Jeremy

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 23 Jun 2009 00:37

Just got back from another run. Felt a bit sore to begin with, but a lot more comfortable overall.

Distance; 5.5km
Time; 22:40
Pace; 4:07 min/km

Looking forward to getting that pace under 4.

Shoulder is feeling good :)

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 24 Jun 2009 17:46

So played touch fooball yesterday instead of running. Was a very late decision. Shoulder felt ok. I didn't dive at all and only made two touches for the entire game using my right arm (the injured side). We only had 2 girls, so were playing 5 vs 6. Then at half time one of our girls had to go, so then it was 4 vs 6. Then towards the end our last girl broke or badly sprained her ankle. Then we had to forfeit. This year we've had 3 girls seriously injure themselves - one broke an arm, one broke an ankle and now this. We've decided to disband our mixed team as we don't have enough girls to continue playing. Disaster. Needless to say we were getting flogged anyway, although I was happy with my game - scored 2 tries and assisted 2, which was all our tries. Lacking a tiny bit of pace and also heaps of aerobic fitness, although I can't stress how much hard work it is to play when you're short players in touch, especially when there are only 2 fitish players on your team.

Anyway I'm unsure whether I will join a different team or just have Wednesday's off sport. I'd probably prefer to keep playing I guess.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 27 Jun 2009 04:21

So just got back from a talent contest at the footy club. Epic.

When I arrived I was drinking water and one of the boys asked me if I was "getting on it." I said after my performance (footbag obviously), to which he announced the start of the night and that I was up first. So they gave me 10 minutes warm up (from being cold) and I did my routine with 3 drops, which was pretty well received.

At the end of the night (after about 6 beers and 2 joints) they had a audience vote for 1st and I came in the top two with my coach (I thought he won and said it), so we went for a play off, which meant doing our acts again. So I was fairly pissed and a little stoned.

Regardless of that I managed to do my best routine ever - both stepped up the difficulty and only had a single drop to take out the win. :D :D :D :D :D

Just to dispel the idea that I was intoxicated and so only thought it was awesome, I hit two genuine guiltless sections that had moves like smog, blurriest and ps whirl in them and I finished with a whirr :D. I also hit pdx torque, blurry whirl, phoenix, beta blur and superfly.

Choreography was not amazing although I know the song (Now your a man from Orgasmo) fairly well.

Great victory anyway - $100 :). Will piss it all away tonight :)

Colin
Flower Child

Post by Colin » 27 Jun 2009 08:03

Jeremy wrote:So I was fairly pissed and a little stoned.
Note: this does not mean angry and stoned.

Get thee to the weed and footbag thread :)
Colin Kennedy
ckennedy@footbag.org

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 27 Jun 2009 19:19

Jeremy wrote:Great victory anyway - $100 :). Will piss it all away tonight :)
:D

Sounds like a good night. How you could play at all while pissed I don't understand :(

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 28 Jun 2009 18:13

very impressive Jeremy, those are some impressive moves to have in an intoxicated routine.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 28 Jun 2009 21:10

Cheers guys, it was fun :)

Here are some messages from a girl on facebook.

First she put this as her status;
God: you are my desire no one else will do, no one else can take your place, to feel the warmth of your embrace. Help me find the way bring me back to you. Your're all i want! Your're I ever needed. Your're all i want, help me know you are near. Draw me close to you, never let me go. You are my desire no one else will do.

Then she sent me this message;
hey jeremy i see that you have on your veiw on religion is factually wrong? look im not the type to put stuff on facebook normly but today i felt like it. I am sincere in my faith and it would be nice if you did'nt mock it.... you seem like a sweet guy if you want to have a have tlk about it i'm diff interested in your ideas on how religion is factually wronge after all i wouldnt want to believe whats incorrecr. and in the meantime please change your status sience your not sincere about it. jen :)
And then after I replied;
Hey thanks for the apology you have some interesting views. I’m not here to convert you everyone has a right to believe what they want to believe. However I do find your views on religion and society interesting. Would you mind if I asked you a few questions about it? Let’s say for example if all Gods and God are made up and religion is just a way of living. If the right way to view religion is to see the benefits it has in society, for example the ten commandments love you neighbour as yourself, do not murder do not steal ect ect. So seeing the benefits we choose and pick keeping the moral conduct religion has but taking the faith part of it out. Let me tell you what you would get…… a world exactly like we have now. People trying to do what is right but failing because we all are sinful and selfishly motivated you don’t have to be religious to see that.

The bible wasn’t a book that was written all at once it was written with hundred year gaps each book by different Arthurs from different times. The Old Testament predicted unlikely events that the New Testament recorded. Whether people believe in Jesus or not everyone agrees on one thing Jesus did live and he was crucified he was layed in a tomb and his body went missing. There are records that show us that. After that, the story varies some people claim that the apostles stole the body to spread lies, others claim the authority at the time removed it. But why three days later? And why would the authorities bother? And how would the apostles remove the massive rock and what motive would they have after running away when
Jesus got arrested? Also the thousands of people who claimed to see Jesus alive after he died and was buried were they all lyers and crazy? What reason would they have to record the fact someone they ordered to be crucified was alive unless it was actually true? You asked the question why I choice to believe in God rather then the hindu god or another religion’s god? This God is the only God who doesn’t expect us to work our way to heaven as all the other gods do. Which is a good thing because no human could ever stop sinning! This God makes more sense then evolution or the big bang or any other theory out there.
Finally Google a picture of Laminin.
Laminin is a protein found in the extracellular matrix, the sheets of protein that form the substrate of all internal organs also called the basement membrane. Laminin is vital to making sure overall body structures hold together. You need Laminin in your body to survive just as you need Jesus as your savior.

Sorry if this is a bit full on but yeah I guess I’m a honest blunt sort of person I’m not asking you to agree with me just consider what I’m saying and make your own conclusions.

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 29 Jun 2009 00:10

Finally Google a picture of Laminin.
Gold! I saw another really funny one where some star or constellation extremely far off looks like a cross. So funny. I also got to see that in a room with over 20,000 christians so their collective intake of breath was pretty impressive to behold :lol:

Bloggy

Challenge

JeffOverbo
Multidex Master

Post by JeffOverbo » 29 Jun 2009 01:13

I find this stuff so interesting, especially after I took a course this semester at my University called core humanities. Wherein the instructor picked apart classic literature, Greek scriptures + the Bible, and showed all the faults throughout. The class was quite mind blowing, however, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I guess I would consider myself a positivist, where if fact and scientific examples were placed right in front of me I may buy it, but it is hard to remain positivist when you can clearly and easily fall on the line of gnostic atheist at the same time.

You need to make it to the states someday haha. You've got to be one of the one footbag players I'm really interested in meeting, as far as views on particular matters go. I mean, who else quotes Hunter S. Thompson?
Hi.

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 29 Jun 2009 02:55

it was written with hundred year gaps each book by different Arthurs from different times.
All called Arthur? Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

Anyway, she's an easy target no doubt and doesn't seem to be of the "I'll shove my religion down your throat" variety... so don't be cruel!
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 29 Jun 2009 02:58

my favourite chapter is the one by King Arthur.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 29 Jun 2009 03:24

I should give a little back story;

As far as I know I have never met this girl. We have 4 friends in common facebook, One is an evangelical Christian who I don't get on with at all. One is the bouncer of a club where I conned my way in to see Plump DJs for free by telling them I was a photographer and then posted the photos on facebook and somebody tagged him - as far as I know we've only met once, one is a friend of my housemates who I've met a couple of times before she moved to Sydney, and one is a guy I worked with for about 6 months who now lives in Perth, WA. So 4 people who I don't spend any time with and barely know. And as I said before I have never met her as far as I know either.

About 6 months ago in one week 4 people who I don't think I've ever met before added me as a friend on facebook. All four were evangelical Christians associated with the Hillsong Church.

Now you say;
Anyway, she's an easy target no doubt and doesn't seem to be of the "I'll shove my religion down your throat" variety... so don't be cruel!

But I am very, very suspicious of this whole ordeal. The whole thing sounds hilarious and crazy, but it's hard to imagine 4 people who I don't know, and who don't know each other, all adding me as a friend at the same time, with the only connection being their religion, unless there was something going on.

I think I even posted about it in my blog when they all added me.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 29 Jun 2009 04:17

JeffOverbo wrote:I find this stuff so interesting, especially after I took a course this semester at my University called core humanities. Wherein the instructor picked apart classic literature, Greek scriptures + the Bible, and showed all the faults throughout. The class was quite mind blowing, however, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I guess I would consider myself a positivist, where if fact and scientific examples were placed right in front of me I may buy it, but it is hard to remain positivist when you can clearly and easily fall on the line of gnostic atheist at the same time.

You need to make it to the states someday haha. You've got to be one of the one footbag players I'm really interested in meeting, as far as views on particular matters go. I mean, who else quotes Hunter S. Thompson?
Yeah I guess I'm probably a positivist, or pretty close. I certainly find metaphysical discussion exceedingly pointless because I can't help but ask "how do you know" after pretty much every statement. There's an interesting book by Clive Hamilton called "The Freedom Paradox." I saw Clive talk about his book and I've read pretty much all his work and am usually a pretty big fan. Even though I didn't like most of the book, I took a lot of it to heart - especially the idea that we're not really taking advantage of our freedom unless we restrict ourselves to a code of ethics or morals. Actually I don't even agree with that statement but I agree with the importance of restricting ourselves and I'm a big believer in hard work and being disciplined in achieving long term goals. I also very much agree that the must fulfilling life is when you're working for a greater cause rather than your enjoyment. Anyway that's a pretty large diversion. I brought up the book because early on he says something along the lines of "scientific minded people will probably not enjoy the next section and should consider skipping it." Of course I didn't skip it, but it was so on the money because it was a whole section discussing metaphysics and especially Plato and Schaubenhauer.

Anyway no real chance I'll go to the US anytime soon, but you're always welcome to come here :) Anyway I appreciate your support :)

Just went for my third run and have my time down to 22 minutes for the 5.5km, so 4 minutes a km which is nearing my goal time :). Had a sneaky vomit afterwards though :P

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 30 Jun 2009 01:35

So I got around to responding. I was a little unsure what to say but here is my reply if you're interested;
Hi Jen,

I agree that the world appears exactly as it would if God didn't really exist. Indeed I would say that this fact is the most convincing evidence we can have that God doesn't actually exist.

Your claims about the Bible are amusing. The reason the old testament predictions are correct is because the people writing the new testament knew what the predictions were and lied to make them match. The obvious example of this is the claims about the census taking place that is the apparent reason why Joseph went to Bethlehem when Jesus was born. Apart from the fact that the historical figures mentioned in that account did not live at the same times, the premise of having to go to the place where your relative 1000 years ago lived is clearly ridiculous and there is no historical records of such a census taking place, despite the obvious massive disruption to society and the economy that such an event would cause.

You're also completely wrong to claim that "everyone agrees that Jesus did live, that he was crucified, put in a tomb and his body went missing." There are no records of Jesus' existence written at the time of his existence apart from a couple of historical documents *that were looked after by Christians who clearly added in extra accounts to these documents.* Such documents can not be viewed as particularly credible.

Indeed the story of Jesus' death, crucifixion and resurrection is one found in many religions that pre-date Christianity. It almost certainly has its origins as a solar fable marking the spring equinox - three days later marking the first day where day is longer than night.

Your comments about laminem are amusing. This is a phenomenon known as pareidolia. It can hardly be viewed as meaningful. There are hundreds of different proteins in humans and the laminin protein is not even usually shaped like a cross when it's in the human body functioning as it should. It only appears that way when isolated and artificially manipulated.

You are welcome to ask me questions of course, but you should consider what assumptions you're making before you ask them.

Kind regards,

Jeremy

My responses to creationists, and indeed in almost all debates, are along these lines - just address the points the person tried to make as clearly as you can. Try to speak in as straight forward a manner as possible. Don't bother addressing the fact that she has no literacy skills at all.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 01 Jul 2009 22:16

Well this is awkward.

Today is my last day at work after being here 4 years. I have 50 minutes to go. It is a big event with lots of goodbyes, cards etc, and a pub lunch tomorrow.

However minutes ago I was offered a new job here as the telemarketing team leader - which was my role before becoming a data analyst, and that would potentially fit around uni.

I'll have to find out the details of course to see if it fits in with my life. But I will probably need a job of some kind and if it does fit in then I'll probably accept.

It would mean not being able to play touch football or train for football though, which probably means not playing football at all, which is a bit of a blow, but sport is certainly not a priority for me (although I really love it), so we'll see. Pros and cons :P

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 02 Jul 2009 05:42

but sport is certainly not a priority for me (although I really love it)
:lol: coming from a guy who plays organised sport every night of the week... would be impressive to see if it was a priority!

Bloggy

Challenge

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 04 Jul 2009 23:04

Yeah well we'll see. I only have sport 4 days now - we're no longer training for touch football and we've pulled out or mixed team from Wednesdays (largely because of 2 girls breaking bones and one badly spraining her ankle).

Anyway up North at my parents house today but ran a new pb since I started running again after my shoulder injury - although I'm not sure it's comparable. Anyway 5km in 19 minutes. Ran down to the oval and than ran 10 laps. It's 460m there and 460 per lap. My last lap was my fastest too - 1min 46sec - which is pretty good I think. 13 days til I play football again :)

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 06 Jul 2009 00:50

5.5km 21 minutes.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 15 Jul 2009 05:35

Tsunami warning issued for my location. Hilarious. That is all.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 17 Jul 2009 22:29

So major shittness. Got in a stupid wrestle with one of my housemates last night, which is partly my fault because of my lack of control, and a lot his because he kept hitting me over the head for half an hour until I snapped, and managed to fuck my shoulder again. Were it not for that, I would have played football today, so needless to say I'm still pretty fucking annoyed. I've trained for 15 weeks and played 1 game.

Still silver lining, went and played footbag with Lotus instead. We sold bags and busked and did fairly well - we made $170 from bags and $86 from busking. Lotus kept the majority because he sells the bags but it's still nice to play and make money at the same time, although what the fuck am I going to do with all these coins :P It was good therapy I guess because it's hard to express just how angry and then depressed I was about being injured again. I've been injured since February. Doesn't really bother me playing footbag though, apart from the constant pain. Played well anyway, so that was good. I'm giving up Aussie rules football and touch football for the rest of the season I guess, and not going to play either until I have absolutely no shoulder pain left.

Massive meh.