Jeremy

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy » 27 Jun 2004 03:14

Last edited by Jeremy on 09 Nov 2013 21:58, edited 4 times in total.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 27 Jun 2004 19:26

Monday June 28

Had a small session in my room since it was wet outside. Didn't have much space and only drilled some basics

Drills
I repeated these a few times. I found them pretty easy, but my weak pixie is a little inconsistant so I wanted to work it.
Magellan>pixie switch rep.
Smear>pixie ss mirage rep.
Smear>atomsmasher rep.

I also worked on my whirls - first drilling each component, and finished off with this combo - encompassing everything that I was drilling.
butterfly>whirl>butterfly>whirl>pdx mirage>toe whirl>pdx mirage>toe whirl>blur>pixie whirl>blur>pixie whirl>blurry whirl>blurry whirl. I tried to repeat at the end but only got a little over halfway. My whirls were definitly feeling better after that though. Especially my weakside, which is much more controlled.

I guess I did the pixie stuff for about 20 minutes and the Whirl stuff for about 40 or 50 minutes.

I was playing to the Gorillaz - their G Side Enhanced cd, and also some random stuff.
Last edited by Jeremy on 27 Jun 2004 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

brian relly
fan-tas-tic

Post by brian relly » 27 Jun 2004 19:28

I really really like that CD.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 29 Jun 2004 04:18

Yeah it's an awesome CD, also I haven't had it with me for about a year and a half. It worked well with that session, because I was just schooling easy stuff and it was nicely chilled.

It's been raining here (my parents house in Tassie) every day, and they don't like me playing inside so all I've been drilling is double around the world. I've had a few goes at a triple and definitly have the speed, but as yet nowhere near the control. I just need somewhere where I can kick. :cry:

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 02 Jul 2004 00:03

Friday July 2

So I haven't kicked since monday - which is a very long break for me. It was finally sunny today, but I didn't end up kicking until about half an hour before dark, so I only had a short session (maybe 45 minutes) and by the end I couldn't really see the bag.

My legs were feeling a little stiff, so I mainly drilled weak pixies.

I did this drill a bit - magellan>smear>pixie ss mirage repeat.
I have two problems at the moment with my weak pixies - firstly I'm not that great at controlling the height of the set - often it's higher than I'd like. Secondly I tend to have all my weight on my support leg, so moves like smear and dimwalk feel a tad awkward. It's getting pretty consistant though, and I think my technique is better on my flipside than my strong side - mainly because my strong side is much more ingrained. I guess the only problem with my stong side is what it looks like - I don't think my control of the set could get much better.

I also briefly drilled whirls. I did the blur>pixie whirl drill again and also just some long runs with whirls every second or third move - like butterfly>whirl>ripwalk>whirl>pdx mirage>whirl>pdx whirl>osis>whirl>ducking clip>blur>ss whirl>stepping whirl etc. (I don't know if I actually hit the combo I've written - but similar stuff).

I finished the session drilling superfly, but since I can only hit it on one side, this didn't last long (and I couldn't see the bag anymore)

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 03 Jul 2004 23:57

Sunday July 4

I woke up this morning really feeling like kicking. Had bacon and egg breakfast, made a new playlist on the computer and then it rained. Since I have nowhere to kick inside this put me in a pretty crabby mood. It didn't rain for long though and then the sun came out. I had to wait another hour while the driveway dried, then, just as I was preparing to go out side it started raining again, and I don't think it's stopped yet - about three hours.

I was pretty desperate to kick, so moved the car out of the carport and had an ok kick in about a one metre by two metre space (the rest of the ground was wet).

It was very frustrating because I didn't want to get the bag wet, and so couldn't work on anything I actually needed to work on since doing that would risk me kicking it out into a puddle. So I didn't drill barrages (down time and sets), spinning dex moves, sailing, fairy sets.

I did drill:
drifters, haze, whirls, shuflling.

Drifters:
I had balance problems, I can hit a single drifter pretty much all the time, either side, but hitting them back to back ends up with me losing my balance backwards. Same problem with bigger drifter moves - blurry drifter is pretty easy, but I still tend to be falling backwards at the end of it.

Haze
Fairly solid on one side, non existant on the other. The only thing I need to do, is try it more in runs! (and learn weakside)

Whirls
Getting better every day, I sometimes regress to my bad previous technique, but I can feel the difference between the old way and the new way, so can correct it. Really wanted to drill spinning whirls today, but it was too risky.

Shuffling
Not that I really need to drill my shuffle, but I did anyway - just hit some runs and also did a few drills
blur>atomsmasher>dod rep - I found it hard to step out of my weak double over down - I don't think I got anymore than 7 contacts on this drill.
smear>magellan>pixie switch rep - fairly easy, just felt abit awkward on my weak smear - need to move across the bag after the set. Probably managed about 15 contacts (rough guess)

I listened to Juno Reactor - Odyssey and Rage Against the Machine - Live and Rare.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 05 Jul 2004 02:41

Monday July 5

It was wet again today. Very depressing. I had a short kick anyway.

crispy dlo>pixie switch>dimwalk rep
Did this drill briefly - more as a warm up. Best result was 14 or 15 contacts. Had a little trouble with my weak pixie set - still need to remember to move across after the set - set is very straight, but because I don't move across, it makes the dimwalk and pixie switch hardish from that side.

Whirylgig
was hitting this fairly well. Hit it midstring a few times - maybe the first time I've done this, but wasn't much of a challange. Weakside was a little harder to do midstring and I couldn't manage to hit both in the same run. I need to start the second dex earlier on my weakside - some of the times when I tried it, it was a little late and could have been "the"

Weak spinning
Tends to feel like I either hold the bag on my foot for too long, or not enough time. Needs more work!

Witchdoctor
Felt good, could easily hit it mid tripless. Sometimes I stall the bag too far under me which makes it hard to set out of.

Weak Pixie whirl
Found it very hard to start a run with this. Could hit it out of everything I tried (blur, atomsmasher, witchdoctor and sumo) but for some reason the set felt wrong whenever I tried it by it's self. Eventually I got things feeling ok, but the set was not where I'd put it midstring. I guess it's a momentum thing and I'm not really sure if I should work to get good at hitting it at the start of runs, or if midstring is good enough. I tend to think the problem is my pixie set, rather than the whole move - I'm sure I'd have the same problem with most harder pixie moves.

generally my runs were a little short, but perhaps the I can blame the lack of space for that. Also maybe a lack of fitness from not getting to play so much.

I briefly attempt a beast at the end of my session (shooting butterfly>whirlygig>mullet) but my shooting set wasn't too good and I kicked the footbag in a puddle so decided to stop. I'm sure I could hit this combo sometime soon if I keep working on it - although i'm unsure which side. It's a choice of weak>strong>weak or strong>weak>strong but my shooting butterfly is pretty strong on both sides, so i tend to think I'll hit it on the first side first.

Listened to: Juno Reactor - Samurai

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 05 Jul 2004 09:32

I have a new goal which is to hit this combo by the end of the year!

Butterfly>ripwalk>blur>magelan>dimwalk>drifter>ps mirage>atomsmasher>pixie parradon>ducking butterfly>blur>atomsmasher>legbeater>ripwalk>blurry whirl>blurrier>pdx dlo>parradon>superfly>ducking pdx mirage>pixie ss mirage>tap>legbeater>spinning clip>diving clip>sumo>pixie warrior>blurriest>bs symp blur>witchdoctor>witchdoctor>pixie whirl>ps whirl

I'm sure I can hit every link, although I think there are some I've never tried (duck pdx mirage>pixie ss mirage etc.) Anyway I think hitting runs like the above is where I want my game to get to (at the moment anyway).

So next time I kick, I'm going to focus on drilling the combos in this run and I'll also see how far into it I can get (aiming for the first 20, but will be happy with first 15)

I'm also going to keep some running consecutive totals - which I will attempt to break every session. They are:
pdx whirl (current record probably 2 or 3)
atomsmasher (8 or 9)
drifter (3)
ducking butterfly (maybe two - although I have diving butterfly>ducking butterfly rep)
Barfly (2 or 3)
toe blur (1 or 2)
ripwalk (10 - 20)
Pixie ss mirage (10?)
peeking clipper (2?)
infinity (68)
osis(19?)

Please footbag gods, let it be dry outside tomorrow - I really want to kick!! Here is a sacrificed goat to appease you!

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 05 Jul 2004 16:23

I wish I could edit... cough cough nudge nudge...

Just wanted to say that my infinity record is 68 and not 6 - damn those smileys :wink:

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 05 Jul 2004 23:59

Tuesday July 6

It was sunny all day today, but at 4 pm when I finally gave up waiting for the ground to dry and kicked on it.

I only kicked for about an hour to 90 minutes and spent the whole time doing consecutives on the above moves. I was playing shit - the only things I could hit well were the shuffling moves. I realised that my pdx whirl, blurry whirl and PS whirl records are all the same 2.

