Fanzine

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 16 Dec 2004 18:17

Ha ha! Totally man. :lol:

Checked out the Japanese forums today for the first time in a long while. Apparently, Takumi hit his first 6 add last month: Blurry torque. He also hit dimwalk-ripwalk-blurry whirl. Tencho (Kimihiro Morishige) also looks like he`s improved a lot. Unfortunately, he works weekends, so I haven`t seen him in... over half a year. Maybe more. Sucks. Anyway, he posted that recently he hit the BAP drill, food, spinning zulu clipper, scorpion`s tail, and spinning ducking xbd rake. 8O It makes me so happy that the Japanese footbag scene is coming along so well.

I think I`ll make it a new year`s resolution to go to Tokyo at least once a month for the rest of my time in Japan, and hold teaching workshops where I give specific advice on concepts and moves. I think I understand furious well enough that I can teach it, and I know I have a lot of other knowledge that I have yet to pass on.

This time next week I will be in sunny New Zealand. I`m so excited for it. Last year and the year before I had such good times there, and this time looks even better in some respects. Specifically, I will be there longer, and I`ve bought tickets to some cool festival events which should be fun for kicking. Also, one of New Zealand`s best footbaggers was injured last time I went down, but this time he looks healthy, so I`m excited for that. Liam Johnston hits all kinds of crazy stuff. I think Johnny Murphy will come up to shred for a bit as well. The only downer this trip is that Floyd Morgan is still injured, but he can play foursquare and party, so I know good times will still be had.

I haven`t seriously played footbag in a couple weeks, but I`ve been playing basketball hardcore, so I should be in shape. I think I will play some footbag tomorrow too, but I plan on going lightly.

PS- big props to Damon for figuring out how to post again on the buggy boards. At the login page, click the `log me in everytime` box, and you should be set. :wink:

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

My first boxing day session

Post by C-Fan » 26 Dec 2004 14:54

8) <-- thats me wearing sunglasses, because its summer here in NZ. I already sunburnt my neck. Gotta say things have been pretty rocking so far. This was my first warm Christmas ever... I was tossing a frisbee and wearing a t-shirt on Christmas morning.

Anyway. Ill make this all more detailed later, but for now I just want to put down some details so I dont forget later.

Unfortunately, Floyd is still injured, so no shredding with him this trip. :? Still, we've done some battle-hack, which is fun, and I've still seen him hit gyro diving osis (no plant, upon my request) in non-footbag shoes. That almost makes it worse for me, because I know he's so good when he's not injured. I'm guessing it sucks more for him though.

Right, so yesterday was my first "boxing day" which was fun. I had my first freestyle session in New Zealand, and got to play with Spink and Liam Johnston. Hadn't seen either of them since the last time I was here. Sort of balancing out the Floyd thing, Liam was injured last year, so it was awesomeness being able to play with him when he is healthy.

We brought a stereo along to a not-so-great shred spot, since Wellington is incredibly windy. Its summertime, but it feels like fall most days. Today is a spectacular exception though, hopefully I can go play footbag on the beach. But back to boxing day; we had an awesome 3 man session. We listenend to a mix I made in japan, which was mostly hip-hop and 2 Many DJs, and from the start the session had real good energy. Spink seems to have lost all of his bails (guilts) from last year, and his consistency and difficulty were way up, which I was excited to see. lots of nice stuff, usually on both sides, like dlos and pixie clippers.

Liam blew my mind. I had an idea of how good he could be, from when he played injured with me last year, but it was something else altogether to see him play at full strength. Likely the second best Kiwi shredder. Void looks incredibly easy, ripsteins, can't tell which of his atomic sets is stronger....getting ahead of myself. Let's get some of the better specifics down. I saw inspinning dlo for the second time in my life. gyro dlo to fume. void to blurriest drop. rubberman to fairy same whirling swirling drop. SUPER clean reverse swirling blender. Oh yeah and...................................

Blurriest swirl! Super clean, super smooth, but I wanted to see a seal. But hey, you know me. Seriously, it looked so easy, that I am demanding a sealed one in the next couple days.

As for myself, I also had a real good session. I love it when everybody in the session has a good session. One of the most fun times I've had playing footbag, real memorable. For me the biggest pleasure I had playing was managing to hit lots of tricks which are hard/rare for me, and hitting them on my first try. Since I don't play with Liam and Spink often, I could give them the impression that I hit those tricks consistently, even though I totally don't. I had one run with strong side fury, and a flurry in it too, both ending on the same toe. I started another run with a very controlled flip fury, had another run start with a real controlled HPD, boulder beater, some other stuff. Hit what looked like a clean triadon on my first try as well, which had me real stoked.

Right on, like I said i'll pretty this up later, but for now id rather go out and shred, or just enjoy the weather. Hope everybody is enjoying their holidays as much as I am! :D Happy holidays!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

mo kiwi shred

Post by C-Fan » 27 Dec 2004 01:42

Good times continue, finally got a summer day. It'd been real cool and breezy until today, but today the sun came out in full force, and the beach and boardwalk were crawling with people. Liam, Spink and I played on the boardwalk and had a nice showboating session. We were all a bit tired from the previous day's session, so we pretty much just did long runs to show off the sport to random girls in bikinis, dogs, and old men. While the day before was a serious footbag session, where we pushed ourselves to hit our best, today was much more relaxed. I played in my swimming trunks, and Spink and I went for a quick dip in the ocean to cool off at one point. It was like icewater, so I only stayed in a little, but afterwards it was nice playing in wet clothes, since they kept me cool throughout. NZ has a very high UV index, since its right below the ozone hole, so I played with a trucker hat on, which was an interesting experience, since it was my first time playing in a cap.

It was just a real nice day to be outside, so nothing of much note was hit. Liam is annoyingly close to frontside legbeater swirl. I'll get him to hit it before he leaves town. I was also very impressed with tomahawk with no plant. It looks way better than regular tomahawk, and deserves its paradox add. Spink played very consistently, very well. Nice and both sided. I hit blurry whirl to stepping blender for my first time, first try.

Did some shopping today and ate my first kebab in ages, talked a lot of music with Spink too. Its always good when you can talk to footbaggers about things other than footbag. But the conversation also highlighted how out of the musical loop I am now that Ive been in Japan for so long. We also ended up playing a bit on cuba mall, just a light session for fun, and i really enjoyed that session. While yesterdays session was an epic, hardcore freestyle session, and todays beach session was a showboating stamina session, this last session at Cuba mall was just messing around. I felt real free to do moves I dont have dialed, and some more original combos and mix ups.

Thought a bit about some good New Zealand footbag names. Moa. Southern Cross. Maybe I'll hit some variant of WHAT!? and name it southern cross.

Gonna go be social. Legs still feeling good, so hopefully more shred tomorrow. I'm hoping I can organize a real cool footbag... happening in the next few days... I'll keep you posted if I can pull it off.
Last edited by C-Fan on 29 Dec 2004 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 27 Dec 2004 23:00

there's nothing sweeter than busting long runs full of easy tricks infront of hot, footbag ignorant, scantily clad girls, and then telling them you invented all of them. aah, good times. i wish i knew where i could get a kebab in the peg that doesn't have the taste and texture of card board.
keep us posted on what's going on down unda.
A.G.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 29 Dec 2004 15:33

Quickie post, just so I don"t forget everything.

Yesterday I felt great, since the day before yesterday I made a point not to play any footbag opr hjack even. So I woke up with all my muscles feeling really good. Me, Spink and Liam meet up at the Cinema, and I kill time by reading an NBA magazine. Its good to be on vacation. We head out to Cuba mall, and I have the hope that it will be an epic final session. We made the stupid decision to get there kinda early though, so it was prohibitively hot. That really slowed us down. We had real good crowds though, and we brought our own music too, so that helped. The surface was more sloped and slippery than I recall, but I reminded myself of how well we played there last year. Mentally it took me a while to get on my game... for me the key thing was switching to better music, and then mentally making the shift from wanting an epic session with new tricks, and changing that to doing another long showboating session.

Liam wasn't very pleased with his game during this session, but I thought he was playing OK. Spink was remarkably consistent throughout, and I was impressed that he throws in his harder tricks midstring, like paradox whirl and pixie whirl. If I have a new, difficult trick, I usually am lame and throw it out as my first trick. Not much stood out in this session, except for Spink hitting fairy same dlo for the first time.

The heat kicked our asses, so we decided to take a break, eat some Indian food, and wait til John Kingi got off work, so he could shred with us. Indian food was good, I introduced Liam and Spink to Mango Lassis and they dug them. By the time John got there after work, it was way cooler outside, and we had a better session than before. I still haven't hit a new trick in NZ yet. Still, I've been pleased with how I've been playing this trip. I finally hit Fury BSOS, but I wasn't happy with my seal on the second one:I toe kicked it. I came real close to BSOSing it a couple times. Spink hit flipside fairy same dlo for the first time. Both sides for the first time, on the same day. Good stuff. Liam played much better this session. frontside legbeater swirl! sealed to osis and a small run. Super clean, super big, fucking awesome. Got Liam to hit flailing same dlo, so alphabeta tapping dlo. Bill and Teds something. Liam taught me flailing set and I hit frontside tap, which is new I guess, so I suppose I have hit a new trick here. :? I also hit a flailing set on my flipside, so thats cool, but I dont want to piss off that ankle. I'll school flailing later...maybe in Japan. But I should get some tips from Adrian before I leave. Liam hit vortex to mobius. I had one run with bed, fog, and blurriest all bs in the same string which was fun. Phoenix bsos. Liam also hit fairy ducking drifter, which is nice. He also tried blurriest swirl a ton of times, and overdexed it a couple times. 8O Hes all over that one. Spink hit merkon to smoke, which is straight up stlyly. Oh yeah, I started one run with high stepping butterfly, then later in the run hit flurry using the other barrage, and then later hit janiwalker using the same barrage as the first trick.... there was bedwetter in there too.

Some casual footbagger called Seb also dropped in, and showed off his toe set swirling set. It's essentially phasing set, but without the fairy part. Pretty rad.

I want to go snag breakfast with Liam and Spink, cause I dont think I'll be seeing Liam anymore on this trip.

