AnzBlog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: AnzBlog

Post by C-Fan » 16 Feb 2015 12:52

Excited to see the old footage. Also excited to see you blogging again.

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 23 Feb 2015 03:59

No more random gifs in my blog please.

4/7
Summer 2010
Ten Drills

I had a plan to film ten massive repeat combos (drills) during the summer. I couldn't hit all the great drills that I was planning on, so in the end I had to include some reserve combos I had filmed just in case. I don't have my notes left from this, so I don't remember what were the combos I couldn't hit back then, but there was a few.
I recorded my own guitar playing for this video, which I regret now. Should have played something better and used better equipment for recording.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 23 Feb 2015 06:58

Anz wrote:No more random gifs in my blog please.
Gotcha. All future gifs I post in your blog will be non-random. 8)

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 02 Mar 2015 09:03

5/7
August 17th and 18th 2010
August Session

Footage from two sessions with Matt Bailey, who was visiting Finland. I made a video for that years Joulukalenteri from some of this footage as well.
The footage is dim, and at some points you can't see the bag at all, which is regrettable. But the shred has a good contrast to the other videos.

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 09 Mar 2015 07:22

6/7
Summer 2010
Links and Tricks

I filmed some single tricks and links throughout the summer.
Again not-so-great music that I recorded myself.

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 09 Mar 2015 19:01

Hey Anssi, very cool videos. I like how you use original music in them. Is there a reason you choose to play in the grass/on dirt sometimes?

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 16 Mar 2015 08:24

The clips filmed playing on grass were simply to have different backgrounds.

7/7
Second half of 2010
Leftovers

These are leftovers mostly from the summer sessions when I was filming drills, links and single tricks. Also some runs from that years Finnish Open. And that last combo was filmed for the Joulukalenteri.
This is the last video of the DVD.

Ohios1
Multidex Master

Post by Ohios1 » 16 Mar 2015 15:27

Loving these vids man. I can see the years of hard work in all your vids.
angeski

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Short routines

Post by Anz » 20 Apr 2015 03:48

I haven't played footbag since February now, because my shin was still acting up a little after the session, when I tried to do harder moves like Symposium etc. I went for a short 2 km jog the other day, and there was no complications during or after, so I think I'll try to have a footbag session this week, and see how it feels. It's been 16 months now, that I haven't been able to play footbag.

Because it's spring already, and it's not possible to get back to my best level, I won't compete at Worlds or Euros in 2015. I've been pretty much out of the loop competition-wise. I didn't watch any footage from last years Worlds. Now I'm considering visiting Copenhagen for Worlds finals.

Short routines

Spring is coming and USO, Euros and Worlds are approaching fast. The time for routine plans are now - instead of a week before competition. And those who won't compete in routines can still practice them, it's a great workout for footbag.

Open level routines are two minuts long, which is quite a long time when you actually play through it. Intermediate routine lenght is 1:30 long. It'd be great to do shorter routines just for practice. It would suit any player, from those who haven't practiced routines yet, to those who're just looking for some training.

The judging criteria for routines are presentation, composition, difficulty and execution. It is possible to cram all these into just 45 seconds or a full minute. Planning a shorter routine is also easier, as you don't have to memorise so much.

Short (~1 min) routines would be a great start for inexperienced or new players. Especially when the goal would be to memorise a coreography and play through it dropless.

I'm thinking about collecting some short routine music clips and doing short routines to get my motivation and skill level back up. I have a video project idea about this. Going to start a separate thread about it soon enough.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 20 Apr 2015 03:57

I know you are not the kinda person who wants people's pity but 16 months is brutal, I hope you get back soon old friend.
I also really hope I will see you in Copenhagen this summer, if not for competition then atleast for a beer and some catching up.

I like the short routine idea. Hope you do something with the video project.

Remember BSOS.IT is always open for you if you want to write something a bit longer.

All the best,
A

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 17 May 2016 13:38

A short update.

