G's Footlogger

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
innersmile
Multidex Master

G's Footlogger

Post by innersmile » 08 Jul 2004 04:48

Star date 8-07-2004

Well, this is my first visit to this site; I've been shredding for about 2.5 months.

So far I'm on 377 consecutives
13 consecutive inside toe stalls- they are working out
higher success rate than failiure rate with my clippers
Nailing clipper stalls way more but not enough.
Toe stalls are pretty much down without lavers
around the worlds on both legs improving all the time.
Step over when i fluke it every once in a while

kaos
Fearless

Post by kaos » 08 Jul 2004 05:12

Howzit Gregory. Good to see a fellow South African on modified. Keep schooling hard!!

When it gets a bit warmer, we should get together for a session...
Kobus Brümmer

"On résiste à l'invasion des armées; on ne résiste pas à l'invasion des idées" - Victor Hugo

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 08 Jul 2004 22:39

Yesterday I shreded for a total of 3 hrs and my legs are tired now. Not stiff but just heavy and slow and I think I may have aggravated an old thigh strain BUT no worry here. I am not touching a footbag until my Suday session so I'll get some rest.

Things are really going so well. Last night I figured out the key to step overs- need to jump a lil.

Sweet.
8)
Greg

Have love; will travel

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 11 Jul 2004 07:05

Phew...

I have just completed my usual Sunday shred, somewhere around 3 hours of playing and my legs are dead. I havent shred since Thursday but, I went out last night and stood round for ages.

I'm sure I broke my inside consecutive stall record but I wasn't counting. I can get them really often lately. I'll keep it at 13 though, hopefully nail 50 by the end of the week.

Clippers are ok, my clippers stalls need work. I keep setting the footbag too close to my body after a clipper stall but I'll get 'em soon. My balance is coming and im getting confortable in the postition. Work on consecutive clippers drill... I will get it!

I landed 2 step overs today in free flowing cicle play. my left foot's dex is getting there but my right is just a whole lot weaker and less coordinated. Didnt even land a right footed ATW... tut tut.

I am pleased of my consecutive record of 377. I'll keep it there for a while. When iI first started playing I made a goal for 200 by Xmas 2004 so I'm way over already. sweet.

Time too put the feet up and fall asleep infront of the telly. I do love Sundays...

8)
Greg

Have love; will travel

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 12 Jul 2004 10:51

another day, another session done and dusted... time to reflect

Not the most amazing overall session today but it was a goody. First off, I am well on my way to 50 consecutive inside stalls. 17 is the number that tomorrow will conquer. I want 50 by Sunday (it's now Monday 12 Jul 04). One thing I just can't seem to help is the way my hand goes spastic when I do an inside stall with my right foot (Im a lefty). My right hand tenses and go in this wierd curly position resting on my stomach with my fingers all straight... anyway, Im doing my best to get over it but it's really funny, I can't seem to help it sometimes.

I also landed a leg/step over with my other leg (the fb landed on my right foot) several times. I am going for 10 consecutive leg overs, when I manage 2 that is...

I am having trouble with consecutive clippers... something must be done! I'll give them some special loving tomorrow along with clipper stalls which were pretty mediocre today.

Had a good stretch after as well, my flexibility is coming along. I can touch my toes with ease anytime now and my hipflexors are getting stronger all the time. dex's will improve.

On a compltely different note my Liverpool FC shirt is waiting for collection at the post office. Brilliant! The new 04-06 home strip with Gerrard's new numer 8 directly from liverpoolfc.tv along with some red number 9 shorts (Cisse is going to rule so much!) for shredding and a 'viva' LFC mug to welcome senior Benithez to Anfield. I'll toast to that!
Greg

Have love; will travel

Colin
Flower Child

Post by Colin » 12 Jul 2004 11:55

innersmile wrote:One thing I just can't seem to help is the way my hand goes spastic when I do an inside stall with my right foot (Im a lefty). My right hand tenses and go in this wierd curly position resting on my stomach with my fingers all straight...
I did something similar to that for a solid year before it started to fade away. When doing an inside or clipper delay with my left foot, I would twist my left hand as far as I could (sometimes to the point that it hurt) counterclockwise, and my fingers would stick out in strange directions. My hand was imitating my foot, trying to flatten out for the catch.
Colin Kennedy
ckennedy@footbag.org

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 13 Jul 2004 22:18

wed- 14 Jul 2004

Only a wee little session last night, lasted for about 30 / 40 mins.