Been real lucky with the weather so far on this trip, and I feel real good that I've had one awesome session, and several real good sessions this trip. Footbag rules. Also real thankful that my body has been holding up pretty well, despite the multiple long sessions packed into just a week.
Alrighty, more later.

Next day: said goodby to Liam, see-ya-later to Spink. Started off the day by watching video of Vin-sanity (carter) dunking over a 7 footer in the 2000 Olympics. If you haven't seen it, I recommend you go watch it, then go out and push your symposium limits. Big rains today, so took it easy in bookstores and whatnot. Looks like I wont freestyle seriously until sometime in early January. Definitely looking forward to a good chunk of time off from free style. I talked to Spink about this today....

... a few years back I could play freestyle several days in a row, and my body could deal with it. But lately I've found I cant have do hard sessions for more than 2 days in a row. Why is that? It seems to me like there are 3 likely reasons.

1. My body is getting old, and not capable of healing up as quickly.
2. Im not as excited about as footbag, and therefore I cant ignore pain and replace it with enthusiasm instead.
3. I am doing harder tricks and longer strings than I used to, so its harder on my body.

I wonder. I'd like to think its reason 3, but who knows. I definitely do execute longer strings more consistently, and I do a lot of shuffle and symposium, and much harder tricks than I did a few years back. But even then, I cant help but fear its my body thats deteriorating. I really do want to keep playing this sport like 10 years down the line, so I think I should really make a conscious effort to change my playing style to make it less shuffle-oriented and lighter on my feet in general.

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 30 Dec 2004 05:48

1. My body is getting old, and not capable of healing up as quickly.
2. Im not as excited about as footbag, and therefore I cant ignore pain and replace it with enthusiasm instead.
3. I am doing harder tricks and longer strings than I used to, so its harder on my body.

I wonder. I'd like to think its reason 3, but who knows. I definitely do execute longer strings more consistently, and I do a lot of shuffle and symposium, and much harder tricks than I did a few years back. But even then, I cant help but fear its my body thats deteriorating. I really do want to keep playing this sport like 10 years down the line, so I think I should really make a conscious effort to change my playing style to make it less shuffle-oriented and lighter on my feet in general.
I dn't know if you've glanced at my blog, but I'm right with you on that one. I'm not *hysterical* about footbag anymore, because I don't have the time. I don't spend all my freetime footbagging / watching footbag vids / hanging with footbaggers / talking footbag ALTHOUGH I do enjoy kicking very much.

Like yourself, I on't have the physycal means to shred 4 hours every day, nad that's despite having quit the cigarettes and going easy on the alcohol. I too am aging slowly (well.. just as slow as everyone else I guess) and so I've decided to just play for myself, do what I want. Incidently that means going easy, having nice flow.

I'm dropping the shuffle.

I'm leaving it for the kids. ;)

Best of luck!
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

floyd
Shredalicious

Big ups.

Post by floyd » 05 Jan 2005 01:44

Ken - you are tough guy.

Thanks for coming and making summer as crazy as it was, keep me posted on your plans and any help I can give you.

Much respect, I look forward to the censorship of your next journal entry... :roll:

Sincerely, all the best

...until next time.

sPinko-Mania
Multidex Master

Post by sPinko-Mania » 05 Jan 2005 01:58

Yeah I had a lot of fun kicking, partying and just generally chilling with you again, very good times and I must confirm Floyd's tough guy comment.

It was awesome (hah) kicking to the grey album on Cuba...
Ben Spink McCarthy
They say God lives inside us. If this is true, I hope he likes salmonella. Because that's what he's getting.

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Re: Big ups.

Post by hacksterbator » 05 Jan 2005 21:12

floyd wrote:Much respect, I look forward to the censorship of your next journal entry
okay now i'm interested in what you left out. dish it up ken! did you wake up one morning to find floyd lying on your arm?
A.G.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

where to start?

Post by C-Fan » 06 Jan 2005 00:26

Man, I've been off the net for so long, its hard to know where to start. I went camping with Floyd and John Kingi over New Years, then stayed at John's place for my last couple nights in Wellington, so I didnt have a chance to check the internet for like a week. It was kinda nice taking a break really. The second site I checked after my absence was modified. So modified, take a bow, you beat NYtimes.com. :)

My return to the internet in 05 is pretty cool though, since I'm at Adrian Dick's place, which means I'm sitting in a La-Z-Boy, typing on a wireless keyboard, using a wireless infrared mouse, and looking at this screen projected on a wall, so its huge. Surfing in style. 8)

Max: I always read your blog, so I was actually even thinking about what you had said when I wrote my previous post. My problem though is I feel so comfortable with triple dexes. Today I had a session with Adrian Dick, Damian Coventry, and Stu MacPherson (more detail on that later) in which I wanted to play easy, but I still found myself doing stuff like flurries and fogs bsos. :? Set-less, dex-less shred just doesn't come natural to me. :cry:

I had a couple shreds in Wellington since my last post, but I'll write about them later. I had a session today in Auckland, which is still fresh in my memory, so I'll just write about that for now.