I'm still getting back in shape after my long injury. I've tried a little footbag, but haven't had regular session yet, due to shred setting back my recovery so many times already. Jogging is fine already, so I should be able to start footbagging soon. I don't know about Worlds though, since I wouldn't be in competition shape. And I probably never again will be - which is something I'm starting to believe. It's been over two years since I had my last proper sessions.

Lately I've been looking into basic cellphone application developing (for Android). It's mostly to teach myself some more basic programming, but I'm sure I could do something useful too, so I started on a footbag related project. This is how it looks:

So far the app has a basic random link generator with three difficulty levels, and a spesific link generator for generating random links of spesific downtime and uptime components. I have more ideas too, like a trick tip section, randomly generating repeat combos and Fearless/Beastly combos (are randomized footbag combos not fun?).

If it turns out alright, I'm gonna release the app for the community at some point. Now I'm looking for test users. If you've got a phone running on Android, contact me via PM or facebook, and I'll send you the application.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 17 May 2016 14:04

Like the idea of the app, I will give you a PM. Too bad to hear about all the injuries.

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 18 Jul 2016 11:32

I'm slowly starting to get back to playing footbag. Haven't had regular sessions yet, and can't do anything high impact (Symple, Symposium, Furious...), but hopefully will be able to get back to them, if my leg gets adjusted back to shred. I am going to take it very easy for some time now, because of so many setbacks already, trying to get back to footbag. I have been jogging twice a week to get back in shape, and my leg hasn't minded it at all.

I did go to Party Bombe last Saturday, and that was fun. I didn't compete, and only played a little footbag, but it was a lot of fun seeing all the players and seeing footbag.
People talking about Worlds got me inspired, and I looked at the flights after getting back home from Helsinki - and bought the tickets. Also already promised Dexter I could help with some stuff, like running Circle.
I haven't been to Worlds after 2012 - doesn't really feel like I missed three Worlds in a row after having attending five in a row. I hope Slovakia is going to be a blast, even though I can't compete at my old level. (Well when has it been about the competition?)
I only registered for Routines, since they don't require such high level tricks. Even though I'm not in a very good shape right now, so even 2 minutes of Mirages and Butterflies is going to be rough. I'm sure I won't regret it though, unlike potentially making myself look like a fool in Circle.
Anyway - really looking forward to Worlds. Hype!

I've been working on the footbag app every now and then. Slow progress, but it's getting pretty useful already. I'm using the random link generator to hit some easy links already. With the RLG I've hit new links like Gyro Butterfly > Spinning Pdx Mirage, that I normally wouldn't think of. It's good practice to get all this rust off.
Still have some untested ideas for it, and I got a couple new ones at Party Bombe.

A handful of players have the app already, and I'm looking for more feedback and ideas about what to tweak and what more to cram in there, before releasing it for a bigger audience. So if you're interested, message me. All you need is an Android phone.

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 18 Jul 2016 12:46

I've wondered why you disappeared from the sport, thanks for the updates. I've missed you and Aleksi a lot.
I can sympathize with your recovery. I'm ~9 months into training from having to take 1.5 years off. Those set backs are the hardest, and like you I had many in that 1.5 years. I use the elliptical at the gym for my running because there is no impact. I can't even run on the treadmill for very long without feeling discomfort but can run and push myself on the elliptical for an hour easy with no pain. Something to consider?
I'm really excited about this app. Coming up with links and drills is the funnest part of playing for me right now and I would love to have this for more variety and creativity, two things I lack. Would also be a great asset for generating request contest links. Something I've been tasked with helping on at my last 2 tournaments, which I found difficult.
Justin Dale
Videos

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Worlds 2016

Post by Anz » 08 Aug 2016 03:10

Oh, the post-Worlds shakes... There'd be a lot to write about, but I don't feel like writing a super long post now, so I'll just put down something here.

I had a great time in Trnava. The spa they had there - oh my stars - we need one of those at every Worlds from now on!

It was very nice to see all those familiar faces again, and to make new friends. It was good to see shred too, even though the level of competition was the lowest I've personally seen at Worlds ever. I really feel inspired to start kicking again, and my shin has been feeling much better actually, which is a pleasant surprise. Maybe it's the Slovakian tap water...

