Detroit David's Footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Re: Detroit David's Footblog

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 15 May 2014 14:43

Vraidave wrote:It also doesnt help im trying to do flip catchup for almost all my threes at once (mixer, infinity, eggbeater, smear, smudge, magellan, plo, whirl, dimwalk) so ive bitten off a somewhat discouraging and intimidating amount.

Read my new article on BSOS.it

Refer to the very first tip I give. Also, read the rest because I think it could help you. You're one of the ones I had in mind while writing this.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 15 May 2014 21:32

I've already read it lol. Im recognizing my problems, now its a matter of tackling them. Be a hell of a lot easier if i didnt need stupid money from a stupid job or a stupid quality education.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 17 May 2014 06:24

So, more footbag stuff as per request of nick polini :p

Today i finally have no work or school so i finally got to have a real session. This tine i was into it, drops werent discouraging me, i was playing well, and let me tell you, a good attitude goes a long way. I hit 25 tiltless twice. Technically the second time i hit 33 which im pretty sure is a personal record. Both times were cleaner and more both sided than my first time.

Also, i hit four consecutive rakes. I (intentionally) way overcompensated the slight turn necessary for rakes so i was just spinning and raking like mad man. Mostly a silly personal record but a fun one.

Near the end of my session i got a phone call from my friend torrey, saying hes coming over. Which is cool because i havent seen him in nearly a year. This is the same torrey that recently started playing footbag and nick polini tried to hook me up with because he lives somewhat near, not know we were already close friends. So i should be kicking with him today.

Later is another friends birthday party, so i should be able to show off footbag there, with torrey and the friend whose party it is.

Today is a good day for the hacking and sacking,
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 22 May 2014 21:10

Tear it up with that Tiltless shred. It goes a long way.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 24 May 2014 09:13

Yesterday was senior skip day, and what better way to spend it than with footbag and friends? Me and my buddy Torrey met up at a park with anton and had a great session. Torrey made great progress, hit quite a few new tricks, like his first pickup, first butterfly, and two consecutive clippers bs. Im pretty sure clipper set mirage was new for him as well.

For me, i broke my consecutive ss rake record, which was fun and dizzying. Went from 4 rakes to 9. I have no idea why i like it so much, it just feels so smooth and fun. Gotta work on flip rakes now :p i also hit pdx mirage and pdx illusion bsos. Ive hit each trick bsos separately, but this time it was all one string. Felt really nice. Not a whole lot of development for me, but it was still a great time.

As for anton... he still doesn't cease to blow my mind. For torrey, watching a footbagger with a skillset so much higher than him for the first time in person was a mindbending experience. Hell its still a mindbending experience for me.

Senior skip day = senior rake day. Sounds like a party. Everyone enjoy the warming of the weather, unless youre in the southern hemisphere, in which case find a good indoor shred spot!

Toodleoo.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 28 May 2014 18:04

Excellent progression in this night time session i just had. Only about an hour but damn did it feel good. I was really drilling my flip clipper based moves and these are the results:
Beat my old consecutive infinity record (went from 2-3)
Stuck some of the best flip whirls I ever have.
And the part of the session of which i was most proud of was osis. Its finally starting to click. I hit the first few solid osii ive ever hit in my life. I was always scooping and flinging em, now ive got it in my sights. So exciting. So stoked.

All in all a good day for my flipside clippers. Good day :)

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 29 May 2014 08:56

Nice job on the Osii. It's one of the best moves to master early on in your game. And to learn how to make it not scoopy is a really important step. Props. Now set a goal to hit Osis x10

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
Nick Polini

Funblog

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 03 Jun 2014 03:49

I feel like I haven't been posting very much lately, so here's a bit:

The other day, I met up with Anton for a session. It wasn't very groundbreaking (hence me not posting about it right away) but it was, as always, a good time. I didn't play especially poorly, I just didn't really hit anything new. He gave me several challenges throughout the session, a few of which I hit, a few of which I didn't. I tried giving him some challenges, but it's not easy to come up with a challenge for someone who is of a much higher caliber than yourself.