Some background: my last night in Wellington I partied harder than I ever have before. "Palmy Rules" can be summed up with the catchy phrase "don't bitch out." The morning after partying, I was still drunk. I was even a little tipsy as I got on my plane to Auckland even. You can piece together parts of the evening if you read every post on modified, but for now I'm gonna leave it vague. :oops:

The whole point of this, is that even today I was feeling kinda ill. I woke up and my liver hurt kinda deal. :? I mostly took it easy in bookstores and arcades, but I made a bad decision when I chose my lunch. I went to a foodcourt, and everything looked greasy except for Indian and Japanese food. But since I promised myself not to use Japanese or eat Japanese food all vacation, I opted for Indian. I chose a curry which I thought was mild, but was quite spicy, so when I met up with everybody for the shred, I was feeling really ill.

Playing with the Auckland crew is always a cool, unique feeling for me. When I first discovered footbag, some of the coolest (and only) videos on the internet were of Damian and Adrian shredding at 97 Worlds. I didn't meet them until 2000 worlds in Vancouver, but I remember it was real cool to finally play with them. I also remember for the longest time people asking me if footbag was played in other parts of the world, and I always thought it was cool to say that people in NZ and Finland played footbag. But I think its much cooler how now I can tell people that footbag is played in way more countries than I could say in 98.

So today it felt cool to play with the Auckland crew again, cause it reminded me of how excited I was about footbag when I first started out. Unfortunately, I felt really ill throughout, and even sat down when it wasn't my turn. I was happy to see Damian mixing up his game a lot. He was throwing in mix up tricks like stepping mirage, and magellan, along with his reliable stuff like dlo and paradon. His barfly got cleaner than last years too, and there was new stuff like pdx whirls in there as well. Stu was a nice surprise, since he hasnt been playing much recently. He played surprisingly well, for somebody who doesnt shred very regularly, but the most shocking thing was out of nowhere he hit a real long string with matador and sumo in the same run. 8O Adrian had some nice stuff. He hit a super clean Bigwalk, where the bag was clearly off his foot before the dex. He also hit a triadon for me, which was cool since it looks so different from mine. Nice and tight though. He also hit tapdown swirl real easily.

I thought I played pretty badly. I managed to keep my mental game pretty well, but my stomach just slowed me down a lot. It also took some adjusting for me to use big floppy abshire bags again. I found that they were real easy to catch, but they don't set "true." Like they dont come off your foot perfectly straight. Took some adjusting, but I still managed to hit some stuff. But yeah, my style is real dex heavy, so I like/am used to smaller bags. We thankfully ended real early though, mostly to save our legs for Summadayze (big festival/concert/rave) going on tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be feeling better for it, cause we want to shred at it.

Still feeling ill, so Im just posting this as is.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Last kiwi session

Post by C-Fan » 09 Jan 2005 03:05

I should be in bed by now...I board my plane back to Japan in a little over 12 hours. What can I say...I'm sad to see this trip come to an end, but considering how incredibly good it's been, I feel real satisfied with it. This was my longest vacation in over 3 years, so I feel real refreshed. I like playing footbag in different parts of the world, so naturally Worlds is always fun, but I also find it real hard on my body to play so much footbag so many days in a row. So I really appreciated that this vacation enabled me to play lots of footbag, but also get lots of rest time in between. I had my last freestyle session of my trip today, and my body feels perfectly fine. That's a great feeling. :)

The weather gods smiled on Auckland today, which meant the big outdoor concert in Myers Park wasn't cancelled. I've played footbag at this event the last 2 years, so there was a nice sense of continuity in finishing up the trip here. The highlight of the session for me was Kenny Stuart (the other OTHER Ken S :wink: ) come out and play, even though he had killer shin splints. When I first came to NZ a couple years ago, Kenny picked me up at the airport and let me stay at this house for like 5 days, even though he had never met me. I'm constantly amazed at how kind and generous footbaggers can be. I sometimes wonder if I would have met so many incredibly kind people had I chosen a different hobby to pursue. Who knows, maybe the international shuffleboard community is equally hospitable, but I'll probably never know.

The Myers Park shred was held in a big hilly park, which meant we had to play on an incline, flanked by two hills full of dirty hippies. That sounds judgmental, but its not. They were really dirty. The music was pretty good throughout, mostly dub and funk, with some funk djs in there. Pretty good to kick to, but it made conversation real hard. We played on a super-spongy surface, in the middle of a playground. On one hand (foot), this was real kind to our shins. But it also wasn't the most grippy surface, so we were all a bit apprehensive about rolling ankles. Luckily, things turned out alright. We mostly just showboated, which was fun and made sense considering where we were. The most frustrating part of the session was all these little kids running around, including through the circle. I'm not angry at the kids, but I think its pretty shitty that their parents are getting stoned and drunk on the adjoining hill and don't supervise their kids to make sure they don't get hurt. :? At least it isn't the States where they negligent parents would sue you if you kicked their kid. At one point when things got particularly bad, Adrian made me laugh really hard by facetiously exclaiming in an indignant manner; "where do they think they are?! A playground?! :evil: "
:lol: :lol:

Still, some good stuff was hit.

