The Lord of the Strings: A Footblog of Nathan

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: The Lord of the Strings: A Footblog of Nathan

Post by C-Fan » 28 Sep 2016 06:33

Nathan8 wrote:I was perverted.
Top post painting, from one of my favorite perverts:

Egon Schiele's self portrait as Saint Sebastian, circa 1914-15

Nice sick 3 stuff...but hasn't the deadline already passed for the collabo video?

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 28 Sep 2016 14:57

*perturbed

Thanks for the top post painting.

And yes it is.

jooles
Hack Fiend

Post by jooles » 28 Sep 2016 14:59

would love to see the newspaper article!
Also nice tricks and links!

@Ken How dare you calling Egon Schiele a pervert :P
Julian
Vienna, Austria

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 16 Oct 2016 18:52

WARNING: Following post includes emotion. Sorry, I don't like it either. Usually I don't have emotions but ya know.

Footbag has been my girlfriend for nearly three years now (Nov 17th will be 3). We have been going strong since day one, I never questioned our relationship once. Not once. I visited her at least once a week for these 3 years. But this past summer, in July to be exact, we began to have some struggles.

I wasn't progressing as quickly as I always had been. I was still practicing the same, but the results were becoming less and less. I was getting worried and thought that it was the way I was practicing. I felt I needed a breakthrough to get to that next level.

That's when I decided to reach out to some of the greatest players in the sport. One that I spoke to that specifically had an impact on me was Jay Boychuk. We spoke for about 2 hours one nigt and he shared so much insight with me that I am so grateful for.

The most important thing he did for me was be totally truthful. He didn't sugar coat a single thing. Jay told me I was experiencing the footbag learning curve. In the begging, everyone learns fast, but the better you get, the slower progression becomes. He was right, I was being slapped in the face by this learning curve. he told me that at this point ---this is very important--- At this point, I had two options, or two roads that I could follow.

Road #1: "Screw it, I'm going to become the best in the world and nothing is going to stop me"
Road #2: "I'm going to continue to play footbag because I enjoy it"

A year ago, two years ago, I wouldn't have thought twice about this question; I would have gone with road #1 without a doubt in my mind. And that is basically the attitude I had the past few years.

But the road grows steeper. When I was 15, 16, and 17, I lived for footbag. Footbag was all I did, every single choice of every single day revolved around what would make me better at footbag. I just recently turned 18. School is more demanding than ever, I am involved in multiple extracurricular activities, I have a social life (believe it or not), and most importantly here --- my film making hooping is really picking up. ---

All these factors are making me really wonder this one simple question: Is taking road #1 worth it?

This question has been constantly on my mind every single day of the past few weeks.

Let me clarify.

Would road #1 be really frickin hard and require ridiculous dedication all the time? Yes. I know that, I've been there. I have physically and mentally pushed myself to get better at footbag these past few years harder than anyone has any idea of. I know I can do it. I could get to the top level one day, I can feel it. And if footbag was still the only hobby I had, I would do just this

The problem comes in where if I took road #1, I would be making many sacrifices. Mainly, I would have to take time directly away from nurturing my passion for film making. (I know this because I currently take time away from footbag to practice film making).

What if I took road #1, made these sacrifices, and looked in 6 years and said "Wow that was dumb. I wish I had spent my time more wisely."

So here I was, totally lost and where I should be going next. Who could help me know? Well, I knew exactly who. I needed to talk to someone who had a similar footbag career to my own and made it to the top level. I wanted to here from someone on the other side if the commitment was worth it.

So that's when I decided to give David Clavens a call.

He grew up an hour away from me. We are at similar levels in our game senior year of high school. He went to Penn State, I'm going to Penn State next fall. He know has a professional career, just where I want to end up one day. I could very much relate to him. In fact, he told me "you might as well be me"

I asked Clavens quite plainly "was it worth it?" We then spoke for twenty minutes about the matter. He obviously didn't give me a yes or no answer, but he gave me exactly what I wanted; the truth. He told me, looking back on it, he felt that footbag kept him very disciplined an din line in college. His friends went to parties on Friday and Saturday nights, but he always knew he would be playing footbag. He also said that he somewhat wishes that he had gotten out more, been more sociable and attended more parties.

One of the things I told was I felt like all the cards were lining up for me to get great at footbag, and I feared that if I didn't push through that I would lose that opportunity. Then he told me something very interesting. He said that I should always be pouring myself into something. I didn't always have to be footbag. If I was getting that same thrill that I get from footbag while film making, then spend some time working on your film making hobby! He told me that too many go through life without ever investing themselves in anything and that people like him and I should consider ourselves lucky because we GET to choose how we want to spend our time (He listed his own interests as footbag, magic, and marketing). He told me out in the world it doesn't matter so much what your talent is, just that you have one.

He told me it wouldn't be a bad idea to take 2 months off of footbag, invest myself in my film making hobby, then go from there. Footbag will always be there for me, it's not going anywhere.

So where the heck am I now? Running frantically through a field in circles with no conception of time or space.

Seriously, I don't know where I stand. I am running back and forth between road #1 and road #2. As I sit here, drinking water and eating an apple after a footbag session, I am much closer to road #2 than I am road #1. 95% of me wants to take road #2 for two months (and I don't mean stop completely, but play like once a week), and 5% of me is telling me I will regret it if I don't take road #1 right now.

glad that's off my chest

/end emotions

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 16 Oct 2016 23:35

Great post.

Not gonna give you any advice, because I can sense you are just about to get there on your own.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 17 Oct 2016 01:55

You have come to an interesting point in your footbag development, and you probably have the base that will make you a reasonably good player without even putting too much more practice in. I like that line from Clavens, that you should be pouring yourself into something, and I think that's really important, otherwise you will be feeling vacant if you're not putting those same hours into footbag.

You can also party and play footbag at the same time.

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 18 Oct 2016 21:53

Many players have taken road 1 and it broke them. Guy's like Byrin who never return to the game. For a long time I was on road 1. It took a back injury (not footbag related) that kept me from playing for over a year (I never thought I'd play again) to get some perspective. When I came back, I was on road 2. Footbag has never been more enjoyable, and I love spending as much time as possible pushing as hard as I can. The difference is my goal is different. I'm not playing to be the best ever. I'm playing to be my best and to have fun getting there. Part of this is coming to terms with my own limitations but also understanding what it takes to improve, like focusing more on my form than my shred. Looking back over the last several years I think the change in perspective has allowed me to get better than I ever could have on road 1. I've never lost my passion to play or my drive to improve because I'm focused on the journey not the result.
It's important to note, road 2 can lead you close to the end of road 1, because you will work harder on the things you enjoy. You may never win a World Championship, but you could win USO, place top 10 at World's, make final circles, do dropless routines and make BAP. In the end, there may not be that much difference in what you accomplish, but a big difference in how you get there.
Justin Dale
Videos

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 19 Oct 2016 19:24

I liked Justin's post. Pretty similar to my path. I was on path 1 for one year, and it made the sport no fun. From 2001 until now I've been on path 2, and no regrets with my career.

I also agree with the advice to channel your passions into something, even if its not footbag. I think that's the only way to live a satisfying life.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 20 Oct 2016 11:33

Haha I posted in my blog before reading this. You should read my blog. It's pretty related to what you are talking about here. Also, we'll talk about this topic when we hang out next week.

I have a lot to say about this, so clean your ears out before our session.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 20 Oct 2016 16:14

My parents brought this and surprised me with it last time I visited them at our vacation home. Proud teacher moments of our lives.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 26 Oct 2016 10:51

Thanks guys for all the cool posts and respecting my decision. I've been cruzin down road #2 since I made that post and quite honestly lovin life.

Today I hit spender twice on strong side and three times on flip in gym class. Also hit double spinning clipper in very tight quarters in a classroom. - note. - add me on Snapchat: pdxwhirl. for occasionally footbag goodness. There's no period after it, modified is forcing me to put it there.

Listening to the song I'm using for my Christmas Calendar video as I right this post. Stoked for that.

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 29 Oct 2016 08:51

Really enjoyed that post Nathan. Im at a Similar crossroads in my life but not with footbag. I think this is relatable to most people who want to get the most out of their life.

Might be a little late on advising and I can use a bunch for myself, but the question that clarified a lot for me was: what do I want my life to look like right now (not in some distant future)?

Answer that and strive for that.

Good luck with your journey through this wonderful existence!

Nathan8
Shredaholic

Post by Nathan8 » 05 Apr 2017 18:38

Hi there. A lot of time has passed. Much has transpired. A small/medium amount of footbag has been played. No "training" has occurred. Film stuff has been going great. Currently considering Worlds 2017. If I decide to go (which I'm leaning heavily towards), I am going to go all in and this blog will see a rebirth.