Muffinman

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 03 Sep 2004 22:11

I went out to film Andrew, Josh and Andrew's prodigy, Mike, tonight. I ended up playing WAY more than I expected to. I was planning to play maybe 15 minutes of stalls and some minor 2 add stuff. I ended up playing probably at least half an hour in total with lots of threes and even a few 4s and 5s. I hit mobius and spinning whirl. I haven't really hurt from it yet, though I kind of expect to in the morning. I'm feeling okay and icing as I sit here. I feel a bit strained but only a little, really. My muscles just feel a lot more tense than normal when I do my stretching.

I also finally got my own copy of Champion's League and Raw Shred in the mail today (thanks Eric!). I haven't watched my copy of Champion's League since I had Andrew's until today and have watched it to death!! Raw Shred is pretty damn sick!!! 1996...Kenny Schults busts BLURRY WHIRLING SWIRL (to spinning osis!)!!!!!!! He also hit downtime whirling reverse twirl(?) Like a whirling swirl bailed to osis. There are some players I don't recognize but feel I should! Some guy with a mohawk hit flurry beesauce!!! (In 96!!!!!) Someone else hit whirling swirl beesauce (may have been the same guy) and I'm pretty sure someone other than Kenny hit toe whirling swirl! Someone hit blurriest > far swirl. Someone hit paradon swirl (i forget who...) There's some really sick stuff on here once you get over how old everything is..... :p It's really neat watching Ahren and Daryl hitting so many butterflies and pdx mirages :)

Anyway -- I'm going to do my exercises (I only managed to do half of my midday routine since I woke up late and was at the Forks without my heavy boots.) and get some sleep. Hopefully I won't be sore tomorrow and I can skool harder :) I have a feeling I will be completetly back in, like, a month or so if I can keep up with the exercises!

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 03 Sep 2004 22:18

erik, one day, or rather over a period of days, you'll ahve to lend me you entire video collection!
A.G.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 03 Sep 2004 22:37

Andrew has been wanting to organize a shred video marathon -- he recently picked up a projector! We were going to have a training camp at his cabin but I don't know if that will still happen this summer.

Here's a list of the videos I own:
1) Worlds 99
2) Reeses Pieces
3) Footage
4) Sessions
5) Bust Out Now
6) Freestyle Fantasy
7) Tricks of the Trade 1
8) Tricks of the Trade 2
9) Aggressive Grounds
10) The Sickening
11) Where The Ripwalk Ends
12) The Lion's Den
13) Vortex
14) Balance of Power
15) CIC Shred
16) Brian versus Dan
17) The Next Level
18) Time 2 Jam
19) Fo Shizza
20) True Playaz
21) Just Shred
22) Just Shred 2
23) Whirled Shred
24) Buda's Best
25) The Move (DVD)
26) Sick 03 (DVD)
27) Champion's League (DVD)
28) Raw Shred
29) Overground

(not including the 25-CD library of footage off the internet and my Hackrifice collections!)

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 08 Sep 2004 01:52

I was just reading some footblogs. I never really read them before unless someone pointed me to a good one. I've come to the conclusion that they are all good.

It is 4:47 in the morning and I am leaving for school in about 4.5 hours. I've decided to take some of those free sessions on how to write good papers, how to do good research and...I forget the other one. I never took them first year because I didn't give a shit about school. Having a really intelligent girlfriend changes your perspective on everything (I also care about my health now!)

Anyway -- that first paragraph was basically all I was driving at for this post. Aaron O's blog was SUUUPER nice to read. I hope he's doing well. Hearing about the different places he's stopped at and shredding on the ship is just really neat (I'm ignorant as to why he's actually there -- I don't know much about the Navy, or whatever it is he's in). Ken's blog was fun. I read some of Stephen Barne's, too. Good stuff!

Did I mention how hungry I am? And how pretty my girlfriend is??

EDIT: HEY -- the edit button works now!! (Or maybe it's just because I'm a mod? Anyway -- I just wanted to mention the reason I'm still awake is because I couldn't sleep so I got up and drew out my school schedule and colour coded it in pinks and purples!!! SWEET!)

Maraxus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Maraxus » 08 Sep 2004 08:16

holy shit erik chan reads my blog
bodybuilda

canadian girl
Shredalicious

awww sweety!!

Post by canadian girl » 09 Sep 2004 19:10

Awwww, honey, that was so sweet. It made me smile all the way over here in Toronto. Yes, by the way, I now am going to the U of T.

And, I have to say, Erik Chan is the sweetest person any of you will ever meet. Thanks sweetheart, I love you.

Talk to you later!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 18 Sep 2004 00:12

nnAaawwwwww. I'm so lucky.

I'm eating a can of pears at 3 in the morning.
I played today with my brother. He was trying to duck his atomic sets. I push bothsidedness on him. He is probably more bothsided than I. i don't remember if he's ever hit flip atom smasher but he toed it a bunch of times in a row. He also hit flip tap on command after I told him to point in his knee and thrust his leg upward faster than the bag. It was cool. He's hit tap beesauce before, though. I remember him trying dimwalk > ps mirage for a 4 > 4 combo and he was trying it evenly on both sides -- very cool. The mosquitos were horrid!

I played completely guiltless after about 5 minutes of slow warm up. It was really weak guiltless (basically just bails) but it felt like such an accomplishment. I didn't hurt at all (I was pretty careful at first, though) and I didn't hurt later. I did some 10-some contact runs with just butterflies, osis' ducking clippers, diving clippers, and spinning and gyro clippers. It was really fun. I never really got around to taking the time to rework my 2s. I think they just hurt more than 3 add bails, though. I have a higher impact on illusions than on butterflies and definately osis'. Illusions was all I really wanted to skool. That and this silly thing I do with my right leg on pickups and atws.

My osis' are getting a lot more bothsided ever since Derek gave me a really good tip at a session where I basically just filmed. He told me to aim for the sweet spot on my inside. I kept stalling on my heel (my flip ankle doesn't bend very well...yet). He also told me to wait and watch until just before the bag hits my foot and to not pull my foot but to wait and just twist my head and my foot will flatten itself.

Anyway, god I'm tired. I've been dead tired since 9 tonight (7 hours ago??) and I have to wake up early tomorrow to get some work done for a research project in my painting class at the library (thanks to my Honey for helping me on the phone with that!! It helped alleviate(?) a lot of stress!! -- My girlfriend is REALLY REALLY smart!!!)

EDIT: Oh yeah I had my first massage ever today!! The place I go for athletic therapy was having a discount for this month and I am already covered 80% for massage under my dad's insurance so an hour of massage cost me $8!!!! I have another appointment for next friday. It's so awesome. The hour just seemed to keep going and going forever!!!!

Oh yeah, and I beat my osis record a week or two ago while waiting for Andrew to pick me up for a session (I think? Maybe not...) I hit 15. I know it's pretty weak, but osis has always been REALLY REALLY hard for me and that made me really happy. It's something I've been trying to skool every time I play now so I have them as consistant bails once I can actually play again. I think I will be back really soon if today didn't bother me. I will play tomorrow a bit, too. I can't wait. I hope my brother actually gets into it again. I went to my girlfriend's house today to pick up the lavers. She loved wearing them but left them when she moved and my brother never asked for them to play in......I lost my train of thought. I'm going to go to bed now.

PEARS!

EDIT 2: Gah! I also forgot to mention that I talked to Taras just prior to the tournament!! Taras was the one who introduced Derek to footbag. He was an amazing teacher. He always said this about himself, "I know how to hit things I just can't actually hit them." Something like that? I'm really tired. But you get what I mean. He was sooo good at explaining things. I learned atomic from scratch within 30 minutes in my grandma's garage from Taras standing there and telling me what to do. He could have been good, I think his problem was that he got really discouraged really easily and tried to progress faster than he could (went straight into guiltlessness before he should have). I don't know. It was really exciting to talk to him, though. He said he would try to make the final day of the tournament but never showed. I will call him tomorrow, perhaps, and see what's up. He's been really busy with his Ukranian dancing, though. And he injured his back really badly. Anyway, enough!

