AdAstra's Footblog: Hopefully be back soon

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Re: AdAstra's Footblog: flipside and fundamentals

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 24 Feb 2016 22:58

You're killing it with the flipside/fundamentals catch up. Great job, keep pushing that! I think it's great that your mind is already inventing tricks. That's a useful attribute for your game. Creativity. And yes, I've done PLENTY of Revups. It's basically my favorite trick. This past month and thins month, I've been passively drilling Pdx Revups from both sides. I'll film them and show you some combos with it. Honestly, you're a lot closer to Revup than you may think, but before you attempt it, you have to hit FIVE Reverse Swirls on flipside. You'll be happier waiting until that point, because then you'll probably hit Revup both sides in the same session. Reverse Swirl is such an incredibly fun and USEFUL trick. It helps me gain control when I'm about to fall out of control. For instance, If I do something like a Gyro Drifter (Vortex), but my Gyro set is off kilter a bit, I can still catch the bag with the Vortex, but I'll be off balance, so I just seal it with a Reverse Swirl and correct the placement of the bag on my shoe. I'm sure you'll experience that sooner or later. Good stuff, buddy.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 25 Feb 2016 15:11

25 February 2016

Not-so-pro-tip: don't shred immediately after eating an apple. Terrible idea. Stomach pains...

Thanks everyone for the encouragement on the Flipside/fundamentals grind!

Practiced today but didn't do too much.

Notables:

- started working on flipside reverse swirl just to get my muscles used to the dex.
- toe stall drills for dayz.
- flipside clipper for weekz.
- played ping pong today for the first time in years. I've still got it. 8)
Austin
Lexington, KY, USA, Pale Blue Dot

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 26 Feb 2016 17:32

26 February 2016

Mini practice again today. I really need to take time off and just regain full muscle usage. I chose to do mini sessions after a ridiculously intense practice and it was the wrong choice. Better, I think, to just take the time off earlier and get back to 100% than shred at 60%. If any new players end up going back to my blog as a chronicle of how to go from noob to BAP (I'm aiming high :mrgreen: :footbag: ) then take that advice, haha.

Some takeaways from the past week:

- I'm getting to the point that I can conceive of tricks I haven't learned yet. Indeed, I ended up lying in bed last night for a solid hour envisioning Footbag.
- Also feeling the music while I shred and can see cool tricks for different parts of the song. Once I can hit those tricks I feel like routines might be my jam. I suppose I have my musical background to thank for this propensity.
- finally learning the nomenclature

Today's practice:

- ended up doing quite well improving the average number of contacts on my flipside clipper. Muscle still isn't there yet but it's getting much better. This is promising considering how much my performance is probably suffering due to soreness so I'm pumped to play at 100%!
Austin

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 27 Feb 2016 02:33

Just shred with the apple instead. That will keep you in good stead.

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 28 Feb 2016 14:42

28 February 2016

Practiced at the park today. The weather was wonderful! Almost 70F!

My practices have been awful lately and I'm not sure why. I took a day off yesterday and I don't feel sore but I definitely feel like I've backtracked this week. Not sure why.

I did have a couple highlights:

- Near Mirage is now something I can hit on both sides, and is easier than ever.

- hit what I think is my first guiltless link? Butterfly > Flapper. Both 3 adds so I think that's how that works.

- had some really young kid mesmerized watching me shred. He had to have only been like 2 years old. Hopefully a future BAP member ;)
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 29 Feb 2016 10:59

Resting today to try to get back to 100% but I wanted to add something. Footbag has given me ripped quads haha. I'm really surprised.
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 01 Mar 2016 13:32

1 March 2016

Back at it today! I feel more confident in my game.

The only thing that is bothering me right now is my right ankle crank. My clipper has been improving steadily but my inside stalls are horrid. My toe points into the ground.

Today I drilled:

- toe stall > op toe stall. My setting, control, and consistency have made leaps and bounds forward thanks to better form.

- Flip-side clipper.

- inside stalls.

- Flipside ATW and Orbits.

- Mirage both sides.

- Flipside clipper ss drill.

Also:

I HIT MY FIRST DATW!!
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 03 Mar 2016 13:33

3 March 2016

Felt kinda heavy on my feet today, so my practice wasn't super amazing. Luckily I was practicing a lot of simple stuff so it didn't matter that much.

Today I drilled:
- toe op toe delays for dayz. Left toe stall still gets sloppy as I go on though.
- flipside clipper from hand set.
- flipside orbits and ATWs.
- flipside legover (so inconsistent!)
- held an inside stall on flipside as long as possible to strengthen the muscles. It actually started to hurt in the hip/groin area though so I stopped.
- flipside clipper ss. I was too tired at this point, but I was able to diagnose my problem. My sets are consistent if they're too low, but inconsistent if they're high enough. I'll have to really keep this in mind.

Highlights:
- incorporated a DATW into a string. Pretty happy about this.
- really felt my muscles getting stronger lately so I'm glad that that is finally coming along.
- tried ss clipper on strong side once just for the hell of it and got x32!!!! Boom! PR.

Frustrating:
- it was like I've never hit a reverse swirl. I was messing around before I started practicing and I couldn't really hit it cleanly. Ugh.
- I ate unhealthily the past week due to the approaching quantum mechanics test, no time to make food ;P . Big mistake. No energy for shredding: had to cut my practice after an hour. Got really sloppy.

Also: I borrowed a camera so videos will be a thing soon.
Austin

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 03 Mar 2016 21:00

AdAstra wrote:
Also: I borrowed a camera so videos will be a thing soon.
This is exciting.

Your drilling seems to be spot on, not pushing to the MAX, but pushing. Knowing boundaries is great. Get that good food in ya. Though, there are a few freestylers whose diets make me question life. Appreciating your progression, good sir.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 04 Mar 2016 06:35

Derek wrote:
This is exciting.

Your drilling seems to be spot on, not pushing to the MAX, but pushing. Knowing boundaries is great. Get that good food in ya. Though, there are a few freestylers whose diets make me question life. Appreciating your progression, good sir.

@Derek - Thank you; means a lot! I'm trying really hard to be tiltless by summer. Just a few things that need to come together!
Austin

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 04 Mar 2016 08:43

Hey dude, never really posted much here / if ever so hi. I get that feeling sometimes in my legs, it's weirdskiez. I definitely feel more energized to shred after I eat a balanced meal, nutrition n steez is cool sometimes for sure. You got some neat stuff going on, and a camera to film it? Tell you what, since I need to post more footage in my own blog, whenever one of us posts a vid of shred the other one has to at their own convenience too. Sound Gucci? Keep the shred up.
Last edited by DC Clinks on 16 Mar 2016 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
-Daniel C. NY, USA. "Sacrifice a goat to our Lord and Savior Evan Gatesman".

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 04 Mar 2016 09:00

DC Clinks wrote:Hey dude, never really posted much here / if ever so hi. I get that feeling sometimes in my legs, it's weirdskiez. I definitely feel more energized to shred after I eat a balanced meal, nutrition n steez is cool sometimes for sure. You got some neat stuff going on, and a camera to filmz it? Tell you what, since I need to post more footage (haha) in my own blog, whenever one of us posts a vid of shred the other one has to at their own convenience too. Sound Gucci? Keep the shred up.
Yeah I'm game. Doing a senior thesis this year so I might be slow to match the video but I'll do my best.
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 05 Mar 2016 14:46

5 March 2016

Had a decent practice today. Tested out the camera by filming a new trick. Hit it on the second try. I am told it is a paradox mirage. Here it is:
Other than that my practice consisted of creating strings out of flip side clipper delays in order to gain better control. Fundamentals and flipside dexes were also practiced. I'll be silent for the next three days as I have to complete a lab report and study for the big test, but afterwards its an easy week leading into spring break. I will definitely get some quality shred time!

Edit:

With inspiration from DC Clinks, here's some music I've been listening to during shred, and one more random one that's in my head.
and randomly because of the Blue Mountain State movie:
Austin

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 05 Mar 2016 19:09

Pdx Mirage indeed.
Paradox- Because the starting clipper leg was also the leg that dexed the bag. It's not quite that straightforward but it starts to make sense once you learn a few dozen moves.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 06 Mar 2016 18:59

AdAstra wrote:Other than that my practice consisted of creating strings out of flip side clipper delays in order to gain better control. Fundamentals and flipside dexes were also practiced.
You keep pushing yourself out of your comfort zone like this and your game will learn to have no limit.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 08 Mar 2016 17:13

8 March 2016

Nick- thanks! I definitely plan to keep pushing.

I feel like a nailed the big quantum test today so I'm pretty stoked. (Actual quantum not the Footbag quantum :P ). Now for some Footbag.

So today I worked on:

- hitting flipside paradox mirage. I foot it every time but it seems my dexing leg can't plant quick enough out of that motion. It just doesn't flow as well from this side. Nonetheless I kept at it to improve until it started to feel uncomfortable so I quit for the day. It's always the same spot that gets uncomfortable/hurts which is concerning but it hasn't been a problem recently since I'm careful. I think I ended up hitting flipside.

- worked on flipside clipper sets to control exactly where I want the bag. Wasn't really feeling it today.

- ss clipper drill on flipside.

- drilled strings but with a twist: I had to start each string out with an ATW, Orbit, and Clipper on flipside before I did anything else. Really forced my self to be both sided here. I honestly dropped early on a lot of them but that's expected. Flipside is getting better though, especially the dexes! (Great drill since it makes you link flipside moves and you also get xbd and dex practice all in one)

- also: I worked on setting the bag from a clipper with an uptime support leg dex. Didn't hit anything out of it but still cool. What is this?
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 11 Mar 2016 14:20

11 March 2016

Spring break! Shred time! 8)

Today I worked on:

-toe op toe
-flipside ATW,Orbit,Legover
-flipside clipper

Shout out to Nick for diagnosing my flipside clipper problem! Thank you! Already tied my PR for ss clipper with your tip. Here comes some growth.

Note to self: land on support leg with clipper delay to cushion the impact.
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 13 Mar 2016 12:29

13 March 2016

Rainy day today so practiced in my parents basement while visiting.

I drilled:
-flipside clipper (my right calf muscle is really feeling it thanks to Nick's tip.)
-flipside ATW, orbit, pickup and legover. I think my strong side on pickup has switched. Also hit legover op legover for six total legovers. First time doing that thanks to my improved flipside!
-ss flipside clipper. My sets are getting better and more consistent.
-clipper op clipper. Much more control now. 6 total clean delays was my best (PR) but my average was much higher than before.

I've successfully done a stepping set on both sides now, no actual moves out of it though.

Also hit my first reverse swirl in an actual string.

Request: Is Swirling Stepping ss Butterfly a thing?
Austin

AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post by AdAstra » 15 Mar 2016 11:41

15 March 2016

Really rough practice today. Was still feeling it from my practice two days ago. Muscles feeling stronger though!

Today I drilled:

- toe op toe
- clipper op clipper (new PR 10x clean stalls)
- ss clipper flipside
- strings

Hit a string with pdx mirage:
pdx mirage > clipper > far pickup.

Also started the motions for learning whirl. (Pretty sure that's what it's called when you do clipper set with support leg dex back to clipper, but not clipper ss butterfly if that makes sense?)
Austin

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 16 Mar 2016 22:06

I been there yo. Soreness sucks but I think you can work through it without enough warming up and stretching/resting after the fact. Glad to hear ya muscles getting stronger though, I been going through a similar process where calves and quads are just turning into steel. Not super muscular or anything but toned AF.

Props on the Clipper Op Clip drill in particular, good level of consistency needed fo' dat. Whirl dex is front to back if that's what you mean. Anz has got a nice tutorial on it here.
-Daniel C. NY, USA. "Sacrifice a goat to our Lord and Savior Evan Gatesman".