Danny Boi'$ FootblG

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Re: Adventures of a Newb: Dan's Footblog

Post by DC Clinks » 25 Jun 2014 22:10

Yea I agree, keeping a level head is important for a bunch of stuff. He's definitely right in that regard!

Thanks for all the tips, I'll be sure to try that out next session. And yea Matt's a pretty knowledgeable guy haha, he helps out a bunch.

I actually worked on some orbit/ ATW stuff with my session with Matt today although I should practice and drill it solo too. I got a couple orbits on my right leg with decent form, and some on my left but as Matt said they're a "little wild" so have to work on that. ATWs still feel a little odd movement wise so didn't get those today, but I'll practice all that soon for sure.

Yea that record breaking is a good idea, I don't think they're that boring though. I like toe stall stuff more so far. But I shouldn't be neglecting my inside stuff too. Must find time to practice it all.

The session with Matt today was chill af. It was raining but we made the best of it and left the park in good spirits despite Matt's windshield wipers not working (how was the ride home bud?). I hit a new toe stall record of 118, up from 99. It was really cool to break 100 and I know I'm consistent enough with them now to the point where I can get at least 70-80 most of the time.

Some drills I did were:

Inside stall > opposite toe stall > opposite toe stall > opposite inside > repeat. I got 11 rotations of that one.

Inside stall > opposite toe stall > legover > repeat. 3 or 4 with this one I think.

Got 4 alternating legovers. Really want to hit 10 but since these are a lot more developed now than my other tricks I should probably focus on other stuff for the time being (but still practice them of course).

Tried inside > toe > op toe > orbit but these didn't work out very well as I have trouble doing only one or two right now. Maybe save this for later.

Maybe in the future I can try legover > orbit > legover > orbit (or ATW). Seems like a fun challenge.

Gonna have a few solo sessions while Matt's away at US open and really try to drill some stuff out. Matt said he might come up with a list of stuff for me to practice, that would help me focus in on certain stuff. But I definitely want to try and work on ATWs/ orbits, clippers, n pickups.

I'm getting kind of worried about my right leg, for the last 4 sessions I've been getting this weird pain in my quad like an hour into every session that gets worse if I keep going. It's not like mind-numbing pain but it's really annoying and distracting. Definitely makes it harder to execute tricks however. I'm not sure if it's just muscle strain and I just need to take a few days off or what but I hope it resolves itself soon because I want to really practice.

I've been getting back into drawing and stuff like that so been working on some sketches n shiz over the past few days. I'll post em either here or on Facebook. I have a cool project in mind but nor sure if I can execute it well enough, we'll see.
-Daniel C. NY, USA. "Sacrifice a goat to our Lord and Savior Evan Gatesman".

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 29 Jun 2014 16:16

Session today. Was gooood. Or okay I guess. Stomach was a bit upset during most of it.
Did some stuff that Matt suggested, including:

Inside Stall x 50
Toe Stall x 100
(did more than these total but just to start off as a warmup)
Inside> Op Toe > Legover repeat (BS 5 times)
Inside> Wrap (BS 5 times)
Toe > SS Inside > SS Toe repeat (BS 5 times)
Orbit (BS 5 times) (left side wasn't as wild this time, felt a bit better than last session, right is looking ok I think)
Clipper (was supposed to try and get BS 5 times but only ended up getting 4 on my left side, the movement/form of my right Clipper is really janky, will have to work on it more)

About an hour and a half total. I got some new Dr.Scholls soles for my Lavers finally. It took a little getting used to the added weight but I think it helped a bit with my muscles, the quad area that's been bothering me feels fine at the moment so that's good. Will have another session tomorrow, hopefully longer.

Oh yea and here's an album of my sketches if anyone was interested in that sort of thing: http://imgur.com/a/z1DiU#0

Peace ☮

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 29 Jun 2014 23:40

Sounds like you a putting in the work to get good! Props for that!

Study this for perfect clipper form:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGNJgqmtt4Y[/youtube]

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 30 Jun 2014 04:21

love hate relationship with clippers. i am still trying to get mine down. some days i think i have it and then i am reminded that i don't. they just take a while. keep drilling. cool sketches!
Aaron Price
No reason why extreme cardio should be boring. -Salem Straub

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 30 Jun 2014 13:47

Thanks dude, I am loving this sport more and more. I've seen that one before but I'll watch it a few more times, maybe something will click.

Haha yea, that's for sure. Guess we just gotta keep at it. Thanks! I saw your comment about hitting 40 inside kicks, props dude-- that's a nice feeling.