Nothing amazing really, on the whole it was pretty unsatisfying.

My cns inside stall marker moved to 20
Nailed a few leg overs bs (both sides)
Clippers sucked as did clipper stalls (I may have managed a max of 3)

Here's to better sessions...
8)
Greg

Have love; will travel

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 14 Jul 2004 10:44

Seriously, wow... What an awesome session! and I almost didn't shred cause it was freezin outside. I am so glad I did.

Lately I have been shreddin with some cut offs that go way below the knee but today I decided to shred in my new LFC shorts, proper soccer gear. I will never go back, ever. I'm gonna get me some more of 'em, maybe some Real Madrid ones would be cool. Anyway...

Firstly I broke my consecutive record with a real live witness! Usually I shred solo but this one guy was just chilling, watching me. I wasn't even going for it but I kept it up 'till 448. That alone would make a session complete, but the heavens continued to shine...

I landed my first ever Mirage, both side, twice; oh yeah!

I landed 2 conseutive step overs, twice (what'd they say his name was?)

My ATWs in-out are almost there, my right is a little weaker but also
improving

Out-in ATWs are another story though...

My clipper stalls were flying most of the time but there was a patch where the bag never even hit my foot for like 10 in a row, eish.

Toe stalls are ok but there are patches where I land 2, and sometimes drop I it from the toss, which sucks. alot.

Inside toe stalls were the weakest part of my shred today. I did hit over 15 four times or so but I just felt unsatisfied. I blame the hand...

The shred lasted for nearly 2 hours and I had such an awesome stretch afterwards. If you guys would like to improve your flexibility go to amazon and search for a book called "relax into stretch". The author is Pavel Tatsuline (I dunno how to spell his last name correctly) and I really reccomend that book. It will take your stretching (and strength) to another level. All his books are great but I'm getting excited, *SLAP*

I have decided to start a footbag club with my 2 shred buddies. Practice is at 4pm Friday afternoon until 6pm or maybe longer. I can't wait till the summer 'cause we're going to have the Friday shred at a really tranquil and lush dam and evenings there rule.

Oh, this shred happened on Wed eve. 14 Jul, the last post was from the night before; but you knew that...

Footbag makes me happy. 8)
Greg

Have love; will travel

joshpuffpuff
Circle Kicker

Post by joshpuffpuff » 15 Jul 2004 06:20

Giving a shout out to the innersmile from the Parkview massiv! Livin larj no wat I meen?
Been bagin it up!
Peace
'A bag a day will keep the doctor away' Josh

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 15 Jul 2004 22:51

well, I have shred every day this week and I don't regret one second of any session.

Last night's shred was fairly average if unspectacular. Here's the lo down:

Inside cons stalls- 21 is now the max... I'm still not happy with these

Toe stalls, really worked these last night and they are good.

Clipper stalls were nowhere near as good as last night but were there, kinda.

Atw in-out, ok... will work more though

Atw out-in, sigh...

I landed 1 / 2 mirages bs,

Step over are really improving but still on 2 consec...

This evening will be the first official training practice of our lil' footbag club and I can't wait. I'm rearing to go...

peace, 8)
Greg

Have love; will travel

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 17 Jul 2004 05:05

17 jul 2004

yesterday (16th) was the first official shred of the 'foot in mouth' footbag club. The jury is still out on the name and we're going to vote next session on a permanent one. I kinda like it though.

The 'foot in mouth' members so far:

Greg
Doug
Dave

We started out warming up solo for about 20 mins and then we moved on to circle kicking; which is such a pleasure when the people in the circle love footbag.

Nothing amazing for me individualy but I hit a few dragon flies (left foot did the dex) on one side, a couple of leg overs and one / two mirages. It was just a good sesssion with a good vibe, Doug's butterflies / dragon flies rule and Dave nailed his first clipper ever, in circle play! But I'll let em post about their feats.