Infinity - 19
This was so frustrating - especially because of my days ripwalk record. I don't know what the problem was, I'd hit about 15 every time and then just drop it. Need to focus more I guess.

Osis - 3
This was as frustrating as infinties - maybe even more, because dropping it meant the bag got wet. I don't know what was wrong, often I'd completely miss the bag.

toe blur - 1
I couldn't hit this once on my weak side. Need to start the dex earlier - kind of symple dex I think.

Barfly - 1
Again couldn't hit weak side. Balance problems and control of left leg problems I think.

Pdx Whirl - 2
Mainly balance and timing problems.

Ducking butterfly - 2
I actually think these improved slightly over the time, despite the low record. Just need to practice more I think

Drifter - 3
Hardly tried these, they weren't too bad but I still had balance problems

Peaking Clipper - 3
Had some serious balance and setting problems (couldn't set straight). In an attempt to correct the setting problems I started spinning later, which made me worry about if I was doing peaking clippers or osis' - Things went better when I tried to spin quicker and had more time to stall the bag - although the sets still weren't straight

Pixie ss mirage - 10
I'm sure I can beat this pretty easily. Felt fairly solid just need to focus more.

Ripwalk - 14
Need to try to make it a little more effortless, higher sets and slower movements I think (hold the bag a little longer).

Atomsmasher - 9 or 10
I'm not sure if you can count the last one or not - it was on my foot and I started the 11th but the bag didn't really stall on my foot. Another record I could beat pretty easily - didn't really have any criticisms. - Maybe stand a little straighter.

Well, most of those are pretty pathetic but tomorrow I will keep trying each move until I beat the records set today. Particular focus will be the ones that are less than 5. I'll pay particular attention to my weaksides.

Listened to: various electronic/beats and Rage Against The Machine.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 06 Jul 2004 15:28

Wednesday July 7

There will probably be two updates today! I came into my Mum's school (she's a teacher) and did a short demo for her grade 7 home room class. It went well - they were very excited and said lots of things like "you are so cool" which was good for my ego! :D

I didn't kick that well, mainly because I only got 6 hours sleep and am not used to being up at 7 am. Infact I think this is a record for the earliest I've ever kicked! (i did the demo at 9)

Later I'll be meeting up with an old school friend and maybe shooting a video... Will post about that when it happens.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 06 Jul 2004 23:32

Wednesday July 7

So we walked around Ulverstone shooting a video. It was ok, but I generally played shit. It was cold and windy which is a good excuse. I also minorly pulled my hamstring, so it's slightly sore (but certianly not serious!)

We then went back to my friends place and watched the footage. This was good because I learnt a lot about my technique.

First almost all of my double down moves were clean, and this was a big relief because last time I saw footage many of them weren't. I need to not relax about them though, and still try to hit them cleanly.

My spinning style is shit. I need to watch some videos and learn how to do it better. Even when I was trying to hit moves like double spinning osis I would move around a lot, lean back and not do a good job of it.

My whirls are getting lots better but I can still improve my technique. I have a very fast action, which is good, but I think if I slow it down lots I'll be forced to get better technique. I pass way too high over the bag and have a huge window, when it should be much tighter. Because of my speed they are all clean, but if I want to hit them easier I need to be slower, more controlled and tighter.

Some of my stepping is verging on slurry. Not really slurry - but setting across me, rather than straight up. I need to work hard to get this right I think.

I also can hit toe drifters about 99% of the time. Were it possible to hit consecutive toe drifters I'm sure I could hit over 20. I really need to treat drifter and toe drifter as completely different moves and do more clip drifter drilling!

Overall I was happy with my style, I think it's improved a lot recently. There are still problems, but I think I'll always be able to find faults in my game. It's just a shame I was playing so badly.

B_Man
Flower Child

Post by B_Man » 07 Jul 2004 20:36

Jeremy wrote:I also can hit toe drifters about 99% of the time. Were it possible to hit consecutive toe drifters I'm sure I could hit over 20. I really need to treat drifter and toe drifter as completely different moves and do more clip drifter drilling!
For sure man. I find toe set Drifters harder for some reason, and for that reason I always start out by hitting 3 or 5 in a row on each side a few times before moving on to clipper set Drifters. Perhaps I'm just strange, but I think toe set Drifters is where it's at to help build the leg speed (and the hop) required to hit this trick.
- Byrin Wylie

ShrEdmonton

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 07 Jul 2004 23:56

Yeah, I think the problem is my clipper sets not going exactly where I want them to, usually I can still hit a drifter from this, but not the next one. Also I hate having to struggle to hit a move and often stop and start again if I thought a move looked crap (even if was clean). I think toe drifters are harder because you have to do more of a dex - but they are only harder if your toe sets and clipper sets are equal.