Session today, was dope. Highlights:
-Toe stalls x200
-Inside stalls x100
-Inside > Op Toe > Legover x10 BS
-Inside > Wrap > catch x10 BS
-Toe > SS Inside > SS Toe x10 BS (8 reps before dropping right, 4 left)
-Orbit x10 BS (Left is still messy but less so than two session ago)
-Inside > Op Toe > Orbit x5 BS
-ATW x2 right landed, one footed (left leg can't even begin to fathom that kind of movement right now, will work on it next session)

That feeling after a good session:
Last edited by DC Clinks on 01 Jul 2014 00:04, edited 1 time in total.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 30 Jun 2014 19:58

You are improving the very most correctest way ever ever ever in the whole world.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 01 Jul 2014 00:17

Haha thanks dude, I'm trying. Wanted to work a bit on clippers n pickup/ whatever that other one is where you dex in to out and stall on the same toe you set with, can't remember the name of it for some reason.

But I was already about two hours in and didn't want to overwork my legs too much. Want to be able to shred tomorrow.

Got a few more sketches:
http://m.imgur.com/a/4BAw4
Unfortunately they're all unfinished at this point, but I'd like to go back and find some time to work on them more. Some clouds, an old school camera, and Spyro the Dragon.

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 01 Jul 2014 14:12

Another session today. Tried working more on Clippers. Stuff I did:
-100 mixed inside/ outside kicks [Using both right/left for each] (60 of those in a row, did more than this but that's all I counted)
-200 toe stalls (112 in a row)
-100 inside stalls (maybe 15 in a row? Wasn't keeping track)
-Inside Stall > Wrap > Hand Catch x20 BS
-Inside Stall > Opposite Toe Stall > Legover x15 BS
-Clipper 5 left, some stall exercises Matt showed me and 1 footed right
-Toe Stall > Same side Inside Stall > Same side Toe Stall x15 BS (11 reps before dropping right, 4 on left)
-Orbits x10 BS (Got some pretty decent ones on my left side which was nice)

Finished off the session with a nice clean Legover > Orbit > Legover > Orbit. I was trying to get this for a good 10 minutes or so and finally hit it, promptly yelling "Fuck you. Fuck this, I'm done" (in a good way) to half the neighborhood. Was nice.

Will probably take a rest day tomorrow, maybe a session with Matt later in the week.

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 05 Jul 2014 12:59

Hey people, been busy with birthday shiz, sketching n videogames so haven't first written anything. But I've had two session since my last post, one with Matt and one solo.

First session with Matt since he went to USO. He said going to it and seeing how all the other people played helped him improve his own play-style which is cool, nice job bud. We played with a prize footbag he got from the event instead of his usual one. I pretty much like all the footbags we play with together more than my own ones for some reason. I think they're all a bit smaller than mine, and the fill level is more optimal for stalls and tricks. Maybe I should buy a bag from Ivan or Marco or someone else in the stitching biz. I also want to try and make my own at some point.

Can't really comment that much on Matt's end because I don't really know the names of any tricks or drills he does, but he can cover that shit himself I guess. Sometimes I ask him the name of certain tricks he does because they look really cool or difficult, or about the various components in a particular trick. But I figure I'll learn all that later on so shouldn't really focus much on it now.

I don't remember hitting anything new for me, but Matt hadn't seen me play since before USO so I improved a bit with some solo sessions. It's cool to take a step back after a few solo sessions and recognize your improvement, like "Woah. I used to not be able to even do this once and now I can do it a bunch of times!" So cool, Jake the dog is right.

Took a break yesterday but had a solo session today! It was around 2 hours, 2 and a half but I slowed it down a bit. Forgot to mention I'm doing this all marathon style, so it's like hit 1, drop 3, hit 2, drop another etc. List of what I did:
-Inside Stall x 100 (50 each side)
-Toe Stall x 200 (100 each side)
-Inside > Op Toe > Legover x 10 BS
-Clippers: 6 left, 1 right (these aren't very good form yet but I'm doing Clipper exercises to try and help with that) [Wraps, stall exercises etc)
-Toe > SS Inside > SS Toe x 15 BS
-Inside > Wrap x 10 BS
-Orbit x 20 BS

My right leg didn't hurt as much after this session so maybe it's just like a muscle strength issue I need to just build up or something, I don't know. Could also be because I went slower today with a break yesterday, not sure. I also think I got sunburn too. Fuck.

My Dad got me some pretty cool running shoes for my birthday so will try n break those in tomorrow, maybe another session later in the day if I feel in good shape still.

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 07 Jul 2014 14:56

Had a session today that was unfortunately interrupted by a thunderstorm. Did less than I wanted to:
-100 Inside Stalls (24 in a row, 50 BS)
-100 Toe Stalls (50 BS)
-10 Inside > Toe > Legover
-20 Inside > Wrap > hand-catch
-15 Toe > SS Inside > SS Toe BS
-10 Orbit BS

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 07 Jul 2014 21:42

Hey man, yeah, I can see lots of improvement in your game already. Wish you were coming to PSU MiniJam this weekend.