I think I was most impressed by Adrian hitting the biggest rubberman I have ever seen. Every dexterity was just plain super big, even the butterflies, and every set came up to chest height. He also had some good spinning bsos runs, like one with spinning butterfly and spinning osis bsos. The best combo of the day was probably spinning osis-eclipse (non osis foot)-spinning clipper (other spin) into a run. Damian also played very well, hitting some of the longest combos Ive seen him hit. Pdx whirl to swirl stuck out in my mind, and he hit drifter to torque real easily on my request. Kenny was out of practice and in pain, but still laid down some nice tricks, the best which was spinning ducking clipper. It always amazes me how some players who haven't played in ages, are still able to hit hard tricks that I cannot hit when Im healthy and in shape. :x

As for myself, I played alright. We mostly used a real floppy bag, which I found real easy to catch (hello pdlo every single time! :D ) but also really difficult to set consistently :x It was a Carol bag from 97 worlds. Everybody else was playing well with it though, so I tried to change my style and do less sets, so we'd all have a better session. I did manage to seal flip stepping blender for the first time, which was a cool feeling. I think that's my first new trick of 2005. I did have a lot of fun doing real long strings with lots of variety. More spins and fliers than usual. The sun in NZ is a beast, it really drains you fast. Still, we played a good long time and it was a nice session to end the trip on.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

My NZ trip.... by the numbers

Post by C-Fan » 11 Jan 2005 21:46

My favorite section of the forums has to be the footblogs. While watching new videos is always fun, and you can learn a lot from them, the blogs have the potential to show you what motivates players to shred. They are so personal, so insightful, when done well. Sure, you could post in the `new moves` thread that you recently hit flip DATW, but only in your blog can you explain why thats such a big deal for you, and illustrate for your readers the frustrating, but ultimately satisfying path that led you to said achievement.

That said, my own blog can often be rather verbose. :? So for a change of pace, I thought it would be fun to try and illustrate my footbag experience in New Zealand using numbers instead of words. Bear with me. :)

19 - number of days I spent in New Zealand.
9 -number of freestyle sessions I had.
6 -number of sessions with music.
2 -number of swifters I saw (Liam, one on each side!)
3 -number of 50+ proof, flaming, colored shots I drank with Floyd, Spink, and John Kingi my last night in Wellington.
4 -highest number of dexes I saw in a single trick (Liam`s blurriest swirl)
3.2 -rough average number of shredders in the circles I played in.
7 -number of triple dexes I hit bsos on this trip. (flurry, blurrier, blurriest, fury, fog, flaming tard, and bedwetter.
3 -number of footbaggers who let me stay at their house (Floyd, John Kingi, Adrian Dick)
5 -highest add trick I saw a crippled player hit (gyro diving osis, no plant, by Floyd 8O )
4 -number of seconds I exclaimed `aaaaagh!` when I saw Liam do a dragon reverse walkover. 8O
8- number of different sets I saw Kiwis hit on this trip (stepping, pixie, fairy, atomic, surging, flailing, nuclear, quantum... not counting alpine sets or spinning stuff...)
1 -number of footbaggers I punched in the nuts. 8)
1 - number of footbaggers who punched me in the stomach :x
7 -number of tricks I saw players hit for their first time (Spink: fairy same dlo BS, fairy same drifter. Liam: blurriest swirl, bill and teds bogus?, frontside legbeater swirl. Myself: flip stepping blender)
9pm- when the sun sets in NZ 8)
4:30 pm- sunset in Japan. :cry:
8 -number of months I have left in Japan.
Last edited by C-Fan on 12 Jan 2005 23:24, edited 4 times in total.

Adrian
Hack Fiend

Post by Adrian » 12 Jan 2005 17:49

Good to see you made it back ok !

I got some vids that Jo took of the Grey Lynn kick, and some pics too.. nothing great, but I'll post on my website soon.

Stay in touch

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

First Japan shred of 2005!

Post by C-Fan » 16 Jan 2005 19:35

Last year I had a pretty serious ankle injury, which forced me to completely lay off footbag for 2 full months from mid-April to mid-June. It was really depressing. I managed to get close to full strength in time for worlds, and didn`t reinjure myself there either. So when I came back from Worlds, I took it pretty easy, and planned on taking off time from footbag this winter just so my body could really rest up for a few months. Japanese champs got scheduled later than I anticipated though, and then I decided to hit New Zealand, so I ended up shredding through my New Zealand trip. The plan was to return to Japan, and go snowboarding on weekends instead of playing footbag, and to lay off for a couple months.

Lately though, my ankle has been feeling real good. I think I will still try to cut down on footbag these next 3 months, but not cut it out entirely. So the plan is to snowboard most weekends, and then hit Tokyo once a month and mostly teach while I`m down there. Like, not try and push my game.

This weekend I was about 50/50 when deciding whether to snowboard or play footbag. I ended up deciding to play footbag, and was real glad I did. While I was in New Zealand, I mostly stuck to my regular game, and so I didn`t hit much in the way of new tricks. The most promising thing though, was Liam and Adrian gave me some good tips on flailing set, but I wasn`t able to hit anything out of it while I was there really. I did hit frontside tap, but that move isn`t very cool imo. Full tap is cool, backside tap is also legit, but frontside tap just seems like you can`t do the flailing set real well... the plant almost negates the symposium of the first set.

Anyway, this weekend I went to Morioka for a 2 man session with Gochin. I really like these sessions. When its just 2 people, I really get a lot of time to give tips to help Gochin hit new stuff, and I also can skool new tricks without fear of cooling down too much between turns. Just a real laid back feeling.

For the first 20 minutes of the session, I just went for strings and had fun. I find Gochin can hit lots of new tricks, cause I suggest very minor mixups that he never tried before. I want to start getting him to go for bigger strings though. He had his foot on this combo though: schmoe-smear-paste-pixie butterfly, which I thought was real cool.

I decided to skool my flailing sets, and see if I could get them more consistent. Liam gave me some real helpful tips when I was in NZ, and using those, I hit and sealed frontside eggplant, full tap, and frontside legbeater all for my first time! I especially like the way fs eggplant and fs legbeater feel, how the 2nd dex leg just hangs in the air after the set, waiting for its turn. I decided to try my flipside flailing set, and was pleased to have some success with it. It definitely takes more effort and concentration, but when I get it the height is pretty good. With some effort, I managed to hit frontside eggplant, fs leg, fs atom, and full tap on both sides, all for my first time. I also hit frontside tap on my flip, but that was by mistake. I guess crispy flail is also new for me, but I don`t really count it. I also hit symposium flux on one side, which felt really cool. I can`t believe frontside atomic blender has been hit...

Towards the end of the session, I felt satisfied with all my flailing stuff. It`s a really fun set to do. It just feels fun to execute, like you`re flying. The last 30 minutes or so (we get the gym for 2 hours) I just messed around, and started doing uptime symposium whirls. I used to use this set to hit singularity, but I never really tried to hit anything else out of symp whirling set. Out of nowhere though, I hit symp whirling toe and was like 8O cause it wasn`t that hard. Eyeing the clock, I decided to see what else I could hit out of this set in the time alotted. I managed to get symp whirling infinity (no plant after the set) pretty quickly, and symp blazing ss symp mirage. My sets felt and looked pretty clean I thought. I the`d a few sets, but always could tell. I also hit symp blazing pdx mirage which felt cool.

The best feeling for me though was hitting symp whirling far legover for the first time and sealing it with a small guiltless string which also included... symp whirling far legover! I think that was the first time in my footbag career where I hit a move for the first time ever, and then hit it again in the same sealing string! That made me so happy. The last 5 minutes of the session, I kept trying for symp blazing far osis, but the osis really feels far, and its a tweaky move. I ended up having to stop and clean the gym cause time was up... but after sweeping the gym, I managed to hit it! :D I don`t think I`ve ever hit this many new moves in a single session, and I thought it was cool that I hit them all in under 2 hours. I know for a fact I had never hit 10 new 5s in one session before. This all felt particularly good because I have been playing footbag for 7.5 years. That really gave me hope for the future. You can play this game for ages, and still have lots of fun with it, still hit new combos and tricks, even after having played for so many years.

I think 2005 will be a good year in footbag for me. :)
Last edited by C-Fan on 16 Jan 2005 23:33, edited 2 times in total.

Johnny
Post Master General

Post by Johnny » 16 Jan 2005 20:22

Ken! I had a footbag dream last night, and you were in it.

It was really weird. I was at my elementary school, you were there, and there were some other people I've never met before. We were all on bikes, riding around. You left on your bike, and came back with some hotdogs that you said you had stolen. Then everyone rode away eating hotdogs. Weird, yes, but what made it even more weird was that you were completely 2d. You looked like a cardboard cutout, from that picture in your flipsider profile, where you are holding up the beer. When you would turn to the side you would be paper thin. Mosher commented on how he thinks its metaphorical for how I see you, as a picture on a computer, and not for someone I actually know in person.

I guess it was only a 'footbag' dream because you were in it. I thought I'd share. Don't worry I don't always dream about you! :P

We need to shred sometime!
Johnny Suderman

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 17 Jan 2005 01:49

Good stuff Ken, It's great hearing of a telented freestyler still learning an armada of new tricks nearly 8 years down the line.

Have you hit symp whirling same osis (symp. blender).
I really think that move looks super-cool.
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

Posi-Cole
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Posi-Cole » 17 Jan 2005 09:45

Johnny wrote:Don't worry I don't always dream about you! :P
Yeah, ummmm ... me neither .... *looks around nervously*

That sounds like an amazing session Ken. Hitting new moves is so sweet, and I always find the same thing, when they come, they generally tend to come in clumps. I'm patiently waiting for my next 'clump' of moves.
Cole Hobson

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 18 Jan 2005 19:41

Johnny wrote:what made it even more weird was that you were completely 2d. You looked like a cardboard cutout, from that picture in your flipsider profile, where you are holding up the beer. When you would turn to the side you would be paper thin. !
8O
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh man! That made me laugh so hard! You probably don`t know this, but NYFA (New York Freestyle Assosiation, my Alma Mater) used to make fun of my skinniness all. the. time. Bruce Dole actually starts some of his mails to me: `hey 2d!` Or like, people will yell out `ouch! paper cut!` when I give them high fives... or tell me to be careful when I walk over gutters, etc. Or if I`m standing sideways in the circle, they will pretend they can`t see me.

So the fact that somebody who isn`t in NYFA saw me as a 2d entity in a dream really cracked me up. I was inspired to mail a couple NYFA friends right after reading your post. I also think its funny that I did something illegal in your dream. I remember Rob telling me about a footbag dream he had where I appeared in it, and I snuck us into a club by throwing rocks at a bouncer or something. :roll: Seriously, I`m a very law-abiding person!*

Max: I actually haven`t tried symposium blender yet. I`m sure I could get it. My problem with that trick, is that you have to plant your set foot for it, which kinda feels like it negates the symposium. I sort of alluded to this phenomenom when talking about frontside tap, and it came up in conversation with the Cleaver through pms. With flailing set, and symposium blazing set, the moves only really feel legitimately symposium if there`s no plant before the next component/dex. Hard to explain. The example Dave used was symp blazing infinity. You can do it by planting before doing the butterfly, but it`s a much more legit move when you don`t plant the set foot until after the 2nd dex.

And thanks for the kind words Cole and Max. And Johnny, when we meet I will BUY you a hotdog. Right on. :wink:

* except in New Zealand.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 18 Jan 2005 21:21

I'm not going to lie to you, you do have a memorable face. I think you and Tom Mosher win the memorable face award.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 23 Jan 2005 18:45

So much for taking time off footbag. :?

Yeah, the plan was to lay off footbag as much as possible after NZ, and then come back in the Spring. But I guess I underestimated my love for the game. I mean, something has made me keep playing for 7.5 years, and it`s hard to turn off that addiction even when I think it`s good for me.

So instead of dusting off my snowboard, I ended up making a last second decision to hit Tokyo this weekend. What can I say? I love footba(n)g. :)

One of the main reasons I wanted to go to Tokyo this weekend, was to hang out with the Tokyo crew. Yeah, I wanted to play footbag with them, but even more than that I just wanted to hang out with them. I didn`t go down to Tokyo during December, since I was getting ready for NZ, so the last time I saw most of the Tokyo crew was at Japanese Champs in late November. Thing is, I hadn`t seen my Osaka friends in even longer, so I spent most of Japanese Champs hanging out with my Osaka/Kyoto friends, and only got to chill and shred a little bit with the Tokyo guys. So it really felt like I hadn`t hung out with Kim and the guys since October or so.

On Friday night I get into town and meet up with Kim at Shibuya. We meet up with a non-footbag friend of mine, then go get food and drinks. It`s good to catch up, and for the most part there`s no mention of footbag even. I love talking about footbag with footbag friends, but I think it`s even cooler when you can hang out with a footbagger and have good conversation without even mentioning it. I think the only talk of footbag was when I told Kim about a PM I sent to Andrew Grant. Andrew is coming to Tokyo in May, which I`m real stoked about. I recently read on the internet that he has taken up smoking again, so in an effort to help him quit again, I PMed him telling him Tobacco is illegal in Japan, so he should try and quit before coming over. :wink:

We hit a club, and I have a good time dancing, but my legs get pretty tired at the end of the night. I`m always surprised when this happens, because as a footbagger, I`d expect my legs to be invincible. :x I think basketball practice the day before was the guilty party though. I sat down next to some random people to rest, and wondered what they would think if they knew the random dude next to them went to world championships of kicking-a-beanbag-sport. I sometimes wonder about things like that... like maybe the guy sitting next to you on the bus is world champion of curling or something, and you just aren`t aware of that. Or when I take a break from dancing at a club and sit down, maybe the girl next to me is a pro-skater or something.

We make it back to Kim`s place around 6 am, and I wake up at 3 pm. :!: I watch Champion`s League to help me wake up. We slowly head out to Yoyogi park, and on the way bump into Takumi, who`s already going home. He says he has entrance exams for High School coming up, so probably can`t come out to shred until late February. On one hand that sucks, but on the other hand it`s kind of reassuring in that it reminds me how young he is, and how much upside he has. He will become better than me, which is real exciting. The goal now is to teach him as much as possible, just so I can take credit when he becomes one of the best in the world.

We get into the park around 4:30, and most shredders have left or are filing out. They`re all kind of surprised to see us, and I sense they`re also a bit disappointed. My decision to go to Tokyo was real last minute, and I didn`t tell anybody about it, but I think lots of players heard that I was coming, and expected me to make the Saturday session. :? :oops: Crap. I apologize a bit, and guarantee I will be there the next day. I hear that Takumi hit spinning pdx whirl back to back for the first time that day. He`s also hit spinning pdx whirl to mobius, and blurry whirl to spinning pdx whirl, so it`s just a matter of time before he hits 3 fives in a row. Kid isn`t even in high school yet. Watch your backs...

I hop into a dying circle, and play in lavers and long pants. Pretty challenging, mostly because I`m wearing long johns below them. I manage to start a `string` with WHAT!?! 8O which I`m happy about. I also hit double over down bsos. With that I`m out, since it`s freezing. I go hang out with a non-footbag friend that night, and vow to come back fresh the next day.

Even though my friend lives right next to Yoyogi park, I still manage to show up a little bit late the next day. :x Mario Kart on a plasma TV is fully to blame for that one. When I hit the park Kim, Keita, and Hearts are there. It`s cold, but there`s not much wind so it doesn`t feel that bad. Still, I play in a hat, gloves, and long sleeved shirt, and I pull up my socks for reasons other than style.

Kim brought a portable stereo, and since there was hardly anybody in the park, we could actually hear the music real well, which helped keep us moving in the cold. We actually ended up having a real fun and solid session. Towards the end I kept wanting to take a break, but I knew that once I stopped, it would be really hard to warm up again.

Keita hit lots of good stuff. I think I was happiest to see him start using his clippers more, as well as his flip atomic. I saw him hit atom smasher back to back, clipper set dlo. Saw him hit predator, which he says is getting easy-ish for him, and also saw him foot bladerunner and toe fog. Pretty close to fairy gdlo. The surprising thing for me isn`t that he can hit such huge tricks, so much as how easily he can hit them. When he hits a big triple like the ones mentioned, it always just seems real effortless. He definitely didn`t pick that up from me.

Kim was probably the most consistent player. His strings were usually high teens, sometimes in the 20s, and even though he tilts, they`re still good strings. He hit his first bubba beater ever. Also hit super clean barrage to phoenix, which I thought was a rad link. Hearts played pretty well, footed mobius, good spins.

In my last session, I hit a bunch of new tricks, but I usually just sealed them with a butterfly or osis, then a short combo. This week I wanted to try hitting them again, to make them better, and see if I could play out of them. Oh yeah, and I also wanted to show them off. :) The first flailing trick I hit was frontside eggplant, which got a big reaction from everybody. Kim and Keita thought it looked pretty cool... so they responded by both hitting it for their respective first times. Yeah! I managed to hit frontside eggplant to smog, which I thought was a much more legit seal than just butterfly. I didn`t do much with my flip flailing set, but I did manage to hit alpha smasher bsos for my first time. Started a run with frontside legbeater to pdx torque. Overall I felt like my flailing tricks were getting more consistent, and that soon I will be able to play in and out of them with better stuff.

I also played around with my symposium whirling set. It`s weird... whenever I think of it as a set, it doesn`t work. But if I just think to myself: `hey, do a regular symposium whirl` the bag comes up enough for me to do another component. Real strange... need to work on it. Anyway, I sealed symp blazing infinity with pdlo into a string, which felt a lot more controlled than my symp blazing infinities the week before. I tried symposium blender for Max`s sake, but no luck there. I try to really accentuate the symposium aspect, which makes me lose time. I think I could hit it if I switched feet faster, but it would look more sloppy and not quite symposium, imo.

Towards the end of the session, it began snowing. I`m pretty sure this was my first time playing in the snow. It wasn`t that cold though, since there wasn`t much wind, and it actually lent a real poetic atmosphere to the session. In celebration of the snow, I hit blizzard bsos, and threw a flurry into the same string. :D

Though there weren`t many people outside, we had a real funny moment occur due to 2 guys who were practicing dancing near us. Right next to our circle, these two guys were practicing dancing some choreographed piece, which was real flamboyant and dramatic. Now, whenever we play footbag, Kim usually has a CD or two with music from footbag videos. As it were, we happened to be listening to the first track from The Champion`s League. So whenever one of us was playing, you could see the 2 guys behind us doing their dance to the Champion`s League music, and it was like: `this is just like Ales` section!` 8O
:lol: :lol: That had us rolling with laughter. Too good.

At another point in the session, we saw a camera crew and photographers show up with a really cute girl. It was pretty obvious they were doing some outside shoots for a porno mag. You see that fairly often in summertime in Yoyogi. So like, magazines will often do naked shots in a hotel or studio or something, but will compliment those in the magazine by showing pictures of that girl looking cute in everyday outdoor settings. Anyway, so at one point they were filming/shooting her right by our circle, and I was like: `nobody the any of your tricks!` Then I thought, it`d be pretty funny if they put a mosaic over any tricks we did which were `the.` Let me explain. In Japan there is a law which makes it illegal to show genitals. So in mainstream movies, porn, tv, anywhere, there will be a mosaic which blurs out genitals. To this day, most of Japan doesn`t understand the ending of `The Crying Game` because of this. :? Anyway, the thought of us appearing playing footbag in a porno cracked us up, as well as the idea of mosaicing out our `the`s. OK, maybe you had to be there. Kim did throw down a good string as they were leaving, and I actually heard the girl comment: `thats really cool.` Nice work Kim!

We played a little bit more... I hit flipside pixie same drifter for the first time, after like 10 turns in a row. I sealed it with a run where I bsosed it. I also hit flip pixie same torque for the first time, but no bsos. So even though I didn`t hit as many tricks as last time, I still managed like 4 new tricks, and had some good links with last week`s tricks, which felt good. Overall, this session was just plain fun. The snow, the Champions League Dancers, good music, pornstars... just a really fun vibe the whole time. We all went out for dinner afterwards and stuffed ourselves, then Keita and I played Street Fighter games before I caught my train home.

So yeah....no footbag for me next weekend. Seriously. Ah, who am I kidding... :twisted: