"Freakin' Original" footbag club

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
sqig
Hack Fiend

Re: "Freakin' Original" footbag club

Post by sqig » 19 Jan 2015 21:43

No I'm still here, I've just been being a hermit haha. Not only am I still here, but I still kick with a few bros regularly, and I believe that clubs are forming in the Jr high and middle schools around here. So that's pretty awesome to be a part of!

Thanks for pointing me to the Facebook page. I'll definitely be spending some time there.
Zach Rail

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 17 Feb 2015 21:00

What's up guys? Been kinda busy lately so I haven't been shredding as much, but I should have a lot more time to play after this weekend.

During my session today the thought occurred to me to put on a sorta jam in my hometown. I'm pretty sure there are several shedders in the junior high and middle schools who I haven't met yet (I think they may have even formed a school club), and I figure this would be a cool way to bring everyone together. I'm thinking we could have some sort of horse tournament or request competition, perhaps with custom tee shirts or footbags for prizes.

Maybe this is all just a pipe dream, but I think something like this could really stimulate the scene around here. I'm gonna check with a dude I know in the junior high and see how much interest there actually is and go from there.

Any suggestions are totally welcomed.
Zach Rail

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 17 Feb 2015 21:34

I think you could generate some hype by posting this idea in the footbag Facebook group. There are several players in surrounding states that might make the trip. It couldn't hurt to try.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 18 Feb 2015 05:21

Conway is about a 5-6 hour drive from St.Louis. Cory and I could potentially drive down for it.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 18 Feb 2015 09:12

That would be an awesome couple of attendees. One pro level and one advancing intermediate to attend. Perfect mix. Kyle and Cory could teach you and your crew a ton and get your club and you started off on the right foot. I hope you guys can make it.
Nick Polini

Funblog

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 26 Jun 2015 22:57

What's up guys? It's been a while since I've posted, but I just had the best week of my footbag career so far so I figured I'd give y'all an update. I've been mainly focusing on getting the fundamentals of my tiltless game solid for the past couple of months, and I can tell that it's starting to pay off. I let loose and shredded harder and longer hours this week than I usually do, and I was stoked by how long I was able to sustain strings and how many new tricks I was able to hit.

Since my last post I've hit: ss atomic butterfly(legbeater?), ss tapping mirage, fs blur, ss ducking clipper, ss whirl, and bs stepping legover(shmoe?). The final four of those were all hit this week.

I'm fired up right now so go ahead and shoot me some challenging links to try or something if you don't mind.

On another note, I'm gonna be heading off to college soon, so I'm gonna be largely disconnected from my shred group. I'll just have to try and foster a new community where I'm at, but I might end up on here more often in order to fill the gap, so to speak. Also, I think I may have opportunity to visit st Louis every now and then, so I figure I could meet up with the guys there.

Sherd hard
Zach Rail

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 27 Jun 2015 06:57

Yo man, I keep thinking your quit lol I'm glad you still play and are continuing to get better. Your highlights are great! Huge props on all of those, specifically the Stepping (op or ss?) Legover (Schmoe is Stepping ss Legover).. I'm a sucker for both sidedness :P

My challenge to you is to learn those other tricks on flipside and learn Stepping ss Clipper bs. Footage of all of the above would be cool too.

Where are you going to college?

I strongly suggest that you meet up with Kyle and Cory from St. Louis. They will be able to teach you so much.

Also, don't get bummed if you go on modified and no one is talking. Modified is still great, but more than 3/4 of the world wide footbag community can be found on wow.Facebook.com/groups/footbag It's basically the only reason I have a Facebook account nowadays :/

See ya around.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
Nick Polini

Funblog

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 27 Jun 2015 09:47

Thanks nick! The stepping legover was an op legover so I guess not a schmoe. I've been doing stepping ss clippers since you recommended them to me a while back, I'll try and see if I can get some on video sometime.

I'm going to college in Jonesboro, so a few hours from st Louis by car. However, I'm gonna be on the track team, and they apparently know someone who will give them cheap flights to St Louis to hang out for a weekend or whatever. So hopefully I'll be able to visit every now and then.

I look at the Facebook group every so often, I just haven't posted anything yet. I guess it's just an aversion to posting on facebook haha.
Zach Rail

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 28 Jun 2015 14:14

Cool! I know what you mean. The only reason I have a Facebook account still is BECAUSE of footbag :/

Hope the cheap flights work out!

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
Nick Polini

Funblog

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 29 Jun 2015 19:45

I had a pretty productive session today. I got started by drilling flipside fundamentals: atw/orbit, mirage, pdx mirage, butterfly, and some hop overs and wraps. Then I moved on stepping sets. I hit stepping ss clipper x3 bs, as well as schmoe bsos (for real this time haha), and blur bsos.

After drills I decided to do some filming since I haven't in a while. Watching the footage was pretty enlightening. I realized that I'm still hunching over, and that my free form shred is more one sided than I'd hoped. I'll have to be more intentional to avoid those.

But anyways, here it is:
Zach Rail

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 29 Jun 2015 21:01

That was something. You've improved immensely since the last video you released a little while ago. Your Atomics and Stepping look really great. As you said, you're still hunching a little, but it's good you pointed it out yourself.

Any specific reason you're playing underneath a tree? :P

Try to find a cement spot to play on. You'll thank yourself later when your ankles are still intact. I've seen too many people playing on dirt and getting injured.

You're well on your way. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see your game a year from now. You're going to be really good if you keep drilling how you've been drilling.
Nick Polini

Funblog

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 30 Jun 2015 14:06

Thanks for the props. I try and play on concrete when it's available, but I live out in the sticks so a good slab is at least a 10 minute drive away haha. The reason I'm under a tree specifically is because it's hot as hell out haha. I also play inside on carpet sometimes, but I like to get outside.

I drilled some more today. Started with a lot of flipside atw/orbits and flipside near butters, then moved on to some stepping stuff, did some rakes and illusions, and then basically finished it off with a ton of osis.

Now my hips are sore haha.
Zach Rail

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 01 Jul 2015 06:43

sqig wrote:Also, I think I may have opportunity to visit st Louis every now and then, so I figure I could meet up with the guys there.
@Swizzle and I are in St.Louis and love visitors.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 01 Jul 2015 06:51

Just watched the video. Those Blurs looked really good. Hope you get to make it out here to shred soon. will be watching this blog a little more closely now!
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 01 Jul 2015 19:54

Thanks man, I hope I get to meet you guys sometime soon. How long have you been in the game?

Did some more drilling today at a neat new spot I found at the school. It's basically like an alleyway that goes between two parts of the school but with a wall at one end. It's secluded, shaded nearly all day, and it's not in the dirt haha. Still a 20 minute drive, but I'm there pretty often anyways.

Flipside ATW/Orbits are improving, and illusions are starting to click better. I found it helps to lead into illusions with a couple of legovers to get the dex right.
Zach Rail

sqig
Hack Fiend

Post by sqig » 04 Jul 2015 19:53

Been kicking the gnarbag, hit flip legbeater, drilled more flip ATW, getting better at illusions, and mainly just posted this to say 'gnarbag'.
Zach Rail

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 10 Jul 2015 03:55

sqig wrote:Thanks man, I hope I get to meet you guys sometime soon. How long have you been in the game?
I started training freestyle last july, but I was a circle kicker for a few years before that.
you said something about legovers helping with illusions and I must agree, that was one of the combos that helped me learn illusion, try toe ss legover>Same Illusion>rpt. Illusion from near clipper is my favorite illusion. .
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges