North Carolina Shred - BigDirtyFoot

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

North Carolina Shred - BigDirtyFoot

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 26 Jun 2004 13:38

June 26th 2004,

Well, I'm coming off yet another surgery, so I actually haven't played since the WV Jam. So I guess I'll just discuss my surgery backgrounds so everyone knows that about me.

Last July 19th I tore my ACL in my left knee. I was really worried it would affect my senior year as a leader in Marching Band at my high school, but my doctor gave me an okay and so I marched the season without an ACL. It was VERY painful and at times I was about to quit. But I stuck through it all and I'm proud of it. As far as footbag goes, I didn't play footbag from July 2003 until March 2004. I had my ACL Reconstruction Surgery December 18th 2003. But I'm still at risk for retearing my ACL so my doctors tell me not to go all out until July 19th 2004. That's the date that I'll be fully healed again. So that's that for my knees, heh.

So... yesterday (June 25th, 2004) I got my wisdom teeth removed, and so I'm definitely not going to play now for a while... but I've been dreaming about shredding and such. I'm at this point right now though that I have been so busy with the development of my Jazz Career and minor construction work that I haven't had time to shred for a few weeks. Trying to basically keep my interest up - thank goodness for videos. Anyways that's it for me for right now I suppose.
Last edited by bigdirtyfoot on 14 Nov 2006 14:59, edited 14 times in total.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 02 Jul 2004 12:53

July 2nd, 2004:

So I think I may start playing footbag again next week. I haven't played since the WV Jam. I really want to get Champions League, but I'm waiting on news about it. More later when I shred.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 04 Jul 2004 16:26

July 4th, 2004:

My friend Rabbit made me this awesome avatar! Which started me thinking about shredding... then Luke IMed me and was like "Wanna shred?" and I was like "Sure but I can't leave the house because my family's celebrating the 4th." So we had a shred session "together" at our respective houses and reported progress when we got back.

I am SO out of shape. I'm gonna start my sit ups and push ups tomorrow. I also need to start my Acne Treatment... I have all these things I need to start to better myself so I'll be awesome at college at everything. Most important is Jazz, and I practiced trombone 1 1/2 hours today... my second day practicing after my Wisdom Teeth Removal. That was really productive.

But anyways, so footbag.

I didn't really school much... just wanted to see what level I'm at after not playing for a month. And wow, I suck. I can hit most of my moves, but I drop them more consecutively than hit them. I lean over too much so I'm working on that. And I'm gonna put clippers in my fuckin' game, so I'm schooling those. Because I never hit clipper stuff much before. So that's me for now. But at least I played! Me and Luke are gonna try to get together and shred tomorrow.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 23 Jul 2004 16:13

Well, I played again today... but I suck, partially because I was playing in baggy khakis... I thought that they'd work, because I can move my legs in them. But they turned out to be too baggy. So that was a complete drag.

I did get my goal of hitting 5 tiltless after not having played for a long time, so I guess that was good. I still gotta start those situps and pushups again. Work is killing me. I'm tired all the time. Don't have time to shred, or to practice trombone. :(
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 23 Jul 2004 16:16

Oh, and I guess my good news is that I finally am fully healed from my ACL Surgery! :)... it's been a whole year since I tore that damn thing. Time to tackle the world!
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 24 Jul 2004 14:19

Yeah so let's see... now that I'm covered in sweat. Today was a good day to play. It was cool out side and there was a light breeze. Little humidity... the humidity here is what gets to me. I can deal with heat, but humidity makes me feel like I'm about to pass out.

So I was doing better today. I worked some basic stuff... I have a relatively decent right clipper now, but my left clipper is horrid... I think I figured out why though. After my surgery on that leg I realized I had a hard, hard time twisting it enough to stall it. So now that I'm "fully healed" I have to get used to how weird it feels. So I guess I'll be working on that. I'm just basically trying to get tiltless again.

My right clipper felt strong enough to try some *new* moves... so I went for paradox drifter (I feel like it would be easier for me now than regular drifters) and barrage. Came sort of close to both, and that gave me some hope. But I'd rather be comfortably tiltless than have lots of show-off moves. And I want to be both-sided enough to feel like I have the same level pixie set and stuff like that, on both sides.

So that was today. It was kind of fun, but then again sometimes I feel like just quitting altogether. A part of me doesn't want to risk the injuries again.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 26 Jul 2004 10:16

Man, I feel like I need to play right now so bad... just so stressed and tense and paranoid. I need to go home, put on shorts and grab a bag and go outside and chill out, because I'm about to have a damn nervous breakdown. (I'm at work.) So to help me plan for that here's my list of goals:

-Work on DLO... just trying to hit it from clipper, I've never hit it.
-Try to get longer than 5 tiltless. Heh. I know it's easy but I'm just not doing it lately.
-Hit a 3>3>3 combo, no matter how cheap it is... I need a damn ego boost for this game like crazy.
-Attempt barrage a few times, just like DLO.
-Try to re-hit PLO... hoping that wasn't a one-time occurance!

So yeah I guess that's my list of goals for today. I'm really hoping I can play at ALL. I need to practice my horn too. That comes before footbag anyways. I've got that audition in late August and I need to nail it. God I am so stressed.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 26 Jul 2004 12:40

i did a dubble leg over last night, and didnt kno what it was so a friend on i meet from here on aim told me it was a DLO there hard as hell man, cant belive i did a few it shale be a while till i got them down good, as for all the above really to sorry to hear your trubles i hope noting else happeneds that knee of yours ? was it coused from shreding?

if so maybe they should start to put warning labbles in with bags :wink:

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 26 Jul 2004 14:23

Alright so out of my goals I hit:

-5+ tiltless... wasn't even really a problem. Twas the mindset.
-FOOTED PLO but that doesn't count, and so that sucks
-Nowhere near 3>3>3 ... was too tired
-For the first time ever hit a non-planted Pdx Mirage. Felt awesome and powerful.

That's about it. It was pretty good. I'm glad I did it. Now to play some jazz.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 05 Aug 2004 15:06

Played again tonight.

I'm working on whirls, and having a really hard time even dexing the bag. I think part of it is because I'm dexing with my previously-injured leg, but I think it's helping to stretch it out some just trying it over and over again. I also came close to Paradox Illusion a few times. I lost dimwalk. I can't hit it anymore. Or at least couldn't today.

I had a decent run or two...

Mirage>Pixie (Repeat)
Far Legover>Smear>Clipper>Mirage

And I found out I can duck from my right clipper pretty easily. But I can't get anything but a ducking toe stall.

I schooled Pdx Mirages some, taking out the plant. And far legovers. I think there's still a plant in those.

My left clipper isn't getting any work though. This is all my right clipper. My left clipper is so weak and I don't even have a decent right clipper game yet so I'm working on that, which is stupid, but oh well.

And... I'm off to go see a concert and eat dinner with some friends.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 08 Aug 2004 16:21

Man tonight was phat.

I said fuck it and just went for long runs, and schooled some basic stuff... among the highlights were:

Many pixies back to back (I don't know how many... probably like 7 but eh)
Pickup>Legover>Mirage>Clipper>Far Legover>Smear>Mirage>Drop !!!
Smear>Butterfly>Far Legover (Like first try, haha)
Pickup>Pickup !!! (I'd never done it and it took a while to get... once I get this better, I'll go for Legover>Legover)

I wanna hit 4 3's. But before that I think I'll just work on longer tiltless runs.

I felt like the mini I have broke in some more... I mostly used that... so that means my stalls should be getting kinda better.

Just for fun I've been attempting Frenzy (Frantic Mirage) and I'd really love to hit that because I think it's kinda unique.

Anyways, tonight was fun. Water is awesome.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 10 Aug 2004 12:15

zachatree wrote:i did a dubble leg over last night, and didnt kno what it was so a friend on i meet from here on aim told me it was a DLO there hard as hell man, cant belive i did a few it shale be a while till i got them down good, as for all the above really to sorry to hear your trubles i hope noting else happeneds that knee of yours ? was it coused from shreding?

if so maybe they should start to put warning labbles in with bags :wink:
Haha... naw they don't need to put warning lables on bags. I was skateboarding at 2:30 AM and fell down a HUGE hill. That's cool that you got DLO. I'm still far from it. Oh well.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 17 Aug 2004 16:32

So I played today. Note the use of the word "played" and not "practiced" or "skooled."

Highlights include... hitting paste again and sealing it. Working my flip clipper into some runs for the first time ever. But it still sucks completely. And... mirage>symp mirage.

I can't wait for my lonn bag. She's sending it Friday.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 09 Mar 2005 13:53

Yeah I played again today, after like a year or so. Hit a few cool things. I'm hoping to get back into this some to get into a little bit better of shape, but I can't let it interfere with my music as much as I did before. Anyways, that's about it.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 11 Mar 2005 00:31

Well... my fraternity brother Chris and I have been playing footbag for a few days now... it's been too cold for shorts (which sucks) but I've hit a few moves. I want to focus on longer strings and getting my tilts back, because let's face it, I didn't play hardcore since I went to the WV Jam and got intimidated/depressed. I want to get back into it. I really do. I miss it. My goal is to be able to use basic moves like mirage, pixies, atws, clippers, etc... in a run but I want both sides... my left leg is messed up from my ACL problems, but I want to get over that. Anyways... so that's what's up.

I miss this forum too.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

lightningbolt
Nothing Vulgar

Post by lightningbolt » 11 Mar 2005 01:09

Welcome back!:D

I'm gald your picking up footbag again. I was wondering what happened to you.....
I think I going to take over Canada. You should help.
Get Firefox!

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 20 Mar 2005 12:58

So yeah...

I played again and drilled clippers for a while. I guess it was weird playing by myself after almost a year. I've played with friends, but that's just different because it's mostly "hacking." But I hit a few tiltless runs. None of them went over five moves. I want to get a 10 move tiltless run because then I'd be almost back up to speed. I always sucked at footbag but I enjoyed it, and I miss it. Plus I never even broke in my 32s that I had. So I figure I'm wasting money if I don't play. I've gotten a few friends into it. We might hit up a jam or a tourney sometime, but we all pretty much suck. Oh well. Um... I can still hit moves like smear and paste, and ducking dragonfly (every once and a while). That's all my friends want me to hit. Like, "Hit that phat move blah blah blah" and I'm just like "Damnit I want to hit strings." But at least I'm playing again.

I've been watching some of the latest footage and I feel so behind and I just get depressed because I know I'll never catch up to that. But I'm way out of shape and I just want to play for fun so I think I'm going to give it a shot again.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

B_Man
Flower Child

Post by B_Man » 21 Mar 2005 00:07

It's good to see you around David :D

Playing for fun is what it is all about man. Don't get discouraged by Mr. Clavens hitting Nemesis or Jordan tearing it up. Instead, be glad that you are part of a community as open as any could be. No one here is judging you by your skill!

Take care and take it easy :)

~ Byrin Wylie
- Byrin Wylie

ShrEdmonton

HooD
HoodluM

Post by HooD » 21 Mar 2005 00:40

Well said Byrin, well said. Just keep kicking, & you'll only improve. I hope to see you again at the next WV event. Just wondering, I remember you drove an incredible length just to shred with us for a bit, what was that all about !? Was there family this way, or something else, or are you just a hardcore footbag lovin guy that drove waay to many hours just to play for waay to little hours ?
More C4 please <3

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 21 Mar 2005 17:20

Yo did Clavens really hit nemesis? If so, that's awesome!

Yeah John, me and Gabe (my pal who mostly filmed) just drove up there. No family or anything. We drove about 8 or 10 hours there, if I remember correctly. Anyways, more updates later I suppose - I didn't get to play today, my friend Chris and I were just feeling too down to play.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.