My only gripe about the shred was that the ground was on a slope and uneven in patches so we're going to scout for a shred / ankle friendly place for next time.

We called time after about 1.5 hours and went to chill out, watch some telly (american ninja 4 was on last night, so cool), and not much else.

Today's Shred

Today was the first day in about 3 months where I had absolutely nothing to do, no plans, engagements, lunches, drinks, hang overs, obligations, or anything. I used the time wisely.

I decided to shred after almost having a shred free day. Ha, shred free day, what a kidder! I wacked on the new NERD cd and off I went...

The highlights or rather highlight of the shred was that I am getting really close to landing my first symposium. It's a good one for me to practice because I get to work on my clipper stalls at the same time (still need much more loving). The footbag keeps rolling off my ankle but at least it's now touching my foot. The turn was a bit awkward and it took some time thinking about it (before I go to sleep) but I'll have it soon.

I really focussed on inside stalls today and well, the good thing is that it's almost impossible for me to be so bad at them for much longer. I moved my marker to 22 consecs but overall I wasn't happy. I must have schooled 'em for almost an hour in total. I've decided to buy myself some Laver's when I hit 100. The 50 deadline is tomorrow and I'm a little dissapointed I did't get it. If not tomorrow, I'll set the deadline for next Sunday instead.

The rest of the shred was just fun. Listened to about 3 (2.5 act) cd's and had fun with my Saturday. Leg overs / Mirages and ATW's will continue to be worked every session along with butterflies and dragon flies- getting better all the time.

I want to start spins as well, and ducking. Next week I'm going to start with ducking toe stalls and some basic spins. Spins I'll dp without the footbag for a while until I'm comfortable spinning both ways and when my foot work is better. Need to stay in the same spot, not there yet.

Time to graze...

8)
Greg

Have love; will travel

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 18 Jul 2004 06:19

sun 19 jul 2004

Ah, the usual Sunday flea-market shred. A solid 3.5 hours of non stop footbag, pushing bags to the public, teaching kids toe stalls, and good thai curries. My game is probably weakest on Sundays cause of Saturday nights / stepping over kids / crowds etc. But, it's good fun. We have some kids that are there from the crack of dawn till closing, shredding till they fall over... safe. I wish I started when I was 12, seriously.

Nothing amazing happened for me today. I schooled syposiums mostly and came really close on a number of occasions but I need to make my movement smaller / faster. I did have the longest consecutive run ever. I wasn't counting but that bag was up for like a good 7 / 8 mins. I was dripping with sweat, and, sigh, girls noticed the hand. lol. Girls really seem to like footbag. No prob with me.

The usual moves were repeated adnausium and are getting better, albiet very slowly.

I didn't get my inside consec 50. But, yesterdays session paid off and the movement is so much more natural now. I was really happy with them on the whole which is rare.

Im broken now... late night, footbag, late night, footbag, fall down...

8)
Greg

Have love; will travel

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 19 Jul 2004 02:41

sorry, I have been calling osis a symposium. Osis is the move I will hit soon. Dunno WTF symposium is act. Apologies for any confusion caused.

I stupidly left my shredding gear at home but I'll go fetch it for my evening pre-kung fu sherd. I was going to have a rest but my legs are happy and wanna play... so do I.

8)
Greg

Have love; will travel

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 19 Jul 2004 22:58

tue 20 July

Last night's shred was a wierd one. Firstly, my legs felt alien to me for the first half of my hour long shred. I struggled to land anything, even my consectutives felt out of sync and I wound up chasing the footbag instead of keeping it under control.

Later on, I somehow managed to push my inside consecutive stall record to 40, which I was pretty chuffed about; but still, my legs were lacking sharpness and life, and that made the session pretty forgetful.

I did land my first ever osis, set from right, caught with left. I managed to land this twice but I must work on setting the bag up again after this, becuase I just completely tense up and lose my balance. Baby steps...

I think it's time for me use that old paradox of resting as part of training. My legs are'nt sore / stiff but I don't want to get injured, once was enough for me. I'll shred again on Thursday, maybe even tomorrow but not today. I'll be doing footbag related stuff though. I have been asked to write an article on Footbag freestyle for Blunt magazine, South Africa's own skate / surf / freestyle sports mag and I want it to be good, so I'll spend time on the web doing research and writting later this evening.

And remember, "Fill your home with gold and jade; and it can no longer be gaurded".

8)
Greg

Have love; will travel

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 21 Jul 2004 11:06

wed 21 jul 2004

Pretty awful shred today. Let me tell you about it...

Firstly, as you know, I have been working inside toe stalls to death. Today felt like the first time I had ever tried them. I dropped the bag in under 4 hits for the first 10 minutes and I must have hit 20 once. The number off times the bag rolled off my foot from the toss was pitiful.

Toe stalls were ok but my touch was too hard.

I did nail 4 consecutive leg overs though and clipper stalls were good. Clipper stall were prob the best part of today's session but still, I was very unsatified.

Osis, osis osis... when will you be mine? I yearn to perfect you so. Not a single fair osis peeked through the gloomy gloom today and, alas, a day has passed without your sweet smile. Tomorrow again I'll wait for you for as long as my legs can bare, oh osis, fair osis... :cry:

Well, I'm all choked up... Somedays you eat the bar, and, well, sometimes the bar eats you...

8)

Every shred has a silver lining
Greg

Have love; will travel

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 22 Jul 2004 22:30

The bar eats me again... (22 jul 2004)

Yesterday, after work I went outside to shred and let off some steam, it was a busy day. About 10 minutes into the sessions, I was warming up, doing some ATW's. On the third one, halfyway through the rotation I got this ungodly pain in my hipflexsor (spelling?) and couldn't put my leg down for I had frozen in a spasm as a searing pain shot through me. After a long second I managed not to fall over, and hobble to the sideline where I gathered my footbags, turned off the music, and went inside.

23 jul 2004

My leg is still super dodgy and I wil not be shredding until Sunday earliest. Suck...

8)
Greg

Have love; will travel

kaos
Fearless

Post by kaos » 23 Jul 2004 05:01

What shoes are you using at the moment? If not Lavers, then you should really consider investing in a pair, your game will definitely benefit from it. It is kinda expensive though, with shipping/customs etc. mine came to about R800, but that was sometime last year when the Rand was still trading at +-R8.00 to the US$.

But it was definitely worth it...
Kobus Brümmer

"On résiste à l'invasion des armées; on ne résiste pas à l'invasion des idées" - Victor Hugo

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 23 Jul 2004 05:12

Kobus: at the moment I'm using old Nike Air Max would you believe but they're awaesome. I have ordered lavers, white n navy. 2 weeks or so...
can't wait....

I hate being injured.
Happy friday everyone
Greg

Have love; will travel

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 27 Jul 2004 12:31

27 jul 2004

Today was the first shred in a while. After a weekend on the couch I was well rested and my leg was feeling a little better.

I took it really easy today. Just kept kicking various consecutive runs and schooled the basic stalls a bit. Clipper stalls were a little rusty but so was most of my game. It was really good to be back though, the shred lasted just short of an hour.

I've deicided to shred 4 days a week instead of 6 cause I think I over did it a bit last week. I'll start doing dexes on Friday once I'm sure my leg is good to go.

A wise man once said, "The ocean is king of all rivers because the ocean lies lower than all rivers".

good night
8)
Greg

Have love; will travel

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 03 Aug 2004 23:05

4 August 2004

Hey,
I know I have been neglecting my blog a bit but I have not been idle. I have just come back from a weekend away in Botswana which was just brilliant. Some serious de-stressing was done...

I've had a few shreds since I posted last but nothing out of the ordinary happened other than the fact that I struggled to get 100 consec kicks. Other parts of my game are getting stronger. I landed 10 consec leg overs and I also started drilling ATW; Leg over; ATW; legover. This needs to be worked though, I haven't done it on both sides once yet.

Osis is still far away...

8)
Greg

Have love; will travel