that I gave this summer away to horses - but I'm okay with it, because horses are my biggest passion and my area has endless horse showing opportunities etc. Also, my boyfriend who moved to Indiana after high school has an internship in Philly so I can pretty much see him whenever. That is a HUGE refresher coming back from a year apart at different schools.

So yes, footbag has not been my top priority this summer. I fully intend to dive right back in as soon as I can though!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 27 Jul 2014 20:55

Like I said, hit me up! I'm about a 25-30 minute drive from Radnor. We can meet half way or something.
Nick Polini

Funblog