Your one blurb reminded me of something I like to do, which is try some combos/drills/repeating b2b trick, then when I get to one that I can't hit within like 10 tries or that I absolutely just can't hit, I stop trying it for a month and work on the separate tricks and the link between those tricks throughout that month. After a good bit of work on stuff surrounding those concepts, I try it again and kind of test myself to see if it got any better. Usually, I pass my self-tests. It's a cool feeling. You should try it sometime.

One more thing.. watching footbag videos gets a little cooler once you start to understand more of the names to things. But you'll know the names when you hit the trick and I think thats a good way to learn names too. I think I remember that you used to or still skateboard? It's kinda similar to watching a skate video when you knew that Andrew Reynolds did a Frontside Flip over a hand rail down a huge set of stairs.. rather than not knowing much, except that some guy with a hat made his board do a cool floppy spiny thing over a stair set. I miss skateboarding… sorta..

Anyway, looking forward to see where you'll be by the end of this summer.

Keep doing what you're doing. It'll all pay off.
Nick Polini

Funblog

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 08 Jul 2014 19:26

Thanks dude! I actually might be able to make it-- I'll know for sure on Thursday.

Oh neat, sounds like a good idea, makes sense too I suppose. Might try that with my Clippers. They're a right pain in the ass.

Haha yea exactly! It's like you know all the different movements and skills required to execute a certain trick so you appreciate it more than if you were just watching some random cool talent that you have no clue how to do. Sorta I guess lol. But yea I know what you're saying, I actually didn't skate that much, was just getting into Ollies and Manuals when my shitty ass Walmart-board broke.

It's mad hard! Sure I can stall a tiny ass bag on my feet 100 times in a row, but maneuvering my legs into manipulating a piece of plywood to fly in the air? Nah, my legs won't be having none of that. Kinda weird, maybe I'll give it another go but I'd probably be a bit hesitant cuz you get mad injuries skating and that would fuck with my footbag time hardcore.

Yea, should be fun times. I will for sure. What's that saying... Keep your feet to the grindstone? Something like that :)

Quick session today. Went to the park and kept getting interrupted by random shit.
-Varied kicks x100 (Inside, Outside, Toe)
-Inside stalls x100 (30 in a row, 50 BS)
-Toe stalls x100 (49 in a row, 50 BS)
-Inside > Toe > Legover x10 (5 BS)
-Orbit x10 (5 BS)
-Legover > Orbit > Legover > Orbit x2 (1 rotation each)

Might take a rest day tomorrow, not sure.

Had a tough time hitting legovers today, was pretty frustrating. My orbits are coming along though. I think another week or two and I'll have them down pretty good. Still need to work on ATWs, pickup, mirage, and illusions I think? ATWs I can get sometimes on my right foot, pickups I've gotten kinda close with right, haven't tried left. Mirages are mind boggling, have to study some shit for this I think. And illusions I haven't tried at all yet. But I guess I can save that for after I get other dex shit down.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 08 Jul 2014 23:28

Looks like you're training hard an improving well, keep it going!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 09 Jul 2014 08:37

Dude, hope you can come to psu this weekend. I'll give you some tips on pickup and Mirage. Message me on fb when you find out
Nick Polini

Funblog

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 09 Jul 2014 15:13

Thanks other Dan! I'll try haha.

I hope so too dude. PA Net event was so fucking rad. Seriously one of the coolest experiences in my life. Sounds good, I'll message you n Matt first thing after I know.

Had another session today, focused mostly on Orbits:
-Toe Stalls x100 (50 BS, 40 in a row)
-Inside Stalls x100 (50 BS, 20 in a row)
-Inside > Wrap > Catch x20 (10 BS)
-Inside > Toe > Legover x10 (5 BS)
-Orbits x40 (20 BS)
-Toe > Inside > Toe x20 (10 BS)
-ATW x2 right

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 10 Jul 2014 01:56

But really, you should come to psu this weekend. I don't know if anyone told you, but rumor has it that there will be some cool cats and somewhat big dawgs there. Just sayin.

Oh, and props on the progress.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 10 Jul 2014 17:24

GOING TO PSU ARTS JAM!!!

Thanks Ivan, you got any bags to sell?

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 10 Jul 2014 18:54

Anything you want, just shoot me a message on Facebook and I will have it done for you for the weekend.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 10 Jul 2014 18:59

Awesome! I am very excited to meet you in person Dan! :)
April Tou
kicker, stitcher, footbag enthusiast, baker of PSUFC

"Drill until it's ingrained." -old Indian proverb according to a book I read

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 12 Jul 2014 16:30

I'm glad you're sitting next to me in a purple shirt with a chair on you
Nick Polini

Funblog