PPS: My cellphone SUCKS!!!
PPPS: something something something

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 18 Sep 2004 14:17

Crappy quality AND messed-up widescreen! Yay!
This is from today. I played for over half an hour, I think!!! I probably played a BIT too much, but I feel fine. Anyway, I just threw together a few clips because I don't want to bore anyone with my bail runs. I'm really excited that I can almost play again, though!!!
http://www.hackrifice.com/marita/chan-recovering.wmv

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 18 Sep 2004 14:20

i really liked that chan. i think your style is a lot smoother for some reason. you look really relaxed and chilled, i like it. i hope you can start doing all your nifty shuffle and stuff soon.

props.
david

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 20 Sep 2004 18:24

Thanks David!!
Here's a clip from tonight. I'm not bored with butterflies and ducking and spinning clippers, but I knew it would make a boring video, so I tried to hit something that I don't usually put in runs. Nothing big.
http://www.hackrifice.com/marita/chan-recovering02.wmv

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 21 Sep 2004 07:16

i <3 rev swirl. glad to see you're back in the game, Erik.

m
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 24 Sep 2004 16:07

Completely unrelated to Matt's last post:
http://www.hackrifice.com/marita/chan-recovering03.wmv

It's kind of like a recovery video journal :)
Oh yeah, and Matt wanted me to say that the recording I have is, like, 3 years old and he thinks his voice is probably bad in it. I think it's great, though.
This is dedicated to my girlfriend.

Oh yeah, one last thing. I was going to flash "WEAK" over the screen at any point I tried to do an osis move, but I don't have photoshop installed since my reformat. I used microsoft paint for Matt's credits at the end! HA!

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 24 Sep 2004 16:27

im loveing these videos erik, they give me a dream.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 24 Sep 2004 16:34

ah man... anyone who watches this video, please go to my web site (www.mattcrossmusic.com) and listen to one of the tracks on there... This one isn't exactly... shall we say... "representative" ;) of what I'm trying to sound like now.

awesome video Erik. Mobii looked great. You'll be back in it in no time. Thanks a lot for using one of my songs.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

canadian girl
Shredalicious

Post by canadian girl » 24 Sep 2004 20:07

thanks honey. that was really nice.....I'll talk to you more about it later on the phone. but I wanted to say, thanks. i love that song, and you are really getting well again!!! Congratulations Erik!
Marita Obst

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 24 Sep 2004 21:16

I left out the best line of the song, "And this one's for you babe."
<3

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 24 Sep 2004 21:21

Ive been watching silently from the sidelines and I just wanted to mention that all this recovery stuff is really exciting for me to watch, way to go erik.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 24 Sep 2004 21:46

Oh yeah, thanks guys! It means a lot!

I realized that stepping doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would, and I haven't been waking up in pain lately, but I'm still pushing too hard I think and I should stretch and jog more. I see my athletic therapist for a final appointment next friday. Well, he said it will probably be the last appointment because he thinks it's just a matter of time and doing my exercises regularly (which I haven't been able to do with so much school work.....)

I'll be better soon. I said I would probably completely better within a month about a month ago. That's obviously not happening. But spring break in Saskatoon should be a blast!!!!! I can't wait to hit FIVE ADDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am craving blurry whirls and fogs (and I'm really scared of atomic moves now @______@)

B_Man
Flower Child

Post by B_Man » 24 Sep 2004 22:09

No Erik, the atomic sets are afraid of you! You own them! 8)

I agree with Tom, your recovery is like a light in the dark for a lot of us. By watching your recent videos, it seems as if you didn't lose any skill over the months that you've been away, which is incredible. You are still as slick and smooth as ever :)

And as a final note - you better do your exercises!! Hahahahaha!! Nah, take it easy and as slow as you need to Erik. But I do hope to see you busting huge in Saskatoon!! I told my mother about it when I took her out for lunch (soften her up a bit :wink: ) and she said "Well no one is stopping you from going!" :D :D :D :D !!!! So you can count me in on that jam for sure 8) !

Do you know of any details? How long it is, who will be there, etc? I'm dieing to know now (I've worked myself in a frenzy as soon as you brought up Saskatoon :oops: ). I can't wait :D
- Byrin Wylie

ShrEdmonton

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 25 Sep 2004 00:00

SWEET!
Yeah me too as it is, really (probably), going to be the only tournament I will be able to attend for the next, like, 4 years or so. Brett said it will be totally dependant on Hackrifice, since he said it is basically going to be a Hotsteppers/Hackrifice get together (not many freestylers in the prairies....)
We were looking into our reading week at UofM. Brett was convinced it is the same all around Canada, but I don't think it is. So that's a tentative date, probably. We will know closer towards then. I'm not even sure when our reading week is as I use a UofT daytimer.

I'm really tired.
I got my three sets of exercises in today for the first time, probably since school started. The last week has been, like, once a day. It's really harsh. hopefully I will get 3 in tomorrow and Sunday too.