Starting over

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
cammel
Fearless

Re: Starting over

Post by cammel » 17 Apr 2021 18:35

Another bit of a break, this time for moving. My 160 sq ft studio was nice for a while, but my partner will be moving up rom LA soon, and we've been looking for a bigger place for us. Found one in Oakland that had a bit of a backyard and I decided to get it. The backyard was just grass, but the landlord was ok with me putting down some pavers to make a little patio (I said for a table and chairs, which I have, but of course the main reason was for footbag, haha).

It was a bit of a project, took out some grass, smashed the dirt down with a tamper, spread sand and put the pavers down. Definitely an amateur job, and not perfectly flat, but seems like it works. Had my first footbag session on it today and really enjoyed being outside, and being able to do symposium tricks without my upstairs landlord getting pissed! Excited about this space, hopefully there will be more frequent footbag updates to come!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 17 Apr 2021 20:48

Great video! That was quite the project. Plus you shredded on the same day?! Crazy.

Those were some of the deepest reapers I have seen, nice work! Your style is coming (back) nicely!
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 18 Apr 2021 11:28

Thanks! Yea, its weird about reapers, those are easier for me than toe set double switchover, which seems wrong. I think my problem is that I can't move my feet fast enough when I have to switch plant feet for a DSO, but with reapers I don't have to worry about that. Want to practice DSOs more (and Delusions!)
Tjuggles wrote:
17 Apr 2021 20:48
Plus you shredded on the same day?!
Haha, no, I had to take a few days between putting down the pavers and that first footbagging session. I was really sore.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 21 Apr 2021 04:49

160 sqft?? Is that even legal? Wow!
Hey, it was neat to see the construction of your shred space! That was fun!
The muted stepping clipper drill looked amaaazing! Such control! I don't think I could do that. Those whisks too looked great!

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 21 Apr 2021 10:22

Muffinman wrote:
21 Apr 2021 04:49
160 sqft?? Is that even legal? Wow!
Hah, yea, not only is it legal, but I had the pleasure of paying $1,100 a month for the space. A really great housing market we have here in the Bay Area... :roll:
Muffinman wrote:
Hey, it was neat to see the construction of your shred space! That was fun!
Nice! yea, I figured if I was going to do it I might as well set up my phone and try to get a time lapse.
Muffinman wrote:
Those whisks too looked great!
Haha, thanks, love the name (had to search modified to see what you were referring too!). Once I found it I should have been able to guess :lol:. I'll start using that. Blurry whisk sounds a lot better than backside bedwetter.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 24 Apr 2021 20:17

The pavers I put down are too rough, they really tear up footbag material (and probably doesn’t help my bag is extra heavy). Those factors together means the new bag already got a hole in one of the panels. Boo! I’m probably going to put down some foam pads, also should be better on my knees. Annoying about the bag, but got a little stuff filmed.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 28 Apr 2021 10:19

Great shred as always. The barflies look so tight and clean! And the eggbeaters look way too easy -- super jealous!
Rather than foam pieces you might prefer outdoor door mats with a thick rubber base. Then you get the give of foam (with better support), the grip of carpet, and a good weight that will prevent them from blowing away. I've tried both solutions outdoors and loved my door mats. I duct taped them together on the underside so they stayed together as a single mat.

cammel
Fearless

Why dont we like uptime as much as downtime?

Post by cammel » 29 Apr 2021 08:23

Thanks for the recommendation on the mats! I've already got a couple of those big foam puzzle piece things, so I'll try them out and see how they do whenever I get them from my old place.

Footbag got cancelled on account of rain. Got a couple half decent runs before the end, happy with getting a bit more consistent with gyro clippers and osis. Worked on reverse whirls some, could only get half of rev whirl > butterfly rpt, but got it on both sides, so should be able to do that soon.

Curious if the few readers left on here could comment about why they think freestyle footbag is so biased towards downtime components. Toe set drifter is way more common than nuclear toe stall. DLO is super common, but when was the last time you saw a sailing clipper? Lots of motions, not a lot of sidewinding clippers. Somehow runs with dense complex sets and bails to toe/clipper just feel wrong and I don't really understand why.