Thursday July 8

Second day at working on those consec records. I decided that I wouldn't try to rebeat any records that I hit today until I'd beaten all the records. Which was a bit annoying because most of these I beat first or second attempt and then wanted to see how many I could get. I also wanted to do lots of drilling of pdx whirl, ducking butterfly and barfly, but broke the records almost immediatly and had to stop trying them. Actually I didn't break the pdx whirl record, but I thought I couldn't hit 2 the other day so I should have kept going. I'll only talk about the ones that gave me trouble.

Infinity - 25
Ripwalk -17
Pixie ss Mirage - 11
Ducking butterfly - 3
Barfly - 2
Pdx Whirl - 2
osis -6

Drifter - 4
I could hit 3 all the time but found the last one hard. Mainly balance problems I think

Peeking clipper - 3
Could only equal the record. I had two problems, firstly I wouldn't set straight enough, and secondly I had balance problems after the spins.

Atomsmasher - 8
I left this until pretty much last because I had a sore hamstring and wanted to wait until my legs were warmed up properly. By this time my legs were a bit tired and I while I had no problems getting to 5, after 5 I wasn't lifting my legs high enough.

Toe Blur - na
I didn't attempt this, I was going to do it after atomsmashers but never got onto it.

So I beat 7/11 of the records, which is ok. I played for 80 minutes (until it was too dark to play) and listened to various electronic/beats and Rage Against The Machine.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 08 Jul 2004 23:13

infinity -32
osis - 9
ripwalk - 21
drifter - 7
pdx whirl - 3

Kicked for 2 hours 10 minutes, played ok - was hitting weak quantum much better, and toe blur>toe blur is just around the corner.

Lost all concentration when my mum came home and told me she'd decided not to let me go to worlds due to my current mental state.

Plan on having a late night kick tonight until I am unable to walk for the next week.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 08 Jul 2004 23:13

infinity -32
osis - 9
ripwalk - 21
drifter - 7
pdx whirl - 3

Kicked for 2 hours 10 minutes, played ok - was hitting weak quantum much better, and toe blur>toe blur is just around the corner.

Lost all concentration when my mum came home and told me she'd decided not to let me go to worlds due to my current mental state.

Plan on having a late night kick tonight until I am unable to walk for the next week.

HackyRichard
BSOS Beast

Post by HackyRichard » 08 Jul 2004 23:23

You've gotta love that mum humour :roll:

14 days
Richard Pearce

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 09 Jul 2004 13:58

Drifter - 4
I could hit 3 all the time but found the last one hard. Mainly balance problems I think

Yeah, if there is one trick out there, its definatly drifter that i have a hard time keeping good balance on. I have almost hit 2 both sides...GRRRRR, though i did hit drifter > Pdx mirage both sides (sorry, went astray)
Chris May
Paradox=((5N^x^p)-54000aph^np)/adds
Its just about that confusing...

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 12 Jul 2004 21:22

Tuesday July 13

Had a good session. Didn't drill any of those moves, just shredded.

Some notable combos/runs were:

bs symp blur>sailing butterfly into a run that included blurry drifter>pdx torque and a drop on weak blurry drifter - also had a long shuffly combo in the middle.

Matador>sumo>phoenix>blurry whirl> dropped bs symp blur (dropped the toe stall at the end even - and it felt like the whole move was perfect till then :x )

I also hit the drifter>pdx drifter rep drill into a run and had shooting butterfly>whirlygig on my foot about four million times :x

So I guess i'd be predicting that I'll hit five fearless really soon and that I'll hit 6>6 pretty soon too. I don't really know what six I could hit out of whirygig. I guess mullet is the easiest, but I don't think I've ever even tried to hit it on that side. I'll predict that I'll have hit a beast by the end of the year.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 16 Jul 2004 23:38

Saturday July 17.

I've been neglecting my blog a bit - I've actually been kicking pretty much every day.

Today was good - I worked on drifters, eggbeaters, whirls, blenders, spinning and tripless.

Yesterday I drilled pdx drifter>pdx whirl>pdx dlo a lot and today I was hitting the combo fairly easily on my strong side. My dlo is feeling very strong.

My spins are getting lots better too.

I hit 10 consec drifters today, which is good - they've improved a lot. I still tend to lean back too much - but it's getting better.

I wish I had somebody to kick with... :cry: