Jiawei's footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: Jiawei's footblog

Post by C-Fan » 19 Sep 2014 04:52

Yeah, sounds like double switchover.

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 21 Sep 2014 07:38

Hi Jiawei!

I sent you a PM regarding the bag you won. :)

I'll say here that it's a spike bag and I hope that's fine.
Also, it needs breaking-in, and will be a bit roll-y for a bit.

I hope you like it :D
April Tou
kicker, stitcher, footbag enthusiast, baker of PSUFC

"Drill until it's ingrained." -old Indian proverb according to a book I read

Jiawei
Hack Fiend

Post by Jiawei » 22 Sep 2014 03:10

bluevampire101 wrote:Hi Jiawei!

I sent you a PM regarding the bag you won. :)

I'll say here that it's a spike bag and I hope that's fine.
Also, it needs breaking-in, and will be a bit roll-y for a bit.

I hope you like it :D
Hi, thanks for making it! I will take note about the breaking in :)

Jiawei
Hack Fiend

Post by Jiawei » 03 Oct 2014 08:25

3rd October 2014

I have been busy with exams for some time now so have not been active awhile, but now that it is over, I hope to be able to update it regularly and train more often. I started training symposium tricks a few days ago and just after 2 days, my knees started to hurt a lot and I find pain especially when I do Quantums. I wonder how most people manage this. Do I really need special insoles? Is it the way I land my planting foot? By the way, those symposium tricks are mirages and whirls. For the past few training sessions, I have been training side walk and adding some variations to it. I've also been drilling mirages both sides and starting to learn illusion.

I was at a freestyle football meet today but I managed to find a lot of time to footbag. I landed diving clipper - swirl, 3/4 whirls and many other stuff that I cannot remember clearly now, I can only recall having done something with a rip walk in the middle.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 03 Oct 2014 09:54

Great to hear that you've been playing again. You're well on your way...

But yes, especially if you are doing bigger concepts now, aside from 2 adds, you really do need special insoles. Try Spenco insoles. They're great.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 03 Oct 2014 10:12

Special insoles probably help. They are the wise option, but not the only one. I've been using very bad and thin insoles all the time, now my legs are virtually indestructible. I could probably play on steel surface and my legs would be fine.

That is not advised, though. It's a good way to injure yourself unless you really know the limits of your body.

It's the most metal way, though! (but seriously, you should probably buy better insoles)
I hate bad form and I'm a hypocrite.

Vojta

Jiawei
Hack Fiend

Post by Jiawei » 04 Oct 2014 08:18

Thanks for the advice! I will try to find some insoles.

4th October 2014

I had a really short session but I managed to land a downtime swirl for the first time. I read about landing on your toes yesterday so I started training that too and applied it to my whirls.

Jiawei
Hack Fiend

Post by Jiawei » 05 Oct 2014 08:10

5th October 2014

It was raining today so I had to train at home. My sister was studying so I could only do stepping moves when she takes a break. I managed to get downtime swirl again. I started training opposite swirl and landed it for the first time. I managed to end a downtime opposite swirl with a stall, but I did not managed to catch the bag because I did not expected to land it. I drill atw with both legs too. I am also trying to make my datws more consistent. During her break, I almost did 3 side walks. I got diving clipper - swirl.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 05 Oct 2014 22:04

Nice job with the Swirls and the Stepping. I found those both pretty tough when I first started playing. Stepping was the hardest for me. Props on understanding them so quickly.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Jiawei
Hack Fiend

Post by Jiawei » 06 Oct 2014 07:16

Thanks Nick!

6th October 2014

The haze is back and I had to stay indoors again. Because it is unhealthy to play sports with the haze still coming through the windows, I turned the air-conditioner on. I had to shred softly again because my sister still has to study for her exams. I had a 2 hour session. I read somemore about swirl on this forum today. I think the downtime swirl that I have been landing is more like a symple swirl, just without a jump. For the first time, I landed far swirl, spinning clipper. For spinning clipper, I spin in a forwards direction but there is another trick where you spin backwards, similar motion to ducking osis. Is there a name for it? Something that I was really happy about was that I landed 9 whirls. My record was only 3 for the past few days and suddenly a 9 shocked me. Other than that, I managed to get a proper "symple" twist (found out that it isn't called rev. swirl). I'm still stuck with 2 side walks but I landed diving clipper - side walk.

Jiawei
Hack Fiend

Post by Jiawei » 07 Oct 2014 04:53

7th October 2014

I had 2 training sessions today. I managed to do 3 side walks, finally! I landed blur for the first time today and managed to get side walk - blur later on. I also landed butterfly swirl. Trained symposium stuff too. Could not beat my 9 whirl record :(

Jiawei
Hack Fiend

Post by Jiawei » 09 Oct 2014 05:20

8th October 2014

I had a long football competition in the morning so my muscles were too sore to train.

9th October 2014

My legs were still very sore but I had a session. Something that I was really happy about was that I did whirl-whirl-ripwalk-osis sidewalk. I did not expected to continue it because it was my first time doing osis sidewalk.

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 09 Oct 2014 07:26

Wow. Dude, you are really good! Jealous of your Clipper progress, keep it up!
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 09 Oct 2014 08:10

Whirl whirl Ripwalk Osis sidewalk combo???? What???? Jiawei, that's incredible. Props on that string. Keep drilling that Osis> Stepping link on both sides. It's very useful.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Jiawei
Hack Fiend

Post by Jiawei » 11 Oct 2014 06:47

Thanks guys :D

10th October 2014 - Received the footbag from April
I was busy today so did not get to train. However, I received the prize bag from April! Thanks Nick for organising the competition and April for sponsoring the bag :) . I got it at night but I played around with it for a little while.

11th October 2014
I had the first actual training session with the bag today. The bag was much easier for uptime moves like atomic and fairy sets but for some weird reason, I find it harder to do sidewalks, even though I tried adjusting to the bag. It felt as if I had to set higher to do it. I also found that I had to adjust most of my other clipper tricks too. However, it was easier for toe dexes. I did two consecutive datws and some symposium combos for the first time. This was also my first spike bag and I found it pretty cool. Overall, I can say that this is the best bag I had ever played with, it sets 2 times higher than my current bag and the pattern and stitching is really neat. Thanks again :D .

Now onto the specific things I landed. They are... Symposium mirage > op mirage > Symposium mirage drill on both sides, 2 datw as mentioned above and swirl > twirl. Some other stuff that I had landed before was butterfly swirl, symposium whirl, blur, symple swirl, barfly and switch over. I've been training double legover, but I can't seem to get it. Have been doing mirage drills lately too.

Jiawei
Hack Fiend

Post by Jiawei » 12 Oct 2014 07:34

12th October 2014

I started training fairy seriously today and I hit fairy ss legover not sure if there is a proper name but I can't seem to find it. Looks like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfREmWR3_oI
I am trying fairy flipside but I still need to drill more of atw. Still find it hard to do sidewalks with the bag. I had a long session but that was all that I had noticeably landed. Oh yea, I landed ducking mirage from a clipper set yesterday.

Jiawei
Hack Fiend

Post by Jiawei » 14 Oct 2014 06:31

13th October 2014 - CCA

14th October 2014

My ankle hurts from CCA yesterday so I could not do clipper at all. I'm not sure if it is a sprain or a muscle strain. However, I still could do non clipper moves. I landed fairy ss legover again and fairy ss mirage for the first time. I am still trying double legover. I work on mirage combos and a little bit on my outside toe tricks.

Jiawei
Hack Fiend

Post by Jiawei » 15 Oct 2014 05:54

15th October 2014

I still had felt pain in my left ankle but I can do clipper now. I worked on blur and stepping mirage. Nothing much today, focused on the basics.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 15 Oct 2014 06:00

That bag is absolutely gorgeous.

How about some video?

Jiawei
Hack Fiend

Post by Jiawei » 16 Oct 2014 05:34

ken, I will try to make one soon :D

16th October 2014

I had a basement session today because it started raining halfway. I landed butterfly swirl 3 times in a row (edit: It was not 3 in one combo but just got it 3 times without failing). I forgot to say that I landed my first twirl yesterday. I did twirl > Whirl and Swirl > Twist today. Nothing much new.
Last edited by Jiawei on 16 Oct 2014 07:13, edited 1 time in total.