The closest thing to a new trick that I hit was a "clicking" of flip pixie. My strong Pixies are pretty solid. Not perfect, but they're cleaning up. With my flip i just couldn't do it. Anton said one thing, one tweak to my flip Pixie, and I started clearing that dex and whatever followup dex almost every time. I didn't land any new flip pixie tricks, but the dexes were so much nicer. All he told me to do was to clear the dex, then put my foot down way faster. So I did. It was one conscious step I had to take and it made a world of difference.

So that's cool

Anyways, I suppose that's it for now. Gonna go get my diploma today. See you guys later.

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 03 Jun 2014 07:00

Vraidave wrote:I tried giving him some challenges, but it's not easy to come up with a challenge for someone who is of a much higher caliber than yourself.
I disagree. I always found that giving higher caliber players challenges to be a neat way of seeing concepts I would eventually like to hit live, in person. I used to do this a lot with Nick Polini and Nate Pipenberg. The last session I had with Nate, I asked him to hit ripwalk out of torque. I thought it would be a semi big deal but for him, it was nothing. Seeing really good players hit things that you dream about with ease might start off as a little demoralizing but, in the end, can be inspiring. Before the next time you kick with Anton, take time to maybe watch some videos of pros and think of cool thinks that perplex or even amaze you.
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 03 Jun 2014 14:52

Yay on the derploma!

Just wanted to reply to what you said about not hitting anything new…

You shouldn't hit a new trick every session. You should actually aim to NOT hit a new trick every session. This isn't Pokemon, it's footbag. We don't have to catch' em all :P Instead of trying to hit a new trick every session, try to beat a personal record, or try to hit a new link both sides or a new drill (for this to really pay off, try to hit the new link 5x both sides and the new drill about 3 times). I usually try to hit a new trick every now and then, when I start to feel stale or when I think I've practiced 2 components a lot recently and the new trick with both components should be easily hit within 3-5 tries. If you can't hit something within 10 tries, it's a great idea to just give up on it, and drill it's more basic components. However, use that trick that you can't hit as a sort of "progress marker", so you can see how hard it was that day, then after drilling the components of the trick separately, you'll hit it and you can see your progression that way. Sorry for rambling about this.. just figured I'd post some thoughts on it.

Try this approach. I think it will work out much better for you.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 04 Jun 2014 00:50

Well when i say didnt hit anything new, thats what i mean: new tricks, new records, new impressive links, etc. I see what youre saying though definitely, but when i said new trick, i guess i kinda just meant new "thing." Sorry for the confusion. I just meant no new noteworthy stuff :p

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 06 Jun 2014 16:23

Had about an hour long solo session, and i must say, it was quite groundbreaking.

I decided that I was gonna focus on and drill my BOP today. So I did. Mostly infinities and osis. I hit my first flipside osis, and almost hit osis b2b. Then i beat my old infinity record. When i started today, my record was three. Today I hit four, and was naturally super stoked. I decided I could do more though and shot for five. How surprised was i when i hit a whopping sixth infinity. I was so happy.

My quads, however, are pissed at me. Not happy about this BOP drilling at all.

Growing every day. What a great thing, footbag is.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 07 Jun 2014 05:23

"Footbag is."

^What a quote…

Props on flip Osis. Great highlight. Do it a lot and it'll become reliable in no time.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 09 Jun 2014 19:38

Session today went well. Went over to zachs to kick with him and anton. The weather was so hot, it kind of cut our session short but i still have a few highlights.

Ive heard you should wait until you feel like you can hit a trick within a few tries before even trying it (did that make sense?) Anyways, i felt like i could hit paradox dlo and paradox eggbeater. So i did. First time hitting those, woohoo.

They also challenged me to hit a new 3-3 link. It was smear to toe whirl. It took a few tries, but i nailed it, and it felt great.

After our session i had zach cut the seams on my lavers. First mods ive done, a little scary but exciting.

Oh well thats all for now. Later.

Edit: i also hit whirl bsos for i think only the second time in my life. Also cool.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 30 Jun 2014 09:23

I'm still here guys!

I know I haven't posted in a while, but that's because there hasn't been much to post about. I haven't really been progressing or even playing that much honestly. It's been hot, I've been busy, but mostly I've been lazy. I did have one session with Zach and Anton, along with some veteran whose name escapes me at the moment (sorry, if you're reading this.) That was good. I hit Reaper, which was cool i suppose, but also only a one time deal, so I'm not too impressed with myself. Also, in that session, I hit Osis to Infinity for the first time. This is Anton's bread and butter, so he pushed me to learn to link these tricks. Today, I took that a step farther. I hit Infinity > Osis > Infinity BS. I was super proud of that combo. My Clipper game used to be so weak, along with my BOP in general. Now I'm linking those tricks and it feels Grrrreat like Frosted Flakes.

Another few highlights include:
Smear BSOS (my flip pixie needs practice, only hit this once)
PLO x7
Tearing my first shred bag (you will be missed green and black Brian Bear 14 panel)
Flip whirls solidifying (I've said this a lot, but it's getting more true every session)
Been hitting Osis b2b for a bit now, don't know why I haven't posted that.

Feels good to be back in the shredding mood again. I commissioned myself an Ivan bag so I can have two shred bags once again.

Keep on kickin' on.

\m/ichigan shreds

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 30 Jun 2014 09:59

I've never hit reaper, that sounds delicious. I give you at least one prop. Probably more.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 30 Jun 2014 10:38

Hitting a bigger trick one time can be a really beneficial thong. Like when you hit a bigger trick, but you got lucky or can only do it once every 10 tries, you know your body is capable of doing it, you just have to fine tune your basics more.. Leave Reaper alone for a while. Drill its basic components (legover, butterfly, Pdx illusion, illusion, then once those are all good, try some double switchovers).. Do those on and off for 2 or 3 months, then try Reaper again... You'll be amazed with how much easier it got for you. Tricks like how Reaper feels for you right now can be a really cool test of your game. One day you hit it with luck... In a few months you can hit it with your eyes closed.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 07 Jul 2014 07:51

Had a pretty nice session by myself today. Nothing crazy happened but i did a lot of schooling with my BOP. I finally set myself a boppy guiltless string, in order to drill my paradoxes. I hit it after only maybe three or four tries. The drill went like so:

Pdx mirage - butterfly - pdx mirage - butterfly - pdx illusion - butterfly - pdx illusion

I really like drills and strings like this, that mirror themselves on both sides. I had one earlier in my career that i still warm up with. But instead of pdx and butterflies it had mirages, illusions, legovers, and pickups. I just think they make for good drills and look nice mid run.

I also hit a new 4-3 combo im pretty sure. Dimwalk to whirl. I hit it pretty easily, so i guess the next step is flipside.

P.s. as i was typing this a very small black spider with almost unnoticable white stripes (unless you got really close) wandered on me, so i set him down and let him live. Anyone know a lot about north american spiders and know whether i shouldve killed it to protect my family? He seemed harmless enough...

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 07 Jul 2014 08:35

I like that drill with pdx illusion. Paradox illusion... Image

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 07 Jul 2014 08:41

Never kill a spider. Props on letting it live. And the drills lol I would have release it outside, but I think your family is out of harm's way... The white stripes makes me think it's an orb weaver, maybe. I'll be get back to you on that once I get home and see my arachnid ID book. Props on the guiltless run. Try to do it in the beginning and end of every session. Also set and break your muted infinity record each session. That is one of the best tips to get good. Also... TWIST YOUR HIPS NOTICABLY FOR ALL PDX TRICKS. I just got spanked by that realization last night. Makes them all waaaay easier
Nick Polini

Funblog