Do you think complex uptime components are inherently harder than their similar downtime components and thats why we're like this, or is this just about what we find stylistically appropriate and therefore thats what we practice and execute? We seem to push ourselves on the downtime components, then are a little off balance so there are no adds in the uptime components of the next move, and we just use that uptime to regain balance and composure for the next downtime. We could just as easily see downtime as the time to regain composure and get a very careful stall to then hit a massive double dex set.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 30 Apr 2021 13:49

Your shred spot is looking great. Not sure on the answer to your question, but it's a good question. I guess like you said, for a lot of us, we can barely hit anything out of the double dex sets. Something to think on.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 04 May 2021 22:31

Worked some today on atomic and quantum sets. Some highlights
Atom smasher B2B
Fairy ss DLO B2B
Drifter>Dyno BS
Pdx Egg>tripwalk BS
Nice run footing tripwalk BSOS

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 16 May 2021 21:38

Made a new bag, testing a new pattern. Seems pretty good, had a session with it today. A few highlights:
Pdx mirage > drifter BS. Toe drifters are hard for me.
Spinning mirage > atom smasher BS
Ripwalk > sidewalk > rpt
Toe DSO BSOS. Hard for me from toe.
Near DSO BSOS
Reaper BSOS
Pdx miraging flail BS. Tried to get this clean, really easy to the..
Janiwalker BS. Flip furious set isn’t great
Sumo BS. First time with flip nuke getting any height
Stomping Pdx Eggbeater BS. Hitting this just made me laugh, something about stomping is so ridiculous.
Torque>infinity>torque. First time hitting both torques in a string. Torques are so hard for me.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 17 May 2021 15:04

You are getting good height on the stepping sets, how about some ripped warriors etc. Looks like you are making great improvements. Really liked the DSOs too. Glad you ae getting great use of that shred space you have built yourself, I reckon that must be quite satisfying.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 17 May 2021 19:38

boyle wrote:
17 May 2021 15:04
You are getting good height on the stepping sets, how about some ripped warriors etc. Looks like you are making great improvements. Really liked the DSOs too. Glad you ae getting great use of that shred space you have built yourself, I reckon that must be quite satisfying.
Thanks! Yea, I really like the space. Pretty small, not terribly flat, but private and right outside my back door. Thanks for the recommendation also, worked on some stepping ducking today. Some highlights:
Ripped warrior BS
Alpine blur BS
Ripwalk>blender BS (almost BSOS argggg)
Pdx blender BS

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 19 May 2021 18:27

Set day.

Two goals today, drill sets that I'm comfortable with, and try to hit new sets. I think that I have trouble drilling sets well because I always feel like I need to add a downtime component to drill, and I'm not consistent enough to be able to do that, so I end up not actually drilling sets repeatedly. So I did alternating feet for pixie, fairy, atomic, quantum and stepping with no downtime component.

Pixie same toe > pixie op toe > rpt: 12 contacts
Fairy same toe > fairy op toe > rpt: 8 contacts
Atomic toe > tapping toe > rpt: 4 contacts
Quantum toe > slapping toe > rpt: 4 contacts
Stepping clipper > blurry clipper > rpt: 11 contacts

Not great, not terrible. Should do these drills at least once a week I think.

New sets was more fun (new stuff always is for me). For some reason I kinda feel like I've hit a set once I have hit op mirage out of it. Just sorta seems like the default trick, sometimes it takes the name of the set like blurry/blur, furious/fury, blazing/blaze. So I tried to hit new things into mirage. First times:

Pogo mirage (frontside blur) - BS
Blazing mirage (blaze) - BS
Wonton mirage (frontside toe blur) - BS
Flailing mirage (frontside atom smasher) - BS
Flaring mirage (flare?) - strong side only :( close on weak
Sailing Mirage (dominatrix) - strong side only, not even close on weak
A few other off my toe, but only strong side

A few random thoughts:
1) Pogo, blazing and and flaring were actually a lot more fun than I expected them to be.
2) Wonton and flailing were a lot harder than I thought they would be
3) The easiest place to see a huge difference between my flip and weak toe set is when I try to add dexes after the first set. I think I could hit sailing, frantic, fusing mirage on my strong side in another session without too much work. But those on weak side are completely out of the question because of how much effort I have to put into my weak side pixie/fairy.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 25 May 2021 07:52

Love how systematic your training is -- all of these sets to just toe stall. Now I want to use that to relearn my pixies! Pogo near clipper is so weird looking -- I love it! Also, your bulleted highlights are insane! Great, unique tricks!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 25 May 2021 19:05

Good one is to also do similar, just to hand catch (listen to what I say, not what I do haha), helps with the set height. Like Erik said, some of your highlights are really stepping up the difficulty.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 04 Jun 2021 15:22

Thanks guys!

Got an entry in for TSG18, managed to get one from each of the five advanced requests. Fun to be involved in a footbag online event again after all these years. Doesn't seem like there are many posts on youtube, I cant find any in the advanced category? Maybe there are more people posting on instagram/twitter?

Torque>Pdx Whirl
Ducking Pdx Mirage>Tripwalk
Blender>PS Mirage
Blaze>Paradon
Blurry Whirl>Far Motion

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 05 Jun 2021 13:10

A lot of the Japanese players post on Twitter. A few people were putting entries up on Instagram too.

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 12 Jun 2021 14:18

Muffinman wrote:
25 May 2021 07:52
Love how systematic your training is -- all of these sets to just toe stall. Now I want to use that to relearn my pixies! Pogo near clipper is so weird looking -- I love it! Also, your bulleted highlights are insane! Great, unique tricks!
boyle wrote:
25 May 2021 19:05
Good one is to also do similar, just to hand catch (listen to what I say, not what I do haha), helps with the set height. Like Erik said, some of your highlights are really stepping up the difficulty.
Thanks! Yea, I'll try to have another set day, and for the ones I still have a lot of trouble with like nuclear, blazing, etc it would be good to just drill them to hand catch.
boyle wrote:
05 Jun 2021 13:10
A lot of the Japanese players post on Twitter. A few people were putting entries up on Instagram too.
Ah, that makes sense. I the live stream went for two hours or so, so looks like they had a good turnout! Unfortunately the footbag videos didn't really stream very well it seemed, so I didn't end up watching much of it. It was fun to have some challenges like that to work on.

That last session for TSG was not really what I try to do, was just spending a lot of time to hit something on one side. Tried today to just go for longer strings motivated by what I read on Erik's blog about 20x20 sessions. I didn't even get close, haha. I maybe could have done it if I had tried to just go for mostly 2 adds with some 3s, but that wasn't super fun, so.. I had more like a 10x15 session or something like that. But it felt good, I didn't really have any plans going in, just tried to make up things as I went. Had a few nice strings like fairy butterfly > ripwalk > pdx whirl > pdx DLO > fairy butterfly > ripwalk > drop on strong pdx whirl.

I think the biggest thing I need to do is take longer breaks between strings. I definitely thing that is the biggest problem with having short runs is I'll only take 20 second breathers and then go back at it. Need to get better about just stopping and sitting for 1-2 minutes and I think my string length will improve a lot. Some of the highlights:

cammel
Fearless

Downtime’s for suckers

Post by cammel » 18 Jun 2021 20:29

More working on sets. Been trying to have sessions where I have no downtime components at all, just toes and clippers. It messes with my head a bit trying to have runs that are only sets, but I think it’s good, makes it feel more natural to have set dense runs. A couple of drills I felt good about in the video:

Stepping toe > quantum toe > fairy clipper > rpt
Stepping toe > atomic toe > fairy clipper > rpt
Stepping toe > quantum toe > pixie clipper > rpt
Stepping toe > atomic toe > pixie clipper > rpt
Nuclear toe > quantum toe > fairy clipper > rpt

Nuclear same clipper BS, real hard for me on weak side to shift back for the clipper.