I can't wait to see what kind of awesome videos Mads Hole cooks up from the footage he has from Worlds. Some of the stuff I saw him capture, made me think "I'd pay to see that footage now".

Shout outs to all the Czechs who really worked hard before and during the evet: Dexter, Vojta, Slava, Fanda and the rest. Also the mayor Brocka, who's a nice guy, and has probably the best foosball offence skills I've ever seen - and I only saw him play one game.

Note to self: learn more jokes by next Worlds.

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 08 Aug 2016 05:41

Do you plan to go to Portland World's?! Happy to hear the Footbag flame may be rekindled. Fingers crossed for no more detrimental pain. Brought me smiles seeing you play.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 15 Aug 2016 12:38

If I knew there was an amazing spa at Worlds this year, I would have gone in a heart beat :P jk, there's no way I could have gone this year, but it would have made me feel a whole lot shittier if I knew about the presence of an awesome spa. I love spas. Seriously, spas are probably in my top 10 favorite non-human things in this world.

Great to hear you are feeling recovered from your injury and glad to hear that you had a good time at Worlds. Hope to finally meet you at Worlds '17.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 17 Aug 2016 23:56

Danish Open late October! You should come through with da Jaloviina homeboy!

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 26 Aug 2016 01:41

I do plan on going to Portland Worlds. It's still early to say if I can make it, but I definetly want to go.

The footbag flame has been rekindled. My feet still need to get used to footbag again, but I've kicked twice this week. Just yesterday I was so eager to play, I don't even remember when I was that enthusiastic about it the last time. I kicked for 45 mins. One highlight was Spikehammer > Phoenix > rpt. And it's just great to be able to do symps like Flail, Dolomite and Superfly again.

I'm going to Danish Footbag Open in October (and Jaloviina is coming too). Hopefully I can get most of this rust off my Lavers before that.

Footbag app

https://modified.in/anzapp/

The footbag app I made for Android is released, although one section remains to be made. I haven't had much feedback yet - so I guess that means it's working out fine.
I looked into developing for Apple... and found that it's not going to work out. But Allan has pointed me into the direction of web-based APIs, so if I get into those, the next version of the app could potentially work on any platform.

Back to footbag, fall 2016

I can still hit all the tricks, but my sets have no consistency, there's balance issues, and my legs are lacking strenght, which I can tell clearly when doing Symposiums. All of that means I'm rusty.

Getting back in shape is not going to be much fun. Maybe a little fun though. I'm going to try to do short sessions (30-60 min), so that my muscles can endure it. Already after Worlds my left thigh and calf were really sore - mostly because I tried to stay off of the right foot, which had the fracture. Any irony in that?

Luckily I'm me, so I don't need to ask anyone else how to get back into the game. Here are the links and combos I'll be practicing for the upcoming couple weeks:

PS Whirl > near Flail
Reaper > DATW (i-o)
Blurriest > Janiwalker
Pdx Drifter > Pdx Torque
Ripstein > Whirr
Symp Whirling Swirl > Blurrier
Paradon Swirl > Blizzard
Pdx Blender > Tomahawk
Eggbeater > Tapping Illusion
Spikehammer > Phoenix
Spinning muted Clipper x5
Sidewalk x5

I will hit every combo three times both sides. There's a lot of them, so they alone will probably take close to an hour to complete. I'm not sure yet, for how many sessions I'll be doing these combos. Something like 8-12. I'll probably take some easier sessions between them, not to mess up my legs too badly.

Fearless

If I can get back to playing frequently, hopefully by the end of October I have most of my groove back. In the coming winter I'd like to tackle the unique Fearless WR. It's a pretty good challenge. Apparently the record on video is 23 now, and hopefully I can first beat that, and then aim for 30. But let's not jump ahead of things - first I actually need to back into shape. I've written down some stuff about Fearless, and will post about it later.

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 26 Aug 2016 04:52

Anz wrote:
Luckily I'm me, so I don't need to ask anyone else how to get back into the game.
This is what I was missing in life. Thank you for having 1 true Toe combo on the list :P
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield